Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Speaking of Instagram golf girls, I got invited to play in George Lopez's annual charity tournament yesterday. Lots of actual celebrities were there, but since this is the golf thread, have a pic of me post-round with Tisha Alyn. Super nice - really solid golf game.

We ended up shooting -14 totally legit - our celeb was Richard Schiff, who I'm sure golf thread superstar Josh Lyman is familiar with - and I figured we had no chance of winning, but we ended up coming in 3rd, which was good for a ridiculous prize haul that included a $500 Bettinardi putter, new Bushnell range finder, and this hilarious looking guitar.

This was definitely the most over-the-top charity tournament I've played in as far as all of the food and swag they gave out with all of the famous people there. I left with 4 full bottles of booze, a ton of weed, and a new pair of shoes. Golf is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Wow that is awesome and a hilarious prize, congrats!

My first league night is supposed to be tomorrow and they are calling for snow showers in the morning, changing to rain, with a high of like 45 degrees. 90% chance the league cancels but not until everyone is already at the course to keep the bar happy.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 3, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That's awesome and a...weirdly hilarious prize. I'll never be good enough at golf to play in one of those tournaments so I'm living vicariously through you on this one.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm hoping to get an invite to the yearly tournament our hospitals foundation puts on every year. It's a 2 day event and they usually have Nike or Under Armor come out and setup a small shop where you basically get to go through the shop and pick out some swag, last year it was 2 polos/pullover/2 hats. I don't remember exactly what the prizes were but it's a pretty competitive tournament since usually the invites go out to all the doctors they want to keep happy. I've become pretty close friends with our CFO who is always invited so I'm hoping to tag along with him this year lol.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Kirios posted:

That's awesome and a...weirdly hilarious prize. I'll never be good enough at golf to play in one of those tournaments so I'm living vicariously through you on this one.

Being good only gets you invited to play in them from the rich dudes that suck at golf but want to have their team do well. Otherwise all it takes to play in them is being willing to pay for the spot. The guy who sponsored our team was probably a 20 handicap, if I'm being generous.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

BCRock posted:

Being good only gets you invited to play in them from the rich dudes that suck at golf but want to have their team do well. Otherwise all it takes to play in them is being willing to pay for the spot. The guy who sponsored our team was probably a 20 handicap, if I'm being generous.

How much was the sponsorship?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I didn't ask, but my guess is he put up somewhere in the neighborhood of $20k, but that gets him the foursome, his company on a hole sign and all of the press materials, etc. Just a foursome for something like that probably ran about $10k. I'm sure a few of the top tier title sponsors paid more like $50k+ for their participation.

The more standard ones that my company will pay to play in one or two of every year run more like $1k - $2k for a foursome, which will be at some country club a level or two lower in fanciness, no celebrities (or maybe one or two who are connected with whatever the charity is), and way less excessive food/booze/swag throughout the day.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

BCRock posted:

I didn't ask, but my guess is he put up somewhere in the neighborhood of $20k, but that gets him the foursome, his company on a hole sign and all of the press materials, etc. Just a foursome for something like that probably ran about $10k. I'm sure a few of the top tier title sponsors paid more like $50k+ for their participation.

The more standard ones that my company will pay to play in one or two of every year run more like $1k - $2k for a foursome, which will be at some country club a level or two lower in fanciness, no celebrities (or maybe one or two who are connected with whatever the charity is), and way less excessive food/booze/swag throughout the day.

They also get to expense that out, win-win

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Exactly. Business/marketing expense + write off since it's technically a donation to charity and you get to play golf.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Every part of my game is clicking right now except irons and putting. I have a hell of a stroke, but these greens are ridiculously tricky. I just ordered the irons I've always wanted since I was a kid. Copper Beryllum Ping Eye 2's with stock stiff steel shafts and good old fashioned Crossline grips.

Red dots standard length. I'm loving stoked. I could get $500 for my apexes, but may be able to private sale for 1k...maybe? Not sure what to do there, but I'm loving PUMPED about those babies.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

Every part of my game is clicking right now except irons and putting. I have a hell of a stroke, but these greens are ridiculously tricky. I just ordered the irons I've always wanted since I was a kid. Copper Beryllum Ping Eye 2's with stock stiff steel shafts and good old fashioned Crossline grips.

Red dots standard length. I'm loving stoked. I could get $500 for my apexes, but may be able to private sale for 1k...maybe? Not sure what to do there, but I'm loving PUMPED about those babies.

that was my dream set as a kid too!

i'm loving the wells fargo, quail hollow seems like such a cool course

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 4, 2023

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Tired - Finishing 3rd (T2, lost in a scorecard playoff) to a team in a charity scramble who finished 45 minutes(!) later than the next slowest group.

Wired - Winning Long Drive because the organizers pulled the Closest to the Pin and Long Drive markers before the winning group went through the long drive hole, their last hole.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Hi-five fellow 3rd place charity tournament buddy!

Congrats on the long drive. No idea if my distance would have won mine (it was past the marker at the time, but only half the teams had been through the hole by then), but I missed the fairway so I didn't get to find out.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Look at this big dumb nerdy thing I did today:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My box of KSig V3 balls showed up yesterday. Visually they have the same color, dimple pattern, etc. as V2 so it’ll be interesting to see how different they are. Some initial reports are firmer, higher launch, and lower spin but I haven’t seen any full blown reviews.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

My box of KSig V3 balls showed up yesterday. Visually they have the same color, dimple pattern, etc. as V2 so it’ll be interesting to see how different they are. Some initial reports are firmer, higher launch, and lower spin but I haven’t seen any full blown reviews.

I'm hitting a PXG extreme today for the round. One prov1x, for even number holes, the PXG for odd.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I'm really excited with ADD right now so please give me a little rope ;). that being said.

NEW(to me) IRONS DAY!!!! When I first learned to play at the age of 18, I had a rich friend who was as crazy as the day is long, but on a similar wavelength to my crazy. He was too wildly unstable for most, but I could always recognize the pattern. He had a set of Beryllium Copper Ping Eye 2's. Dude had a tour level swing, but was so unstable I think he's in jail now. Me, working odd jobs for my dad at the time, wouldn't have ever dreamed of having a set of those. Fed-Ex showed up this morning with my childhood dream irons.

These babies are SWEET! Wanted to get that out y'all. Turned a big corner mentally and sometimes I come across as a 40+ year old ADHD kid....because I am. Gonna go break these babies in. They are in GREAT shape.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

I'm very interested in a ball with these characteristics. The V2 is an excellent bargain for ANY golfer, and it should be the ball that any budget-conscious person plays if distance and sidespin aren't a concern. There is one course in my area where I play v2s because driver is usually too much club and the greens require high spin to hold, but for most other tracks, I want a ball that performs better, especially in the wind.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Kirios posted:

Look at this big dumb nerdy thing I did today:

Don't think I posted mine yet. I started by buying a cheap R10 and thought I would just get a net. But then I found a killer deal on a uneekor QED and 3-4 weeks later I had this:

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

gvibes posted:

Don't think I posted mine yet. I started by buying a cheap R10 and thought I would just get a net. But then I found a killer deal on a uneekor QED and 3-4 weeks later I had this:

Very jealous.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kameh posted:

I'm very interested in a ball with these characteristics. The V2 is an excellent bargain for ANY golfer, and it should be the ball that any budget-conscious person plays if distance and sidespin aren't a concern. There is one course in my area where I play v2s because driver is usually too much club and the greens require high spin to hold, but for most other tracks, I want a ball that performs better, especially in the wind.

My first set of "real clubs" was ping eye2, black dot. Still have them as my third set. The W in that set stayed with me until it was illegal.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm in a weird spot with my game right now where I'm actually playing pretty well except like one out of every 5 shots is super thick. Like 1 or 2 inches behind the ball and I already swing pretty steep so it's a huge divot and the ball goes maybe 30 yards. When I do make proper contact my short irons are pretty good, and I've made a couple birdies in the last two rounds which is unheard of for me.

But it's been so bad that in the last round I was getting some right hand wrist pain. I feel like I need to work on this only for a while.

Unfortunately I can only practice off range mats which hide fat shots. There are various things I've been trying like putting a towel a few inches behind the ball and focusing on the ground contact, but of course when I get hyper focused on the ground then I lose my other swing thought that has been working so well recently.

I'm wondering if anyone has advice. I've been looking at Adam Young's drills and advice since he's much more external task focused rather changing swing technique and seeing what shakes out.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

gvibes posted:

Very jealous, but also.....that equipment hanging precariously above the door is some Final Destination poo poo.

I broke 100 today. Shot a 98 (51/47) at Falcon's Fire is Kissimmee. I'd call it a soft 98; I usually give myself one mulligan on the front, and one on the back, and it seems I took an extra on the front nine. I was very rough off the tee, but my wedges and putting were on fire, which allowed me to save a lot of shots and avoid black numbers.

