Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

For proponents of the death penalty who are unshakeable, just point out that we have made incarceration worse than death anyway. A happy compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’ve sort of given up on trying to convince people that the death penalty is bad, most of them believe in it as a moral right and work their way backwards from that even though there’s not a single shred of evidence that the death penalty is beneficial and there’s books full of evidence that it’s expensive and doesn’t decrease crime and is discriminatory in action and often gets it wrong and and and and

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

It does sound like "vote!" is a sound strategy though, possibly even "vote blue no matter who"

We did! You want me to vote now? For what?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

I’ve sort of given up on trying to convince people that the death penalty is bad, most of them believe in it as a moral right and work their way backwards from that even though there’s not a single shred of evidence that the death penalty is beneficial and there’s books full of evidence that it’s expensive and doesn’t decrease crime and is discriminatory in action and often gets it wrong and and and and

God smites people left and right in the Bible. Just ignore that thou shall not kill part.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's always fun to point out the parts of the Bible where abortion is mentioned. Think your wife was unfaithful? Make her drink this and if she was she'll go barren (and lose any pregnancy she has). Caused a pregnant woman to miscarry? Pay a fine.

People who base their lives around mythology are insane and the level of religious extremism infesting the US's judicial system is dire.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

VitalSigns posted:

We did! You want me to vote now? For what?

Apparently so the Dems don't lose a state SC and get gerrymandered out of existence

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

New documents show how Sandra Day O’Connor helped George W. Bush win the 2000 election

quote:

“Going home after a long day,” Scalia wrote to fellow justices when it was all over on December 12, “I cannot help but observe that those of my colleagues who were protesting so vigorously that the Court’s judgment today will do it irreparable harm have spared no pains – in a veritable blizzard of separate dissents – to assist that result. Even to the point of footnote 4 in Ruth’s offering (I call it the Al Sharpton footnote), alleging on the basis of press reports ‘obstacles to voting disproportionately encountered by black voters.’”

Well-known for his take-no-prisoners dissenting views, Scalia added, “I am the last person to complain that dissents should not be thorough and hard-hitting (though it would be nice to have them somewhat consolidated). But before vigorously dissenting (or, come to think of it, at any other time) I have never urged the majority of my colleagues to alter their honest view of the case because of the potential ‘damage to the Court.’ I just thought I would observe the incongruity. Good night.” He signed it, “Sincerely, Nino.”

In their opinions, liberal dissenters had emphasized the cost to the court as an institution and, in Breyer’s words, “damage” to the country.

Similarly, Kennedy wrote to colleagues that same day, “I do not usually respond to dissenting opinions, and will not do so for the per curiam in this case. I take the occasion in this memo, however, to say that the tone of the dissents is disturbing both on an institutional and personal level. I have agonized over this and made my best judgment. Some of the dissenters in fact agree on the equal protection point, but take great pains to conceal that agreement. The dissents, permit me to say, in effect try to coerce the majority by trashing the Court themselves, thereby making their dire, and I think unjustified, predictions a self-fulfilling prophecy.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/02/politics/bush-gore-oconnor-supreme-court-2000/index.html

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The fact that multiple GOP operatives involved in Bush v. Gore now sit on the SCOTUS is reason enough that the court should be ignored in its entirety, to say nothing of the ruling itself and the conservative majority's judicial coup on behalf of their party.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

The fact that multiple GOP operatives involved in Bush v. Gore now sit on the SCOTUS is reason enough that the court should be ignored in its entirety, to say nothing of the ruling itself and the conservative majority's judicial coup on behalf of their party.

The only power the Supreme Court, really any court, has is the power given to it by the executive branch. Even Abraham Lincoln knew this and acted accordingly.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The only power the Supreme Court, really any court, has is the power given to it by the executive branch. Even Abraham Lincoln knew this and acted accordingly.

Yeah and if the fringe on the flag is wrong it's not an admiralty court and you don't have to listen to them at all!!!

Do you intend this to be an explicit appeal to fascism? or did it sound like something else in your head when you wrote it?

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Ah, President Lincoln. The guy who suspended a whole raft of civil rights because war was declared. Let's emulate him.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Abraham Lincoln is a fascist now

Can't get enough of these takes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Actually I guess that's not too far off from what contemporary Democrats said about him too, except that they didn't have the word fascist yet so they used the 19th century equivalents: tyrant, czar, etc

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'll settle with 'guy who suspended habeus corpus in Maryland and let his generals toss people into jail for being an annoyance and protesting the war'. That's when Lincoln told the Supreme Court he didn't care what they said, he was gonna go with his gut. You can call it whatever.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/JustinElliott/status/1654063623147225089?t=L5-yTOLz0eESjmDBKf6rZg&s=19

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I am loving the drip drip drip of news of SCOTUS corruption. Keeps it in the collective conscious and exposes bullshit excuses with successive reveals.

Do you think there’s a central source that’s leaking things purposefully and slowly?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Big deal.

Thomas's kid isn't part of the government.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
We can use the heat generated from Thurgood Marshall's spinning corpse to power the eastern seaboard for years to come.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

killer_robot posted:

I'll settle with 'guy who suspended habeus corpus in Maryland and let his generals toss people into jail for being an annoyance and protesting the war'. That's when Lincoln told the Supreme Court he didn't care what they said, he was gonna go with his gut. You can call it whatever.

They weren't protesting the war, they were conspiring to disrupt troop movements to reinforce DC. By blowing up a railway bridge. Then, when they got arrested, they filed a writ of habeas corpus in a circuit headed by the guy who wrote the Dred Scott ruling. Who was also the chief justice so there was no meaningful way to appeal it.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 4, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It rules his wife gets six figure do-nothing jobs and they still don't pay for anything big or small.

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1654129967226290179?s=20

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
If there was a corruption statue put on the books that roped every justice on the SCOTUS, you could defacto roll full judiciary reform.

Just saying. Would be a fun way to get there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BlueBlazer posted:

If there was a corruption statue put on the books that roped every justice on the SCOTUS, you could defacto roll full judiciary reform.

Just saying. Would be a fun way to get there.

The SCOTUS would strike it down (or attempt to) in a heartbeat given their unified stance of "we don't need oversight" lately. While they have no means to actually enforce such a ruling and issuing one would, ideally, cause the DoJ do go over every single aspect of their lives with a fine toothed comb, they'd still do it regardless of the fallout it'd cause.

Maybe jailing them and tossing them in genpop in a for-profit privately run prison for a few years would cause them to reconsider some of their more idiotic stances on the criminal justice system as well.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 4, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kicking Thomas out is a crapshoot because unless Feinstein's age hits an overflow bug and she loops back around to young, Dems can't confirm a replacement until at least 2025 if they even win the elections.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Kicking Thomas out is a crapshoot because unless Feinstein's age hits an overflow bug and she loops back around to young, Dems can't confirm a replacement until at least 2025 if they even win the elections.

For a SCOTUS confirmation, they'd Weekend at Bernie's her (or :commissar: her) in a second.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They weren't protesting the war, they were conspiring to disrupt troop movements to reinforce DC. By blowing up a railway bridge. Then, when they got arrested, they filed a writ of habeas corpus in a circuit headed by the guy who wrote the Dred Scott ruling. Who was also the chief justice so there was no meaningful way to appeal it.

So does that mean there's... precedent for this situation?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kalman posted:

For a SCOTUS confirmation, they'd Weekend at Bernie's her (or :commissar: her) in a second.

Even if she died it wouldn't help because Republicans have already vowed to filibuster any replacement on the judiciary committee, and while Democrats could nuke the filibuster for committee assignments or move nominations forward with a discharge petition they haven't so far because :decorum: (even though filibustering committee assignments is a naked partisan power grab which isn't decorous at all, but they go low we go high I guess)

They might be able to Weekend at Bernie's her although they'd have to do it for multiple days: committee vote, and the floor vote

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

AvesPKS posted:

So does that mean there's... precedent for this situation?

Considering the situation there was "we are actively waging a civil war" and "that writ of habeus corpus was issued by a judge in rebel territory", and the Constitution explicitly says "unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it" but Taney apparently missed that bit, and this was back in the days when Congress didn't convene for months at a time and after reconvening after that ruling Congress indemnified Lincoln and his administration for suspending habeus corpus while they were out of session, and Congress eventually explicitly gave him the power to temporarily suspend it during the war, I don't think the two are actually very comparable

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 4, 2023

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Even if she died it wouldn't help because Republicans have already vowed to filibuster any replacement on the judiciary committee, and while Democrats could nuke the filibuster for committee assignments or move nominations forward with a discharge petition they haven't so far because :decorum: (even though filibustering committee assignments is a naked partisan power grab which isn't decorous at all, but they go low we go high I guess)

They might be able to Weekend at Bernie's her although they'd have to do it for multiple days: committee vote, and the floor vote

They'd only have to WAB her for the committee vote, the floor vote they'd likely (loving Sinema, making me add that word) be able to get a 50-49 win even without her.

In terms of Senate procedure, I think the Dems can't nuke the filibuster for committee assignments given the current posture; they'd have to nuke the filibuster for removals from committees instead. (They're distinct things, parliamentarily speaking.) I think that'd probably be a bad thing, given recent expulsions in other arenas by Rs? That said, if Feinstein died, and Rs actually did block a permanent assignment for her replacement (note that they have NOT said they would do that, the vows are all about blocking Feinstein's removal and temporary replacement), I'm reasonably confident that Dems would nuke the filibuster for that.

(Also, discharge petitions in the Senate are filibusterable, so that wouldn't actually move anything forward; they could just .)

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
So...this is good?

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1654233950431113216?t=N_7YwjHQlcVY0OP4fUDugA&s=19

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao come on

quote:

In January 2012, Leo instructed the GOP pollster Kellyanne Conway to bill a nonprofit group called the Judicial Education Project and use that money to pay Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, the documents show. The same year, the Judicial Education Project filed a brief to the Supreme Court in a landmark voting rights case.

Leo, an adviser to the Judicial Education Project and a key figure in a network of nonprofits that has worked to support the nominations of conservative judges, told Conway that he wanted her to “give” Ginni Thomas “another $25K,” the documents show. He emphasized that the paperwork should have “No mention of Ginni, of course.”

https://t.co/ZyAU68oKGc

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 5, 2023

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Leo never said it was for a bribe so it's legal.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Good: it might kill a case that I was scared of.

Bad: North Carolina is hosed anyway because they voted for the wrong judges.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1654265190052159489

quote:

Conservative judicial activist Leonard Leo arranged for the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas to be paid tens of thousands of dollars for consulting work just over a decade ago, specifying that her name be left off billing paperwork, according to documents reviewed by The Washington Post.

In January 2012, Leo instructed the GOP pollster Kellyanne Conway to bill a nonprofit group he advises and use that money to pay Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, the documents show. The same year, the nonprofit, the Judicial Education Project, filed a brief to the Supreme Court in a landmark voting rights case.

Leo, a key figure in a network of nonprofits that has worked to support the nominations of conservative judges, told Conway that he wanted her to “give” Ginni Thomas “another $25K,” the documents show. He emphasized that the paperwork should have “No mention of Ginni, of course.”

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Now this, this I'm really curious about the sourcing on. The original line of scandal from Thomas wasn't a timed leak because it emerged from the new disclosure rules, but what's come subsequently appears likely to be so.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I assume all of the major news orgs started digging into the SCOTUS justices' finances more after ProPublica started to post their big findings. There's clearly a lot there but nobody's really been looking.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Countdown until a conservative justice writes an editorial about how all this coverage is causing people to lose faith in the court

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Grip it and rip it posted:

Countdown until a conservative justice writes an editorial about how all this coverage is causing people to lose faith in the court

Alito has you covered, baw.

https://jezebel.com/sam-alito-says-criticism-of-supreme-court-is-unfair-pr-1850388904

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Leonardo Leonardo??

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dameius posted:

Leo never said it was for a bribe so it's legal.

And anyway, Virginia Thomas is not in the government

Can't be a bribe if the person collecting it isn't in the government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

mobby_6kl posted:

Leonardo Leonardo??

Deep cut but :hfive: