Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Their treatment of the leaks is so loving disingenuous. It literally was an iCloud leak and they basically pinned it here on Gmail, even if they didn’t mention it by name. It’s some grand corporate whitewashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

This episode was preachy and cringey and unfunny, but what sticks out most of all was what Roy did. It's a major regression of the character to ask what he asked, and he knew immediately after (and before, and during) that he shouldn't have asked and also had nothing to gain.

I guess characters are allowed to regress, but it feels out of place and disheartening. We want to root of the guy, and this is a massive fuckup from left field. It's like if they suddenly gave him a huge gambling problem or something.

It feels like a conversation the writer had that stuck with them, and so they twisted a character to rehash the event. It also feels nakedly like a tee up for Jamie's much better response and apology. Just crass writing overall.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm not talking about sexy-time shots. I'm talking about just plain happy snaps. The way the scene was framed it was like you break up with someone and have to nuke their entire existence from your life. gently caress that.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The scene made it unrealistically obvious what they were talking about in huge big letters, but you managed to take away something that wasn’t there.

I'm kind of with Looten here in that I think the moral statement of the PSA segment was a little incoherent. So even if someone consensually sends you nude photos, you should delete them because there's a chance you might get hacked? Obviously I wouldn't condone things like showing other people naked pictures of your ex, but if the mere possibility of getting hacked makes it reckless to keep sensitive photos, doesn't that also make it reckless to take such photos in the first place? I don't think it does, but that would be the logical conclusion of the argument that scene presents. This doesn't really jibe with how the episode goes out of its way to establish, correctly, that Keeley didn't do anything shameful.

I'll echo the general sentiment that this episode was overly preachy and light on laughs, but it did have its moments. The Love Hounds scene was some great cringe humor, and I actually thought the "Hey Jude" scene was sweet. It's nice getting a little bit of insight into the relationship between two characters who don't get much screen time together, but presumably know each other because they've both been in Ted's life for so long.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Was there supposed to be extra significance in the "out of quarters" bit at the pub where Ted pulled out a green matchbook? I thought the green matchbook was way back to Rebecca's fortune teller thing, but didn't remember that it ended up in Ted's hands. Did I miss something?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RhymesWithTendon posted:

I'm kind of with Looten here in that I think the moral statement of the PSA segment was a little incoherent. So even if someone consensually sends you nude photos, you should delete them because there's a chance you might get hacked?

That’s the point it was making (it’s neither a new concept nor just in case of potential hacks), but that’s not how Looten read the scene.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Robobot posted:

I’m beginning to think they didn’t have three seasons worth of material to mine out of a 20 second ESPN commercial.

NBC commercial.

It seems they had 2-3 seasons worth of plotlines lined up but Jason seems hellbent on leaving so they are doing a lightning round which simultaneously makes the episodes drawn out to the point of tedium while cramming everything they had into a food press and coming out as purée slop. That could explain the behind the scene issues. Given WBD financial woes, the show likely wouldn't have lasted long in its current state anyway.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Also the idea that Nate would invite and then presume (to his later embarrassment) that unabashed British Sith Lord Rupert would both attend the Love Hounds meeting and also have anything meaningful to add, implies to me that he isn't actually aware his boss is a Sith Lord (can you imagine how much worse it would be for Nate if he actually showed up?).

...But then in his edited response to Rupert's mean spirited text about Ted, Nate gives exactly the answer Rupert would want, because I guess he does know him after all!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Vegetable posted:

Their treatment of the leaks is so loving disingenuous. It literally was an iCloud leak and they basically pinned it here on Gmail, even if they didn’t mention it by name. It’s some grand corporate whitewashing.

It was an iCloud leak but the vulnerability came from email. The email accounts were hacked which gave the hackers access to the iCloud accounts. The hackers then sent a phishing email telling people to back up their phones to iCloud before the next update for safety.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

sure okay posted:

This episode was preachy and cringey and unfunny, but what sticks out most of all was what Roy did. It's a major regression of the character to ask what he asked, and he knew immediately after (and before, and during) that he shouldn't have asked and also had nothing to gain.

I guess characters are allowed to regress, but it feels out of place and disheartening. We want to root of the guy, and this is a massive fuckup from left field. It's like if they suddenly gave him a huge gambling problem or something.

It feels like a conversation the writer had that stuck with them, and so they twisted a character to rehash the event. It also feels nakedly like a tee up for Jamie's much better response and apology. Just crass writing overall.