Chipped in from 30y out, that was pretty sweet.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I need to get a house with high ceilings...really jealous.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

gvibes posted:

Nice man. I can't compete with that but for sub 1k for everything I'm thrilled with my setup.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Mcqueen posted:

I need to get a house with high ceilings...really jealous.

I’ve been casually looking at houses for a bit now and that’s one of my main requirements. One of my buddies has a skytrak in a room with an 8’ ceiling and he can swing all his irons and hybrids because he’s like 5’8” with a flat swing. I’m 6’3” with a more upright swing and I can’t even swing a wedge comfortably there.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Suprfli6 posted:

I’ve been casually looking at houses for a bit now and that’s one of my main requirements. One of my buddies has a skytrak in a room with an 8’ ceiling and he can swing all his irons and hybrids because he’s like 5’8” with a flat swing. I’m 6’3” with a more upright swing and I can’t even swing a wedge comfortably there.

We're the same person. I had an engineer buddy come over and see about modifying some of the bottom chords/webs in my garage's roof...his suggestion was to get a different house...

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I got lucky that the house we're in has a 9.5 foot ceiling in the garage, which is juuust enough for me.

We're going to be looking for a new house in a few years and that will be a hard requirement for me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
18 holes later. PXG was noticeably shorter a couple of times with the driver, but only a couple of times. Pretty much a good, if not particularly durable, ball.

The Titleist has now played two rounds, so 9 holes and 9 holes. Clean, perfect shape, will be in play next week. The PXG had a scuff from a full wedge on its first hole of the day. Didn't get that much worse, but the cover is definitely softer, less durable. That ball won't go round again, but I'll put a new one against the titleist on Tuesday.

The three ball I played with today asked me my score after every hole. They had one guy (inaccurately) keeping theirs, and he also asked mine. Weird.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Welp today starts my vacation. Charity scramble tourney tomorrow, a round probably monday or tuesday and then it's off to loving Kiawah Island!!!! 5 rounds in 4 days there, playing all the courses there, Ocean Course is Thursday.

Can't
loving
Wait

My game is pretty on point right now so I'm hoping I can post some good scores out there.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Sick. Kiawah is amazing. Take pictures.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yup definitely agree - we demand pictures.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Shredded my graphite 3 wood (Ping G30) shaft just above the ferrule. Must have happened last weekend because I didn't even notice it until today. Since I typically default to my 5......my 3 doesn't get too much play. Trying to decide on whether to get a whole new wood or just replace the shaft.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Shredded my graphite 3 wood (Ping G30) shaft just above the ferrule. Must have happened last weekend because I didn't even notice it until today. Since I typically default to my 5......my 3 doesn't get too much play. Trying to decide on whether to get a whole new wood or just replace the shaft.

G.A.S.

Get the new hotness.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

torgeaux posted:

G.A.S.

Get the new hotness.

What is?

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 6, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Get a Ping G425 Max 7 Wood to replace the 3 wood

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Buy something new. Gear acquisition syndrome. New is always better.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Trip report on the Beryllium Copper pings.....They are sooo goddamned pure holy gently caress. I HATE the 3 iron but I love the 4-9. The PW feels like it has zero bounce and I put my Apex PW/AW back in, along with my S Grind 50 degree and a W grind 56. For the first time, I really put thought into my bag instead of the shiniest poo poo I could find. (very recent development for me mentally).

The best part of my game right now is I am deadly inside 100. I've gotten much better with my wedges and have a lot of par putts called "good" lately :smug: I putt those out unless its pace of play related. I can putt now, and I have a driver that feels just awesome with mostly predictable results. That monster 3W I got from Docta Fun rounds out my north of 200 yard setup. I have the Ping hybrid or an old 5W Warbird with a steel shaft for intermediate range, then 4-9 pings and wedges. I'm happy.

I'm gonna roll with these until my hci comes down.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Suprfli6 posted:

Just got back after playing 3 balls for 9 holes and the performance was fine but this new version feels way firmer and more clicky than previous ones with every club in my bag, to such an extent that I probably won't be buying any more. My course is still very wet from several inches of rain this week which might have been making me try to pick the balls and getting them a little thin, but I still had some original KSigs and V2s in my bag and the feel when chipping/putting those was night and day different. Durability was fine, carry distance was fine, spin seemed good, but I don't like the new feel at all. If I happen to change my mind after some more practice with them I'll let y'all know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Original ksig was a goat high spin ball