Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Elon, immediately after finding out someone posted on Martyr (Martian Twytter) that he was having second thoughts about being stuck working in the Martian colony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8lT-Sn-HqE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
elon eat the eggs

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lord Stimperor posted:

Where is the candle budget

https://www.thecut.com/article/luxury-candles-that-are-worth-buying.html

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Log082 posted:

You're confusing the hyperloop and the boring tunnel thing. the hyperloop is the fast capsules in a vacuum tube, that is better than high speed rail because, uh, reasons. I don't think elon ever tried to build a hyperloop, he just put the "idea" out there and then a few startups of gullible idiots tried to make it work. The boring company thing is teslas self driving (lol) through tunnels, that's better than the subway because poors can't use it.

You're not wrong that they both loving suck, I just want to point out that elon musk has two different projects where he invented mass transit, but worse in every possible way.

No, the hyperloop was reduced to teslas in a tunnel. It is the same thing

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The same name, anyway.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The same contract, probably. They just completely changed the spec after it was signed.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The Telsas aren’t even self driving in the tunnel. They have to pay human beings to drive people down the tunnel one car load at a time.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'm a software engineer, and I don't see AI as a threat to my job, but instead as a valuable tool I'd love to be able to use. It would be extremely cool if I could ask a chatbot how some esoteric thing I'm trying to learn is supposed to work, instead of having to trawl the web for instructions on how to best handle Kafka messages with a specific version of Java, or whatever. And maybe have the AI generate a stub for me that I can start working from. Or do some of the basic grunt work, like generating unit tests or something.
This is all stuff you can do now, go check out the GPT-4 version of ChatGPT. It even gets the code right more often than you’d expect it to without an interpreter.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

This is all stuff you can do now, go check out the GPT-4 version of ChatGPT. It even gets the code right more often than you’d expect it to without an interpreter.

Don't submit confidential information anything you send may be used in future training data and if it learned your secret sauce it's going to blab.

There's an actual report of this happening to Samsung.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Bar Crow posted:

The Telsas aren’t even self driving in the tunnel. They have to pay human beings to drive people down the tunnel one car load at a time.

And the whole thing was so poorly thought out that with even a small amount of demand the whole tunnel backs up into a single lane traffic jam at which point you might as well be on Las Vegas BLVD because at least you can get out of your car if there’s a fire.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

pixaal posted:

Don't submit confidential information anything you send may be used in future training data and if it learned your secret sauce it's going to blab.

There's an actual report of this happening to Samsung.
Yeah that’s good advice for people who actually write crucial code for big secretive companies. I’m just writing productivity tools for dealing with tedious administrative poo poo for enterprise software that already has comprehensive documentation on the internet.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Log082 posted:

You're confusing the hyperloop and the boring tunnel thing. the hyperloop is the fast capsules in a vacuum tube, that is better than high speed rail because, uh, reasons. I don't think elon ever tried to build a hyperloop, he just put the "idea" out there and then a few startups of gullible idiots tried to make it work. The boring company thing is teslas self driving (lol) through tunnels, that's better than the subway because poors can't use it.

You're not wrong that they both loving suck, I just want to point out that elon musk has two different projects where he invented mass transit, but worse in every possible way.
It's weird that people ever treated Elon like a genius for the very idea of the Hyperloop, it's hardly an original idea.

Hell, here is a 1970s science-fiction book that uses the same basic idea.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Twitter is completely broken now, no new tweets are loading

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Yeah that’s good advice for people who actually write crucial code for big secretive companies. I’m just writing productivity tools for dealing with tedious administrative poo poo for enterprise software that already has comprehensive documentation on the internet.
I mean there's probably nothing interesting enough happening for your employer (or the original source of the code snippets it's assembling for you) to care. But most companies consider your output, including boring productivity tools for enterprise software, to be the company's IP. Short of having their written permission (including most likely working on local company specific instances with known training data) that what you're feeding the tool is kosher and what it's spitting out is appropriate to include without further licensing etc. is a recipe for a random unexplainable bad day when angry tech lawyers show up.

There's enough bad legal IP mojo around the popular LLMs trained on who knows what that I'm not touching it professionally unless some big code wizard lawyers tell me it's ok even if I just want dumb stack overflow shortcuts. At least stack overflow has a citability that reduces concerns about accidentally using a code snippet against it's licensing terms.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

AlmightyBob posted:

Twitter is completely broken now, no new tweets are loading

This accelerates the development of X, the everything app, by 3-5 years

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Bar Crow posted:

was going to mention this.

once again a techbro reinvents a thing but worse. like maybe the city of Vegas atleast knows they need to have Commercial driver's license and insurance(life too??) for their tesla baby sitters.

like being a short circuit driver is fine, but usually you see that in ports and industrial places.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Rebel Blob posted:

It's weird that people ever treated Elon like a genius for the very idea of the Hyperloop, it's hardly an original idea.

Hell, here is a 1970s science-fiction book that uses the same basic idea.

at this point,

Elon: "I think we should build tanks as giant bipedal "quote unquote" "mechwarriors"

blue checks: :dumbbravo: INNOVATIVE AND UNIQUE

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Serious_Cyclone posted:

That Planet Elon! watermark is Joe Rogan University levels of cringe.

ikr, isn't it great?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

MrQwerty posted:

at this point,

Elon: "I think we should build tanks as giant bipedal "quote unquote" "mechwarriors"

blue checks: :dumbbravo: INNOVATIVE AND UNIQUE

Surely you forget:

And all the bazingas were drooling.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Log082 posted:

the boring company is has some outrageous claims that it can dig a tunnel that currently takes 10+yrs in 1yr because of reasons it wont explain. it also thinks it can just add new tunnels next to exisisting tunnels if demand increases.

it will use these tunnels to build the hyperloop which has always been cars getting put onto a magnetic railway and being automated through the tunnels. all of this is magic and not actually possible irc for obvious reasons of the entrances and exits would cause insane traffic jams and that the property line in the us extends to hell. that isnt a figure of speech thats the wording in the law. so they would have to get everyone permission of they drill under.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn6ZVpJLxs if you want a video essay about it

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

snergle posted:

the boring company is has some outrageous claims that it can dig a tunnel that currently takes 10+yrs in 1yr because of reasons it wont explain.

Smaller drills. Elon once was asked about this, and he thought you could build the same size tunnel if you used smaller drills.
Wish I could find the article, probabl was a Thunderf00t video about it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If elon was really a genius he'd invent those people tubes from futurama

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
reminder that comic and anime cosplay nerds have been doing skin tight suits for decades with no seams or creases and all without the budget of a billionaire

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Every one of Elon’s ideas is just sci-fi vaporware from over 50 years ago. The stories made to convince nerds we weren’t headed for a dead end. Space travel for endless frontiers to exploit. Robots for endless slave labor. Endless toys and treats to consume to give life meaning.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Bar Crow posted:

Every one of Elon’s ideas is just sci-fi vaporware from over 50 years ago. The stories made to convince nerds we weren’t headed for a dead end. Space travel for endless frontiers to exploit. Robots for endless slave labor. Endless toys and treats to consume to give life meaning.

you won't care

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

big black turnout posted:

No, the hyperloop was reduced to teslas in a tunnel. It is the same thing

I don't think so? Musky released the hyperloop paper in 2013 and that obviously went nowhere, but was supposed to be long distance, above-ground trains in vacuum tubes doing like mach 0.9. Boring company was supposed to solve his commute traffic with these "autonomous pods" that got downgraded to autonomous teslas and then again to human-driven teslas.

Not that it matters, it's all bullshit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Problem: 50,000 people per hour need to travel 4 miles from the Old Strip to the New Strip and back. Street level traffic is gridlocked. Walking takes half an hour in 120° temps. There are many pedestrian bridges but they are clogged with people and you can hardly move. There are many monorail/transit systems between hotels but they only operate within a single ownership sphere

Solution: dig a 1-lane tunnel under LV Blvd and make each individual person get in an individual Tesla with an individual driver. With wait times, covering the 4 mi distance takes about half an hour. Total capacity: 100 people per hour

(numbers sourced from rear end)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think so? Musky released the hyperloop paper in 2013 and that obviously went nowhere, but was supposed to be long distance, above-ground trains in vacuum tubes doing like mach 0.9. Boring company was supposed to solve his commute traffic with these "autonomous pods" that got downgraded to autonomous teslas and then again to human-driven teslas.

Not that it matters, it's all bullshit.

is there a video demo of this? I want to see that thing have g forces for starting and stopping that turn humans into meat paste. (somewhat related, tom Scott has a recent video of him riding one of jap[an's new high speed rail and he mentions that people forget that you need to speed up and then speed down at a smooth and slow enough rate to not make people sick)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Dabir posted:

If elon was really a genius he'd invent those people tubes suicide booths from futurama

I think this is more accurate

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yall don't need to try and come up with reasons about why it's dumb outside the obvious
- It's a stupid tiny single lane enclosed tunnel, that isn't even straight
- The tunnel is so loving tiny that if a car explodes inside it's literally a death trap for it's occupants
- If a fire occurs smoke will fill the tunnel, easily outpacing whatever mediocre ventilation system he's employing

It's a death trap

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dude straight up has the mind of a teenager

I mean that earnestly

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Squibbles posted:

I think this is more accurate

He did invent those, they're called "Teslas".

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Infinitum posted:

Dude straight up has the mind of a teenager

I mean that earnestly

An insult to teenagers everywhere lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

is there a video demo of this? I want to see that thing have g forces for starting and stopping that turn humans into meat paste. (somewhat related, tom Scott has a recent video of him riding one of jap[an's new high speed rail and he mentions that people forget that you need to speed up and then speed down at a smooth and slow enough rate to not make people sick)

No, because it doesn't exist lol

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1654183141605625860

lol star wars lol im a nerd just like you *posts picture 100% unrelated to star wars*

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
You see I never got why they need the cars in the tunnel at all. Just put a premium acme fan at one end and all you need to do is walking in the tunnel at the end than tumble weed to your destination at the other.

Why do people always try and over complicate things!

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

dr_rat posted:

You see I never got why they need the cars in the tunnel at all. Just put a premium acme fan at one end and all you need to do is walking in the tunnel at the end than tumble weed to your destination at the other.

Have we tried trebuchets yet? Just fling the people to the destination.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

gschmidl posted:

He did invent those, they're called "Teslas".

He didn't even invent those either

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

dr_rat posted:

How about a deluge of water forcing the people to the next stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kazil posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1654183141605625860

lol star wars lol im a nerd just like you *posts picture 100% unrelated to star wars*

“No, don’t you see? I DO spend time with my kids!”