Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arivia posted:

like, the Legacy version? or do you mean the Hot Zone variants or what?

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. I just meant on paper people tend to play formats that are not on Arena and formats that are more social or casual experiences. Mainly Commander and Draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I don't think I've seen a single person playing that on MTGA. Nice!

I tried making a Hawker-based deck after drafting a bunch of them and having it work pretty well in limited... I recognized bankbuster but i didn't think about tezzeret and incubate synergies though lol

The thing I tried to force was surge engine but that still seemed too clunky

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 3, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I tried making a Hawker-based deck after drafting a bunch of them and having it work pretty well in limited... I recognized bankbuster but i didn't think about tezzeret and incubate synergies though lol

This might be a little too cute, but there’s also Energy Refractor.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. I just meant on paper people tend to play formats that are not on Arena and formats that are more social or casual experiences. Mainly Commander and Draft.

you capitalized Pandemic so I was joking like it was the Pandemic board game that had killed paper standard in your area.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Sorry for not responding. I wasn’t following the previous conversation, so didn’t want to assume the reply was actually meant for me.

I’d be up for selling to goons if I find it (foil Donate), but i don’t know how to assess card condition. It seemed pristine the last time I saw it, for what little that’s worth. Of course, I’d take photos, though.

Ah OK.

You can post it in the card selling thread in SA-MART and likely get a decent price for it. You'd be asked to take good well-lit photos of front and back, of course, and that'd help establish the value.

There's also big online stores that buy and sell singletons, you mail the cards and they assess condition and make you an offer but if you refuse I assume you have to pay the return shipping, and of course they intend to resell at a profit so you're getting some discounted offer price.

I sold some dual lands in SA-MART several years ago and had a perfectly fine experience.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Maaaan I read this and threw the Hawker into my Shark Control standard deck and it rules.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Rinkles posted:

Sorry for not responding. I wasn’t following the previous conversation, so didn’t want to assume the reply was actually meant for me.

I’d be up for selling to goons if I find it (foil Donate), but i don’t know how to assess card condition. It seemed pristine the last time I saw it, for what little that’s worth. Of course, I’d take photos, though.

Yup, was meaning to respond to you. And yes, your foil Donate would look great in my Zedruu deck. Just post in SA Mart whenever you find it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arivia posted:

you capitalized Pandemic so I was joking like it was the Pandemic board game that had killed paper standard in your area.

Lmao I was at work so made a note to look up those formats or events later.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Maaaan I read this and threw the Hawker into my Shark Control standard deck and it rules.

Post them sharks son

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

i had a lot of people on the ladder instantly concede to t1 omen hawker, t2 field of ruin/demolition field lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rinkles posted:

This might be a little too cute, but there’s also Energy Refractor.

hmm... the gears are turning...

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno if it's good or not, but I saw someone playing a convoke deck on Arena Standard that ran Delver of Secrets, Invasion of Shandalar, and Zephyr Singer. Didn't see much else of it but it went hard on convoke which was cool

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

hmm... the gears are turning...

List plz, I fuckin love mechtitan core

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Silhouette posted:

List plz, I fuckin love mechtitan core

Deck
4 Omen Hawker (MOM) 70
16 Island (ANA) 4
4 Field of Ruin (XLN) 254
2 Tezzeret, Betrayer of Flesh (NEO) 84
4 Reckoner Bankbuster (NEO) 255
4 Combat Courier (BRO) 77
4 Patchwork Automaton (NEO) 254
4 Make Disappear (SNC) 49
2 Otawara, Soaring City (NEO) 271
4 Energy Refractor (BRO) 234
2 Mechtitan Core (NEO) 249
2 Demolition Field (BRO) 260
2 Unctus, Grand Metatect (ONE) 75
4 Disruption Protocol (NEO) 51
2 The Reality Chip (NEO) 74

Gameplan: Acceleration through Omen Hawker paying for abilities into a quick Mechtitan or just bashing with a bunch of 4/4s.

Combat Courier is a cheap artifact, can be sacced/tapped for the counterspells, chump block and draw, whatever's needed, and can get dug out of the graveyard for when it's time to Titan. Bankbuster's synergy with Hawker is pretty straightforward. Refractor as a cantrip that lets you filter Hawker mana is pretty cool, tbh. Patchwork Automaton grows pretty easily and can bash if needed. Reality Chip should help with digging through the deck, also a decent blocker and Titan piece. (I had been trying Surge Engine but investing so much mana in one creature led to too many blowouts against black decks). Make Disappear and Disruption Protocol for protection. The high end: Tezzeret can come out on 3 with Hawker into Energy Refractor, and then make the refractor into a 4/4. Unctus does a global buff if bashing ends up the plan, but also makes the Hawkers into looters for free. Importantly, it can make the Hawkers and Bankbuster pilots into artifact creatures for Mechtitan, which if enough pieces are in play you can just cast and activate on the same turn to prevent disruption. Mono-U allows for running the Fields of Ruin which, as suggested upthread, can be free to punish shaky mana bases. Otawara's channel ability can be paid for by Hawker and potentially gets discounted by Reality Chip and Unctus.

Certainly happy to get any suggestions!

Edit: Oh hmm I could probably be running more utility lands... Mirrex... whoa... Mishra's Foundry? Mycosynth Gardens?

Oh yeah, Mirrex is definitely worth it. I did -2 Demolition -4 islands, +2 Mirrex +2 Mycosynth Gardens +2 Mishra's Foundry

Continuing testing, some interesting board states... I wonder if the esper control deck got annoyed when they walked into my counterspells camouflaged by ability mana lol

Also in another game got incredibly boned by this ruling after I tapped my Mishra's Factory for mana lol: "Tezzeret, Betrayer of Flesh's first ability reduces the cost of the first activated ability of an artifact that you begin to activate each turn. The second ability (and any subsequent abilities) of an artifact you activate that turn won't cost {2} less to activate, even if the first ability you activated didn't cost any mana to begin with. Notably, this does not exclude mana abilities."

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 4, 2023

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Oh man, that's spicy

I'll build it and let you know how I do with it :)

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
It's a super cool build but it sucks that it would be bad at going through Arena Quests.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wow, Invasion of Kamigawa has a 48% GIH WR on 17 lands. That’s bottom of the barrel stats.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What format is this upcoming pt? Is the meta anything interesting? I haven't followed competitive Magic for years.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Wow, Invasion of Kamigawa has a 48% GIH WR on 17 lands. That’s bottom of the barrel stats.
Combination of bad front side and the flipped creature not being that great. There are better tempo options in Blue like Wicked Slumber.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol, I know I'm still in the post-reset gold ranks but this has felt pretty good, I have assembled the megazord more times tonight than I can remember

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What format is this upcoming pt? Is the meta anything interesting? I haven't followed competitive Magic for years.

It’s standard. It’s interesting in so far as MOM is fairly powerful, so chances are there might be some new cool decks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If you flash in Faerie Mastermind to sac to Invoke Despair, it doesn’t “see” the cards drawn from the other effects of Despair, right?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rinkles posted:

If you flash in Faerie Mastermind to sac to Invoke Despair, it doesn’t “see” the cards drawn from the other effects of Despair, right?

That's correct, because the creature is sacrificed first.

But a Narset will block the extra draws even if you do sacrifice it, because the planeswalker is sacrificed last.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Bit of a spread of decks this time
https://twitter.com/fireshoes/status/1654138989970874368?t=YM8klhfe3trqAsMxQcd4CQ&s=19

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

So this guy was bullshitting, no copies of Omen Hawker were registered according to Karsten.

https://magic.gg/news/pro-tour-march-of-the-machine-standard-metagame-breakdown

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Green’s pretty bad right now huh

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
thankfully we're just about to get back to eldraine. who's ready for questing beast and great henge reprints

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Aw man no mono red, no wonder in having trouble in gold with it. Guess I won't be getting any higher ranked for a while.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Mono-red seems like such a dog to Esper that it’s probably unplayable at that kind of tournament

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Green’s pretty bad right now huh

There's that delayed developmentary reaction again. Wasn't too long ago when Green could do everything in Standard and everyone was crying about Questing Beast, Hydroid Krasis, Nissa Who Shakes the World, Wicked Wolf, Uro, Wilderness Reclamation, and Lovestruck Beast.

Now, years later, we see the deliberate effort to tone green back down and now it's just stone unplayable because ramp and fatties are just unplayable in a format that does things as powerful as quickly as the current Standard. Who wants to take turn two off dropping a mana dork to skip straight to 4 mana when so many current 2 and 3 drops produce a ton of pressure on the board?

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 4, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Elblanco posted:

Aw man no mono red, no wonder in having trouble in gold with it. Guess I won't be getting any higher ranked for a while.

tbh pro tours aren't necessarily a great way to judge a deck overall

Like the fact that it's not there at all is bad, but a lot of time deck choices are about what you think is specifically going to be at the event and what gives you the best play. Like if you expect one deck to be most of your matchups you might play a deck that's not great, but specifically clowns on the few decks you're expecting

Edit: and vice versa too, so even if a deck is pretty good against the field, if it has a really bad matchup with a deck you think will be over-represented than you might not play it

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 4, 2023

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

flatluigi posted:

thankfully we're just about to get back to eldraine. who's ready for questing beast and great henge reprints

Great henge is like 50 bucks so probably a lot of people

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

imweasel09 posted:

Great henge is like 50 bucks so probably a lot of people

No loving way--

Oh, it's over $60 per Scryfall.

Thank God for Arena (or MTGO too I guess), how the hell can anyone afford to play this game in paper?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also, bo1 is a very different beast, if that’s what you’re playing.

E: regarding the viability of mono red

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

If you click through there are six mono red decks registered. Admittedly that’s not very many, but someone is trying it.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Thank God for Arena (or MTGO too I guess), how the hell can anyone afford to play this game in paper?

A proxy-friendly playgroup or spending ~$2.50/card for Chinese copies ime.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

No loving way--

Oh, it's over $60 per Scryfall.

Proxies. Paper magic is pay what you want. The 2.50 Chinese proxies are good enough you don't even need to discuss who printed your cards because it's nobody's business anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Proxies. Paper magic is pay what you want. The 2.50 Chinese proxies are good enough you don't even need to discuss who printed your cards because it's nobody's business anyway.

This post would’ve been controversial in older iterations of the thread.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rinkles posted:

This post would’ve been controversial in older iterations of the thread.

even WotC is in the proxy business now

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

even WotC is in the proxy business now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Also, bo1 is a very different beast, if that’s what you’re playing.

E: regarding the viability of mono red

That's what I played mainly and realized that bo3 would even out my win rate a bit, in theory at least. I've just been getting my rear end kicked by grixis and random though.