Except it’s not a regression at all. Why did he break up with Keely? Because he thinks he’s not good enough for her and wants to end things on his terms. Why does he ask Keely who she did the video for? Because it wasn’t for him, and that proves to him that he never had with Keely what she had with anyone else. He may be great and have grown in relating to Jamie, but he’s still kind of hosed up about Keely.

sure okay posted:

Also the idea that Nate would invite and then presume (to his later embarrassment) that unabashed British Sith Lord Rupert would both attend the Love Hounds meeting and also have anything meaningful to add, implies to me that he isn't actually aware his boss is a Sith Lord (can you imagine how much worse it would be for Nate if he actually showed up?).

...But then in his edited response to Rupert's mean spirited text about Ted, Nate gives exactly the answer Rupert would want, because I guess he does know him after all!

Boy, it’s a good thing there wasn’t anything between Nate’s invite and Nate’s text, like clearly being ignored by Rupert, hung up on abruptly by Rupert’s secretary, and Rupert taking the initiative to be pissed off about Ted showing up and pre-emptively making sure “it doesn’t happen again” that would have been a clear reminder to Nate of what Rupert really expects!

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I don't know the specifics of the leak in real life, but I had thought that it was that images and video were backed up to icloud by default. So even if they'd deleted stuff off their phone, the backups were still there without people realizing it was accessible. That did make me feel like the "hey, delete it off your phone" message seem disingenuous to what really happened (if my understanding of what happened is correct).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The whole locker room "what if..." "Delete it!" Scene felt like it was going to break into a musical number at any moment. The cuts and rhythm of speech had big musical energy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder if some earlier draft of the season had Zava still on the team for that scene, with hijinks ensuing

Otherwise wtf is this season (or Zava) even about

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

RhymesWithTendon posted:

I'm kind of with Looten here in that I think the moral statement of the PSA segment was a little incoherent. So even if someone consensually sends you nude photos, you should delete them because there's a chance you might get hacked? Obviously I wouldn't condone things like showing other people naked pictures of your ex, but if the mere possibility of getting hacked makes it reckless to keep sensitive photos, doesn't that also make it reckless to take such photos in the first place?

That's not the point though.

The Jamie/Keeley conversation with him apologizing and Keeley clearly not being angry at him because of course Jamies email she sent it to wasn't secure addresses what you're saying.

It's more about doing the right thing, which Jamie did, which is recognizing that the reasons material was sent to him no longer apply so it would be weird for him to be looking at it, so he deleted it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Zava dying on his way back to his home planet is great. Having possible solutions hover in and out without much explanation makes total sense to me with how the show approaches sport.

He was great and I'd happily take more, but I'm ok with a character not overstaying his welcome.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Robobot posted:

I’m beginning to think they didn’t have three seasons worth of material to mine out of a 20 second ESPN commercial.

No, that's the really depressing thing, because they totally did. You've got the underdog sports team playing games all season for emotional highs and lows, and you can do a lot of fun stuff with Ted as the fish out of water getting used to a new country, and at the same time as he's showing us his unique coaching methods and helping the players through their problems just in time for them to win the big game, and then you've got the conniving boss that he wins over and her adventures against her evil ex-husband who also owns a rival team. There is a lot of good stuff here!

There's an alternate universe somewhere that has a really great 2 hour Ted Lasso family-friendly sports movie instead of this show. And another alternate universe where they had better TV writers that came up with a much tighter version of this show -- set most of the episodes around the week's football game, have Ted explore the players' various issues trying to get their head right in time to play (or maybe they lose the game and he deals with the emotional fallout), throw in a few jokes where Ted doesn't understand British culture or teaches people some silly Americanisms, and a bit of season-long plot where we learn that Ted's actually dealing with a lot of issues of his own, and where Rebecca slowly learns to appreciate him.

Like, it really doesn't seem that hard! They've got a lot of likeable actors and a really fun setting. They're just all over the map with it. And it's honestly a little bizarre that the football is practically an afterthought at this point.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Phenotype posted:

No, that's the really depressing thing, because they totally did. You've got the underdog sports team playing games all season for emotional highs and lows, and you can do a lot of fun stuff with Ted as the fish out of water getting used to a new country, and at the same time as he's showing us his unique coaching methods and helping the players through their problems just in time for them to win the big game, and then you've got the conniving boss that he wins over and her adventures against her evil ex-husband who also owns a rival team. There is a lot of good stuff here!

There's an alternate universe somewhere that has a really great 2 hour Ted Lasso family-friendly sports movie instead of this show. And another alternate universe where they had better TV writers that came up with a much tighter version of this show -- set most of the episodes around the week's football game, have Ted explore the players' various issues trying to get their head right in time to play (or maybe they lose the game and he deals with the emotional fallout), throw in a few jokes where Ted doesn't understand British culture or teaches people some silly Americanisms, and a bit of season-long plot where we learn that Ted's actually dealing with a lot of issues of his own, and where Rebecca slowly learns to appreciate him.

Like, it really doesn't seem that hard! They've got a lot of likeable actors and a really fun setting. They're just all over the map with it. And it's honestly a little bizarre that the football is practically an afterthought at this point.

Yeah, it feels like there was an incredible amount of potential for material.

How did we go from the original fish out of water premise to receiving lectures on the ethics of digital media ownership as it relates to a 10 year old celebrity photo scandal? It's incredibly bizarre.

radlum
May 13, 2013
My theory regarding why Keeley’s plot this season sucks is that Juno Temple was unavailable for a while so they had to separate Keeley from the rest of the cast and since Sudeikis is no longer dating real life Keeley, he has lost interest in show Keeley overall.

I have no theory on why Nate’s plot sucks though

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I assume Zava will come back on Nate's team, or a team leading up to them to bolster Jamie's plot. Like that they'll beat him will show how far Jamie has come / that their strategy of 'pass Zava the ball' can be thwarted with friendship and teamwork.

I can't imagine they won't bring him back, but who knows maybe someone really invested in the Jack plot won a bet against people with better judgement.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
Although I think this season has been a bit of a mess, I will defend the Roy and Keeley scene. As has been stated, Roy knew the entire time that he should not ask that question. But he couldn't help himself due to his insecurity and immediately regretted it. In a season that has a few of the characters acting like cartoon sitcom characters a scene where someone tries to be a better person but fails seems much more grounded.

And of course Roy will keep on trying, which is the central theme of the entire show.

At least until this season, this season the theme is psychics and romcoms are real.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Having read the thread and properly prepared myself for the cringe, I thought it was.. fine. But the locker room PSA swooshing camera was really unnerving. And then ham-fisting a way for one of the teammates to find out about Colin… eh.

The Love Hound bit floudering was funny and the text from Rupert does seem to be setting up the eventual departure of Nate, especially as Nate becomes more sure of himself in his regular life. THAT should have been the B-plot of the whole season, not “The (Bantr) Office”. And the name of the show is Ted Lasso, but this felt like the first episode all season that we got something substantial from his character.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I did enjoy Beard having to get into costume and character to go to the game.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CPColin posted:

Suddenly remembering that Olivia Wilde was one of the people whose pictures were in the Fappening leak and, uh, that sure adds an extra "oof" to Jack's words to Keeley

I have a hard time telling of Jason Sudakeis is a poo poo head or him and Wilde are toxic to each other. But then then whole, Juno Temple is basically doing another show within the show should tell me something.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
do you think they broke up because of how bad his rewrites were

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Jason Sudakeis pulled pickup artist poo poo on her and it 100% worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3nKFVsdhHE

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I'm kind of with everyone when I think this season is a bit of a mess.

The locker room was 100% a way to subvert the "footballers are scumbags" idea. Nothing more, nothing less. The end also set up Colin's eventual (inevitable) outing by Isaac, which I'm sure will be completely accepted by the team despite outside pressures because this is a fundamentally wholesome TV show.

Keeley's plotline could have been seen a mile away because lesbians cannot have good relationships on TV. It was a real shame that it had to be ruined and she'll get back with Jamie (who, to be fair, is a good guy now. But he shouldn't be The Good Guy if you know what I mean).

Ted's whole thing is fine so far but we don't really know where it's going. I was kind of hoping Henry would want to stay with Ted to avoid the entire clusterfuck that is his mother's relationship, but c'est la vie.

This was also the very first episode (as far as I know) that Liverpool were officially included as part of the show (the logo is in the background at the start). I'm fairly convinced we're the team that was removed to allow for AFC Richmond in-universe (Liverpool aren't in any of the league tables shown) so yay! We exist!

edit: also Nate is still a scumbag and seems to be avoiding any attempts at redemption and I kind of hate that the show is 100% going to make him take over from Ted at the end of the season and expect people to be fine with that.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

This was also the very first episode (as far as I know) that Liverpool were officially included as part of the show (the logo is in the background at the start). I'm fairly convinced we're the team that was removed to allow for AFC Richmond in-universe (Liverpool aren't in any of the league tables shown) so yay! We exist!

i kinda want to see a rundown of which teams still haven't been mentioned at all thus far

the death lottery for who did richmond kill

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

The scene made it unrealistically obvious what they were talking about in huge big letters, but you managed to take away something that wasn’t there.

