Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

webmeister posted:

Railway Empire 2 is coming out later this month

Hell yeah, this is the one I'm really looking forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Phoix posted:

I'm a fan of the caves that just have Cave written all over the place

what the...

hatty posted:

Maybe they're speaking in latin and are saying be careful

hahaha

ZeeBoi posted:

Setting the Input Response Preset to “Low” and the Controller Sensitivity to 3-3.5 seemed to help a little (for me).

KK, will try that.

I am playing it, kinda like visiting greek ruins and thinking about 3000 years of decadence.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

webmeister posted:

Railway Empire 2 is coming out later this month

getting my lil conductor hat and overalls ready

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tei posted:

what the...

hahaha

KK, will try that.

I am playing it, kinda like visiting greek ruins and thinking about 3000 years of decadence.

wb King 🫡

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I played Dreadfail for like an hour and I found it relatively inoffensive. It's not a very good game, but it wasn't terrible to play, at least on PC. The most striking thing about it is how empty the world feels. Usually in an Arkane title all the interactible environmental elements are so tightly packed together that they're easy to miss. But in the opening missions of this game I ran for a couple minutes to my objective, killed like 3 guys, and then moved onto the next, with the only thing you can really do being blowing up cars or looting backpacks for 50 gold. It cannot be overstated how braindead the enemy AI is. The vampires get stuck on the level geometry and seem to totally whiff with their big sweeping melee attack more often than not. You can blast away two cultists with a shotgun to the face and the other dude behind the truck will become mildly suspicious. This feels like an indie project, not some marquee AAA release.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I played Redfall for about 3 missions and now I've uninstalled and am reinstalling Prey.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

1glitch0 posted:

It might just be coincidence, but I've done 3 nests and each one increased the amount of vampires in it. I was disapointed the nests are basically the same, tho.

Also good loving luck with the "grab loot" after destroying the heart portion. I sprinted to the exit and only made it out once. There's no way you could stop even for a few seconds to search for loot.

I like the game more than most and am about to get to the 2nd map, I think, but every system in the game from the nests to the side missions all seem like framework testing for actual content that was never made. One side quest per safe house? Why even bother.

I came across one rando side quest because I saw a "!" on the map. Only one, and I'm about halfway through the game. Why just one random side quest?

This game absolutely was supposed to be something else.

Granted I've only played one nest so if that was the tutorial one then that is pretty bad but still makes sense. I didn't have an issue looting then finding the exit either but again, first one. Hopefully it scales up dramatically because I randomly found an assault rifle that two shots all human enemies and a strong stake thrower so I'm just mowing through the levels. The only enemies that give me pause are the pain in the rear end floating shield vampires.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Toaster Beef posted:

Everything feels so wide and spread out, when "small coastal town in Massachusetts" screams for anything but that. Compare how wide-open the streets and spaces are in Redfall to what Provincetown looks like:

I'm not saying it fixes everything, but it makes for a much less empty experience.

Yeah, deciding that every street in a sleepy New England town needed to be the width of a six lane highway really is a baffling decision. So much space but for what?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It warms my heart to know that most people can still smell a poo poo game from a mile away. I remember seein the early trailers for Redfail and deciding there and then that it was gonna be poo poo

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It warms my heart to know that most people can still smell a poo poo game from a mile away. I remember seein the early trailers for Redfail and deciding there and then that it was gonna be poo poo

Was a very easy call. It's why I'm suspicious of all these ~content creators~ spinning some weird narrative about Redfall being some hotly anticipated tentpole game. Seems like they just need something to talk about until Zelda releases.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I saw some speculation that Microsoft/Bethesda knew what they had and made the conscious choice to drop this thing when they did — between Star Wars and Zelda — so it'd just kinda die hard and get it over with. Would mesh well with their "aight well gently caress that check out our showcase next month!" messaging.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

PerilPastry posted:

Yeah, deciding that every street in a sleepy New England town needed to be the width of a six lane highway really is a baffling decision. So much space but for what?

Truly a giveaway that Arkane Austin doesn’t know the northeast.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

TheScott2K posted:

Was a very easy call. It's why I'm suspicious of all these ~content creators~ spinning some weird narrative about Redfall being some hotly anticipated tentpole game. Seems like they just need something to talk about until Zelda releases.

There's Redfall advertising plastered all over public transport and billboards in Australia and everywhere online. I'm sure most people in the know looked at it and went "this doesn't look good", but it's definitely being treated like a tentpole game ad wise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is my fault. I wished Arkane would make a vampire game while holding the Monkey's Paw

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
the more I hear about Redfall, the more it seems like Microsoft should have just stepped in and cancelled it. increasingly seems like it was badly misconceived on a fundamental design level and that throwing more money and development time at it wouldn't have turned it around, and cancelling it would arguably have been less of an embarrassment to the Xbox Game Studios brand than releasing it in this state, especially as this is the first AAA Xbox console exclusive in nearly a year and a half.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

the more I hear about Redfall, the more it seems like Microsoft should have just stepped in and cancelled it. increasingly seems like it was badly misconceived on a fundamental design level and that throwing more money and development time at it wouldn't have turned it around, and cancelling it would arguably have been less of an embarrassment to the Xbox Game Studios brand than releasing it in this state, especially as this is the first AAA Xbox console exclusive in nearly a year and a half.

I think what you've just highlighted is one major downside of Gamepass becoming the central feature to Microsoft's identity. There's less of an incentive to cancel projects that aren't going anywhere now because hey, whatever, just slap it on Gamepass so that we can have something to release in Q2 and people will just move onto the next disposable thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i don't anyone will remember or care by next month, especially since the new boring star wars game came out in even worse state and is taking lots of the gamer youtube freak flack

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Barry Convex posted:

lmfao

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

exquisite tea posted:

I think what you've just highlighted is one major downside of Gamepass becoming the central feature to Microsoft's identity. There's less of an incentive to cancel projects that aren't going anywhere now because hey, whatever, just slap it on Gamepass so that we can have something to release in Q2 and people will just move onto the next disposable thing.

