Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Quote is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finished Partitio's last chapter.

I love that, even if very briefly, you do actually have the 80 Billion Leaves to Purchase the Steam Engine rights with :allears:

Also I swear there's a level design bug with Roque's factory, as the enemy pool's clearly the lower-level one from his factory in Clockbank rather than updated for the Level 45 range.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Re PartitioC4:Roque's clearly cheaping out on labor.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

I mean if we are defining super competence as using the ability literally called Do More Damage and stacking the stat the game textually tells you to then…I guesssss? :shrug:

Honestly, I have no idea what that ability is, I play the game in my native language, German. The German translation used names a lot more fancier for stuff, I guess.

Could be I'm even using it sometimes, if it's a basic skill. :v:

Fake edit: Since I'm now in a rush to beat the game before the new Zelda comes out, I've been clearing up optional dungeons and sidequests. I've now been able to reach insane damage numbers on almost all characters.

The current rough tally:

Hikari: 29k
Agnea: ca. 36k (multiple hits with around 6k damage with that multi-hit Scholar ability)
Oswald: ca. 48k (same as with Agnea, but haven't managed to stack the necessary buffs again so far)
Temenos: ca. 45k (as Merchant, with max boosted hirelings)
Ochette: ca. 32k (I keep forgetting to buff her, she's like 10+ levels beyond everyone else right now)
Thróne: 16k? (I keep pushing her towards more physical damage, but man I keep forgetting to use buffs)
Castti: 13-16k (She's a Weaponsmaster now, but I used her as a Cleric for masshealing so much, she didn't get much chances for setting up super-hits.)
Partitio: around 54k (Hirelings. Why fight yourself if you can pay someone else to do your dirty work?)

Conclusion: Huh. OK, so maybe the bosses could use a little bit more HP. :v:

Funny bits from sidequests

I wanted to share some bits I found funny and interesting, while cleaning up leftover sidequests. Contains some MASSIVE SPOILERS, so please don't read this part if you haven't cleared yet the following quests:

-Sleepy Fisher with Insomnia, Tropu'Hopu
-Playwright Needs Warrior Badly, Tropu`Hopu
-Weird Clockton Stories, Clockton (not a sidequest, but spoils some weird backstories)
-Octopath II, Ace Attorney Edition, Leafland Capital

Some of the stories from the sidequests are ridiculous, I love them. Some highlights I've encountered:

-The sleepy fisher in Tropu'Hopu has multiple fake-outs for characters' "sleepy-time" path actions. I knocked him out with drugs and had Thróne nearly cave the poor guy's head in, but every time he overslept again and made his boss mad. Turns out he needed the workout of a duel with Hikari to finally get some proper sleep, now his insomnia is cured!

-In the same city is a theater, where someone desperately wants a real warrior for his next play. If Hikaris is strong enough, he can beat the playwright up and get roped into playing a bad guy swordsman in the play. Hikari then accidentally invents the Farce by getting too deep into the role. But the audience loved Hikari beating up all the good guys, so now the playwright switches to making comedic plays! :allears:

-One of the weirder backstories from the people of Clockington (or whatever the city is called in English, my version calls the town "Clockdam", probably a play on "Amsterdam") you can find by investigating these weirdos involves multiple people. There's a guy immune to poison talking to a woman who is secretly an assassin specialized on poisons. The twist: People keep hiring assassins to poison him because they're betting on how long his immunity holds out. The woman was hired to come to the city and poison someone, but now got cold feet because she realized the guy she's supposed to kill is her first love.

Now she's sweating blood and water because she can't bring herself to kill him, for no reason because she doesn't know he's immune to poison anyway. She also doesn't know that people are betting on her success. :allears:

It's easy to miss, until you realize their backstories kind of reinforce each other, and they're standing right next of each other, staring at each other, and are clearly talking with each other. When I put 2+2 together, I had to smile at this convoluted, hidden backstory. (I think there's even a third person, another assassin, in some other part of the town, who gives you more details on this poisoning bet thing.)

-In the capital of the Leaflands (the German name "Lärchtau" translates to something like "Pine Dew", the English voices mention something like "-Timber" when the name comes up, sounds very different) you can enter a long series of quests to help Justice by interfering with some running court cases.

The first case is a case of an important relic getting stolen. Your help gets the defendant an 80-year prison sentence. :lol:

The second case is another case of important relic (the kind that's not only jewels and poo poo, but has political/cultural relevance) getting stolen. The judge is mad as heck but this time, you prove the defendant's innocence.

