Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Geekboy posted:

Had what could have been a road rage moment, but I let it go.

Pulled out of a motorcycle show parking area, where there are motorcycles and signs about motorcycles everywhere you look. The traffic was stop and go. Moved a little further left in the lane than I normally do because there's a streetcar down there and the lane is shared, so I didn't want my tires too close to the slippery metal rails.

This SUV apparently decided lane splitting was legal because they just drove past me on the right side of the lane like I wasn't there. Based on how they continued to drive, they were just very bad at what they were doing and not paying attention. I kind of wonder if I'd have been rear ended if I had been in the middle of the lane to stake my claim on it.

I started to just move past them to take my spot back and then thought better of it. I honked and made some "whaddya doin' here!?" hand gestures and left it at that.

People are bad at driving!

I really don't think that's inattention, they wanted to push past you to get back at the annoying fast motorcycle. Assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Drivers in the greater Portland area are generally very bad. I'm not sure if it's a lack of proper drivers Ed or what.
Lane awareness, left vs right lane, going 5 under in the passing lane while keeping pace with the right lane so no one can pass.
Maybe this personal anecdote explains a small part of it: I work at a tech company that also has facilities in India. The Indian engineers come over here quite often for project support and other miscellaneous things.
I go out with them for fun stuff when I can - they know the best Indian restaurants in town and we go to museums or whatever. I've taken a couple of them out to the woods on my dirt bikes. This often involves driving and we got to talking about driving in the US. Pretty much all of them agreed that driving here was not a good experience for them. They didn't know the local laws and it was different from their local laws. They got a rental at the airport and were just expected to find their way around.
That gave me a new perspective on traffic and I've been trying hard to be more patient.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Drivers in the greater Portland area are generally very bad. I'm not sure if it's a lack of proper drivers Ed or what.
Lane awareness, left vs right lane, going 5 under in the passing lane while keeping pace with the right lane so no one can pass.
Maybe this personal anecdote explains a small part of it: I work at a tech company that also has facilities in India. The Indian engineers come over here quite often for project support and other miscellaneous things.
I go out with them for fun stuff when I can - they know the best Indian restaurants in town and we go to museums or whatever. I've taken a couple of them out to the woods on my dirt bikes. This often involves driving and we got to talking about driving in the US. Pretty much all of them agreed that driving here was not a good experience for them. They didn't know the local laws and it was different from their local laws. They got a rental at the airport and were just expected to find their way around.
That gave me a new perspective on traffic and I've been trying hard to be more patient.

There's no such thing as a "passing lane" on a two lane (in one direction) stroad/road though. That's a highway thing. Because both of the lanes are technically "service" lanes depending on if you need to exit right or left off it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Russian Bear posted:

There's no such thing as a "passing lane" on a two lane (in one direction) stroad/road though. That's a highway thing. Because both of the lanes are technically "service" lanes depending on if you need to exit right or left off it.

highway passing lane campers are 100% a thing everywhere in the US, including Oregon. it's been a while since I visited but IIRC there is plenty of 4-lane highway around the Portland area, it's not all 8 lanes of slab everywhere and 4 lane roads in town

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It's also not a law in Oregon that the passing lane in only for passing which makes it a lot worse than other states where it is enforced like Washington.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

oops didn't mean to post!! maybe i will edit this later to say something :hehe:

Each state sets its own traffic laws, as alluded to above and below. In California, you absolutely are supposed to stay to the right if you are slower than the normal speed of traffic, the normal speed not necessarily being the legal speed. If speed limit is 55mph but everyone is going 75mph (very common for SF freeways), and you are parked up in the "fast lane," you could ostensibly be ticketed for unsafe driving even though you are obeying the posted legal limit. I once came upon a car doing 5mph in a 50mph zone, on a windy road with limited sight lines. That is absolutely dangerous driving, and I hope they got a ticket.

On roads with only one lane, if more than 5 cars are following you, you are legally required to pull over at the first available opportunity and let the traffic pass.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 3, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Rusty posted:

It's also not a law in Oregon that the passing lane in only for passing which makes it a lot worse than other states where it is enforced like Washington.

I lived in WA for 25 years and have never seen that enforced.

Just this morning I saw a pickup pull out into the right lane of Hwy 99, and immediately get over into the left lane and stay there, about 5 under, for the entire 2 miles of two lanes.

Madness. Chaos.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I lived in Washington for 10 years and went back and fourth to Portland all the time and it was frequently enforced on I-5. It also used to be really noticeable, as people didn't camp as much, that was years ago.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

TotalLossBrain posted:

I think it's a weird mixture of passive aggression and lack of awareness in Portland, and it can be very frustrating and scary when you're on a motorcycle in the midst of a pack of only half aware drivers trapped behind two idiots, along with the occasional meth mobile held together with baling wiring weaving through traffic at 200mph. However, I would overall say it's far and away better than the D.C. metro I grew up in where driving any type of vehicle is basically taking your life in your hands and participating in a damned bloodsport. People back there are seemingly actively hostile to your continued living on this plane of existence, and they all drive like they have a desperate need for vehicular manslaughter.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
There’s a malicious compliance I see in Portland drivers that I don’t remember elsewhere, and always from the most dogshit drivers. They’ll decide you’re being too aggressive because there’s less than 8 car lengths between you and slow down to just under the posted speed limit.

They’ll then proceed to drive with one tire in the bike lane and take every corner like they’re a semi with 2 trailers. They all drive very safe hatchbacks because otherwise they would definitely die in the accident they will definitely have.

It took me a while to learn what Oregon tailgating was because everywhere else I’ve driven, it would just be regular following distance.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Fluffs McCloud posted:

However, I would overall say it's far and away better than the D.C. metro I grew up in where driving any type of vehicle is basically taking your life in your hands and participating in a damned bloodsport. People back there are seemingly actively hostile to your continued living on this plane of existence, and they all drive like they have a desperate need for vehicular manslaughter.

The DC beltway is the only place I’ve seen bumper to bumper traffic in all lanes moving at 80+ miles an hour. It’s a sight to behold and can be fun for a few minutes but I’m glad I don’t have to do it any more.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Traffic in Milwaukee would be OK if it wasnt for every single inch of the freeway being perpetually under construction

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

TotalLossBrain posted:

They didn't know the local laws and it was different from their local laws. They got a rental at the airport and were just expected to find their way around.
I've driven in a couple different countries and found it to basically be the same. When my wife and I went to Iceland the rental place didn't even ask if either of us could drive a manual, just gave us the keys. Luckily we both can so it was not an issue but I'd bet there are plenty of American couples in their 30's that between the two of them neither actually knows how to. Like if my brother and his wife went the two of them would have been right back at the counter looking for an auto. In Scotland I believe the girl at the counter did ask at least. In Poland I think we ended up with an auto but don't remember putting a preference. But in all 3 places we never got like, ok here are the rules of the road either verbally or in a pamphlet or anything. In Scotland I don't even know if they said like, hey remember to drive on the left. In Poland there is a law between like October and April or something that you have to drive with your headlights on at all times that was a little sign plastered to the dashboard but that's it. I was proactive enough to look up some rules and road signs and poo poo before going to these places but I'm sure there are plenty of people that just say gently caress it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In the distant past I did some work involving rental cars and the sum total of the disclaimer was a yellow sticker on the instrument cluster that said KEEP LEFT <---

Tourists causing crashes is an evergreen news story here, coincidentally

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I have to drive to work a bunch this week for reasons, and as I was driving home yesterday something happened that put the fear in me:
I was coming up on a green light that had been green for a long time, but I figured I might make it. Right then it turned yellow, and I was far enough from it that it was just barely the right call to stop, so I brake pretty firmly and check my mirror. The lighting and everything is perfect, so I can not only see the tradesman van behind me approaching fast, I can also see clearly that the guy isn't looking at the road. Dude isn't braking cause he's looking at something in the center consol area rather than ahead. I lifted from the brake pedal, checked that it was clear ahead and accelerated instead, getting away from the situation. I had to run the red light a bit but whatever. Then I see tradesman dude not only looking up but also making angry gestures at me since to his mind I was probably the one acting erratically.

I was a bit impressed with myself having the presence of mind to act fast and do what I did which felt good, but if I'd been on a bike it's very improbable I would have seen what I could see in the car mirror while braking and would possibly have been rear ended by some rear end in a top hat changing tunes or looking at his phone instead which would have sucked. Had I been riding right where I was yesterday I would have overtaken a bunch of cars and been way ahead of the red light signal, but still, now I'm gonna have the fear of the rear in similar situations more than before. Distracted drivers are terrifying.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

That’s the kind of accident I’m probably most afraid of. Good job watching out for him since he wasn’t watching out at all.

At least this person I grumbled about drove beside me and not into me, right?

One time on my scooter I was at a stop light and some giant fuckoff pickup truck from the suburbs locked its brakes behind me. Visibility for ages. Traffic stopped in the other lane. 2 lanes each direction with cross traffic being freeway exits and entrances. I honestly just try not to think about what could have happened and am more of a stickler for good mirrors than I was before that day.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Filter to the front as much as you can at a traffic light. Then you have a generous amount of crumple zone between you and your rear wheel.
I don't always do it, but whenever i'm the last in line i try to scoot forward a couple places.

Checking your mirrors before braking is part of driver's education here, to such a degree that if you don't do it, you can fail the test. Keep doing it. Don't brake (or at least don't brake hard) if you're not completely sure that whatever's behind you will also stop in time.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
A couple years ago I was fully stopped at a red light on my Scrambler when suddenly a work van coming up behind me just drives off the road into a ditch. I gave him the universal sign of "what the gently caress, man?" and he sheepishly waved back.

Apparently he wasn't paying attention and I appreciate him driving into a ditch instead of loving up my entire year.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Strife posted:

A couple years ago I was fully stopped at a red light on my Scrambler when suddenly a work van coming up behind me just drives off the road into a ditch. I gave him the universal sign of "what the gently caress, man?" and he sheepishly waved back.

Apparently he wasn't paying attention and I appreciate him driving into a ditch instead of loving up my entire year.

My first FJR ended up as an accordion b/c a young woman driving her dad's 5-series wasn't paying attention and rear-ended me straight into the Toyota I was stopped behind. Luckily I was thrown clear and only ended up with minor injuries, but it could've been real bad. That was ~15 years ago, and I am still to this day paranoid about being rear-ended at a stop.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's one reason that filtering to the front at stoplights is actually safer than staying in line.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Oregon has a lane filtering bill that would be in pretty good shape if Republican congress folks weren’t walking out in waves just so that they can obstruct the business of the government.

Their current talking point is that all the bills are too hard to read, so they can’t go to work. I know their base is the “own the libs” folks, but we just passed a massively popular referendum that bars congress members from running again if they miss too many days because people hate this tactic they keep using.

I didn’t use to have any interest in lane filtering, but watching Squid Tips and sitting in stop and go traffic while people look at their phones converted me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Don't get your hopes up, it wouldn't be the first time a Dem Oregon governor vetoed a lane splitting bill that was passed by the legislature.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Kotek isn’t the coward Brown was, but I am not counting my chickens until they are well and truly hatched here.

We’ll just keep proposing it every year until it’s passed. A few people will clutch their pearls so hard they break their fingers for like, a month and then it will be fine.

Perhaps politics should not be the playground of our richest, oldest, dumbest people.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geekboy posted:

our richest, oldest, dumbest people.

But those are a large portion of drivers on the road!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You could just do it anyway and flaunt the law.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I wish it wasn't such a watered down lane filtering bill. I am sure it would be awesome for people using the freeways and highways to commute, but that is the only use case of that bill.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I forward to Oregon drivers behind the judge, jury, and executioners of those who will legally lane split

No wait, I'm not

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Rusty posted:

I wish it wasn't such a watered down lane filtering bill. I am sure it would be awesome for people using the freeways and highways to commute, but that is the only use case of that bill.

This is not what lane filtering means. Filtering is up to a traffic signal while traffic is stopped or has mostly stopped.

You’re talking about lane splitting (like legal in California) and that will never pass in another state.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Russian Bear posted:

This is not what lane filtering means. Filtering is up to a traffic signal while traffic is stopped or has mostly stopped.

You’re talking about lane splitting (like legal in California) and that will never pass in another state.
The bill is Oregon is that you can pass cars between lanes when there are two or more lanes going in the same direction, the speed limit is 50mph+, and traffic is stopped or under 10 MPH. The text of the bill calls it filtering though these terms are frequently used in place of each other. Normally people use splitting when cars are still moving and you're going between them.

My point wasn’t about definitions anyway I was just saying it would be nice to filter up to stop lights on normal roads.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 10, 2023

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What do you mean by normal roads?

We had this same kind of bill pass in AZ last year. Riding across town is so much easier now. I think we agree on definitions and such actually, I’m just confused about what you’re after. Do you want the California type of lane splitting? Because sounds like you want to filter up to a light which is exactly what the bill offers from what you said?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Russian Bear posted:

What do you mean by normal roads?

We had this same kind of bill pass in AZ last year. Riding across town is so much easier now. I think we agree on definitions and such actually, I’m just confused about what you’re after. Do you want the California type of lane splitting? Because sounds like you want to filter up to a light which is exactly what the bill offers from what you said?
No, the bill literally says the road has to be 50+ MPH, it's for highways and freeways, most roads in Oregon have speed limits of 45 or less so it would not apply to roads with stop lights (with a few small exceptions).

Edit: better link with explanation: https://laneshareoregon.com/

Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 10, 2023

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Oh wow haha, that’s totally weird. Can’t believe AZ did this more correctly.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Apologies in advance if reddit screenshots aren't cool, but I found no better thread to post this in and I had to share. Identifying features have been removed.

Dude's going through a rough divorce, has been riding less than three months, and despite the bottom comment, the post history shows he took his MSF, bought an MT-07, put an ebay pipe on it, decided it was too slow. Then he bought a Street Triple Moto 2, then a Panigale V2 in a matter of weeks. I'm excited to see him take delivery of his H2 in a few weeks when he outgrows the Pani. Or he's making it all up, who knows? it's :reddit: reddit! :reddit:

I feel for him, at least she can't take away his new desmodromic personality in the divorce.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

spouse posted:

Dude's going through a rough divorce

quote:

bought an MT-07, put an ebay pipe on it, decided it was too slow. Then he bought a Street Triple Moto 2, then a Panigale V2 in a matter of weeks.

Sounds about right.

Reddit is such a great source for people making bad decisions.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
K.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Every thing about the 120%, from the font, to the spacing, to the kerning, to the fact that they even managed to lop off the top and bottom of the zero disgusts me to my very core.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I had to read it multiple times before understanding what they meant with forgiveness event. My mind first went to student debt forgiveness. Then maybe some tax thing. Then i read the 'trade up from X' thing and it finally dawned on me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BIG HARLEY DAVIDSON TRADE-DOWN EVENT ON NOW!!

ITS THE HARLEY DAVIDSON JUNE TO RUIN!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revolting