A guy literally said "delete every single photo you've ever been sent"

A guy literally said "what if it's a sonogram?" and the nerdy virgin waterboy asked "what if it's a commissioned painting that is framed and lives next to my couch?"

Unless I'm massively out of touch with what young people are doing with sects/erotica, it's not just referring to sexts.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I really don't know what this show is trying to do anymore. I'm starting to conspiratorially think that the writers put in stuff like the Rebecca/Sam relationship and no one looking at Ted's ex dating their counselor and saying "wow, you should probably get that guy fired" as weird ragebait to keep us talking because the show has completely lost its staying power otherwise. Basic questions that anyone with a brain stem would ask are completely glossed over in favor of watching Keeley flash her massive teeth at her billionaire girlfriend while they contrive conflict after pointless conflict for them to get into. The footballers are pretty much just a bunch of Minions who say kind of generally agreeable liberal things and Show Up For Each Other, Rebecca after a promising season start is back in woman of a certain age jail and Ted is barely in the show at all. My only solace is that things have finally gotten bad enough for the media bobbleheads who insisted that Season 2 was as good if not better than 1 (it wasn't) to finally turn on the show in droves. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Squashing Machine fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 5, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I appreciated the message of the locker room scene but it showed the weakness of the team this whole season, unlike seasons 1 and 2 whenever the whole team is involved only Jamie and sometimes Sam are actual characters. Everyone else is just a comedy relief "someone says something WOOAAAH YEAH RIGHT ON someone else says something OOOH SHIIIT MAYBE THAT'S MORE RIGHT". It's just especially noticeable here because of the subject of the scene.

Dumbass roundabout way to have someone find out about Colin too.

I get what they're doing with Jack, basically having her just be Rupert but with a smile, but Keeley in general feels so weird and off this season. Like a big part of her character in the previous two seasons was that she outwardly comes off as superficial but with Rebecca's encouragement we see that she actually knows what she's doing and can learn stuff, but here she's completely out of her league in a way that's beyond parody. In this latest episode she realizes that Jack is bad at least.

Like Sam and Rebecca was hosed up but at least it was short and they mutually stopped and the improperness of it was something the characters grappled with, surely that's going to happen next week with Keeley but this has already gone on so long.

I share everyone's sentiment that Ted himself is so weirdly passive and barely present this season. And despite the hosed upness of the Dr. starting that relationship with his ex so soon after working with them, I was stunned that it's shown as something he just needs to move on with and forget about?

Season 1 and 2 had this perfect balance with Ted's wholesome consistency, how the servant leader thing is good but also how he takes it to the extreme of not doing what he needs for himself, and how it stems from him not wanting to inconvenience anyone because of his dad committing suicide, and also had times where his schtick was genuinely really loving annoying for the characters to deal with in a very human way. This season KIND OF has that going on but this episode was the first one of the season where anything with his personal life actually really moved at all. I don't mind if they don't spend a lot of time on the football itself but so little forward motion otherwise really makes me miss it.

Regarding Nate, IIRC there was an interview with the actor not long after season 2 ended that came off like he felt there was no redemption or face turn in store for Nate in season 3, and I know this season isn't over yet but seeing what's happened in the past two episodes I do wonder if that was part of the rewrites. The abruptness of Jade falling for him is bizarre too looking at all their past interactions.

I'm am looking forward to the rest of the season to see if it pulls all this stuff together in a satisfying way or not but dang, this episode but dang, this one was like a greatest hits of all the weaknesses of this season's writing in one episode.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Maybe Nate stays bad and the dr dates Ted's wife because that might be all that you get, that might well be it. Heaven knows you tried to make them better (but failed)

Ted did show up and say he wants his players and people around him to be the best they can be.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I don't normally post in TV IV at all but I had to come in here because I am really disappointed by Ted Lasso this season. I don't understand what this show even is anymore, I don't like Keely's arc which feels like an elaborate excuse to have (admittedly underrepresented) relationship dynamics on screen.

