Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Going through Miracle Machine. I loving hate the malfunctioning flashlight. I also direly miss my UMP .45. This Carabiner MP-155 is nice, but the UMP was so much better.

[EDIT] Its funny how short MM actually is, even if it doesn't always feel like it. Also, I always forget that Sakharov doesn't even pay you to turn off the MM...

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Going through Miracle Machine. I loving hate the malfunctioning flashlight.

I went through it last night and yeah, that got me too, especially combined with all of the bleeding effects and the drug-induced haze I ended up in. I ran out of buckshot and 9mm HP at the very end and regretted my choice of bringing an SV-98 but it all worked out. I can't imagine playing this game on ironman mode.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
If I played on ironman I would definitely have to play with the Life Granter extra life options on and I would definitely lose half of those lives navigating the fiery underpass in Wild Territory.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

You couldn't pay me enough money to play this poo poo in Ironman.

Just the whole campfire save mechanic has me jonesing after matchbooks.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

moot the hopple posted:

If I played on ironman I would definitely have to play with the Life Granter extra life options on and I would definitely lose half of those lives navigating the fiery underpass in Wild Territory.

I have a very LOVE-HATE relationship with that particular anomaly. I'm impatient and want to rush through it, and it's killed me countless times as a result...but I also love the fact that it's an anomaly you really confront on a regular basis, whereas most of the other ones are trivial to circumvent.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, that one is a pain. No matter how careful I am I have about a 50% got burned rate going through it.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Has anyone ever tried actually investigating one of these things? Does it actually lead to something, or is this just random flavortext?

Working on finishing up various jobs I've taken down south, then I'm gonna turn off the Miracle Machine and move north past the Barrier to Zaton or Jupiter. Probably start stocking up on AP ammo for what'll likely be the grueling slog of getting through turning off the Brain Scorcher.

These will spawn unique stashes, only found one of them in garbage in a stash i've never seen before and it had really good loot. There's apparently 1 per level so write the freq down but be warned you can look all over the loving map for it, i got lucky and it was by the hunter in garbage.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Arghy posted:

These will spawn unique stashes, only found one of them in garbage in a stash i've never seen before and it had really good loot. There's apparently 1 per level so write the freq down but be warned you can look all over the loving map for it, i got lucky and it was by the hunter in garbage.

Looks like I've got an adventure tomorrow then. Thanks for letting me know. IIRC I had tried to find one of these signals at some point in my old save but never found anything.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I'm looking for that Truck Cemetery Radio stash and I can't find it. I've figured out the spot where the signal is strongest but I can't find it. I see an obvious normal stash bag sitting in a broken cement pipe, but its empty and doesn't cause the signal to go away. I've crawled through the pipes here, checked inside the metal frames. From what I can tell from the signal and how it fades when moving away, its somewhere on this mound....

[edit]

From further searching in the Gamma Discord posted:

These things don't work in Gamma. In Anomaly they lead you to a stash, but in Gamma unmarked stashes are empty

Its a shash filled with nothing but LIES! :negative:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 4, 2023

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Welp that area is where i met the tiny chimera before too haha i was trying to get under the raised shovel to grab a stash and there was a loving chimera the size of a cat failing to path to me it was hilarious until it mauled my leg.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Yeesh, I see what people meant when they said the new P90 model's sights were bad. I guess this distinguishes a better use case for the MP7, though. Before, the P90 was better as your 5.7, pistol slot-equipable lead sprayer because it had the bigger mag. Now the MP7, with its slightly smaller mag but selection of mountable scopes and laser, becomes more attractive when compared to the P90 which is stuck with its integrated, early model reflex sight.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

[edit]

Its a shash filled with nothing but LIES! :negative:

[/quote]

Sonovabitch they have played me like a drat fool.

Has anyone figured out how to re-enable these?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I never got any hit squads after me, even in my old save. :(

The only hit squads I've encountered recently are for some reason Duty. I'm a loner with max Duty rep/goodwill, so instead of shooting at me they just follow me around trying to push themselves inside my player model.

moot the hopple posted:

Yeesh, I see what people meant when they said the new P90 model's sights were bad. I guess this distinguishes a better use case for the MP7, though. Before, the P90 was better as your 5.7, pistol slot-equipable lead sprayer because it had the bigger mag. Now the MP7, with its slightly smaller mag but selection of mountable scopes and laser, becomes more attractive when compared to the P90 which is stuck with its integrated, early model reflex sight.

I'm pretty sure my Gamma is up to date, and I'm able to mount a sight on my P90. The bigger mag is nice, but I mainly prefer it because it has a much better recoil control. The only downside is that with a mounted sight the P90 is almost as tall as it is long, and the running ready position covers 1/4 of the screen.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Vorenus posted:

I'm pretty sure my Gamma is up to date, and I'm able to mount a sight on my P90. The bigger mag is nice, but I mainly prefer it because it has a much better recoil control. The only downside is that with a mounted sight the P90 is almost as tall as it is long, and the running ready position covers 1/4 of the screen.

There's a new model of the P90 that has the Gunslinger animations and an integrated first gen reflex sight, yours is probably the base one already in the game. You can also tell it's new if it doesn't have parts like a trigger mechanism, barrel, etc listed on it. This was also a problem with the RAPTR, Thompson, and any of the new guns when first introduced and needing parts later hotfixed into them by Grok.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

moot the hopple posted:

You can also tell it's new if it doesn't have parts like a trigger mechanism, barrel, etc listed on it. This was also a problem with the RAPTR, Thompson, and any of the new guns when first introduced and needing parts later hotfixed into them by Grok.

Oh annoying, I haven’t found one of those yet but I always avoided the previous examples because it felt a bit like cheating to using one.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

After it took me ages to get advanced tools, I ventured up north for the first time and almost immediately found some expert tools in a stash in Radar. I feel like the RNG gods are just messing with me now.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Shut down the brain scorcher yesterday, going in completely blind, and boy did I not bring enough AP bullets.

Went on to Jupiter and Zaton, and geez, the gear you can find up here is a huge upgrade, in the tacticool sense if nothing else

I've yet to find advanced tools, but I'm pretty happy with what I've got so far, though I'd love to fix up something that shoots 7.62x51!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

Shut down the brain scorcher yesterday, going in completely blind, and boy did I not bring enough AP bullets.

Yeah the fight out of the Brain Scorcher is brutal...and the exterior is usually repopulated with more Monolith as well even though you killed them all a few in-game hours previously. I always pack a bunch of AP ammo nowadays because some of those soldiers will eat FMJs, HPs, and buckshot for breakfast.

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've yet to find advanced tools, but I'm pretty happy with what I've got so far, though I'd love to fix up something that shoots 7.62x51!

Every game I find an FAL of some sort and every game I start a new game immediately after I get it all fixed up.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

some of those soldiers will eat FMJs, HPs, and buckshot for breakfast.

I had such a great "Oh poo poo" moment clearing out the Monolith HQ(?) in Pripyat. I had poked around the edges and lured out those I could, plinking them down with 7.62 from my SCAR no problemo. Then it came time to clear the interior, so I pulled out my SR-2M and dove in. Everything was going fine, clearing doors and corners carefully, flushing with grenades where I figured I needed to. Until I came around a corner to face a fully Exo'd guy. My panicked burst hits him right in the head, but I am awarded with nothing but the sparks of ricochets and my heart drops. He's still standing there like the fuckin Terminator, his return fire fucks me up so I hastily backtrack to lick my wounds, and finish clearing the building with the rest of my grenades and point-firing my SCAR cause the scope is just too much for the CQB. That was an awesome fight.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The changes to exosuits are perhaps one of my favorite things about these mods. They really do feel like a generational leap ahead of conventional armor, an entirely new class of equipment.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Arrath posted:

I had such a great "Oh poo poo" moment clearing out the Monolith HQ(?) in Pripyat. I had poked around the edges and lured out those I could, plinking them down with 7.62 from my SCAR no problemo. Then it came time to clear the interior, so I pulled out my SR-2M and dove in. Everything was going fine, clearing doors and corners carefully, flushing with grenades where I figured I needed to. Until I came around a corner to face a fully Exo'd guy. My panicked burst hits him right in the head, but I am awarded with nothing but the sparks of ricochets and my heart drops. He's still standing there like the fuckin Terminator, his return fire fucks me up so I hastily backtrack to lick my wounds, and finish clearing the building with the rest of my grenades and point-firing my SCAR cause the scope is just too much for the CQB. That was an awesome fight.

That sounds like you might have inadvertently stumbled into the Eidolon fight, who is a unique Monolith in Pripyat with a special form of forcefield similar to the one that Sin faction members have but stronger. Rogue from Strelok's crew will start you on a questline for the gauss gun in order to take him out. Otherwise, he can tank alotttttt of bullets if you decide to fight him with conventional weapons.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

bees everywhere posted:

After it took me ages to get advanced tools, I ventured up north for the first time and almost immediately found some expert tools in a stash in Radar. I feel like the RNG gods are just messing with me now.

I hate you! Look at these stats!!

I'm ranked 67th in The Zone!!! I've collected dozens upon dozens of white and green stashes in every area north of Radar including the NPP South and North and I still don't have expert tools!!!!

gently caress!!!!!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

That sounds like you might have inadvertently stumbled into the Eidolon fight, who is a unique Monolith in Pripyat with a special form of forcefield similar to the one that Sin faction members have but stronger. Rogue from Strelok's crew will start you on a questline for the gauss gun in order to take him out. Otherwise, he can tank alotttttt of bullets if you decide to fight him with conventional weapons.

Maybe, but it was definitely sparking off of his armor, not the forcefield kind of effect when you shoot SIN dudes.

If it was, hopefully I didn't screw up the quest by running into him out of sequence lol

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'm sitting on a lot of 556 ammo and while I could break it down and convert it to 545, that feels wasteful on the returns, so I should probably fix up a NATO rifle to start using it (rather low on 5.45 right now). Not sure what to fix up though. Any suggestions?

Main ones I got reviewing my stash are Sig 550s (Arrow, customer, and the 552 carbine), A couple of G36s (short and long, I'm kinda ehhh on these though), an M4A1 Butcher, and an AK5-C.

Leaning towards the Butcher or one of the long 550s, probably Customer for the laser. OTOH, the AK5-C has a LOT of recoil control even before upgrade mods...

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I was using the new Sig 550 (custom) for a while as my 5.56 gun. I picked the custom over the Arrow precisely for the laser unit. It was essentially like an M4 Tactical or any of the myriad of other laser accurate, low recoil NATO guns that can mount scopes and underslung grenade launchers. It didn't feel like it performed any better or worse than other guns of its ilk. I know that's damning with faint praise but I'm personally a little bored of the tacticool weapons and have been leaning towards the more thumpy and dakka guns this playthrough. I'll still bust out my Sig 550 custom when I want to go tryhard mode and just drop things with cold, Swiss efficiency.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Namnesor posted:

I hate you! Look at these stats!!

I'm ranked 67th in The Zone!!! I've collected dozens upon dozens of white and green stashes in every area north of Radar including the NPP South and North and I still don't have expert tools!!!!

gently caress!!!!!

I wish there were a backup for having poo poo luck with tools. I had half a million rubles by the time I found my first set. For gently caress's sake I'd have spent it all on some tools, surely the money could get me something? No, no it just turns out that literally nobody in the zone has or is willing to import those tools and you're unable to make them, the only way to get them is to wait until some loser gives me stash coordinates because I gave him a vial of powdered boar penis.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm not at the point yet where I'm worrying much about expert tools but it's weird that there isn't a fallback option like there is with combining 5 basic tools into 1 advanced tools.

On another note, sometimes quest rewards are really out of touch with how the game has come. Got a fireball for barkeep for which I had to use the artifact machine to fuse a whole bunch of lesser artifacts and for my trouble I got... 1800 rubles. lol

I accepted similar quests from Sakharov and the clear sky doctor for similarly high-tier artifacts and I'm curious to find out if this genre of quest is just obsolete.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

I'm not at the point yet where I'm worrying much about expert tools but it's weird that there isn't a fallback option like there is with combining 5 basic tools into 1 advanced tools.

On another note, sometimes quest rewards are really out of touch with how the game has come. Got a fireball for barkeep for which I had to use the artifact machine to fuse a whole bunch of lesser artifacts and for my trouble I got... 1800 rubles. lol

I accepted similar quests from Sakharov and the clear sky doctor for similarly high-tier artifacts and I'm curious to find out if this genre of quest is just obsolete.

Yeah, don't bother doing those. The payout is determined by the condition of the artifact, so getting an actual good payout is not worth it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

aniviron posted:

I wish there were a backup for having poo poo luck with tools. I had half a million rubles by the time I found my first set. For gently caress's sake I'd have spent it all on some tools, surely the money could get me something? No, no it just turns out that literally nobody in the zone has or is willing to import those tools and you're unable to make them, the only way to get them is to wait until some loser gives me stash coordinates because I gave him a vial of powdered boar penis.

I'm of two minds about this. Grok has stated that he doesn't want any necessarily-guaranteed path to powerand--as someone in CoP would instantly beeline for the Burnt Farmstead in Zaton to get an AS-Val within minutes of starting the game--I agree with that, but at the same time anything would be better than the mid-tier purgatory I've lived in this past virtual Zone month.

Gobblecoque posted:

The reward scales with the quality of the artefact and the... er... quality of the artefact. I've had a max-quality but not really good per se artefact net me 35k, but at the same time a really good max-quality artefact can be worth upwards of 150k.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

There are ways of getting higher tier gear without tools, by using the repair services and finding the right cleaning kits. Its just difficult, expensive, and you can't do upgrades.

[edit] I fixed up a RAPTR tonight and after all the hype, I gotta admit, I'm kinda disappointed? The full auto and magazine size are great, but each individual shot feels a lot less tight and lethal than the Carabiner MP-155 I had been using. I'm routinely having to use two or even three shots to kill things that the Carabiner would drop in one. Maybe I should try fixing up a KS-23 instead.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 6, 2023

manero
Jan 30, 2006

There is a new (and very short) video from GSC for STALKER 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1WwjxEXiLU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There are ways of getting higher tier gear without tools, by using the repair services and finding the right cleaning kits. Its just difficult, expensive, and you can't do upgrades.

[edit] I fixed up a RAPTR tonight and after all the hype, I gotta admit, I'm kinda disappointed? The full auto and magazine size are great, but each individual shot feels a lot less tight and lethal than the Carabiner MP-155 I had been using. I'm routinely having to use two or even three shots to kill things that the Carabiner would drop in one. Maybe I should try fixing up a KS-23 instead.

I gave a RAPTR to Hip and let her watch my back, seems to work pretty well.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

manero posted:

There is a new (and very short) video from GSC for STALKER 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1WwjxEXiLU

That looks nice

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Missed a real marketing opportunity not making it a BAWLS energy drink.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Clearly I rarely use an underbarrel grenade launcher because, now that I have one equipped, I'm trying to figure out how I can quickly switch between my primary sight and canted sight (by default, tapping the "V" key) without also cycling through the grenade launcher's leaf sights. As it stands, I can press "V" to quickly switch to my canted sights, but tapping "V" a second time goes through the time-consuming process of popping up leaf sights, and then hitting it a third time causes me to put the leaf sights away and finally swap back to the primary sight.

I'm going assume that's just the way it is if you want to have both a dual-sight and a grenade launcher?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Clearly I rarely use an underbarrel grenade launcher because, now that I have one equipped, I'm trying to figure out how I can quickly switch between my primary sight and canted sight (by default, tapping the "V" key) without also cycling through the grenade launcher's leaf sights. As it stands, I can press "V" to quickly switch to my canted sights, but tapping "V" a second time goes through the time-consuming process of popping up leaf sights, and then hitting it a third time causes me to put the leaf sights away and finally swap back to the primary sight.

I'm going assume that's just the way it is if you want to have both a dual-sight and a grenade launcher?

Yeah, afaik.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Just ran into a nasty bug with artifact crafting. I had crafted up a Volat Emerald at about ~90ish condition but when I would save and load my game or transition to a new map, it would suddenly drop to about ~15 condition, as if I had not empowered it at all. After a lot of trial and error, I reloaded a save before crafting it and did the following: I remade the Volat Emerald all over again and back to its original condition, left it in my inventory as opposed to equipping it on my belt, and made another save. This time, the condition did not drop upon reloading that save or entering a new map. I then equipped the Volat Emerald to my first belt slot (the previous time I equipped it to the last slot) and it appears to be working as normal now without any further condition drop.

Not sure if those steps specifically is what fixed it but it's what seemed to work for me if anyone else happens to encounter it :shrug:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm glad you made this post because now I finally know how to use those sights lol.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wow, why didn't anyone tell me the SR-2M could be put in the melee/vision slots?

This thing is a lovely SMG for anti-stalker work. Currently experimenting with weapons and pairing it with an SVU for long distance fighting, with, ofc, a shotgun for anti-mutant (The RAPTR was much improved by grabbing the Tier 3 accuracy mod, which tightened up its spread quite nicely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wow, why didn't anyone tell me the SR-2M could be put in the melee/vision slots?

This thing is a lovely SMG for anti-stalker work. Currently experimenting with weapons and pairing it with an SVU for long distance fighting, with, ofc, a shotgun for anti-mutant (The RAPTR was much improved by grabbing the Tier 3 accuracy mod, which tightened up its spread quite nicely).

Arrath posted:

Don't sleep on the SR-2. Like the 5.7mm guns its decently armor piercing (it'll fail against exos but, well, most things will) and fits in the vison slot like a pistol or the P90. It's become my chief CQB weapon.

I think my ideal loadout has coalesced around an SR-2 in vision, then a .45 SMG (Tommygun, UMP, Vector in least to most preferable) in primary weapon slot 1, and then any 7.62 NATO rifle in my second primary slot.

45 Hydrashock is just outrageously effective against anything not armored. The Vector's sheer rate of fire allows me to hose down a Chimera in an instant.

:colbert: