Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I ordered the Roscoe 7 direct from Trek and they're shipping it to a local shop to assemble and for me to pick up. Should I call the shop and get them to do the tubeless set up? Is there anything else I should have them do? Keeping in mind they'll probably charge me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
They should not charge you for something that is a part of basic setup of the bike you just bought.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Trip report --

This past weekend, I did a 2 day MTB clinic with Dynamic Cycling in Hingham, MA, 40min outside of Boston.
They offer each day a la carte, but I thought it would be worth learning from scratch to make sure I was exposed to a cohesive system instead of adding material to what I thought I was doing right.
https://www.dynamiccyclingadventures.com/mountain-bike-clinics

Some comments up top:
- they said the clinic was happening rain or shine, and sure enough for a New England spring, it was threatening rain both days. I was wondering how they could be confident they could safely cover all the material. And the explanation for that was that they give you a voucher if a half-day or more is rained out.
- on a scale of 1-10 (I'm guessing, since I'm not really qualified to speak to the upper end) in terms of difficulty/technicality of material, day 1 was probably a 2, and day 2 started at a 4 and shot up to 6-7 pretty quickly. So day 1 was on the whole pretty unsatisfying for my experience level
- the program adheres strongly to a 'run what you brung' philosophy, meaning their techniques should be achievable on most mountain bikes. As a result, they were frequently not too fine-grained with technical detail up front, instead choosing to observe riders and work out individually any issues they were having
- my bike is a Nukeproof 27.5 hardtail with a Trust fork and tire inserts. It's a bike I have been riding without too much complaint in local New England forest trails, which might be best described as "you are in a maze of rooty passages, all alike." I was hoping this class would help me decide to keep going with the bike or upgrade

Day 1:
Dynamic Cycling talks about 6 core skill areas, with the 1st day covering the first 3:
- balance and body position
- operational controls, shifting
- vision

Saturday morning was being introduced to the ready position, where you're squatting low and with elbows bent at 90deg, chin pulled forward to be over the stem. The goal is to have your weight more centered between the wheels, giving you balanced traction for whatever terrain you might run into.
Like most people, I tend to sit back and not get low enough at either the hips or the shoulders. The feedback was pretty predictably "get more forward," and it definitely helped.

We also checked our relaxed neutral position, and progressed to switching from neutral to ready and back, and neutral to forward and back positions.
Then we did leaning the bike side to side while keeping body centered, using elbows swing the front and letting the top tube sway between the bent legs. One little detail pointed out to me is that some riders adopt a bowlegged stance just to be ready to lean the bike more under them, and that roadies learning the sport tend to keep their knees aligned out of habit.

We worked on proper braking technique, stopping with only the front and only the rear. Here is where I learned that my rear rotor was so contaminated (at least when wet from drizzling rain) that I couldn't even lock up on grass.
Drove out to the nearest REI at lunch and got a new rotor/pad set, but also heard from the shop guy that he'd seen 3 other SLX brakes leaking, and that could be what happened to mine.

In the afternoon, we worked on rolling over peaky obstacles, like a log or triangular rock. This was opportunistic, as the coaches led us around on various trails to let us work the basics, and pulled over if they saw a trail feature they could use to educate.
There were multiple classes running together, so sometimes an ideal rock roll would already be occupied, and we'd have to go on to the next one.
The rock roll technique sounded so intuitive when explained, but still took some guts for me to execute on bigger rocks/declines without pushing myself way back on the rear wheel.

Overall, I thought class sizes were pushing it, with some drills getting only 2 reps before we moved on.

One thing that I don't think really got covered, possibly by oversight, was cornering. We did have cornering drills, but without much discussion about the tires and sideknobs.
It was rather more theoretical about entering and exiting a single corner, without tying to the lesson about scanning the terrain between far out and close up. I would have liked to hear especially about taking on S-curves or switchbacks. Especially as the trails we went through were exceedingly easy and straight.

I think the biggest reveal for day one is that I had my rebound on the Trust set way too soft. I had been relying too much on the suspension to absorb while my arms were close to locked. Once I involved my arms to respond to the terrain, the fork felt like it was bogging. A few clicks up on the rebound got things balanced right between my arms and the fork.

