Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Admiral Joeslop posted:

On my fourth week of being a soda merchandiser.

Got a text this morning that a localish chain grocery (Houchens, and all the differently named but still Houchens-owned stores) has decided that vendors are not allowed to have headphones or cellphones. At all.

Nevermind that I don't work for them and making me leave my phone in my car is stupid, we also use our work phones to get info about the store, deliveries, and to take pictures of our sections.

Houchens is by far the worst ran small chain I've ever dealt with in 20~ years of retail work.

I’m curious, how is it that your response to that is ‘gently caress you I don’t work for you?’. And why isn’t your employer putting their foot down? If you’re using your phone for work functions they should be saying ‘you guys don’t get to decide whether our staff have phones or not; if you don’t like it enjoy not having soda to sell’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

working at 5am continues to suck and one of my neighbors has taken to letting their little 4 year old demon child out at 10pm so he can run around screaming outside my bedroom window until he gets tired enough to put to bed.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m curious, how is it that your response to that is ‘gently caress you I don’t work for you?’. And why isn’t your employer putting their foot down? If you’re using your phone for work functions they should be saying ‘you guys don’t get to decide whether our staff have phones or not; if you don’t like it enjoy not having soda to sell’.

:shrug:

They're probably just used to saying "Sure thing Houchens we'll do this." Then going back to the way it was after a few weeks because Houchens is poorly run and won't notice.

I'm certainly not leaving either of my phones in my car so we'll see if anyone even cares.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I mean surely if you get told to get rid of the phone by a manager you just stare them down and say you need the phone to do your job.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Rainbow Knight posted:

working at 5am continues to suck and one of my neighbors has taken to letting their little 4 year old demon child out at 10pm so he can run around screaming outside my bedroom window until he gets tired enough to put to bed.

Ear plugs usually work me. I just max the volume on my alarm to make sure I hear it. It’s really one of the best times to work in retail. Not much traffic on the way to work, not much more on the way home. Depending on the store it won’t start getting busy until 8-9 o’clock or later.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
At this point my sleeping set up is:

Ear plugs in
One ear in the pillow
Folded up hoodie laying over my other ear (as a bonus I can use the sleeve as a blindfold)
Turned on fan laying on top of the hoodie

Not only do I not hear anything, but the fan vibrating my head also cancels out the vibrations of all my drat roommates stomping all over the loving house.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
COVID lockdown taught me to sleep through everything.

During the first UK lockdown, every Thursday they would have the 8pm "clap for the NHS" thing. My neighbours took this as a sign to have a loud party every Thursday night basically underneath my window. It was too warm to keep all the windows closed (no air con) and I had to be in work for 4am. I just learnt to sleep through it.

Now I can just turn over in my bed, stick my head in the pillow and be asleep within about 10 minutes regardless of time of day or temperature.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:shepicide:

This different chain has also decided that there will be NO skids on the floor after 11am.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I mean, I get the no headphones thing, it’s a potential safety issue. But no phones? That’s just loving stupid.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Coasterphreak posted:

I mean, I get the no headphones thing, it’s a potential safety issue. But no phones? That’s just loving stupid.

Gotta make sure even the people that don't work there are miserable

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Coasterphreak posted:

I work as a delivery driver and we have a camera inside our vans that record everything we do. Now a few drivers are lucky and that their cameras have broken and management hasn't gotten around to getting them repaired. But one of the really big things they harp on it's absolutely no headsets of any kind. So of course what do I see my boss do yesterday when he's leaving after my ride along check ride? He pops an earbud in one ear and drives off; so either he's listening to music which is a no no with a headset, or he's on a conference call which is also a huge No-No because you're not supposed to be using your phone when you're driving. I'm imagining the van he is in doesn't have a working camera.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
So its a system where you're rewarded for breaking your camera without being caught.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Finally made it to my only Houchens today and immediately walked by an employee with ear buds in, to highlight how serious they are about their proclamations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Now I feel fortunate that everywhere I’ve worked for the last ~5 years has had sane phone policies.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Same store is currently running a combustion engine powered floor buffer around the aisles, at 5:30. Everything smells like fumes and the sound drowns out everything.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Same store is currently running a combustion engine powered floor buffer around the aisles, at 5:30. Everything smells like fumes and the sound drowns out everything.

Please tell me it’s 5:30 am in your timezone and not PM with the store full of customers because if it’s the latter then I’m afraid that place is irredeemably hosed.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
This week shipping "forgot" to receive a customer's shipment for an entire week, making it very embarrassing when I called the supplier to ask where the shipment was at and got told it was delivered and signed for a loving week ago.

If this keeps up I am going to bring a bag of human poo poo to work and start throwing it at people.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Please tell me it’s 5:30 am in your timezone and not PM with the store full of customers because if it’s the latter then I’m afraid that place is irredeemably hosed.

Lol no it was 5:30 pm and it went on for over an hour, at a store that closes at 9pm.

Another chain today just told me that starting Monday all vendors must clock in on the kiosk. Alright, sure, Target does that, it's fine.

He also told me the company will charge the person $100 every time they don't do it, which is a big loving laugh. I assume they mean charge the company but when I asked that, he wasn't sure.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 6, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Another chain today just told me that starting Monday all vendors must clock in on the kiosk. Alright, sure, Target does that, it's fine.

Why do they give a poo poo? Is it ensuring you got there on schedule?

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Midjack posted:

probably trying to keep track of the plainclothes randos walking around in The Back

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Midjack posted:

cephalopods posted:

probably trying to keep track of the plainclothes randos walking around in The Back

It's this. I'm assuming it stemmed from the recent corporate visit, they're the same ones that came down from on high and demanded the "No Pallets on the floor after 11 am" rule be enforced at all times when the stores here have ignored it for years.

We're a few hours from their headquarters but they still got a real big market share and a big ego to go with it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
So, I made it through the first job interview pretty unscathed, and they invited me back for a training session to see if I could understand their design programs.

I just got out of that with them apparently feeling satisfied I could grok their systems, they're not too bad.

I'm now being invited back for a second training session and no contract yet... I'm feeling that if I still do well after the second voluntary training session, I'm within my rights to ask for a contract rather than spending more of my free time on these guys for no pay. Does that seem like an insane perspective?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The Flow PA* and me taught one of the new PA's one of the most important lessons tonight: Amazon hires Bloody Stupid Johnson to design its FCs. Congratulating on climbing the ladder and clearing the conveyor jam: the reset button is back down the ladder and 50 feet away. It's the reset button for like 20 lines coming off the sorter. No they couldn't put a reset button on each line where it would be convenient.

I then taught both of them the lesson of the electrical tape: One of the maintenance guys got so pissed at this fact that he went down the entire router one shift and put a little strip of electrical tape on the railing next to each sorter divert that actually has a jam button up there on it. So you know weather or not you have to climb back down to hit the button to see if you cleared the issue. Yeah you two basically make a dollar more than me, but you don't know all the deep, dark secrets.

*Assistant Manager. Basically paid an extra dollar or so to be run ragged.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PurpleXVI posted:

So, I made it through the first job interview pretty unscathed, and they invited me back for a training session to see if I could understand their design programs.

I just got out of that with them apparently feeling satisfied I could grok their systems, they're not too bad.

I'm now being invited back for a second training session and no contract yet... I'm feeling that if I still do well after the second voluntary training session, I'm within my rights to ask for a contract rather than spending more of my free time on these guys for no pay. Does that seem like an insane perspective?

You should be paid for training. Are they couching it as some kind of interview? You can work without a specific contract.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Volmarias posted:

You should be paid for training. Are they couching it as some kind of interview? You can work without a specific contract.

Part of the problem is that they aren't "couching" it as anything and are instead being vague as gently caress. And I'm unclear whether it's deceptive evasiveness or whether they're just inexperienced with hiring procedures because they're a smaller business. I think that ot them the whole thing is a sort of "try before you buy"-situation where they want to make sure I'm not a total incompetent rather than having to fire me a couple of months into my employment after taking a chance and spending time on me.

And sure, you can work without a contract, but A) I'm not working unless I'm being paid and B) I'm not trusting any business to pay me unless I have a signed and legally enforcible document stating that they're going to do so and how much.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PurpleXVI posted:

Part of the problem is that they aren't "couching" it as anything and are instead being vague as gently caress. And I'm unclear whether it's deceptive evasiveness or whether they're just inexperienced with hiring procedures because they're a smaller business. I think that ot them the whole thing is a sort of "try before you buy"-situation where they want to make sure I'm not a total incompetent rather than having to fire me a couple of months into my employment after taking a chance and spending time on me.

And sure, you can work without a contract, but A) I'm not working unless I'm being paid and B) I'm not trusting any business to pay me unless I have a signed and legally enforcible document stating that they're going to do so and how much.

I completely understand and agree, and if it's specifically a training program I think you're very much in the right in both asking for clarity and in requesting payment.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

lol at a company who's that exploitative from the word "go"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, I'm done with them from today onwards where they revealed that they expected me to show up for more unpaid training sessions with maybe an employment contract in the future and oh, my "training" session for today happened to be helping them design something for their showroom. Something that, suspiciously, they would perhaps be doing themselves if I didn't do it for them.

So yeah, I'm done. Though on the bright side what I got in some experience with is what's pretty much the default design program for interior designers, kitchen designers, bathroom designers, etc. in Denmark so at least that broadens my CV slightly. :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, I'm done with them from today onwards where they revealed that they expected me to show up for more unpaid training sessions with maybe an employment contract in the future and oh, my "training" session for today happened to be helping them design something for their showroom. Something that, suspiciously, they would perhaps be doing themselves if I didn't do it for them.

So yeah, I'm done. Though on the bright side what I got in some experience with is what's pretty much the default design program for interior designers, kitchen designers, bathroom designers, etc. in Denmark so at least that broadens my CV slightly. :v:

Biggest and reddest flag in the world right there, good job on getting out.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Must've been terrifying for her to lose control like that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

...I kept reading that as:

"Lady Ran,

Into with motor cart, knocked over display."

Which made me wonder what sort of workplace formality had someone getting addressed as "Lady."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else constantly amazed how your company can be bleeding money non-stop but refuses to make a few simple changes, only to come up with the most stupid and condescending emails about how we're all a team and we're family and changes for the future and all I can do is sit here and think you know about this time I would love a zombie apocalypse or some kind of super flu like from the Stephen King book, because one of the first places I would go would be to the mansions of the CEOs and stockholders and see how quickly they could outrun my pet zombies.

We must embrace change, we must embrace change, congratulations on 50 years of excellent work, by the way a lot of you are going to be losing your benefits and we're hoping most of you quit before we have to offer severance!

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyone else constantly amazed how your company can be bleeding money non-stop but refuses to make a few simple changes, only to come up with the most stupid and condescending emails about how we're all a team and we're family and changes for the future and all I can do is sit here and think you know about this time I would love a zombie apocalypse or some kind of super flu like from the Stephen King book, because one of the first places I would go would be to the mansions of the CEOs and stockholders and see how quickly they could outrun my pet zombies.

We must embrace change, we must embrace change, congratulations on 50 years of excellent work, by the way a lot of you are going to be losing your benefits and we're hoping most of you quit before we have to offer severance!

Do we work for the same company?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Uuuugh, our rear end. manager scheduled me for Wednesday when I don't work that day (it's literally in our system that I am unavailable that day) and I don't know how she managed to override the system (last time she tried, our scheduling system gave her an error) but how justified am I in just not showing up Wednesday?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
"How justified" isn't really a relative or useful question, it's just can you get away with it.

It's actually a critical decision point--if you let them get away with it one time, they will never again respect your unavailability or care. You should tell them immediately "as you know, I'm not available Wednesdays, I cannot work this shift and will not be there". By text or email, so it's in writing that you told them in advance. Don't just no-show.

But even with that you have to be ok with the possibility they pretend you no-showed and fire you. If your store is like 98% of stores right now (i.e. desperately understaffed and the rear end man or possibly even store manager would have to work your shifts, which is probably the immediate reason they're trying to make you work this Wednesday) they probably wouldn't dare though.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I've had managers do that to me before as well. I'll either message them or give the store a courtesy call not to expect me but if I say I'm unavailable that's not changing.

Had one jackass ignore me and ended up a service supervisor down for 8 hours because of it.

They'll get over it if they're not a complete rear end in a top hat about it (this is the real question). Just remember retail loving sucks and there's plenty of companies desperate to hire if they try to gently caress you.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I make a point whenever I book days off that if you schedule me I probably wouldn’t be able to come in even if you wanted me to.

Got messaged on Facebook by a manager one time asking why I was late when I wasn’t even in the country.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It's not a planned day off; it's a day I am literally unavailable to work. My availability for this day (and all Wednesdays since 2021) is zero.
I think the part I'm most pissed off about is that she didn't even ask me; she just stuck me on the schedule. (I talked to the store manager about and she said she would fix it but she's now on vacation this week and I guess didn't manage to fix it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

dovetaile posted:

(I talked to the store manager about and she said she would fix it
Did you get this in writing?