You're not wrong, the only reason I'm being moderately favorable to Redfall right now is because I didn't pay $70 USD to play it. I don't know what kind of income that devs get from gamepass but it's probably not insubstantial.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
redfall's just a corporate mandated game meant to chase the looter shooter trend that microsoft COULD'VE cancelled but didn't because they need poo poo to pad out gamepass's library

whatever who cares starfield is microsoft's big game this year that'll sell a billion copies

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

exquisite tea posted:

Fundamentally I think this is why a sub is a bad idea. Netflix are currently pumping out heaps of reality shows, just like free to air did when looking for cheap content. You can't really apply this logic to games though, especially when people expect AAA games out of Xbox.

I really like being able to sub to game pass for the big catalogue of games I haven't played previously, but trying to fill a videogame subscription service with new, quality content at a sufficient clip to retain subscribers just comes off as insane to me.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
There were some neat looking games Microsoft showed last summer that were third party "double A" games, I wonder where they went. I can't remember their names.

I'm specifically thinking of the sandy vibes soulslike from the makers of The Surge, and a third person action / stealth game where you maybe played either as a robot or against robots.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

exquisite tea posted:

BoosterDuck posted:

redfall's just a corporate mandated game meant to chase the looter shooter trend that microsoft COULD'VE cancelled but didn't because they need poo poo to pad out gamepass's library

whatever who cares starfield is microsoft's big game this year that'll sell a billion copies

There's a lot of truth to that, I'm sure, but it's still pretty drat embarrassing given how much Microsoft has spent on marketing it and featuring it prominently in multiple showcases

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

JBP posted:

Fundamentally I think this is why a sub is a bad idea. Netflix are currently pumping out heaps of reality shows, just like free to air did when looking for cheap content. You can't really apply this logic to games though, especially when people expect AAA games out of Xbox.

I really like being able to sub to game pass for the big catalogue of games I haven't played previously, but trying to fill a videogame subscription service with new, quality content at a sufficient clip to retain subscribers just comes off as insane to me.

I think M$ at least understands this on a fundamental level and figured that buying every publisher under the sun would eventually fill out their release schedule through accretion, although now it looks like that might not happen.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
where's Doom 2016 3

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
god willing, id are making a Quake game like they clearly wanted to with Eternal

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I’m mad at Housemarque because now the sequel cannot be called Doom Returnal.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

TheScott2K posted:

where's Doom 2016 3

it's called quake 2025

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Barry Convex posted:

From what I read Microsoft are largely being hands off with Zenimax/Bethesda Softworks, and basically leave it to continue as a quasi-separate entity.

So although Microsoft/Xbox Game Studios are getting blamed for Redfall they don't really have anything to do with it other than they own the parent company.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

JBP posted:

There's Redfall advertising plastered all over public transport and billboards in Australia and everywhere online. I'm sure most people in the know looked at it and went "this doesn't look good", but it's definitely being treated like a tentpole game ad wise.

Redfall is an actual AAA release from a Microsoft owned Bethesda studio's for release on the Xbox Series line of videogame consoles. You better believe it's a tentpole release and that doesn't change just because it's turned out to be crap.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://youtu.be/yKwfEQ1eEyM

quote:

In a recent interview on the Kinda Funny podcast, Spencer spoke candidly about the launch of Redfall, saying “There’s nothing that’s more difficult for me than disappointing the Xbox community and just to kind of watch the community lose confidence and be disappointed, I’m disappointed, I’m upset with myself.”

The release of Redfall was not without its hiccups. Spencer admitted that not delivering on their promise of 60 FPS was a “punch in the chin” and acknowledged that the critical response was not what they had hoped for. Despite the disappointment, Spencer expressed his unwavering support for Arkane Austin, the developers of the game, and their creative aspirations.

Phil Spencer also noted that the team is taking on board the short-term feedback and is still working on delivering 60 FPS. “We’re going to continue to work on the game”, he said.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

quote:

“On the review scores, we do mock reviews and Redfall got double digits from our mock reviews so the reviews it actually got are much lower. We never thought it’d review in the low 60s. Redfall is much lower than our internal metrics.“

Oh Phil…

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

quote:

Redfall got double digits from our mock reviews so the reviews it actually got are much lower. We never thought it’d review in the low 60s.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ZeeBoi posted:

Oh Phil…

if that's true i think you need to fire that entire department and restaff lol

30 mins with that game is enough to see that it's a trashfire

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

To be fair to Phil here, Redfall's metacritic score is still in the double digits.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1654131294140506116

Kinda gotta respect the honesty here.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Xbox increasingly isolated ..

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I remember Destiny 1 had the same thing happen. They were expecting 90s and got 70s. Something busted in the internal review method.

" Destiny came out on September 9, 2014. Most of the development team was proud of the game, a source told me, and many were shocked to see harsh reviews; although most at Bungie had anticipated that players wouldn’t love the story, the team thought Destiny made up for that deficiency in many other ways. One source says they had internal surveys pegging the Metacritic score at around a 90 average; it turned out to be a 76. (Bungie then missed out on a major bonus, that source confirmed.)"

https://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I also remember something about the Mass Effect Andromeda team doing mock reviews and expecting a survivable low 80s meta, then EA had that free demo weekend and everybody started making the face tired memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

He was asked if we should expect an answer to the 30/60fps question for Starfield at the next showcase and all he said was a quick “yeah.”