Day 2:
This was much more challenging, both in terms of existing skill/experience as well as fitness. The class was a lot smaller, and everyone was a bit more focused.

The remaining 3 skill areas covered were:
- terrain awareness
- pressure [force between tires and you] control
- timing and coordination

We started off with awareness and pressure control. The drills used PVC half-pipes (curved side up) as bumps, shifted to various positions and frequency. You were just supposed to properly absorb the shocks as you rolled over them. Nothing revelatory, though the hardtail riders did as expected get more critique/demand to absorb with their legs. This is an important skill to have, of course. The Trust is very stable through repeat bumps, and so it's easy to get mismatched between front and rear control, with the fork going through stuff that's harder for the legs to account for.

Then it was on to front wheel lifts, rear wheel lifts, and level lifts (English bunny hops).
It was raining harder than the previous day, and over the course of the day, my decision to wear trail runners with high-relief tread blocks against my Race Face Chester pedals steadily became a poorer and poorer choice.
I managed the front wheel lift fine, but the scooping technique called for to pull up the rear of the bike was really tricky for me. I felt like I really had to force apart my hands and feet to press into the pedals enough.
But I managed that better than the level lifts, which were an extra challenge in finessing fore-aft weight balance. I feel like my weight was 75% of the way forward, if 0% is front wheel lift and 100% is rear wheel lift. We got a lot more reps of everything, which was great! But it did mean it was quite easy to get worn out practicing the lifts in the cone zone (where the instructors are watching) and everywhere else, as you cruise your way to the back of the queue.

Then they got out the jump ramps. At first, something completely tame, like maybe 6" off the ground, something you could easily roll over. At first I was blithely over-lifting the front wheel and not suffering for it on tiny elevation. The coaches emphasized their maxim of "minimal terrain, maximum technique," and that stuck with me. You don't have to do extreme speed or size to work proper technique. In fact, at the extremely easy end, you need more technique to eke out what you need from the feature. It kept everything in perspective to see the instructors doing nice jumps at like 5mph and minimal effort.
Anyways, on my jump progression, as I tried to level out and pull up the rear as it cleared the lip, I just couldn't make the level lift scooping technique work. As we went to bigger and bigger ramps, the instructors kept trying to figure out what was going on.
After quite a while, they concluded it was the lack of grip between my shoes and pedals. One coach commented that once you really master it, you could be doing this in plastic pedals and flip-flops. But starting out, you need all the help you can get.
I tried my best, but about half my landings had the pedals coming loose mid-air on me, which led to less preparation for absorbing the landing. On a couple tries, I could hear the soles slipping and squeaking against the plastic body of the Chesters, so I knew I was missing out on grip.
I wasn't cleared to do the last jump drill, which was a 5.5ft gap from lip to knuckle. There was a table set up in between, but the head coach thought my slipping was just too risky.
I finished drills with the other less experienced group, doing a slightly different and easier jump, just trying to get more natural feel on my jump timing.

Over lunch, we were told that, thanks to the amount of rain we'd already gotten, we'd all get a voucher to drop into any future 1 day class that we wanted.
Which is nice because the other venues have different terrain, and relative to this state forest, are mostly less trail, more bike park.

In the afternoon, we went out on trails to scope out jumps and drops. At this point, I was trying to be careful to not overextend.
I was pretty tired from a morning's worth of jump drills, and I'd tweaked my arm a little bit such that it tended to collapse on heavier landings and tilt my bike over a bit, requiring extra steering maneuvers to straighten out.
I wanted to get my money's worth, but I didn't want to get hurt. I came off the pedals a couple times but never went OTB. I probably got close there, too, though.

Once again, I was disallowed from the big feature jump, which was maybe 9' after a sharp smooth drop-in. Coach thought I'd be fine going off the ramp, but could still wipe out if I lost my pedals mid-air.
So I just got to try the drop, which had a slightly tight berm on the approach. I finally got to do the pushing back over the rear wheel I'd been tending toward everywhere else and cleared it without too much fuss.
The full sequence was 3 pretty small jumps, like 12" high, that you could coast through, a tabletop (that I rolled), and then the drop. After I cleared the whole thing, I told myself I was done pushing it for the day.

Besides plenty of very technical rooty/rocky up and down New England style trails (for which I feel like my BB is too low, scraping quite a bit), there was only one more real session left. This staircase of tree roots, glistening in the rain.
One pair of roots angled 45 degrees, pushing the front into a metal fence lining the trail. On my first try, I fixated and went straight to those roots, but was able to tripod to a rough stop. 2nd time, I got dumb and got on the front brake while pushing back instead of staying chin over stem and sending it. But between the rain and possibly my front brake also being weak, I only got moderately bucked off my pedals, and made it down sloppily. I really wish they'd gotten that one on video.

Takeaways from day 2:
- the company is called Dynamic because they want to remind you that riding is a dynamic discipline. There's a lot of stuff coming at you, and you have to manage it all, controling the bike to match the situation at hand
- it will take me a lot more seat time to get a more balanced position on descents
- even on climbs, staying seated (not that my STA is slack) led to my front tire getting way too light and not in control. Climbing standing (or weirdly, with the seat dropped a bit) felt more in control and with better traction
- I think there's a weakness/imbalance at my left elbow that I need to really stay on top of. There were times where my left arm would collapse in during the compression phase for jumps, leading me to jump off at an angle
- I have to try out all these techniques with more grip on the pedals. Every other flats rider was in 510s like it was a drat dress code. And it should have been! I have some Leatt shoes on the way, and will bring both SPDs and flats to my next ride
- I ended the clinic at 18/20 psi, which is a bit lower than I normally ride, but then again, it was raining, and I never ride stuff that wet

Here's an album of all the notes I took; feel free to ask/comment anything: https://imgur.com/a/0WOzMms
This isn't a complete take on the instruction, and even if it were, it certainly doesn't compare to actually doing the class.

At $400, I think this class is worth it if you've ridden enough to have attempted some small jumps/drops, no matter how well that went. There's a certain level of intimidation facing down some of the features where you're a novice, and it can certainly overwhelm to the point where you're not comfortable with a big fraction of the 2nd day. You probably want a bike that cost more than the class, but one guy was going down this rock roll on a Walmart Schwinn:

Standard MTB disclaimer that that decline is about 45deg, even though it doesn't look that bad.

If you are very consistent with your current riding style and comfortable with a variety of features, this class might feel pretty redundant. I did hear two of the very seasoned riders say they appreciated learning some technique from scratch.
One was a local to the trails, and he said he'd biked by the 9' jump and never thought about trying it. And he cleaned it pretty easily after the morning jump practice.

One more thing -- there's a women's only class, which I think could be very helpful to those riders who would be otherwise distracted / intimidated in a mixed setting. But -- I saw them out there all the time. That is, there were plenty of times where we were 20-200ft away from them as we did drills in the field or arrived at various features on trails. So I dunno if that'd be enough isolation for someone seeking out that class. I tried to not stare over there to see what all bikes they were riding.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Horizontal Tree posted:

They should not charge you for something that is a part of basic setup of the bike you just bought.

Would that be considered part of it? I'm not buying it from the store, but I guess they have a deal with Trek. The Trek website just says they'll assemble it for me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm surprised to see so many comments saying that the shops shouldn't charge for the tubeless setup. I would absolutely expect to pay for that as it's an additional thing you're asking them to spend shop time and materials on. I wouldn't think it's expensive, but I would expect to see it as a billed service. I haven't bought a new bike through a shop so it's totally possible I'm just not informed.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Ive always purchased the valves if they didn’t come with the bike. Labor and sealant usually free.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Trip report --
This past weekend, I did a 2 day MTB clinic with Dynamic Cycling in Hingham, MA, 40min outside of Boston.

Thanks for this write-up, I was looking around for clinics yesterday and found that Ninja MTB Performance does a two day course in my city that sounds very similar. Their's is at a much different price point though ($900) and I don't think it seems at all worth it at that cost... Especially given what you said about Day 1 being fairly unsatisfying at your skill level.

A local shop does 1-on-1 instruction at $90 for 90 minutes and I'm thinking I may try that out instead to get a bit of personalized coaching.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

prom candy posted:

Would that be considered part of it? I'm not buying it from the store, but I guess they have a deal with Trek. The Trek website just says they'll assemble it for me.

You need to talk to the store that’s assembling it and find out. Not sure how the Trek deal works, since I believe Trek stores are franchises, but with talking to independent Marin dealers the bike just kinda shows up and they’re expected to assemble it for you. Dealer gets little to no compensation for their time when you order online. If that’s the case with Trek, I’d expect to pay extra.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

kimbo305 posted:

Trip report --

/.../
Thanks a lot for writing this up, fascinating and I feel like I learned a good amount (as a beginnerish MTB rider) just from reading your trip report :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MarxCarl posted:

You need to talk to the store that’s assembling it and find out. Not sure how the Trek deal works, since I believe Trek stores are franchises, but with talking to independent Marin dealers the bike just kinda shows up and they’re expected to assemble it for you. Dealer gets little to no compensation for their time when you order online. If that’s the case with Trek, I’d expect to pay extra.

I ordered mine from a store since I wasn't sure on sizing. They put it together and all that but didn't do anything more than that. I had to convert to tubeless on my own and they didn't offer. Newer treks don't sound like they ship with tubes at all so I'd expect the shop to add the sealant at sale time. Buying online I'd expect them to ship it in a box where you put the wheels on and maybe handlebars, then add sealant yourself probably.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Trek will not ship a bike to your house (neither will many mfgs), and their bikes are not ready for anyone to just put together out of the box like a canyon or whatever.

Most mfgs, trek included, give shops a credit when an online sale shows up that is pretty close to the normal markup on a new bike sale.

As I already mentioned on the last page, the trek roscoe 7 is tubeless out of the box. rims taped, valves in, tires seated on rim. Sealant in a little bottle in the box. New bikes on the sales floor usually don't have sealant in them but a bike you pick up that you ordered online absolutely will. At no charge, without having to ask.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

My experience backs this up as well... the last few non-DTC bikes I've bought have been via prodeal, shipped to me as I understand it the same way that shops get it. Sealant, but not tubes, included. If I bought a bike from a shop that was shipped to them with sealant and no tubes, and they put tubes but not sealant in it, I'd be annoyed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jato posted:

Thanks for this write-up, I was looking around for clinics yesterday and found that Ninja MTB Performance does a two day course in my city that sounds very similar. Their's is at a much different price point though ($900) and I don't think it seems at all worth it at that cost... Especially given what you said about Day 1 being fairly unsatisfying at your skill level.
I looked at their 2 day class and yeah, it's more the same than different. The larger cornering section seems attractive, but I feel like most people will be skill-limited rather than instruction-limited. As in, there's not an instructor who could coach me to progress at more than double the rate and thus make it worth the extra $500.

quote:

A local shop does 1-on-1 instruction at $90 for 90 minutes and I'm thinking I may try that out instead to get a bit of personalized coaching.
You could at least ask for as much details as they'll provide for free, which I imagine would be a lot. Provided you're pretty fit, $180 for 1.5h could be a lot of material, which would easily make up for the higher cost per hour. Every single rep would be your work and have eyes on you. On the other hand, I did think it was somewhat helpful to see a range of successful and unsucessful attempts, as well as seeing other students making progress.

Today I got back out on local trails (which are very much the same kind of terrain as the clinic) on SPDs, looking to rework everything I didn't quite pull off in class. The first time I tried the rear wheel lift, I was like, is this a joke? It's a piece of cake.
Certainly, being clipped in is pretty much cheating compared to using flats, and I knew it would be something like this from the small amount of hopping I've done on road bikes. But yeah, it let me focus on other aspects of timing and tweaking position.

I sessioned a lot of basics, and only got a bit of video. Propping up your phone using rocks is such a chore.
https://i.imgur.com/GTfhCCG.mp4

First part is this maybe 4" rock I found that had a bit of lip both ways. Going left to right, the ramping was a bit friendlier, which is why those jumps turned out a bit better.
You can see that no matter how sloppy foot angling, the cranks have to come with me, so the rear of the bike lifts. To use Dynamic Cycling language, because the feature is so small, it doesn't have a lot of energy (potential to push you up into the air), and if I really wanted to make a true jump out of it, I'd have to come in a lot faster to generate more vertical speed relative to the lip and to get my rear tire to roll up to the lip before I'd be pulling it up with my feet. So at the lower speeds I was going at, I was basically doing a bump assisted level lift.

2nd part is this interesting gravel pile between a trail and a clearing:

The goose guarding it was pretty amusing and made me wait a few times as it waddled around eating.

Going uphill, there's not enough lip to get much of a boost to jump. I couldn't sprint hard enough to make that interesting.
Coming downhill, there's a couple of pronounced lips. I didn't take the most exciting one cuz the goose kept standing downrange of it.
The drop is 1 - 1.5 ft, depending on where you measure it. So the ramp itself is modest, but distance traveled and air time were pretty novel for me.

The trails were muddy in quite a few spots, so I didn't do as much XC riding as I would have liked, and maybe burned myself out doing so many reps on feature drills, but it was pretty satisfying to know I can unlock working on jump technique with the equipment change. The next time Dynamic Cycling is within a 2h drive is June or July, and it might be make sense for me to go back to that 2nd day with more practice under my belt.

e:

kimbo305 posted:

- I think there's a weakness/imbalance at my left elbow that I need to really stay on top of. There were times where my left arm would collapse in during the compression phase for jumps, leading me to jump off at an angle
This happened once on some pretty minor launch. I think I just have to be much more intentional about the shape of my limbs before pushing off.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 6, 2023

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thats a good write up and fun to read about how those classes are! I've always been kinda curious but never pulled the trigger on taking one.

On your elbow thing, can't quite tell from your video clips but I find it feels way better if I have elbows out in a push-up position vs near my rib cage. Doesn't feel as natural but it makes it way easier for me to load my bars, absorb impact, and also lean the bike side to side under me vs when my elbows are close. If you watch pro DH guys (which are great technique references if you can look past the insanity of what they're doing) they almost always have their elbows out wider than their hands.

Did you practice a j-hop (classic bunnyhop) at all? Its probably the next thing to work on if you've done front/rear/level lifts and by playing with the timing of front and back wheel lifting it lets you use features like that rock to lift both wheels in turn regardless of speed, and to be honest I find it easier to keep feet on pedals with j-hops vs english hops.

You mentioned having proper MTB shoes on the way, those will help a crazy amount with keeping feet on flat pedals.

Unrelated, Adam Brayton loving rips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTR-RWKaL4o

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I’m looking into switching from my ‘18 Kona Honzo to a short travel trail bike like the Canyon Neuron. The Internet seems to like the updated design. I’m not set on it but it looks great for the price. I mostly want to change bikes for some rear suspension because I’m getting old and the hardtail is starting to punish my ankles and back. The 68 degree head tube angle on the Honzo isn’t confidence inspiring either (Neuron has a 66deg HTA).

Any other bikes I should check out? I ride sloppy blue tech/roots and attempt jumping in the PNW. I’d swap a nice 120-140mm DVO fork to whatever the new bike is, so builds with budget forks aren’t an issue. Aluminum is preferred over carbon, and climbing ability is just as important as descending to me.

I looked at the Commencal tempo and Transition Smuggler/Spur but those are $$$$

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I’m looking into switching from my ‘18 Kona Honzo to a short travel trail bike like the Canyon Neuron. The Internet seems to like the updated design. I’m not set on it but it looks great for the price. I mostly want to change bikes for some rear suspension because I’m getting old and the hardtail is starting to punish my ankles and back. The 68 degree head tube angle on the Honzo isn’t confidence inspiring either (Neuron has a 66deg HTA).

Any other bikes I should check out? I ride sloppy blue tech/roots and attempt jumping in the PNW. I’d swap a nice 120-140mm DVO fork to whatever the new bike is, so builds with budget forks aren’t an issue. Aluminum is preferred over carbon, and climbing ability is just as important as descending to me.

The Ibis Ripley AF seems like it would tick all the boxes for you.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

On your elbow thing, can't quite tell from your video clips but I find it feels way better if I have elbows out in a push-up position vs near my rib cage. Doesn't feel as natural but it makes it way easier for me to load my bars, absorb impact, and also lean the bike side to side under me vs when my elbows are close. If you watch pro DH guys (which are great technique references if you can look past the insanity of what they're doing) they almost always have their elbows out wider than their hands.
In clinic, the compression was definitely with elbows flared out, so I do try to do it that way. Part of the collapse is rushing things and not bracing enough, so just doesn't get in place quickly enough.

quote:

Did you practice a j-hop (classic bunnyhop) at all? Its probably the next thing to work on if you've done front/rear/level lifts and by playing with the timing of front and back wheel lifting it lets you use features like that rock to lift both wheels in turn regardless of speed, and to be honest I find it easier to keep feet on pedals with j-hops vs english hops.

No, they didn't drill that specifically. I did it a bit out on the trails picking out little rocks to hop.
But I would agree that the front-back shift and timing delay with the bunny hop mirrors how you would approach pushing off medium speed jumps.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Hard to beat Canyon pricing but the Fezzari Delano Peak can be had with DVO front/rear suspension. SLX build is currently $2999.

Nohearum fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 7, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Bud Manstrong posted:

The Ibis Ripley AF seems like it would tick all the boxes for you.

Nohearum posted:

Hard to beat Canyon pricing but the Fezzari Delano Peak can be had with DVO front/rear suspension. SLX build is currently $2999.
:shittydog: Ordered the NGX ripley

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Was looking for some cranks on craigslist and came across this. Guy took a stock Raceface Aeffect crank and milled it out to reduce weight, then repainted. Looks cool but is this asking to die?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I would not ride the drillium crankset

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.
That reminded me of these cranks that the Hardtail Party guy uses, but holy smokes, the price on these bad boys..

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nohearum posted:

Was looking for some cranks on craigslist and came across this. Guy took a stock Raceface Aeffect crank and milled it out to reduce weight, then repainted. Looks cool but is this asking to die?

Seems fine unless you're 250lbs. I imagine they're significantly overengineered to begin with. I'll say that new turbine cranks are not much more money.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nohearum posted:

To me this looks like it would have a lot of torsional flex and the material itself is very thin in places for aluminum

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I'm surprised to see so many comments saying that the shops shouldn't charge for the tubeless setup. I would absolutely expect to pay for that as it's an additional thing you're asking them to spend shop time and materials on. I wouldn't think it's expensive, but I would expect to see it as a billed service. I haven't bought a new bike through a shop so it's totally possible I'm just not informed.
It depends if the shop's getting the sale or the OEM is through the website. If your LBS is just receiving the bike, gently caress you pay them. If they're selling you the bike, they should absolutely help you get 100% ready to ride.

Nohearum posted:

Ah yes the spot you want to NOT triangulate is the part closest to the BB axle, obviously.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006

Bud Manstrong posted:

Don’t underfork it; you’ll drop the BB height, and that can lead to more pedal strikes. You’d also steepen the head angle, which doesn’t really make sense with wanting more aggressive geometry in the first place.

The Marin Team 2 would probably overlap with the XC bike you already have. Are you thinking you’ll keep your XC bike? Or sell it and get something that can do most everything?

Why aggressive hardtail versus full suspension, especially if you’re thinking about bike park days?

This reply was actually very helpful, very much appreciated. It gave me a bunch to think about and helped curb the GAS for a Ragley.

It's hard to answer your question on why a hardtail, I guess ignorance/arrogance/stubbornness is about as good as I can come up with. We have so many punchy climbs here in central TX and I'm just stuck on the idea that I'll have more fun on a hardtail, even though I completely understand there's a world of full squish bikes that are fast and climb well.

I was able to track down some discussion on underforking a Ragley Big Al (my original plan) and it does seem doable, but I think I've settled on instead building or buying a Banshee Paradox v3. Pretty confident I can get a lightweight setup going for daily stuff, while having the option of throwing on bigger tires or another fork for the rare downhill days.

There's a used Paradox a few hours away at a shockingly good price considering the parts, so I'm leaning towards grabbing that if it's still available and I can break free from work.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Modern XC bikes climb great and when locked out gets you 99% of the way to a hardtail experience, just a little heavier because the shock is still there.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Just ordered my bike. finally got the cycle scheme voucher sorted. A Roscoe 8 - after shopping around a bit more... Also the Whyte 629 was out of stock :(

In about a week I will have two wheels once more! (Previous bike nuked by a motorbike in a road accident last summer)

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

evil_bunnY posted:

Ah yes the spot you want to NOT triangulate is the part closest to the BB axle, obviously.

Trust me bro, it's fine.

Seriously, I personally wouldnt chance that.

Another red flag is i dont see any good pics of the spindle. If thats worn i wouldnt use it either as it'll end up breaking BB bearings every 6 months.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hardtail has been beating me up so I'm trying this full suspension thing.

it's roughly the same weight as my hardtail, surprisingly climbs better, and descends much better. not having to unweight the back for every little root on climbs saves so much energy. what a dream

wife just ordered one too :getin:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it's roughly the same weight as my hardtail, surprisingly climbs better, and descends much better. not having to unweight the back for every little root on climbs saves so much energy. what a dream

Nice ride. I’m keep threatening to swap my thunderbolt for one

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Hell yeah, nice bike. Even on our flat rear end Midwest trails I like the FS so much more. I can be lazy and sit over a lot of things I'd have to stand up for previously.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Had my first run at a downhill park today. Ended up running most of the parks blue rides and had an absolute blast.

Felt like I was able to ride within limits and keep it safe while improving over the course of the day.

Probably gonna find a couple clinics in the coming months and picked up a season pass because I’m 100% to be back.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Walked posted:

Had my first run at a downhill park today. Ended up running most of the parks blue rides and had an absolute blast.

Felt like I was able to ride within limits and keep it safe while improving over the course of the day.

Probably gonna find a couple clinics in the coming months and picked up a season pass because I’m 100% to be back.

Yesssss one of us

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Walked posted:

niiiice

Lift service is so much fun and a huge asset for progression if its close enough to go regularly. Which one are ya at? Wherever it is there's probably folks around who are happy to meet up if possible.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Boogalo posted:

niiiice

Lift service is so much fun and a huge asset for progression if its close enough to go regularly. Which one are ya at? Wherever it is there's probably folks around who are happy to meet up if possible.

I ended up at Blue Mountain but Mountain Creek is roughly equidistant.

It was incredible- being basically 100% action I could perceptibly observe my skills increase in real time. I know it’s largely beginner wins but it really made it a positive day.

Going back ASAP for more

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I see whistler is open and meanwhile I can see the mountain where my local lift served bike park is basically anytime I drive anywhere and it’s still visibly snow covered top to bottom

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Yesssss one of us

A day later and reflecting on this experience

I just want to go back ASAP and I have lost virtually all desire for my local trails (mostly XC stuff). And the better public trails arent much closer than the downhill park anyways.

Welp.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Walked posted:

A day later and reflecting on this experience

I just want to go back ASAP and I have lost virtually all desire for my local trails (mostly XC stuff). And the better public trails arent much closer than the downhill park anyways.

Welp.

Good, good. Let the park flow through you.

I'm going up later this week for a couple days at whistler. Gotta go over my bike before then and install my bizzaro handlebars. Yes I will post pics of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006

Walked posted:

Welp.

Sounds like you had a blast! Those days where you feel like you actively level up are so great, and I can absolutely relate to returning to the local XC spot and feeling underwhelmed.

I drove from Austin to Dallas yesterday to pick up this Banshee Paradox v3 build:

First pic is from the listing and the second is from this morning.

It's possibly a little overforked and I think I might prefer a Pike 130mm vs the current Fox 36 Rhythm. It's my first dropper post and also seems like it might take a few rides to get used to the modern geo.

The bars feel very close comparatively and it feels like it's harder to pull on the bars proper to sprint uphill, otherwise having an absolute blast and can't wait to hit up Spider Mountain.