Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Mebh posted:

Jesus christ, it's going to reach fever pitch by Saturday with Charlie turning up in effigy in every hedge row, bag of sausages, spilt milk and cloud.

Also obviously thats two bananas either side of a shiny puddle.

Dalston man finds King Charles' face in his cum tribute to Diana - exclusive in The Sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Miftan posted:

I mean sure, but how would voter ID for postal voting even work (if anybody had any interest in implementing it)?

When I vote for elections in my home county I have to put my ballot in one envelope, then stuff that envelope with a copy of my passport into a bigger envelope. This way somebody can check whether my postal vote is valid without seeing the ballot itself.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Angrymog posted:

gently caress off. Plenty of quite broke (partially because they have a horse) working class people keep horses too. They're not just a posh thing.

Also, if I didn't have a horse I wouldn't be able to share pictures of cute little Apple to the discord.

As a fellow horse haver, Apple is a good horse. And a pretty horse.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but when it comes to English local councils (especially ones that don't even have an upload form on their website) I assume they mean scanned in a document scanner and you'll get return emails saying "no that's a photo" otherwise.

There is stuff like Adobe Scan and Microsoft Lens that can do a good job of squaring up a phone photo of a bit of paper into a scanned document now, but do many people even use those?

I use Adobe Scan a lot for receipts as I am in charge of the petty cash at work as well as being Chief Office Milk Buyer on Mondays.
Also taught one of my colleagues to use it so when she was abroad (on work business) she could easily submit her receipts every day so could keep up with the expenditure instead of the usual 'oh god what was that for' or 'where's the receipt for that £100 you spent on overnight accommodation'

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 3, 2023

Mebh
May 10, 2010

kingturnip posted:

Not a huge fan of the overly showy style he's got going on. Makes him sound like he's trying to sell me the world's most shatter-resistant beer mug.

For sure, but given how poo poo Starmer's Labour is about anyone saying anything that might offend a mythical red wall racist, I'm amazed he's allowed to say that about the Royals. Makes me wonder what is actually going on. Maybe he's just entirely unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

At this point I can't actually be bothered to vote for anyone, they're all pretty rubbish.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

The grown up adults just getting clowned on by even the most basic questions from GMB

https://twitter.com/toryfibs/status/1653663981704192001?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

:laffo: that some said her talent was wasted by Corbyn keeping her in the back benches. Who thinks this lady communicates well?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wasn't Clive Lewis accused of some horrible poo poo? I genuinely can't remember at this point what was or wasn't insane bullshit against anyone on the Labour left.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Wasn't Clive Lewis accused of some horrible poo poo? I genuinely can't remember at this point what was or wasn't insane bullshit against anyone on the Labour left.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/20/labour-mp-clive-lewis-apologises-for-get-on-your-knees-comment

I think this was it. pretty low stakes really but this was during peak Corbyn derangement where the slightest infraction by the labour party generated 3 days of wall-to-wall coverage.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

winegums posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/20/labour-mp-clive-lewis-apologises-for-get-on-your-knees-comment

I think this was it. pretty low stakes really but this was during peak Corbyn derangement where the slightest infraction by the labour party generated 3 days of wall-to-wall coverage.

That's the one I remember, but I seem to recall some other controversy later on. Honestly doubt he's a piece of poo poo but couldn't shake a memory cobweb.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

That's the one I remember, but I seem to recall some other controversy later on. Honestly doubt he's a piece of poo poo but couldn't shake a memory cobweb.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/03/labour-mp-clive-lewis-denies-allegation-he-groped-woman

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hmm, if that's genuinely it then it's less worrisome than I thought

to be clear I'm not conflating him with that freak former councillor turned MP who decided to become The King Arch-Blairite to Arch-Corbynite who ended up just becoming the Antisemitism Nihilanth

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

hmm, if that's genuinely it then it's less worrisome than I thought

to be clear I'm not conflating him with that freak former councillor turned MP who decided to become The King Arch-Blairite to Arch-Corbynite who ended up just becoming the Antisemitism Nihilanth

Can't find anything other than the grope accusation and the knees comment both Oct/Nov 2017.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Good, I'm glad to know I can nod in agreement with him without fear of endorsing Problems.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1653882759851515906?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just give Don't Know the position already

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Mebh posted:

Meanwhile Clive Lewis continues to be not poo poo. A low bar these days.

https://twitter.com/labourlewis/status/1653671071869030402

Christ he's aged terribly.

