Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Those look awesome!!! Is the Disc Kappa smaller than I think or is Mr. X huge? Looks like there's quite a size difference between them.

Edit: quoting for page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mister X is one of the tallest of the series

Also the head that comes with the new guy is because the new figure is kind of a space Shogun executioner it seems. In old Japan fresh heads were proof of death that was presented to lords and such

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Sweet. Bummed I didn't win Mr. X, but really looking forward to Space Shogun. The severed head is rad touch.

Here's a bunch of photos of the vast majority of my Japan haul. Starting with all the stuff I picked up at Wonderfest.

Max Toy assortment:

OneUp:

Clear grey vinyl frozen shin. Got frozen and awakened now, so I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for the "standard" version at some point too. Not pictured is a small animated Hedorah from the movie.

Sunguts and YMSF:

Added a few items to the gold glitter sub collection I've got going. That's a '62 Godzilla, and a right bastard to photograph. It's a clear / blue double pour with glitter. Not pictured is the Sunguts Megalodon.

Aimodo:

A pair of Bunny Hunters which I thought looked super rad as wrestlers, and a good ole fashioned UFO. When I get to the point I'm adding light to the display I want to get this one lit from the bottom with something getting beamed up and my Orbitdyne Janet hung from above as well. Get a little space corner going!

Kakkowarai Toys:

I'd eyeballed one of these for quite a while (no pun intended), but when I saw it in person at the show I pulled the trigger. The eyes is super gnarly; love the multiple iris'.

Science Patrol:

Got the Elden Ring Living Jar from Science Patrol. Mildly interesting tidbit, I asked for Alexander and the Science Patrol dude told me that it was technically not Alexander since he's a separate license with Fromsoft. So even though he's basically 100% identical to Alexander he's technically just a "Living Jar". Also, if I can call any part of the trip disappointing, I was bummed that this was all he was selling at the show. I as hoping he would have some of his original stuff for sale, but twas not to be. Nice guy though, and he recognized my Black Lantern hat that we both got a chuckle out of.

Spiral Toys:

So this is a legendary 2019 Godzilla by Spiral Toy. The guy who's heading up the sofubi division part of Spiral Toys was one of the guys who went on the trip. He was able to treat it as a partial business trip, and to the benefit of the group, each member of the group was gifted these paint masters for their upcoming release. They have 4 colorways that are set to release some time this next year, but this color is going to be event exclusive for them. It's sculpted by Yamada Masami, pulled by the Marmit factory, and the paint masters were done by by Kaz. So if you're into the hype aspect of vinyl toys this piece apparently has some cache. For me, I love things that are neon, GID, and monstrous, so this hit right in the middle of the awesomeness venn diagram. Super cool guy to hang with, and was a very kind gift.

The GID on it is also extremely bright. The middle picture is the "night sight" option on my phone, and the other is it just in the room with just a little bit of sunlight that peeks in through a basement window. The last one was taken at the end of the WF day with the lights off in the hotel room. I just draped the shirt over the chair (he gave us a GID shirt too!) and sat the godzilla right on top. Pretty rad photo.

Post Wonderfest all my pickups were at various shops around Tokyo (Mandarake, Jungle, Yellow Submarine, some random shops in Nakano Broadway).

Some Bandai minis and a US Toys Gayos:

Not pictured is a Bandai Jet Jaguar.

A Fireman finger puppet set:

Max Toy Ultramans:

These guys put me over the half way point of catching them all!

Goccodo Ohgama-no-umi:

As I discovered sofubi and thought about what I would make if I created something, this is basically what I had in my head. A sumo wrestler with the kesho-mawashi. I didn't have it in my head that he'd be a frog, but otherwise exactly this. When I first stumbled on it I was bummed because my super original and unique idea was stolen, STOLEN I SAY! ha, but really it figures someone had already thought of and executed it. Once I got over that disappointment, I've been eyballing one since. Pumped to add one to the collection, especially as they're not super easy to come by. The tadpole as a topknot is fun touch.

Galaxy People:

Can't get enough of these. I just everything this guy makes. I was super excited to add Crocky (middle guy) and Zorg (left guy) to the collection as they were the only two head variants I was missing from the collection (a new resin head was released as part of a clutter gallery show while I was in Japan, lololol).

Also, just got a box in the mail containing the below items.

The Hedorah is technically part of the Japan haul given it was the first thing I bought with my Japan budget, but I got it on YJA instead of in the country, heh. And still digging the Ultraman variants.

I was trying to quickly photograph these while wrangling a 3.5 year old (I don't recommend it), so I missed a few things. I'll get pics of those at some point. I also picked up a handful of things I've given away as gifts (Some Bandai Shin Godzillas and a couple of small sized CCP Godzillas).

If you ever want to go to Japan and buy rad toys I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 30, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gat drat nice haul!!!!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks! Got lots of stuff I wanted, missed out on some others (M1 Bikes!), and scored some cool impulse stuff. As cool as the toys are, the people were awesome, and Japan was super rad.

Late notice, but if anyone sees this soon, Galaxy People / Rampage Toys are having a collab sale on the Rampage store: https://rampagetoysandart.bigcartel.com/

Lots of fun minis, and the Unicorn Bots are a sight (and expensive!).

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Sunguts and YMSF:
l

Aimodo:

A pair of Bunny Hunters which I thought looked super rad as wrestlers, and a good ole fashioned UFO. When I get to the point I'm adding light to the display I want to get this one lit from the bottom with something getting beamed up and my Orbitdyne Janet hung from above as well. Get a little space corner going!

:aaaaa: That is an incredible haul!

Is that one of those Biollante "rubber ducks"?

And eyyyyy I finally have an Aimodo UFO pal! (Did you also spend an inordinate amount of time seeing what figures fit under it to look like they were being abducted?)

Ouch&Oops branched out and recently had a lotto for their new piece, Oh! Miickey Got Hurt. This goofy li'l fella is on his way to me soon. (I have the weirdest luck with lottos...)

In other news, Funko recently laid off a lot of Mondo staff, so it seems like some of their products might be in jeopardy. The article I saw was mostly doomsaying about the future of their poster output, but who knows if this shakeup would put the kibosh on any future Godzilla offerings.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

LadyPictureShow posted:

In other news, Funko recently laid off a lot of Mondo staff, so it seems like some of their products might be in jeopardy. The article I saw was mostly doomsaying about the future of their poster output, but who knows if this shakeup would put the kibosh on any future Godzilla offerings.

I wonder if this is related to that 30 millon dollar write off of Pops Funko did earlier this year. They'd probably be looking for ways to make that loss up, but I am not an expert on business.

And yes great haul! I've been chilling for a bit but that Ryudora Daioh coming out in the default green color is so, so tempting.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

:aaaaa: That is an incredible haul!

Is that one of those Biollante "rubber ducks"?

And eyyyyy I finally have an Aimodo UFO pal! (Did you also spend an inordinate amount of time seeing what figures fit under it to look like they were being abducted?)

Ouch&Oops branched out and recently had a lotto for their new piece, Oh! Miickey Got Hurt. This goofy li'l fella is on his way to me soon. (I have the weirdest luck with lottos...)

I hadn't thought of Biollante as a rubber duck, but yeah it's sort of in that same format. It's got a completely flat bottom / base. I definitely spent a ton of time seeing what would fit in the UFO beam. Haven't decided what I want to live there for the long haul (not that it can't be changed).

Oooh that Mickey is awesome, didn't know he had a new character coming. Congrats on the score!!!

The Mondo news sucked hard, but was predictable. It happened faster than I thought it was going to though. Hopefully those dudes start up another company and just keep doing cool stuff. They've definitely got the know how, just need the capital I suppose. I saw someone with "sources" say that the Toy Division wasn't going to be touched, but you know how internet rumors go...

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Forgive the double post, but Mondo (Funko) just posted this, lolololol. Rings hollow when Mondo's leadership was just laid off.

https://twitter.com/MondoNews/status/1641503227597266944

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Triple post, c-c-c-c-c-ombo!

Couple of lotteries if folks are interested.

Marusan / Tokyo Toy Bastard is doing a King Godras lottery: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqcqgiIoDt5/

I really like the colors they've chosen, and King Godras is awesome in person. It was one of the toys I sort of liked online, but seeing one in person it really jumped out as cool (as lots of toys tend to do, ha).