I like Trent and wish he had more to do with S3 than what he's clearly there to do, which is wrap the show up in a nice bow at the end of the season. Though I did like his intervention on the gay stuff with Colin, that felt nice.

Honestly something that's been throwing me way off is the implementation of extremely in your face couture clothing brands- I assume Ted Lasso gets paid for this, because it could not be any more in your face. The worst of this, for me, was when they cut to Rebecca's office in the last episode and there was a clearly VERY expensive handbag aligned perfectly fit to the camera, on her desk, and it just felt so unnatural.

It also runs a little counter to what I perceive as some character's arcs; for example Jamie gets dripped out like crazy but his whole arc is coming back down to earth so... idk that just feels conflicting to me. They must be getting that paycheck off the fits though, so whatever.

Obviously the show no longer being about football is kind of strange, and an extension of that is that Ted's character is adrift now (even more than the show itself is adrift). The arc with his wife was use sparingly before, and that felt right, because we simply aren't invested in it to the degree that they're showing it. This might be the weirdest single part of the show for me; I kept thinking "why are we supposed to be invested in this kid so much when we know almost nothing about him or really any of his family". It's bizarre.

And I don't want to be anti-woke or anything, I appreciate the messages including the locker room scene, but it feels so performative at this point. Also, having that scene take place in the locker room, while making sense in a vacuum (guys- locker room talk- I get it) placing that segment in the locker room just reminds everyone how they don't care about football anymore in the show.

Maybe this is a hot take but I actually like that Ted is a sideshow now, because frankly he's just a poorly developed, bad character. Maybe that's a hot take? But it's true, everything about him just feels so... surface level.

I was watching this week's episode with the wife last night and realized all of a sudden that I no longer enjoy much of the show.

You know what it is? The show is breaking the 4th wall. It's so self aware of itself that it's become some kind of, like... I don't know how to explain it actually but it feels like the show is no longer even trying to be a cohesive product. It's become this self referential, meta production that is more angled towards preachy mini-stories than anything else.

It's honestly making me wonder if this show always sucked. Maybe it was just the right fit at the right time during Covid when we were all cooped up and needed something positive. But this season (and to some extent last season) is really showing that the show is incredibly shallow. At the end of the day there is very, very little going on here of note. And it's a shame.

Oh well, season 1 was good imo. And some parts of season 2 were also fun.

As an aside, as someone who grew up in Silicon Valley and have close ties to Apple itself, I am keenly aware that this show is up its own rear end in a way that summarizes why everyone hates silicon valley and tech in general.

The show is a victim of its own success in a way that feels very on brand for silicon valley as a whole. It's like a friend who makes $450k at Apple now and drives a Ferrari and eats at fixed price Michelin places every weekend but he keeps assuring you that he's the same guy deep down. He's not the same guy, in the same way that this isn't the same show, and it's so much worse for it. The production stinks of way too big of a budget, and correspondingly, way too many voices in the room trying to fight for their particular brand of woke representation in a way that detonates the overall product.

They're so obsessed with packing in everyone's ideas and morals that they forgot it was an actual TV show.

The more I think about it, this show and its trajectory is literally everything you need to know about Silicon Valley. Through success and inflows of cash, it has destroyed its own premise. It is a incoherent, performatively woke but ultimately emotionally and mechanically shallow facsimile of its former self. Which has always been the problem with the valley and it's triggering af to see it happen in real time here.

Nybble posted:

The Love Hound bit floudering was funny and the text from Rupert does seem to be setting up the eventual departure of Nate, especially as Nate becomes more sure of himself in his regular life. THAT should have been the B-plot of the whole season, not “The (Bantr) Office”. And the name of the show is Ted Lasso, but this felt like the first episode all season that we got something substantial from his character.

I liked the Love Hound bit as well but, like many things in this show, it made me realize how weird the show handles individual character development. How does Nate know zero people in his club, still? And I get that's the joke? or I guess the joke is that if your boss is mean, you're also a bad person by extension? That's such a strange, somewhat anti-worker message.

It would be much more interesting and honestly, on brand for the show if West Ham was full of cool people and it was Rupert bringing down the club. It could have been about how one person at the top can ruin an entire organization, which is a feel good message that most people can emotionally relate to in 2023, in the same way that people related strongly to the emotional core of Season 1 at a time when we were stuck at home and sad. That's an interesting and more complex take on something that the show is desperate to paint as black and white, because they have zero interest in developing a single character in the entire organization despite it, broadly, being the main antagonist.

It makes me wonder if they set up Nate's arc with West Ham but Apple didn't like the workplace message of the employees unionizing or trying to improve the situation inside so they canned the whole arc essentially :angel: Anyways it just brought home for me how Nate's relationship to his club is so surface level as to not exist. And that's really the issue with the show; it's wide as an ocean and deep as a puddle.

It didn't have to be this way! Ironically, despite how slow the show feels as it over-runtimes episodes in an effort to progress 9 equally non-invested storylines, it's moving way, way too fast! This is a specific thing that I feel like no one talks about. All I hear from friends and whatnot is how slow the show is because it's running over an hour, and trying to cater to so much that it feels bloated and unwieldy.

But think about it; Nate's interactions with West Ham could have been an interesting departure that allows us to see not only what they're like as a team, but allow Nate the kind of slow growth that makes a show good and worth watching over several seasons. But they don't do that, and they never loving do that, and the show is so much worse for it. As a result, it always feels like the show is asking you to accept increasingly bizarre emotional connections for arcs and characters who just do not have the depth for us to care whatsoever. And to me that's not just a failure of writing- it comes off as incredibly cynical and manipulative imo. They're taking the viewers for fools thinking these undeveloped scenarios are going to make people invested. It makes me feel like a rube for actually enjoying the show on some level.

If Ted Lasso took it way slower, dropped 50% of its arcs (which is still a ton of arcs to have!) and spent not 3, but 5+ seasons developing those concepts, the show could have been incredible. Things that are glossed over, like the political intricacies of owning a football club, could have some room to breath. That's always been an ironic part of the show for me- for being a show about football, the writers are very clearly avoiding any attempt at making that interesting or relevant. It's "Ted and his merry band of misfits", that story could have been told absolutely anywhere and football is just a relatable medium. Which is fine in a vacuum but the longer the show runs, the more obvious it is that we know nothing about Richmond as an actual football club. That's true of everything in the show. Honestly we know very, very little about anything on this show, including Ted. And it makes the attempts at emotional payoff on the show miss the majority of the time, and in increasingly glaring ways.

For example we could have learned a lot more about Ted's family and his general life before going to Richmond, which would have made the current arc feel much more earned instead of being an incredibly shallow and thinly veiled attempt to suddenly get us to care about something that we don't. It's just not how humans work; we need more. Nate's relationship with Jade is bizarrely surface-level too and feels insanely awkward and random as a result. They were just like "it would be cool if the dorky guy became suave" without thinking of the actual implications of maneuvering the arc in that way, which is frankly the show in a nutshell at this point.

Basically in short, Ted Lasso was a show that was uniquely situated for the time and place it was conceived, and for that, it deserves credit. But the bones- the elements that the show is built on- are frankly, loving trash. It's not the kind of foundation you can build a 3-season show on. They seem to get that, so they're piledriving through conclusions to everyone's arcs and it's so, so hamfisted and weird.

RIP to Ted Lasso, a show that was in exactly the right place at exactly the right time like very few shows have ever been in the history of the medium. Now turned into a shambling zombie under the weight of its own success, but we can still appreciate what the show did when it was good. :cheers:

Taima fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 6, 2023

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
:yeah:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Here lies Ted Lasso

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
He never learned what offside is

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i mean ted lasso has been kinda shallow ever since the oil sponsor episode, while having man city feature prominently throughout

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Turd Lasso

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Looten Plunder posted:

nerdy virgin waterboy

Are you referring to the casual three-way in Amsterdam with the attractive couple virgin?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

manero posted:

Turd Lasso

Lurd Tasso.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Weirdly enough not exploring Ted's past in heavy heavy detail but through snippets worked really well in the early parts for me.

quote:

Nate's relationship with Jade is bizarrely surface-level too and feels insanely awkward and random as a result. They were just like "it would be cool if the dorky guy became suave" without thinking of the actual implications of maneuvering the arc in that way, which is frankly the show in a nutshell at this point.

Nate never became suave. He makes me think of bill from king of the hill, where the moment he gets a little ahead he becomes an arrogant dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Taima posted:

It also runs a little counter to what I perceive as some character's arcs; for example Jamie gets dripped out like crazy but his whole arc is coming back down to earth so... idk that just feels conflicting to me. They must be getting that paycheck off the fits though, so whatever.

At least he's down to earth enough to still use a variety of LYNX (or AXE in the USA) body spray products that he generously shares with his teammates when they ask for it.