Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it's pretty weird to talk about a playstation 4 game "holding up to this day", like is there even any difference in gameplay design or philosophy or whatever between the ps4 and ps5 eras, besides the improved graphics?

e: unless you're talking about Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
He is, yes. People still laugh and make jokes about orc-kicking.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Bethesda have been poo poo since they decided they didn't want to only be known as "the Elder Scrolls people". Which is my own personal drama because I just want more Elder Scrolls. :negative:

(and none of that shite about TES online)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

FishMcCool posted:

Bethesda have been poo poo since they decided they didn't want to only be known as "the Elder Scrolls people". Which is my own personal drama because I just want more Elder Scrolls. :negative:

(and none of that shite about TES online)

You mean the Skyrim people?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ESO is pretty decent and one of the only successful MMOs today.

But yeah, it’s not a substitute for an actual Elder Scrolls game in any way.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Leal posted:

I went to see if there was anything that can fill the itch for Ogre Battle 64 and saw this recommended. I click on the steam page and the video autoplayed and I saw the giant woman, the butt, then laughed and closed the page.

The odd kink stuff with the giant woman aside the game is very legit and is in fact the closest thing you will find to an OB64 itch scratcher.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
bethesda didn't even make elder scrolls online, zenimax just used their IP for it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

e: unless you're talking about Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah?

I am.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Posted this in the rouge lites thread but since this thread is way more active, I've been playing a bit of Rogue legacy 2 and it's really fun but how do I actually fight the first boss? I'm assuming it's behind the big locked door but can't figure out how to open it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The big locked door in the starting room is for later.
The actual first boss has his own special boss-door-room which always gets generated somewhere in the first area, so you're bound to run into it eventually as long as you keep exploring (and don't die).

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 4, 2023

Estel
May 4, 2010
You have to hit both lamps outside the door quickly. To do it you need to explore the castle until you find an item that unlocks the dash skill so you can hit one, dash and hit the other one.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Fruits of the sea posted:

ESO is pretty decent and one of the only successful MMOs today.

you can not call any MMO that has like 4 out of 80+ mounts obtainable via in-game rewards while the rest of them have to be bought with real money or claimed during a time-limited event a "decent" MMO by any definition of the word

also the global level scaling is dogshit and removes all sense of progression from the game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Estel posted:

You have to hit both lamps outside the door quickly. To do it you need to explore the castle until you find an item that unlocks the dash skill so you can hit one, dash and hit the other one.

Ok yeah this was what I thought, but I am so bad at this game I gave up on it and assumed it was something else. Went back and did it but it took me like 20 tries to hit both lanterns. Seems super finicky to hit both of them but I suck so maybe it's just that.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

ShadowMar posted:

you can not call any MMO that has like 4 out of 80+ mounts obtainable via in-game rewards while the rest of them have to be bought with real money or claimed during a time-limited event a "decent" MMO by any definition of the word

also the global level scaling is dogshit and removes all sense of progression from the game

Yeah, I've tried ESO twice, once by myself and once with friends, and I couldn't keep playing for more than a few hours. I guess people who play only MMOs or microtransaction-heavy games get desensitized to just how bad the gameplay is, and how boring the world and progression is because it's an MMO.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's a theme park MMO where you tour the Elder Scrolls world and all the expansions are unlocked with a subscription bar the newest one each year. Which is pretty good value imo. If you're looking for gripping gameplay or all the cosmetic crap unlocked, then ESO or most any MMO is not going to deliver :v:

It's weird, MMOs are kind of zombie genre now. I don't think a successful one has been released in a decade unless you count New World's middling success but god knows what the player count is now.

E: If it sounds like I'm damning with faint praise that's because I think the genre is great for turning the brain off, exploring cool poo poo and not much else.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 4, 2023

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The general rule is that it is a dying genre and nobody is throwing new cash at it (except Amazon).

Note that this rule doesn’t seem to apply for Asia.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I’m just glad lord of the rings online is somehow still around because I really enjoy getting blazed and exploring that world.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

New World came out already?!?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stasis 2 comes out May 31

Fall of Porcupine releases June 15th

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mr E posted:

I’m just glad lord of the rings online is somehow still around because I really enjoy getting blazed and exploring that world.

drat, it is? That's wild, I played that game a ton like a decade ago, when the Mirkwood expansion came out.

They must be all the way in Mordor by now, huh.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They’re multiple expansions past reaching Mordor, though I think a couple of them continued to fool around in the general area.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm holding out until they release the Tom Bombadil endgame zone.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

exquisite tea posted:

I'm holding out until they release the Tom Bombadil endgame zone.

Oh he's been in it from the start, and Goldberry. There's like a whole sidequest chain involving them, where you end up having to fight the evil Old Man Willow, and as part of the main quest he rescues you from the barrow wights just like in the book.

They love to go deep on lore in that game (and make up a bunch of new lore).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So like is "wizard" a class? Considering there are only supposed to be, like, five?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Not really - there are Runekeepers and Loremasters, but they're more like...combat druids/alchemists than wizards.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 4, 2023

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mordja posted:

So like is "wizard" a class? Considering there are only supposed to be, like, five?

No, you have some casters that use runes and such but no full on wizards.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Shadow wizard money gang

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

today i guess is announcement day

https://twitter.com/DONTNOD_Ent/status/1654169020654813188

also, LudaNarraCon 2023 is live. Here are the demos live for this week only,, including Don't Nod's Harmony:

Astronaut: The Best
Cryptmaster
Demonschool
Death Trick: Double Blind
Goodbye Volcano High
Ghostpia: Season One
Kitsune: The Journey of Adashino
Mythwrecked
Paper Ghost Stories: Third Eye Open
Slay the Princess
Stray Gods
Sucker for Love: Date to Die For (sequel)
Tamarindo's Freaking Dinner
Times and Galaxy
The Invincible
Underground Blossom
Wrestling With Emotions

returning demos: The Star Named EOS (by the dev of Behind the Frame), Case of the Golden Idol, I Did Not Buy This Ticket, The Palace on the Hill, Norco, Glitchhikers, The Pale Beyond, Figment 2, Mask of the Rose (Failbetter Games), Loco Motive, Dead Pets Unleashed, Midautumn, Roadwarden, 1000 X Resist, Fall of Porcupine, Forever Lost, Coffee Talk Ep 2, Do Not Feed the Monkeys 2099

notable games on sale:
Neon White $19.99
Disco Elysium the Final Cut $9.99
Meg's Monster: $12.74
Mail Time: $15.99
8 Bit Adventures 2 $15.99
Inscryption $11.99
Wildermyth $18.24
Boyfriend Dungeon $12.99
Exo One $8.49
Betrayal at Club Low $6.69
Strange Horticulture $8.99
Imposter Factory $5.49
Scarlet Hollow $18.74
Sunless Skies Sovereign Edition $9.99
Monster Prom $2.99
Monster Camp $5.99
Monster Roadtrip $9.59
Mothmen 1966 $3.05
Lake $9.99
Beacon Pines $13.99
Neo Cab $2.24
Not for Broadcast $9.99
Gerda $11.99
Paradise Killer $7.99
The Church in the Darkness $1.99
Roadwarden $7.69
Bad End Theater $6.99
Treachery in Beatdown City $4.99
Genesis Noir $4.99
Lacuna $4.79
Return to Monkey Island $17.49
Lamplight City $8.99
Curious Expedition 2 $9.99
No Longer Home $5.99
In Other Waters $4.49
Cloudpunk $6.99
Eternal Threads $9.99

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 4, 2023

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

This is always such a weird thing for me.

Like FF14 forces you to pay monthly, and it takes a month of dailies to unlock one of the "free" mounts. So it's not free. It's paying $15 for the joy of doing lovely side missions for 30 days to get a $15 "earnable" mount. Almost all the mounts are gated in this way. RNG drops are scarce, and unless you dramatically outlevel the content it's going to take awhile to get RNG in your favor.

Yet that's hailed as such a customer facing move, wheras ESO gets railed at for selling them for like $7. It's all just weird psych bullshit.

Especially because why does it always come back down to mounts? Why do mounts loving matter so much. Why does cash shop poo poo matter so much to people. What's wrong with just the horse.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's very funny to me that after being called "Dark Souls with guns" the Remnant devs are now making a zone that's very "Bloodborne with guns" for the sequel
https://twitter.com/Remnant_Game/status/1654154264367734787?cxt=HHwWhoCxtcKi3vQtAAAA

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-collection-build-your-own-bundle

Fanatical collection Platinum collection for May 2023:(3 for $9.99/5 for $14.99/7 for $19.99)

quote:

Unruly heroes
Yaga
Bloody Rally shadow
Cult simulator - anthology edition
Hidden through time
Chronicon
Princess farmer
Ghost of a tale
Such art
Metro redux bundle (Metro 2033 redux/Metro last light redux)
Internet cafe simulator 2
Beasts of Maravilla island
Gal*Gun 2
Gal*Gun double peace - Fanatical edition
Shenmue 3
Legends of Ethernal
Between the stars
ConnecTank
Serin Fate
Teacup

Fanatical star deal: Star Wars collection - $19.49 (14 Star Wars games)

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/star-wars-collection

21 hours on that star deal

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mordja posted:

It's very funny to me that after being called "Dark Souls with guns" the Remnant devs are now making a zone that's very "Bloodborne with guns" for the sequel
https://twitter.com/Remnant_Game/status/1654154264367734787?cxt=HHwWhoCxtcKi3vQtAAAA

bloodborne with more guns, surely

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

fit em all up in there posted:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-collection-build-your-own-bundle

Fanatical collection Platinum collection for May 2023:(3 for $9.99/5 for $14.99/7 for $19.99)

Fanatical star deal: Star Wars collection - $19.49 (14 Star Wars games)

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/star-wars-collection

21 hours on that star deal

Shenmue 3 is an experience that you owe it to yourself to get for dirt cheap if you've ever played the original Shenmue.

It's terrible in all the most incredible baffling ways like it just refuses to learn from literally every single game that took that original idea and expanded, improved, and built up for the last 20 years. It's technically solid and perfectly fine if you just cheat to solve the money grind issue which accounts for probably 1/3 of the expected playtime.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bloodborne with guns that actually do damage without a 50-point stat investment

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rookersh posted:

This is always such a weird thing for me.

Like FF14 forces you to pay monthly, and it takes a month of dailies to unlock one of the "free" mounts. So it's not free. It's paying $15 for the joy of doing lovely side missions for 30 days to get a $15 "earnable" mount. Almost all the mounts are gated in this way. RNG drops are scarce, and unless you dramatically outlevel the content it's going to take awhile to get RNG in your favor.

Yet that's hailed as such a customer facing move, wheras ESO gets railed at for selling them for like $7. It's all just weird psych bullshit.

Especially because why does it always come back down to mounts? Why do mounts loving matter so much. Why does cash shop poo poo matter so much to people. What's wrong with just the horse.

meh, having grindy stuff in an mmo is fine
in theory you're paying $15 to actually play the game, or at least to afk in limsa lominsa while typing in your ingame group chats, and the mount farming is just a thing you do on the side.

the real tragedy is the fact that ffxiv has a huge rear end cash shop full of exclusive mounts and cosmetics on top of those ingame ones

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ff14 is squares biggest cash cow and they are milking it

gotta cover for all the flops somehow

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Golden Idol DLC's out, y'all. It's very good but also very short (beat it in less than two hours) - but hey, it's more Golden idol.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
FF14 was awesome for me. I played casually on and off over the course of a few years, solo except for PUGs during dungeons and raids, and chilled atop my faithful company chocobo from level 20 till the end of Endwalker. The only money I spent besides the subscription and expansions was on all the weed I consumed along the way with my best friends, The Scions of the Seventh Dawn.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I bought Destroy all Humans 2: Reprobed after watching a joke review by a youtube and I'm really enjoying it. I like this kind of juvenile humour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Rookersh posted:

It's extra silly in ESO because you can easily boost your speed enough to never need a mount. I only use one in cyrodill because they made it way too big and empty for world pvp reasons.