Senjin Shonen also has a lottery up for their King Oni wrestler in a Devil Manish homage colorway: https://www.instagram.com/p/CqcCAeHL3Ip/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Gold dust Alien Xam up at Max Toy: https://www.maxtoyco.com/Store/Alien-Xam-2.0-Gold-Dust-version-Unpainted-Komoda-sculpt/2349

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Gorgeous additions, SWORD!

Glad you got the new Mr. X and Saucer Kappa, Gatos!

Did anyone get the Elgab Shogun? I missed it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Failson posted:

Gorgeous additions, SWORD!

Glad you got the new Mr. X and Saucer Kappa, Gatos!

Did anyone get the Elgab Shogun? I missed it.

I got it- It's not going to be around until late Summer it seems. This is one where he's not doing the painting, but using the factory again like he did with the big dinos.

I'm trying to get a lot of my financial stuff together this year so I'm still getting some sofubi but slowing down from what I had been doing (just glomming on to anything that caught my eye). I probably will be selling some off as well just to make room- I've got more sofubi in storage containers than on display and I realize there are lots that I like but am not married to.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks, Failson!

I'm definitely hitting the curation stage too. Going to try to keep up with Max Toy Ultramans, but outside of that, Elegab lotteries, and one specific thing I'm looking for Ill have to be good for now.

I didn't owe the Government taxes this year though so that was rad!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Had this posted here before, and not sure what I hosed up, but Imgur is doing a thing: https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/14415587638029-Imgur-Terms-of-Service-Update-April-19-2023-

I primarily use Imgur to upload images (I do have a free acct...), but going to save down my pictures just in case. YMMV!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Apparently OneUp is moving locations and has some Max Toy stuff going up for sale: http://oneup-blog.jugem.jp/?eid=6573

Ultraman variants :party: ...three of them :negative: Also, two building sets. The clear confetti ones are fun, and a sweet looking Baltan that if I'm not mistaken is in a color scheme similar to old Bullmark ones.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

If anyone is so inclined, there is a large black Grape Brain Onigiri on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/325631334092

Expensive, but I don't think it's wildly over what it was retailed for...?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I just went through this entire thread and now I’m thinking… :homebrew:

I have a collection of GID action figures but seeing all these GID sofubi is getting me real itchy…

I don’t think this quite counts but I do have a vinyl Lucha Masters La Sombra! Maybe it’s more of a sofauxbi.

He also has an insane glow. He’s one of the brightest in my collection and stays glowing for hours

Bonus pic of him and his buddy stay Puft

Anyways, I’m now considering getting a few sofubi, though I’m gonna do my damnedest to stick to GID-only. Otherwise, I will go crazy throwing money at this things!

I’m based in Winnipeg so I was wondering if anybody may know of some Canadian makers/vendors/resellers. May be a long shot but figured it’s worth asking.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

***Jack Nicholson nodding yes gif here***

I love your dedication to GID stuff! That's an awesome display.

I don't know of any storefront or maker that's Canadian off hand, but the majority of what I've got comes from overseas / directly from the makers themselves. Personally, I've found the best way to find something is look for it on Buyee or Zenmarket (both are proxy buyers), and then ship it to yourself from there. That's if you're not getting it from the maker directly.

Instagram is probably the best place to see what's out there in general. Either just search hashtags or start following makers as you run across them.

A thread full of GID: http://skullbrain.org/bb/index.php?threads/show-your-glow-collection-for-vga.18469/

Have fun and post up pics of rad stuff!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Welcome Der-Wreck! And it's always nice to meet someone else that loves GITD!

I'm guessing no one will complain if other independent toys get posted here? I'd like to suggest anything from the Onell Design and Glyos factories. The glow they put out is some of the strongest I've encountered, and their red glow 'Solaris' figures are something to behold, but pretty rare now.

On the Sofubi side, Elegab, Real x Head, and Max Toy all make incredible glow. The brightest thing in my collection is a GIT Giant Eyezon.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

***Jack Nicholson nodding yes gif here***

I love your dedication to GID stuff! That's an awesome display.

I don't know of any storefront or maker that's Canadian off hand, but the majority of what I've got comes from overseas / directly from the makers themselves. Personally, I've found the best way to find something is look for it on Buyee or Zenmarket (both are proxy buyers), and then ship it to yourself from there. That's if you're not getting it from the maker directly.

Instagram is probably the best place to see what's out there in general. Either just search hashtags or start following makers as you run across them.

A thread full of GID: http://skullbrain.org/bb/index.php?threads/show-your-glow-collection-for-vga.18469/

Have fun and post up pics of rad stuff!

That thread is glowing glory. I can't find the picture, and I think he sold his collection, but Sanjeev (Brown Noize), posted a shot with his entire wall lit up with glow, it was incredible.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Ugggggh I have my … eye on one of Max Toy’s GID Eyezons but the fig ($100 USD) + shipping ($70 USD) comes out to $230 CAD :negative:

Not that I’m not willing to spend the money :homebrew: but it seems the theme of the thread is life happening and getting in the way of buying sofubi :( I just had a minor financial setback so I’m going to have to wait another month or two before I can snag the Eyezon. I just gotta hope that the one I want is still available :pray:

On the other hand, I get the feeling is you can’t worry about the one that gets away. You just enjoy the sofubi you get! Almost go with the flow of whether you win a lottery or not instead of getting FOMO on every pre-order that goes up.

I’m excited! Thanks for the warm welcome and help. Looks like I’ll have to re-open an insta so I can track some sofubi makers.

Oh and I managed to find a sofubi vendor/maker here in Winnipeg!! They have a small shop so chatting with them about maybe getting something soon :wiggle: :getin:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Der-Wreck posted:

On the other hand, I get the feeling is you can’t worry about the one that gets away. You just enjoy the sofubi you get! Almost go with the flow of whether you win a lottery or not instead of getting FOMO on every pre-order that goes up.

Good attitude, since I foolishly tried to keep up with everything news wise out of fomo and still lost out on preorders or wasn't fast enough on checkout. All I managed to do was get myself frustrated as a result of being unable to get what I wanted. So I took a break from it to reassess my collection and, well, am also trying to roll with the punches and opportunities available.

My break has also lead to a dumb thought: is comissioning custom paint jobs of other's sculpts a thing or is it a no no?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Good attitude, since I foolishly tried to keep up with everything news wise out of fomo and still lost out on preorders or wasn't fast enough on checkout. All I managed to do was get myself frustrated as a result of being unable to get what I wanted. So I took a break from it to reassess my collection and, well, am also trying to roll with the punches and opportunities available.

My break has also lead to a dumb thought: is comissioning custom paint jobs of other's sculpts a thing or is it a no no?

Yeah, exactly! That and I saw some of the posts about entering lotteries with no expectations… then winning a bunch at once. Oof that’s pricey!!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

What’s worse in a way is when you have access to a proxy buyer and then something comes up for a future release … (I’m trying to take a break from buying but Medicom is releasing a new Retro style Shin Kamen Rider and a classic Man Spider 😅)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Just gotta go with the flow! Just enjoy what you can get, when you can get it, and when it's affordable for you.

Like, chasing wonderfest stuff is pretty much impossible for me. Just have to not worry about it.

Of course it's taken me 40 years to get into a healthy spot with collecting, so, give it some time!

Even if I'm not buying, there's always something new to discover:

https://twitter.com/hiramoto_kaiju/status/1651689366287441921

https://twitter.com/hiramoto_kaiju/status/1651686134823665664

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

I got my first SOFUBI!!

Their name is BORUGOGON

Super cool!! I love them. Borugogon is SUPER BRIGHT pink but I need some better lighting to really catch how bright this lil kaiju is.

I found a local soft vinyl creator/vendor here in Winnipeg, Grumble Toys, and was able to get a deal on this fig. I also got to that with the fella from Grumble Toys and got to nerd out a bit over sofubi. He’s got some GID stuff he’s working on so I’ll be picking some of those up soon. :hmmyes:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Ha, awesome! The first pic sort of reminds me of Gossamer. Is that a flower on his head?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Ha, awesome! The first pic sort of reminds me of Gossamer. Is that a flower on his head?

Yes it is!

I also got a nice pic in the morning light today

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Sweet, fun stuff for sure!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Der-Wreck posted:

I got my first SOFUBI!!

Their name is BORUGOGON

Super cool!! I love them. Borugogon is SUPER BRIGHT pink but I need some better lighting to really catch how bright this lil kaiju is.

I found a local soft vinyl creator/vendor here in Winnipeg, Grumble Toys, and was able to get a deal on this fig. I also got to that with the fella from Grumble Toys and got to nerd out a bit over sofubi. He’s got some GID stuff he’s working on so I’ll be picking some of those up soon. :hmmyes:

It's horrible! I love it! It's a shame day-glow pink never photographs well. And I didn't know that Grumble Toys was based in Winnipeg! I've only got a few small pieces from him but it's awesome that you've made a connection!

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It's horrible! I love it! It's a shame day-glow pink never photographs well. And I didn't know that Grumble Toys was based in Winnipeg! I've only got a few small pieces from him but it's awesome that you've made a connection!

Ugh I KNOW like this lil guy is beautiful in real life but pics just don’t look right.

Yeah, it’s great to find someone local. It’s gonna be a lot more affordable :heysexy:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Der-Wreck posted:

It’s gonna be a lot more affordable :heysexy:

Give it time. :getin:

This popped up today: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cr0iWybLOo7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link and wowohwow.

My deep dive into Tokusatsu over the past 18 months or so has brought me to some interesting conclusions. On is I actually like Gamera better than Godzilla as a whole, which surprised me. Had my eyes peeled for some rad Gamera sofubi, and didn't know I wanted a mecha Gamera until now.

quote:

Failson
Did you ever track down a Galaxy People cephalopod ship?

Edit: also for Megaman fans: https://www.instagram.com/p/CrxGchUrNKQ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 4, 2023

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

AHHHHH I know :negative: I already want a shin eyezon form Max Toy Co. real bad… and that’s gonna be real expensive.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The cost definetly makes me indecisive now, I'm constantly questioning how much do I really want certain figures. Because the latest is a cool looking Cometdebris Kid x/ Kid Ace robot that popped up in discord. Probably sold by now though. I like it much better than the Chompton Vegan robot, but only when it's painted. There's a lot of unpainted Kid Ace sofubis around for whatever reason and it kinda looks formless with out the eyes filled in.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I also didn't know Grumble was in Canada, that's wonderful! That BORUGOGON is great.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Did you ever track down a Galaxy People cephalopod ship?

SEFLAPod! https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg5jDGvJLwq/

Have not bought one yet, but like everyone, money is tight.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Whoa it’s crazy to see that a few of you know Grumble! That’s too wild.

I was wondering if the folks in this thread would be willing to post their favorite sofubi they have in their collection? I’d love to see what some of you consider your absolute top-notch items.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Failson posted:

I also didn't know Grumble was in Canada, that's wonderful! That BORUGOGON is great.

SEFLAPod! https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg5jDGvJLwq/

Have not bought one yet, but like everyone, money is tight.

Word. I was poking around the interwebs, and found one for sale. Let me know if you need a lead on one!

Edit: Also got a rad package in the mail! Need to get pictures, but the whole family has been sick all weekend, so I've been lazy...

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/elegab_jp/status/1655688479848669186?s=46&t=Mu6ngisnZlTkezPxh7sqCQ

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Wowzers! When he was showing the rough sculpt, I was super curious where he was going with the back protrusions. Fingers weren't anywhere near my bingo card! Looks awesome though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I hadn't thought of Biollante as a rubber duck, but yeah it's sort of in that same format. It's got a completely flat bottom / base.

I'm not sure if they actually work like rubber ducks, but TBase was selling them under the name of "Godzilla/Biollante, in the bath".

Miickey (yes, with a double i) arrived yesterday! I don't know if he was supposed to be packaged like this with the bong placement, but I got a good laugh.

He's 8", about twice the size of the Peter, and yeah, he's a flasher.

He also kinda reminds me of someone...

Miickey's a bit more 'hideous' than the type of sofubi I usually get, but he's fun.

In other news, a new abduction animal dropped, so there's Ab-Pyon!