Also, thought he got his rear end Me-Too'd?

EDIT: seen links above now

Also: Rachel Reeves responding to, "he's broken this massive list of campaign promises" with "yes but listen to these OTHER promises he's made" is absolutely laughable.

Mourning Due fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 4, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mourning Due posted:

Also: Rachel Reeves responding to, "he's broken this massive list of campaign promises" with "yes but listen to these OTHER promises he's made" is absolutely laughable.

Just classic "gotta talk about something else" political optics.

It's like when a journalist asks the PM why he got his dick stuck in a can opener and he replies "the British people aren't interested in petty Westminster drama, what I want to talk about is how I've given everyone a puppy and will continue to do so throughout this parliament"

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Ha I’d completely forgotten it was local elections today until I saw some dickhead complaining about Peston ‘undermining Starmer on election day’, shows how enthused I am about the choices on offer.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Nonsense posted:

:laffo: that some said her talent was wasted by Corbyn keeping her in the back benches. Who thinks this lady communicates well?

Its actually embarrassing how GMB of all places is holding labour to account on their incredibly "we'll say and do anything, please dont hstr us" policy platform, more than any of the actual news outlets.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Got to see a turn away. Lady had gotten divorced and her ID still had her married name :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm going through the process of getting my first name changed on everything, so at some point my passport is not gonna match whatever the council have on file, because I have no idea how to change that. Fun times!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Noxville posted:

Ha I’d completely forgotten it was local elections today until I saw some dickhead complaining about Peston ‘undermining Starmer on election day’, shows how enthused I am about the choices on offer.

Why would Peston, a nominal journalist, be "undermining" Starmer when he's not subservient to him? Are they complaining that he's reporting on something actually happening?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I like how this makes it sound as if his previous career was Batman

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1653821724197044226?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

peanut- posted:

God the Spitting Image reboot was utter shite.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

Can't believe a show written by Matt Forde flopped

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Keir Starmer is a god of politics: He can make a truly unbreakable promise and then still break it.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

peanut- posted:

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1653821724197044226?s=20

I also don't thing 13,000 covers the number lost since 2008 by a factor of like, 10, and additionally I dont think local councils have any say on police spending, i think that comes from the home office.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tesseraction posted:

I thought that Foxman was Jo Maugham QC KC?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I know I should care about stuff but local politics is confusing. drat

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

I thought that Foxman was Jo Maugham QC KC?

No he is the arch-nemsis of Foxman in this scenario, for he is Shovelman.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
no elections here in lambeth (unless i'm mistaken) but it always feel like picking which dickheads to wave through lovely unaffordable housing project

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I know I should care about stuff but local politics is confusing. drat

Worth the effort when your vote has a much higher chance of mattering, though

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Thanks to me and my wife we actually got a candidate on the ballot. Very little chance they will win but it's pretty assuredly the most influence on politics I will ever have in my life.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'm having trouble getting motivated enough to vote.

It's a choice between Greens and Labour here (well there's the blue and yellow tories too, but who cares) and I don't really like either right now - the greens went hard NIMBY on affordable housing last time, in one of the top CoL places in the country, while Labour is, well, current Labour.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Doing nothing continues the 13 year status quo, vote for not-blue to help stir the pot and worry about ideological purity later.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Szmitten posted:

Doing nothing continues the 13 year status quo, vote for not-blue to help stir the pot and worry about ideological purity later.

"trans people should have a right to exist" is a step too far along the ideological purity scale

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
There are two local parties so I'm just gonna vote for the noticeably-less-poo poo one. Cos I would much, much rather vote for a local party than Labour or the Piss Diamonds

Clarence
May 3, 2012

I've a choice between Tory and LibDem, that's it. Not even a Labour candidate to turn my nose up at, or an independent with questionable views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Seems like a good way to get your ear cut off with a cut throat razor

https://twitter.com/thesecretclp/status/1275104136267169792?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg