Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
if you encounter a person who is violently yelling is it right to non-violently just murder them on the spot? only a new yorker is really qualified to have an opinion about this the rest of you really need to take a seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I've been riding the bus and train for over a decade and the worst thing that a homeless person has done to me is piss on my shoes. somehow I survived this

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Mentally ill people make me personally uncomfortable and therefore their public murder is justified, and to say otherwise is misogynistic and orientalism

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ikanreed posted:

people make me personally uncomfortable and therefore their public murder is justified, and to say otherwise is misogynistic and orientalism

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the most dangerous people on public transportation are upper managers who couldn't get an uber to the airport on time. one literally tried to slap me once, lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

the most dangerous people on public transportation are upper managers who couldn't get an uber to the airport on time

it's all the cops who wander in with one hand on their holster and the other w/ a phone

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

anyone who is disused to their privilege not allowing them to control their environment is the biggest threat on the train, and that's never the homeless

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I've had multiple encounters with people who think taking the bus is their version of driving ms. Daisy, lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
TBH I would feel less safe sitting next to the subway strangler. he has a taste for it now. what if he kills again?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

In Training posted:

it's all the cops who wander in with one hand on their holster and the other w/ a phone

It's loving alarming how often you'll see cops just resting their hands on their pistols. It's bonkers

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

literally every time I ever see a cop interacting with a person in any context their hand is on their gun

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean, I guess if you're a little flexible with the definition of who is human and who isn't, then whether it was a homicide is debatable :shrug:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1654169245775691792

e: Associated Press deleted this due to excessive bullying from left wing trolls :bahgawd:

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 22:38 on May 4, 2023

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I suspect the vast majority of people taking the NYC subway are probably fairly wealthy on average, given they can afford to live within NYC itself.

My understanding is that most of the working class of NYC drives into the city from Jersey in the morning and drives back at night, because real estate in the city itself is unaffordable.

I don't live there though so someone else can confirm or deny

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

there's 8.5 million people living in NYC and I'm pretty sure most of them are not wealthy by any metric you could come up with

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Flesh Forge posted:

there's 8.5 million people living in NYC and I'm pretty sure most of them are not wealthy by any metric you could come up with

I can come up with some pretty unfair metrics if I try

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

drat horror queefs posted:

I suspect the vast majority of people taking the NYC subway are probably fairly wealthy on average, given they can afford to live within NYC itself.

the hot takes are coming from inside the thread

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Per the census bureau:

The median income in New York is $54,000, which means if you earn more than that you're earning more than 50% of the people living in New York. The average salary in New York is $64,741.

E: thats NYC metro region not NY state

Area Median Income (AMI)
The AMI for all cities across the country is defined each year by U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The 2022 AMI for the New York City region is $120,100 for a three-person family (100% AMI).

projecthalaxy has issued a correction as of 21:17 on May 4, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

I can come up with some pretty unfair metrics if I try

lol ok I should have qualified that with "reasonable"

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

Per the census bureau:

The median income in New York is $54,000, which means if you earn more than that you're earning more than 50% of the people living in New York. The average salary in New York is $64,741.

E: thats NYC metro region not NY state

Area Median Income (AMI)
The AMI for all cities across the country is defined each year by U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The 2022 AMI for the New York City region is $120,100 for a three-person family (100% AMI).

I don’t have any numbers to add but NYC metro area does include all the commuter communities in NJ and the suburban counties outside NYC like westchester and rockland and etc

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

New York family income (HUD): $120,100
USA family income (UN): $70,784
Burundi family income (UN): $1,600, lowest UN family income

Its been a while since I've looked up these figs. Pretty insane.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

projecthalaxy posted:

New York family income (HUD): $120,100
USA family income (UN): $70,784
Burundi family income (UN): $1,600, lowest UN family income

Its been a while since I've looked up these figs. Pretty insane.

Yeah but the rent in Burundi is insanely good

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The Burundian real estate site I was able to find has a few options, several 3-4 bedroom houses in the capital for $500 a month including yards and a detached garage, with the biggest thing being a 12 bed, 8 bath 4 story house on a closed 50 hectare estate with 6 car garage being $360,000 to buy

E: couldn't find online listings for Somalia, next is Lesotho where you can get full (sheet metal) houses for $10k own or rent an apartment for $200

projecthalaxy has issued a correction as of 21:56 on May 4, 2023

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

wealthy people are famous for preferring public transportation

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

projecthalaxy posted:

The Burundian real estate site I was able to find has a few options, several 3-4 bedroom houses in the capital for $500 a month including yards and a detached garage, with the biggest thing being a 12 bed, 8 bath 4 story house on a closed 50 hectare estate with 6 car garage being $360,000 to buy

E: couldn't find online listings for Somalia, next is Lesotho where you can get full (sheet metal) houses for $10k own or rent an apartment for $200

drat, my 3b1.5br with a tiny yard costs like 1.5x that. Brb moving to Burundi.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The cheapest I could find in the Americas is the Dominican Republic, where ypu can buy a few different condos/flats for 20,000 USD, and in the EU it's apparently Serbia, where a flat is about 50,000 USD.

Obviously the cheapest options in these places are probably not listed online, but it was vaguely interesting to look up.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

projecthalaxy posted:

The cheapest I could find in the Americas is the Dominican Republic, where ypu can buy a few different condos/flats for 20,000 USD, and in the EU it's apparently Serbia, where a flat is about 50,000 USD.

Obviously the cheapest options in these places are probably not listed online, but it was vaguely interesting to look up.

Probably some nice parts of Serbia.

D/R is a no-go because I used to know a lot of guys who went there to "party hard" and I never want to meet those kind of guys again in my life.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/oregonmapguy/status/1653418173973118977?s=46&t=z-BpKV_zuayDXrjUW20mQw

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Flesh Forge posted:

This thread is not designed for you to post your own hot takes.

According to recent U.S. Census data, New York's median household wealth was $144,500.

The global median wealth per capita is just $8,360.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would also like to point out that even if one were living outside of New York, but worked inside it, it's still common practice to use public transportation, either as the entire commute, or after parking one's car on the outskirts of the city, to be picked up later on one's way home

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
For reference, my paycheck when I worked in a shoe factory was a minimum wage 12$ a day (technically less because they did some numbers fuckery regarding working saturdays), so calibrate property values here off of that.

e: The incident in the train is literally a textbook lynching. The noose was made of muscle instead of rope, but that's about it.

e2: Also, the property values here have been skyrocketing ever since the war in Ukraine started. The first wave of Russians (majority) and Ukrainians (still quite a few) moving here were the wealthy ones who wanted to avoid having any feathers ruffled and bought up all the downtown stuff. The waves quickly dropped in wealth, and now you generally start hearing a lot of Russian/Ukrainian from grocery store clerks etc, lots of desperate people looking for whatever work they can find.

my dad has issued a correction as of 09:56 on May 5, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

I mean, I guess if you're a little flexible with the definition of who is human and who isn't, then whether it was a homicide is debatable :shrug:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1654169245775691792

e: Associated Press deleted this due to excessive bullying from left wing trolls :bahgawd:

Defence against disorder is a s tier hardcore band name

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

My understanding is that most of the working class of NYC drives into the city from Jersey in the morning and drives back at night, because real estate in the city itself is unaffordable.

2.4 million New Yorkers use the subway everyday. Everyone uses it and the only people who don't can afford to buy and park their cars which is way more rare.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

my dad posted:

For reference, my paycheck when I worked in a shoe factory was a minimum wage 12$ a day (technically less because they did some numbers fuckery regarding working saturdays), so calibrate property values here off of that.

Dang that Guestworker song you shared hits stronger after this.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

wish i had read this before i let that guy on my train drive it into the world trade center

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Hot take: it's bad to murder the homeless

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

Hot take: it's bad to murder the homeless

"We don't want to murder the homeless. We just want them to go away. Presumably to die in a ditch. Which isn't technically murder."

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

"We don't want to murder the homeless. We just want them to go away. Presumably to die in a ditch. Which isn't technically murder."

I’m not sure how closely you’ve been following things but “die in a ditch” has made all the affluent libs uncomfortable because they sometimes drive by said ditch

The new hotness is internment camps

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I’m not sure how closely you’ve been following things but “die in a ditch” has made all the affluent libs uncomfortable because they sometimes drive by said ditch

The new hotness is internment camps

"Well not a ditch in MY town. Obviously."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gonna be honest with you chief when people ask "where can you find rich people?" I generally don't think "the subway"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Batman and his parents took the subway and look where it got them