Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

There feels like a lot more quest pointing here than in early botw. Once you're off the plateau you have None Direction until you stumble on a breadcrumb pointing you to Kakariko->Hateno->??? But here, you get more right out the gate with a trek to the castle, teaching you how to use the towers, sending you into the depths with the old man. I'm pretty sure they're pointing me towards Rito Village next, but I'm being deliberately obtuse and going out of my way to just explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I think the only complaint, not really one I guess, is how long this is going to be if you want to see everything. Hyrule is the same size as last game it seems plus then you have all the sky stuff plus the underground stuff. Burnout could be a real issue.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think y'all really stretching to make it sound worse. Takes like an hour to get through and pretty smooth. Idk are y'all falling off a bunch of something

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Shabadu posted:

There feels like a lot more quest pointing here than in early botw. Once you're off the plateau you have None Direction until you stumble on a breadcrumb pointing you to Kakariko->Hateno->??? But here, you get more right out the gate with a trek to the castle, teaching you how to use the towers, sending you into the depths with the old man. I'm pretty sure they're pointing me towards Rito Village next, but I'm being deliberately obtuse and going out of my way to just explore.
The king literally tells you to go to kakariko, that's not exactly a breadcrumb

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah I mean, I don't really consider the tutorial over until you get the glider (and maybe the breadcrumbed stuff in the depths, but obviously a lot of people are getting on fine without that). At that point you have four waypoints and a light suggestion of which one to do first. I guess that is significantly more guidance than botw but highly easy to ignore, and I think in practice most people probably will

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

No Mods No Masters posted:

The great island almost feels like a throwback to a more old school zelda philosophy where you are systematically tutorialized to death with a sequence of 50 children's puzzles. There is a little bit of choice and flexibility in it but you really have to go out of your way to not just take the intended solutions I feel like.

I'm like meh leaning slightly positive on botw overall but I do appreciate the virtues of the plateau especially a lot more now

it's a weird sort of "have your cake and eat it too" thing, I 100% went off the intended path during the tutorial between shrine #2 and #3...and then thought better of it, backtracked and took the intended route with the thought "the way this is going I'm going to regret skipping the signposted route" and sure as gently caress, I would have just completely skipped past the zoastite forge and never been the wiser

the great plateau worked as a tutorial because to my recollection, there wasn't a ton it needed to actually teach you, outside of rune shrines that were by definition their tutorials-- and the few absolutely "you will get hosed up" items like informing the player that temperature exists are handled in the HUD, not as in-world information that's taught to you by the old man. everything else is effectively optional information to anyone familiar with survival games (like the concepts of "shooting things" and "wearing armor"), and the plateau is just a sandbox to show the player the nature of the various physics interactions underpinning the game

this game is necessarily more complicated but seems to have said "well people are expecting a great plateau so we have to have something that sort of works the same way" even if the reason/context the GP worked in the first place isn't fully present this time around

to also be fair to the developers, doing as direct a sequel as this is will always be a Pain In The rear end because you can't just say "here's how we tutorialize new players", you have to figure out a way to get all of the mechanics tutorialized to actually-new players while simultanously figuring out how to account for "new to this specific game" players who spent 500+ hours in BotW and don't need to be taught how to cut down a tree or cook an apple

i suppose a branching path with a sign that says "if you played BotW go this way for an abbreviated tutorial of the new stuff" would be a bit too 4th wall breaky

Khanstant posted:

I think y'all really stretching to make it sound worse. Takes like an hour to get through and pretty smooth. Idk are y'all falling off a bunch of something

I'm mostly just thinking out loud about it while it's fresh, you only play a game for the first time once and I sure as poo poo won't remember my first-impression feelings about the tutorial area a couple hundred hours later

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Yeah I mean, I don't really consider the tutorial over until you get the glider (and maybe the breadcrumbed stuff in the depths, but obviously a lot of people are getting on fine without that). At that point you have four waypoints and a light suggestion of which one to do first. I guess that is significantly more guidance than botw but highly easy to ignore, and I think in practice most people probably will

Is it more guidance than Botw? You get pointed directly at Kakariko by the King on the Plateau and then Impa gives you the Divine Beast coordinates which feels fairly equivalent.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Khanstant posted:

It took me like four hours to get out of the island, no idea what you're talking about.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I wish I'd timed it, but I feel like 2-3 hours is more plausible. Doubtless 1 is possible if you're just stomping the baby puzzles mercilessly, not talking to the npcs, not lightly looking around for koroks and experimenting, blah blah blah, but I doubt that'll be the normal time it takes people

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Blaziken386 posted:

The king literally tells you to go to kakariko, that's not exactly a breadcrumb

Oh huh, I forgot he even puts the map marker down for you. The journey there does allow for a lot of detours, whereas here it's a bit more immediate and closer until you finish the depths excursion.

I very pointedly decided to ignore the depths stuff though. I went directly to kakariko to get my early game stealth suit and mirror my early game BOTW route, only to get suckered into a sidequest (that I read wrong) which sent me to Hateno and now i'm running an election campaign and fighting Pirates.

If I'm making it sound bad it's probably down to the choice of my words, I greatly enjoyed tutorial island and felt it was a more interesting environment than the Plateau. Each tutorial segment had the moment where I said "huh, how am I going to get there?" when I looked through the scope and pinned a shrine, but I enjoyed the path from shrine to shrine more here. It just feels denser and more authored in a way to make sure you don't miss important things while giving you bits of story.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

lol some of y’all crazy. everything about this game is leagues better than botw, a game I played for maybe ten hours between five attempts before getting bored. the tutorial island is filled with an incredible sense of wonder with me going “well what the gently caress is THAT” every five minutes. I’m maybe five hours and nine shrines into totk and having an incredibly good time.

I’m constantly blown away by the sheer scale of the game too. Like the surface is huge but then you go underground and realize how big that is too. Plus the sky stuff which I’ve barely touched.

the runes in this are vastly more interesting to gently caress with than the ones in botw. oh I can make a block of ice appear in water? oh I can throw a bomb?? zzzzzz. everything pales in comparison to the sheer wonder of building poo poo wiht ultrahand, filling me with a sense of exploratory childlike wonder every time I realize I can do something new that I haven’t thought of before. Plus the others which are all fantastic. Game loving rules.

Also gently caress the tree mimics. Scared the poo poo out of me

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I wish I'd timed it, but I feel like it took me probably like 2-3 hours. I'm sure 1 is possible if you're just stomping the baby puzzles mercilessly, not talking to the npcs, not lightly looking around for koroks and experimenting, blah blah blah, but I doubt that'll be the normal time it takes people

that's the weird frission, too, because I started doing the gently caress-around-explore thing but then remembered that The Lesson of BotW is "loving around is more fun when you have the proper game mechanics available" and since I intentionally went in to TotK completely blind, I had no idea what "the tools" were this time around (and, to some extent, still don't, but). spending an hour on the GP trying to body a metal box into a spot where you can jump on it before you know that "the magnesis rune exists" may be something you look back on bemusedly, but that doesn't mean you want to do that on every subsequent playthrough and I'd almost count a sequel this direct as "a subsequent playthrough" given the huge number of overlapping mechanics

which I guess is also sort of this game writ large, because every time I'm doing something that seems "not quite intended" part of me is wondering "is there some other vehicle piece I'm going to get later that'll make this significantly easier, should I just bail on this now and wait to see if there's some developer-intended way to do this", which feels bad in a sequel to a game that felt like it just handed you all the tools in the tutorial and then kicked you out and said "figure it out, the only wrong solution is the one that doesn't solve the problem"

An Actual Princess posted:

i love them so much, best new character in this game hands down

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Battle Talus makes me grin from ear to ear.

The new old enemy that fucks me up the most are the goddamn Floormaster swarms, surrounded in gloom. I've been marking my map with where I've seen them so I avoid those spots, since they seem to be somewhat set spawns.

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz
Fuse mechanics are very important. The rest is you doing smart or probably stupid things. So many hours of play to go.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I'm just finding I'm way overthinking poo poo. I came across a guy stuck in a hole with his carriage. They had all these parts around so that you could float it out with a hot air balloon, which I tried for a while. A few feet over there was a bunch of wood so I just built a ramp. Turns out I could just lift it with the ultrahand. LMAO

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

An Actual Princess posted:

lol some of y’all crazy. everything about this game is leagues better than botw, a game I played for maybe ten hours between five attempts before getting bored. the tutorial island is filled with an incredible sense of wonder with me going “well what the gently caress is THAT” every five minutes. I’m maybe five hours and nine shrines into totk and having an incredibly good time.

I’m constantly blown away by the sheer scale of the game too. Like the surface is huge but then you go underground and realize how big that is too. Plus the sky stuff which I’ve barely touched.

the runes in this are vastly more interesting to gently caress with than the ones in botw. oh I can make a block of ice appear in water? oh I can throw a bomb?? zzzzzz. everything pales in comparison to the sheer wonder of building poo poo wiht ultrahand, filling me with a sense of exploratory childlike wonder every time I realize I can do something new that I haven’t thought of before. Plus the others which are all fantastic. Game loving rules.

Bombs just being an item you can throw is better than technobombs. I wonder if one of the ice items can be tossed to replicate the ice blocks from botw

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Unrelated to any of the above, is there any trick/mechanic/whatever to making my airships not disappear randomly? flying a balloon/glider and having it blink green and pop like a soap bubble is already getting old as hell

Shabadu posted:

Battle Talus makes me grin from ear to ear.

The new old enemy that fucks me up the most are the goddamn Floormaster swarms, surrounded in gloom. I've been marking my map with where I've seen them so I avoid those spots, since they seem to be somewhat set spawns.

Have you actually fought them yet? I've encounted them three times, twice they seemed to bug out/get caught something where they dropped loot without me actually killing them, but the one time I did hang around to kill them loving Phantom Ganon spawned out of goddamn nowhere and I don't know if that's all of them or something unique to "the one location I was in"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Unrelated to any of the above, is there any trick/mechanic/whatever to making my airships not disappear randomly? flying a balloon/glider and having it blink green and pop like a soap bubble is already getting old as hell

I think all vehicles just have a hardcoded limit of how far they can get from their spawn location. Probably most people aren't really aware of it yet but yeah I think it's going to be a hated aspect

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Have you actually fought them yet? I've encounted them three times, twice they seemed to bug out/get caught something where they dropped loot without me actually killing them, but the one time I did hang around to kill them loving Phantom Ganon spawned out of goddamn nowhere and I don't know if that's all of them or something unique to "the one location I was in"

There's one by a stable I was chilling at, and I ran up a tree like a scared cat and it couldn't reach me. Plunked with some arrows and it did eventually seem to either give up and die, or despawn and die, hard to tell.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Both the island and the plateau feel extremely similar lol what's the difference

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The story in this game is so much better than BotW it’s wild. I’ve only found like three of the tear memory whatsits but they’re a thousand times more interesting than the BotW ones were.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Has anyone found my man Kass in this game yet? I thought Kaneli died over the time skip so Kass might have too, but no, Kaneli's just chilling at the flight range.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I went east of the castle area to the first sky tower and the doors at the bottom are locked, how do i unlock it? NPC there said something about finding mushrooms in a cave at the bottom of the mountain but i can't find it

Also will be kinda disappointed if you can't go where you want and unlock towers anywhere, that was a cool part of the previous game

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

I went east of the castle area to the first sky tower and the doors at the bottom are locked, how do i unlock it? NPC there said something about finding mushrooms in a cave at the bottom of the mountain but i can't find it

Also will be kinda disappointed if you can't go where you want and unlock towers anywhere, that was a cool part of the previous game

There is a cave entrance like just slightly down the hill from the tower, you go in there and use ascend to get into the tower. All the towers I've seen are unlockable any time but most do have some little puzzle like this

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just did that one, you gotta break a lot of rocks and then ascend at the right place

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

There is a cave entrance like just slightly down the hill from the tower, you go in there and use ascend to get into the tower. All the towers I've seen are unlockable any time but most do have some little puzzle like this

Wow I'm stupid thanks

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
How much time is supposed to have passed between the two games, anyhow?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Costco Meatballs posted:

I don't think they say, it's just loose vibes. I'd guess maybe a year between botw and the totk intro sequence, then like a few weeks between that and the the main playable part of totk

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
See i would have guessed like, 5-6 years, 5-6 days.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm very far from a botw expert, but from what I've noticed enough time passed between games for them to clean up the guardians everywhere and clean up around hyrule castle, build the new towers, and for the main bird guy's son to age noticeably, but not really anyone else. Then for the post-intro skip enough time for various investigations of the depths and the zonai stuff to get organized and somewhat underway by the time link shows up

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I think all vehicles just have a hardcoded limit of how far they can get from their spawn location. Probably most people aren't really aware of it yet but yeah I think it's going to be a hated aspect

I keep meaning to check if there's a clever way to plop out a second glider once yours is blinking, and then swapping to the new one.

Definitely seems like a design choice though, guess they don't want us cruising across empty sky all the way across the map, skipping everything they put above and below and belower.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Costco Meatballs posted:

Zelda's hair is shorter so this is actually happening before BotW.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Whatsherface is significantly older and taller so I think it’s been a few years

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Purah's age isn't a great tell because she has weird devices. Could be 10 years? Could be 5, could be 1 year and she got in the brain blaster again.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Khanstant posted:

I keep meaning to check if there's a clever way to plop out a second glider once yours is blinking, and then swapping to the new one.

Definitely seems like a design choice though, guess they don't want us cruising across empty sky all the way across the map, skipping everything they put above and below and belower.

That and I imagine they wanted to somewhat preserve the integrity of the intended "moving between chains of sky islands" paths and not just have you short circuit them with a glider from across the map.

I feel like the glider's descent is probably too generous, even with minimal stuff attached they could cover vast swaths of the map if not for the despawning

e: Purah's character entry thing says she aged herself up some with sheikah magic so yeah it doesn't help much

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 4, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I always go further than I intended but it's usually fun so I don't mind

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like people have some weird rose-tinted memory of the Great Plateau. There aren't exactly many interesting problems to solve there. Like, there's "how to get to the shrine on a mountain" and "how to deal with the cold." That's about it. What clever open-ended problem solving are people remembering exactly?

My one "gripe" about the weapon fusing in this is that it basically immediately thrusts you into later-BotW "constantly having to throw away weapons you don't want to throw away" mode. It wasn't long until all my weapons were pretty nice, because they last so much longer in this and can be replaced so frequently.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Anyone know how to get into the tower surrounded by thorns?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

One nice bit about that is if you find a good weapon in a chest, you can just choose to replace your worst weapon/shield what have you instead of closing, opening menu, dropping garbage, and then reopening chest. Dropping from the hot swap is also pretty dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

African AIDS cum posted:

Anyone know how to get into the tower surrounded by thorns?

These are fun little open ended puzzles.
find a way to shade the thorns blocking the door from the rain and then Apply Fire