Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

tonedef131 posted:

The third style are countertop presses and reamers. These can be motorized or not. Some use a lever to press a cup down onto a cone coaxing the juice out with force alone. Others are just a ream mounted above a container and you push directly with your hand and can twist back and forth. There are also combinations of the two with a powered ream that spins while a lever with a cup or your hand directly pushes down onto the fruit.
Pros:
- Super easy and fast to use.
- Excellent yield.
Cons:
- Some smaller ones can be put into a cabinet but most will require counter space.
- Can over extract if the pith gets ran into the ream, which can be detrimental to flavor.

I have a manual reamer of this variety. It's great. It is pretty small so it doesn't have to live on my counter, and has two sizes of reamer that attach to the container, so it works for limes as well as oranges and I've even used it for grapefruit as well. If I were reaming a ton of fruits this way, I'd have to dump out the reamer/filter on top that catches the pith and crap in between every couple of fruits, but I think it'd be fine. I use this instead of those handheld press ones because I find it much easier to use without having my hand cramp up, and it gets much more juice out of the fruit in my experience.

this is it: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Citrus-Juicer/dp/B07PY5HP46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Yeah reamer styles really are the way to go if you are ever doing larger volumes or care much about extraction efficiency. I have one of the Breville powered ones and it’s been one of the best appliances I’ve ever owned. I can churn through a bag of citrus in under 5 minuets and it does a pretty good job catching the majority of the pulp. My only complaint is the the cup can be kinda picky about pointy lemon ends and it’ll want to spin the fruit so you have to trim those.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I still use one of these :)

4-5 lemons/limes each are enough to fill my citrus squeezy bottles and that's 1-2 weeks worth of each juice, takes about 15-20 seconds per fruit half and does great, it's wide enough that it can handle 4-5 of a fruit before I have to clean the pith and such out of the top half.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
You keep citrus juice for that long? I used to do that but it really is noticeably better fresh. I still haven't tried doing superjuice or whatever so maybe that would store better but I'm just making drinks for myself and maybe one or two other people at my house a couple times a week, so it's not that bad to just juice fresh every time.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It rarely lasts me more than a week tbh, but I agree that more than 2-3 weeks you can start to tell the difference

lemons and limes are cheap enough here that I'll just grab a few every week when we do grocery shopping, dump out whatever juice is left/clean the bottles, and squeeze out a couple fresh bottles

e: I drink a *lot* of rum drinks so honestly the lime juice goes much faster than the lemon lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I’ve bought reamers, automatic and manual, hand lever squeezers, but this big ol honkin semi truck gets the absolute best tasting juice. I press one half, then stack the second half on top of the first flattened half and it gets absolutely fragrant oil qualities

It’s not the most efficient. There are plenty of unjuiced pips on the edges. But I don’t care, it tastes the best

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

AlexDeGruven posted:

Picked up some Hendricks Flora Adora this weekend and wow is that just simply lovely. I don't usually drink gin straight at all, but this is one that I could absolutely just sit and sip on.

Over ice and topped with Pellegrino and I don't know if I'll need to drink anything else this summer. As close to a perfect gin as I've ever experienced.

Saw that at Costco today, hesitated, and passed by.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Worthleast posted:

Saw that at Costco today, hesitated, and passed by.

If you like floral, like actually flowery I recommend it. But I mean like actually flowery, which can turn people off, too.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you like floral, like actually flowery I recommend it. But I mean like actually flowery, which can turn people off, too.

I love floral. Wish I hadn't passed this bottle by the other day. I hope my grocery store still has it when I'm back in the States in a month.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Qylvaran posted:

I love floral. Wish I hadn't passed this bottle by the other day. I hope my grocery store still has it when I'm back in the States in a month.

Wife says it's too much rose. I could see that for some people. I noticed that it changes as I drink it. Last night I made a double, but in a larger glass, so it was probably 1.5x the Pellegrino ratio. It was much more lilke regular Hendrix until I got to the bottom quarter of it. I really dig this stuff.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Improvised cocktail that's close to Boulevardier

Big pour rye (WT101)
Big pour Cocchi sweet vermouth
Half measure thyme infused gin
Half measure Campari
Dash of Pernod
Bit of ango, peychauds, jerry thomas just to round it

The thyme infused gin was something of a failed ingredient/project, the thyme was too strong for it to be a martini base. Works here. I'm trying to use up my Cocchi and it's growing on me.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
This thread has mentioned that Chartreuse has been hard to find, and that's been the case for me as well. Don't expect the shortage to get better anytime soon because a letter dated January 2023 says that the Carthusian monks who produce it decided to limit production for several reasons. Be jealous towards the French because the letter states that they are prioritizing the domestic market.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m good on green, is there a reason to get yellow

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Not really, IMO. They taste slightly different but I haven’t ever felt like anything the green does would be better with yellow.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've never found a use for Yellow that wasn't just as good when replaced by Strega.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

I've never found a use for Yellow that wasn't just as good when replaced by Strega.

The Stark Cocktail is great with Strega

0.5 oz lemon juice
0.5 oz honey syrup
0.75 oz yellow Chartreuse (or Strega)
1.5 oz bourbon
2 dashes Angostura

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Furiously filling the basement with a lifetime supply of green

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Anyone thinking of joining the order just for the booze

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I've been holding onto my half-full bottle for dear life since it sounds like there very well may not be more for a long, long time. I suppose this may be the moment where some other company needs to step in and try to duplicate the formula. I'm sure others have tried before, but maybe there's some newer tech that could help with it now? I feel like someone should at least be able to get close enough that it won't be too noticable in a Last Word.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm fortunate enough to live near the birthplace of the Last Word - hopefully the monks keep our stock flowing. I managed to find a bottle of Green and Yellow in Detroit for around ~$70 a couple months ago, and a friend recently picked one up in Gross Pointe for $100, which seems ridiculously overpriced. Pretty sure bottles are prioritized to shops that also have a license to serve alcohol.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 4, 2023

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Picked up an aged Old Tom gin for Martinez makin. It’s my first bottle of that style gin, any other good applications? I made a Future Days last night and loved it

1oz Old Tom Gin
1oz Amaro Abano
1oz Mezcal
2 dashes absinthe
2 dashes grapefruit bitters
Stir, up, grapefruit twist

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Corb3t posted:

I'm fortunate enough to live near the birthplace of the Last Word - hopefully the monks keep our stock flowing. I managed to find a bottle of Green and Yellow in Detroit for around ~$70 a couple months ago, and a friend recently picked one up in Gross Pointe for $100, which seems ridiculously overpriced. Pretty sure bottles are prioritized to shops that also have a license to serve alcohol.

This is wild. Lately I’ve been able to see the stuff several bottles deep, $60.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I checked a couple bottle shops in Chicago over the weekend and it was nowhere to be found there too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Time to set up a crowdsourced Chartreuse exchange website, who's with me

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You live on a coast? I don’t think the replenishments have made it to the Great Lakes yet. I’ve been casually checking every time I’m in a package store but haven’t seen any show back up yet.

I don’t think this is going to be that long of a drought though. They aren’t making any less than they did before, they just said they aren’t going to increase production any further no matter the demand. This caused people to buy up all that was on the shelf at the time but unless they started using way more of it in the meantime stores will replenish. I can’t imagine Pina Verdes and Chartreuse Swizzles being guzzled by the masses and everything else is using it as a modifier.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

For a Chartreuse substitute you can try genepy. It's not exactly the same but it's in the same ballpark.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Incidentally the Wikipedia page says

quote:

Meanwhile in a separate decision, the Carthusian monks decided in 2019 to limit Chartreuse production to 1.6 million bottles per year, citing the environmental impacts of production, and the monks' desire to focus on solitude and prayer.[10] The combination of fixed production and increased demand has resulted in shortages of Chartreuse across the world.[10]

Which is almost word-for-word what that 2023 screenshot says. So, nothing new I guess; it's just that "In 2020, the trend toward at-home cocktail making during the COVID-19 pandemic doubled worldwide demand for the liqueur.[10] Global sales of Chartreuse sales reached over US$30 million in 2022.[10]"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I don't know exactly how long it takes to produce Chartreuse from start to finish, but it makes sense that a decision in 2019 could only start having a noticeable impact now, even without COVID.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Plus I'm sure they know that cocktails go through trends like anything and eventually this Chartreuse demand is going to drop off again, so if they hugely increased production they'd be stuck with a bunch of excess inventory in five years or whatever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We eventually got yeast back in the baking aisle

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

You live on a coast? I don’t think the replenishments have made it to the Great Lakes yet. I’ve been casually checking every time I’m in a package store but haven’t seen any show back up yet.

New Orleans. So not a coast but a decent size port. And high booze demand.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Data Graham posted:

We eventually got yeast back in the baking aisle

So you're saying I should try to make a Chartreuse starter until then?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
A quick glance at the Ohio liquor control website and lots of places in SW Ohio are sold out but a handful have bottles in stock for (state mandated) $63. I never had it before but I guess I'll get one while the getting's good.

Also 32 oz bottles of Clamato were on sale for $.99 so I picked up a handful just in time for michelada season.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Had Roku gin for the first time ever, very yuzu forward

Pretty nice to make a gin and tonic that doesn’t need lime, it’s just Roku and tonic

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hmm how do I get gin out of my tv?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm looking to explore tequila more, I've started to like it quite a bit. I've been using Cimarron blanco as my main since it's solid and cheap. Picked up Flecha Azul reposado and I like it quite a bit too. Looking for recs for more stuff to try, bonus if it comes in small bottles so I can try more. I have seen crazy expensive anjeos and stuff but I'd like to stay $50ish at most.

If you're really bored this is the best selection I have access to within a reasonable drive: https://thepartysource.com/Spirits/Tequila?limit=100

I'm mainly looking for use in tequila-forward cocktails, though if it's also a decent sipper that's a bonus.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Fortaleza is fantastic, that'd be my first recommendation. La Gritona is a very lightly aged reposado that's fantastic in cocktails and comes in a cool bottle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Def heard Fortaleza is awesome but also that it's almost impossible to find. Nowhere around me sells it anyway.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yeah, I can only get it by spotting a drop on the IG page of my favorite bottle shop. Worth keeping an eye out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm looking to explore tequila more, I've started to like it quite a bit. I've been using Cimarron blanco as my main since it's solid and cheap. Picked up Flecha Azul reposado and I like it quite a bit too. Looking for recs for more stuff to try, bonus if it comes in small bottles so I can try more. I have seen crazy expensive anjeos and stuff but I'd like to stay $50ish at most.

If you're really bored this is the best selection I have access to within a reasonable drive: https://thepartysource.com/Spirits/Tequila?limit=100

I'm mainly looking for use in tequila-forward cocktails, though if it's also a decent sipper that's a bonus.

Calle 23 is great, the añejo in particular. Clase Azul is fantastic and overpriced. Corralejo, Tres Generationes, Cenote, and Cazadores are also good and reasonably priced.