Then the mad judge gets murdered off-screen and your NPC-buddy is now suddenly the defendant for the third case.

And now your "help" reveals a convoluted backstory right out of a crime drama:

-Our guy is guilty as gently caress, and even used the first case to cover his tracks: The sword thief was his helper for stealing a murder weapon in a way no-one would notice something. Everyone would just assume the sword thief now sitting on Oswald's prison island had stolen both swords.

-The mad judge was actually a serial killer: He travels around the world, steals incredibly important state jewelry, and then covers his tracks by sentencing some random innocents to death. Our guy's parents were the two thieves you keep hearing about when exploring the world, the ones executed for stealing those sapphires, which are the Leafland's most important crown treasure.

Oswalds hears about this on his prison island, Thróne hears about this, you encounter people talking about the execution of the two thieves and if you eventually make your way all the way here and do thsi questline, it's suddenly revealed that the thieves had been innocent all along, and it's judge serial killer here who was responsible for all of this.

The story ends with our guy getting sentenced to life on Oswald's prison island, but at least he doesn't get executed, which seems to be the normal punishment for murder on this continent. Our NPC was nice enough to make sure there's enough evidence to reveal Evil Judge's adventures, he then (lol) apologizes to his little helper for getting him his 80-year sentence.

This quest line was very fascinating and a very twisty and interesting story. Kind of a lot of effort too, especially for a story you'll never get to see if you rush through the game.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Finished Partitio's last chapter.

I love that, even if very briefly, you do actually have the 80 Billion Leaves to Purchase the Steam Engine rights with :allears:

Also I swear there's a level design bug with Roque's factory, as the enemy pool's clearly the lower-level one from his factory in Clockbank rather than updated for the Level 45 range.

That bug must have been fixed on Switch, because I could have sworn I got attacked by completely new enemies when I went to the island for a short look (dungeons you don't visit won't show up on the map, so I obsessively touch every dungeon at least once, even if I don't plan on doing them right now)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Libluini posted:

Honestly, I have no idea what that ability is, I play the game in my native language, German. The German translation used names a lot more fancier for stuff, I guess.

Could be I'm even using it sometimes, if it's a basic skill. :v:

It's a Warrior skill so it's from one of the basic jobs. I think the fourth Warrior passive skill? It's the one that lets you break the damage limit.

Libluini posted:

-Octopath II, Ace Attorney Edition, Leafland Capital

Hell yeah, this side quest was awesome. I really didn't expect it to have so multiple quests strung together and such an actual narrative to it, not to mention a kind of bittersweet and uncomfortable ending that nonetheless is a satisfying resolution.

Some of the side quests really surprised me in this one.

Mod edit: Fixed spoiler tag! --HopperUK

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 6, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Libluini posted:

-Sleepy Fisher with Insomnia, Tropu'Hopu

-The sleepy fisher in Tropu'Hopu has multiple fake-outs for characters' "sleepy-time" path actions. I knocked him out with drugs and had Thróne nearly cave the poor guy's head in, but every time he overslept again and made his boss mad. Turns out he needed the workout of a duel with Hikari to finally get some proper sleep, now his insomnia is cured!

Huh, I always assumed that the "correct" solution was because the drugs/bonk are nighttime actions, so he gets some sleep, but not enough. The actual violence is the fix because you knock him out in the early afternoon and force him to get a proper 14 hours of sleep.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Huh, I always assumed that the "correct" solution was because the drugs/bonk are nighttime actions, so he gets some sleep, but not enough. The actual violence is the fix because you knock him out in the early afternoon and force him to get a proper 14 hours of sleep.

You know, that could be true, too. I honestly spend so much time on this quest, I didn't even notice the time changing from night to day, :lol:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hello, just popping in to confirm I edited Harrow's post to fix the spoiler tag. Continue to enjoy your octopus game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

drat that'll teach me to post half asleep :negative:

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Even though you can only complete the quest once per game, theTropu`Hopu playwright has different plays for each of the characters that can initiate a duel: Hikari, Osvald, Temenos, and Ochette.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Even though you can only complete the quest once per game, theTropu`Hopu playwright has different plays for each of the characters that can initiate a duel: Hikari, Osvald, Temenos, and Ochette.

Man, I wish you wouldn't have posted this, now I'll be sad the entire rest of the game that I didn't do this quest with Ochette. :(

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think the game lets you repeat the quest with the other characters? May be wrong there.

It's a cool extension of a late OT1 side quest where you could put on a stage show with either Olberic or H'aanit. Olberic's is boring, just being a bad actor, but H'aanit goes full ham and embraces being evil so much she literally scares off the audience. (My recap of that quest)

I'm glad they expanded on that idea for OT2, I did it with Temenos who rocks it but apparently all four options are great.

e: I can't not share these:

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 6, 2023

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I really like how you can succeed with absolutely random character mixes. I like being able to steal everything not nailed down so Throné and Agnea are staples in my party and I just mix up their secondary classes to whatever the other two randos don’t cover.

Warrior Agnea is so dumb I love her.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chasiubao posted:

I really like how you can succeed with absolutely random character mixes. I like being able to steal everything not nailed down so Throné and Agnea are staples in my party and I just mix up their secondary classes to whatever the other two randos don’t cover.

Warrior Agnea is so dumb I love her.

I eventually turned Oswald into a Warrior just because he rocks the outfit

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Libluini posted:

Man, I wish you wouldn't have posted this, now I'll be sad the entire rest of the game that I didn't do this quest with Ochette. :(

If you want to see them, I think someone else earlier in the thread said there’s a video floating around on YouTube.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

It's really cute, too. But I guess saying that is redundant considering who we're talking about.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

It's really cute, too. But I guess saying that is redundant considering who we're talking about.

I really love the detail of the way her ears move during cutscenes :3:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Yeah, me too!

I hope Beastlings show up in OT3, they had a lot of adorable inquiry text.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

GloomMouse posted:

I don't remember what bosses do it but just like you can put sidestep on your people to dodge a physical, there are a few bosses that put it up as well, also a thing that makes them dodge BP boosted attacks

EDIT: Decaying Temple is the one where you fight one on one with a sword guy right? he does the "dodge boosted" stance at some point. also the normal dodge x number of physicals. I came back later with Ochette when she could use her final chapter skill for better breaking, as well as just hit harder bc it was later. the hunter move that hits with the axe and gives you a buff will grant a dodge 1 physical iirc. I feel like you're "supposed" to use Hikari or just a warrior bc of the location, theme, and the warrior counter attack move but Ochette is cooler

Thanks! This might be relevant, but actually I don't think it's the main issue.

I played around more and I think there's something wrong with the Spear of Strength weapon (it's the polearm that is supposed to be a guaranteed critical hit, with nothing listed about affecting accuracy). I had it on Ochette and she was consistently missing about ~50% of her attacks with the polearm or with Beastly Fangs (which maybe were grabbing stats from the highest stat weapon?). As soon as I moved it off her she started hitting again, and then I put it on Partitio and he had the exact same problem (polearm would miss about ~50% of the time).

Very weird!

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

mancalamania posted:

Thanks! This might be relevant, but actually I don't think it's the main issue.

I played around more and I think there's something wrong with the Spear of Strength weapon (it's the polearm that is supposed to be a guaranteed critical hit, with nothing listed about affecting accuracy). I had it on Ochette and she was consistently missing about ~50% of her attacks with the polearm or with Beastly Fangs (which maybe were grabbing stats from the highest stat weapon?). As soon as I moved it off her she started hitting again, and then I put it on Partitio and he had the exact same problem (polearm would miss about ~50% of the time).

Very weird!

Spear of Strength is kind of like the first game's Werner's Sword in that yes, it technically will guarantee a critical hit... by just missing every single time you would attack without landing a critical hit. I think Spear of Strength just has a flat 65% chance to hit, nothing that can affect it, unlike OT1's Werner's which you could theoretically raise the hit rate of by boosting your crit rate.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Polderjoch posted:

Spear of Strength is kind of like the first game's Werner's Sword in that yes, it technically will guarantee a critical hit... by just missing every single time you would attack without landing a critical hit. I think Spear of Strength just has a flat 65% chance to hit, nothing that can affect it, unlike OT1's Werner's which you could theoretically raise the hit rate of by boosting your crit rate.

Oh wow! That makes a lot of sense, thanks.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

iirc the Shield of Strength' you get from the same quest makes you take guaranteed critical damage. The lady does mention both of the guys are idiots

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I am really loving this game and already hoping they’ll make another one. In a way I’m glad Redfall was a flop so I didn’t have to say no to people asking me to play it, so I can focus on Octopath :unsmith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Agnea's last chapter was a lot of fun :allears:.

Dearly loved how the boss "battle" was revealed to just be a VERY enthusiastic performance onstage, and I liked there was no outward connection to Shadow, just Agnea's happy journey to stardom :unsmith:.

My only critique is if you're gonna make the theatre a dungeon, even a brief one, iy should've had more of those random thugs hunting for Agnea as the enemy pool rather than generic monsters. Make it feel like you're still dodging those goons right up to the stage.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

But on the other hand a packed, enormous ballroom with killer eagles soaring around the ceiling is a loving hilarious image so it doesn't bother me

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

If you're a real Dolcinea fan you gotta prove it

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
As if I didn't love OT enough when it came out, OT2 is leagues better in practically every way. Partitio was my main. I visited family in Tennessee not long before I started OT2, so I was pleased to hear his English VA have a Southern accent. Fighting a peak capitalist steam train at the end of his story was icing on his industrial revolution speed run cake.

I've cleared all main chapters, crossed paths, and side stories. I got all of the secret classes. All I have left is the Journey of the Dawn side quest. My octo travelers are pretty evenly leveled (61-65). What level should my team be at so I'm not squished by the final boss in phase 1? If it's not levels, any equipment strats, items, Hikari skills or summons I should focus on?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

animeluva1 posted:

As if I didn't love OT enough when it came out, OT2 is leagues better in practically every way. Partitio was my main. I visited family in Tennessee not long before I started OT2, so I was pleased to hear his English VA have a Southern accent. Fighting a peak capitalist steam train at the end of his story was icing on his industrial revolution speed run cake.

I've cleared all main chapters, crossed paths, and side stories. I got all of the secret classes. All I have left is the Journey of the Dawn side quest. My octo travelers are pretty evenly leveled (61-65). What level should my team be at so I'm not squished by the final boss in phase 1? If it's not levels, any equipment strats, items, Hikari skills or summons I should focus on?

You'll be fine at your current level. The final boss isn't as brutal as the one in Octopath 1.

As for learned skills, my favorites for Hikari were Limb from Limb (you can find it in the Sacred Guard headquarters in Stormhail) and Divine Protection (I think this one's in the church in Canalbrine?). If you Sealticge Hikari he can use Divine Protection to make your whole party immune to a certain number of attacks and it's very powerful.

For Ochette's summons, there are a lot of rank 9 beasts that do double-hit attacks and also buff your team, which is super useful for breaking and buffing with her Provoke Beasts EX skill. This spreadsheet has a good list along with where to find them: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vd0ZS8QmKC14qlXw43jPm0ytzMy4nczKJG5CD5QSi3M/edit#gid=1604926792

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Go duel the Elderly Soldier in Timberain next to the castle for a fantastic Bow skill. Bring some sleeping or Nightmare bottles, because he is an old soldier for a reason :gibs:.

Then go duel the Judge outaide the courtroom for a Staff skill.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that staff skill is amazing and is how I swept random encounters for a big part of the late game. Just Step Ahead + Boost Start -> 3x boost Sentencing Gavel right away and almost any random encounter is immediately over.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Did Hikari's final chapter last, and I'm glad I did. The whole thing really does feel like the best climax to end on out of the eight. Especially with how it ends with a gauntlet of boss battles. And feel's loving great to murder your way through them when you're inevitably overlevelled by then.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I did Hikari's chapter fourth while my party was still floating around level 50 and that boss gauntlet at the end nearly broke me. I only ended up dying once, in the first fight. There were a lot of really close moments throughout though. I foolishly believed that duel at the end would be the final "victory lap" formality, like some of old PSX JRPGs like FF7 or XG or WA2 had, but I was wrong. When I finally clutched it out I was like finally... and then MFing Mugen gets up and does the whole "I can't believe this overwhelming power is overwhelming me!" thing that some of the other OT2 final bosses have been doing and I nearly threw my switch across the room.

10/10 game would recommend.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really loved Hikari's final chapter, it was one of my favorites. The choice to have no random battles but a boss gauntlet made for a really epic conclusion to the story, and I absolutely loved how insane Mugen's transformation was. Also it was satisfying to have an Armsmaster Hikari vs. Mugen using the same set of weapons. I normally had Hikari as a Cleric or Scholar so someone else could use Armsmaster but I had him on Armsmaster for that chapter just because it felt narratively appropriate, and it worked out great.

I did Hikari's second-last so I could have Agnea's as a victory lap and it was very satisfying.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
The only thing about Hikari's final chapter that I felt is a bit lacking is that we never ended up fighting Ageha as part of the boss rush. Like, what was even his point; apparently he has unused enemy data around Ritsu's so he probably was meant to be fought here but just. Why scrap this, he's such a nothing npc :psyduck:

Hikari was the 5th chapter I finished and the 1st of my second party, only had Castti, Partitio, and Agnea left. Finishing with Agnea's story honestly felt so incredibly fitting.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Polderjoch posted:

The only thing about Hikari's final chapter that I felt is a bit lacking is that we never ended up fighting Ageha as part of the boss rush. Like, what was even his point; apparently he has unused enemy data around Ritsu's so he probably was meant to be fought here but just. Why scrap this, he's such a nothing npc :psyduck:

He gives all those buddies you spent the entire story recruiting somebody beyond a bunch of faceless goons to fight. Hikari can't do everything.

I mean he could but that's not really the point of his storyline

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Rolled credits today. Such a great game!

The epilogue where you walk around saying hi to everyone again was so sweet. I didn't realize how much I had connected to the characters until then.

The final story boss was really fun. The team swap was a cool new mechanic, kinda wish it was used more.

And of course the optional boss is the same as Octopath 1 which I never beat! Gave it a couple tries but I don't think I'm willing to spend the time to figure everything out when every attempt takes so long.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Goddamn the last boss can throw down.

I resorted to a lot of Hire Beastlings to get the defense down, and Hire Foreign Assassins to lay on the damage and heals.

That and Armsmaster Hikari for pure damage once the defenses were down.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I'm still on my way through Octo2 on my quest to get the game done before the new Zelda hits tomorrow. It doesn't look good: 4 out of 8 main stories done, 2 out of 4 dual-stories done. But I managed to get something like 90% of all sidequests done!

Some highlights on my way to 100% completion:

-Going to a dungeon after misinterpreting something the Apothecary-guild says and getting two other important items (including a relic for the wrong class) instead.

-The optional dungeon near the western harbor of Toto'Haha has three items at the very end that do "extreme damage to all enemies". Did someone store their fantasy nukes in here???

-The second act of Hikari+Agnea was very sweet, and it made me stumble over a follow-up sidequest in Khu which dealt with Ritsu's sister. Agnea's sister is now Mikka's SOUL FRIEND. I love both how this reminded me of old 90s RPGs sterilizing same-sex relationships to "just be friends" to not make anyone upset and Hikari being an awkward third wheel the entire time. :allears:

-My first attempt at running the Khu Tower went awry at the penultimate boss: After crushing the first three bosses fairly easily, I just didn't take that war wolf seriously enough, I think. I dropped it into the red eventually, but not deep enough to prevent it to go wolf on my rear end in super-mode. Even use of my rare all-party revive couldn't get me out of the death spiral: The fucker attacked so often, the end was something absurd like three characters going from full health to death before my healer got another turn in. As my fourth member was already dead again, that was it. I guess I have to try again later! (To give some context: My party was in the range of lvl. 54-51.)

Now I'm dealing with Thróne's final story*. After that, only 3 left, plus a couple leftover optional dungeons and sidequests.

*Another dumb me-story: Only now did I notice Thróne was the last character left without Merchant/Warrior classes. Luckily, this also meant she had the skill points to rush through both skill trees at once! She now has two boost points and the damage breaker ability, like everyone else has. Despite being in my party so often as an inventor, I went through 80+ hours without really seriously spending any points on new classes for her. :shepface:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Libluini posted:

-The second act of Hikari+Agnea was very sweet, and it made me stumble over a follow-up sidequest in Khu which dealt with Ritsu's sister. Agnea's sister is now Mikka's SOUL FRIEND. I love both how this reminded me of old 90s RPGs sterilizing same-sex relationships to "just be friends" to not make anyone upset and Hikari being an awkward third wheel the entire time. :allears:

I loved the ending of that quest with Pala talking to Mikka and being like "haha wouldn't it be funny if you were my wife... unless..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

I loved the ending of that quest with Pala talking to Mikka and being like "haha wouldn't it be funny if you were my wife... unless..."

If you go looking in Timberain castle, one of the princesses there is stated to only have eyes for her childhood friend who works as a castle gardener and won't give any sutor so much as the time of day.

Said castle gardener is female, and her own analysis says she cares for her childhood friend. :allears:.