Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
GF9 are doing a new terrain line seemingly aimed at Battletech

https://www.gf9.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=7680

https://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx?CategoryID=13873

Now, not cheap, but its interesting that they see enough of a market there to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HidaO-Win posted:

Now, not cheap, but its interesting that they see enough of a market there to do it.

Me and my LGS guy were just talking about Thunderhead studio yesterday. He's got a bunch of stls that I wonder if he's going to have to stop selling now

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sweet crap those are expensive. I’d rather CGL just release a full box of paper craft terrain and buildings.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Sweet crap those are expensive. I’d rather CGL just release a full box of paper craft terrain and buildings.

If you have a marketplace/local library/3d printer of your own

https://thunderhead-studio.com/

I really need to get back into printing things now that it's getting warmer

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Dr. Lunchables posted:

There's always Dropzone terrain - an entire 6x4 mat filled with paper buildings for :10bux:

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Len posted:

If you have a marketplace/local library/3d printer of your own

https://thunderhead-studio.com/

I really need to get back into printing things now that it's getting warmer

Cheers for the link, might try a print of one of the free samples later.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

HidaO-Win posted:

If those are about as big as I think they will be on the tabletop, they're not that pricey. GF9 always makes good stuff, I still have some old Mechwarrior:Dark Age terrain they made, first time I ever played a game using it I remember being blown away by how cool it all looked.

Alpha Strike wise I've been really liking the Mongrel/Grendel. It costs pricewise the same as an IS assault mech, but man does it move, and is hard to hit. I'm thinking of building a 300 pt AS force of 2 Adders (Both at skill 1), a Mongrel, a Vapor Eagle, and a Nova, maybe some Elementals to ride in on the Nova and Mongrel. I find Assaults in Alpha Strike are just too big of targets that go down before they can really play an important role. I'm sure if we played with variable damage rolls that would change quick though. If I have any more points left over I might spring for an Incubus as well, really like that little light guy.

Adder Prime (Skill 1) 48 pts
Adder Primer (Skill 1) 48 pts
Vapor Eagle/Goshawk (Skill 3) 49 pts
Mongrel Prime (Skill 3) 55 pts
Nova Prime (Skill 2) 57 pts
Elemental BA (Skill 3) 23 pts (Riding Mongrel)
Elemental BA (Skill 4) 19 pts (Riding Nova)

Total: 298 pts

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 30, 2023

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I accidentally posted this in the wrong Battletech thread, the video game one and not the tabletop one.

I finished this yesterday.

I am not going to paint another coconut crab thing, but one was fun.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
That 'Mech is beayootiful!! 12/10 would DFA

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Okay but what if you did a coconut King Crab?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Quick paint job today

Note if you follow camo tutorials and use basilicanum grey as your wash... bring it way down with contrast medium.

The camo basically got lost

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Basilicanum Gray is wildly variable.

Which is unfortunate. Some batches are good, others are a 50/50 mix of Apothecary White and Black Templar. You can tell which is which because the 50/50 mix settles out.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 4, 2023

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

drat, I genuinely can’t see a trace of the camo. I guess you could always add it back in again with a darker tone.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Very wraithy, me likey. Also nice job detailing the metal bits. Easy to skip those.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chainclaw posted:

Quick paint job today

Note if you follow camo tutorials and use basilicanum grey as your wash... bring it way down with contrast medium.

The camo basically got lost

At least it has a nice stippled effect?

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Marauder, my beloved...

Has anyone gotten eyes on the new Alpha Strike: Aces thing? If so, how easy do you think it would be to port into Battletech Classic?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Paranoid Dude posted:

Marauder, my beloved...

Has anyone gotten eyes on the new Alpha Strike: Aces thing? If so, how easy do you think it would be to port into Battletech Classic?

Not easy at all. BT has too many things you decide to do, AS just has "move " and "shoot" so you can fit it on a playing card.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Massive Humble Bundle of Battletech Fiction.

$18 gets you SIXTY battletech books (just about all the Legends books)

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...27038eea309e0d9

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Someone needs to make a Jinggau model that doesn't look like rear end.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

SirFozzie posted:

Massive Humble Bundle of Battletech Fiction.

$18 gets you SIXTY battletech books (just about all the Legends books)

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...27038eea309e0d9

How many of those are any good?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wolves on the Border
Heir to the Dragon
The one chapter of Malicious Intent where Vlad is trapped in a cockpit and realizes he's the main character of the universe. Also his scrotum is described as "clenched in pain."

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Ok, I have been on a tear for the last year or so reading theough most of the old Battletech books and I now have Opinions.

The Victor Milan books are great fun, I actually like the Grey Death trilogy as a pulpy introduction to the setting, and the Jade Phoenix books do a good job of showing how the Clans function as a broken hosed-up system.

Part of this is my personal preference, but I think Battletech fiction is usually pretty good when it focuses on small conflicts or low-level characters, and is usually pretty bad when it tries to do epic space opera with a focus on royals and the setting's primary movers and shakers. I have come to really dislike most of the Stackpole books I've read, and I've started writing some reviews that I'll get around to posting someday.

To make a long story short, if the book's description involves a small mercenary company fighting against long odds, it will probably be at least readable. If its main character's surnames are Steiner, Allard, Davion, or any combination of the above, get ready for boring characters facing either cakewalks that showcase their genius, or frustrating unfair obstacles set up by their no-good very bad super evil enemies.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
That kind of makes sense though. The higher ups are pushing pieces around a table, the mercs are the ones actually doing stuff with the big stompy robots we're all here to see

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

FishFood posted:

Ok, I have been on a tear for the last year or so reading theough most of the old Battletech books and I now have Opinions.

The Victor Milan books are great fun, I actually like the Grey Death trilogy as a pulpy introduction to the setting, and the Jade Phoenix books do a good job of showing how the Clans function as a broken hosed-up system.

Part of this is my personal preference, but I think Battletech fiction is usually pretty good when it focuses on small conflicts or low-level characters, and is usually pretty bad when it tries to do epic space opera with a focus on royals and the setting's primary movers and shakers. I have come to really dislike most of the Stackpole books I've read, and I've started writing some reviews that I'll get around to posting someday.

To make a long story short, if the book's description involves a small mercenary company fighting against long odds, it will probably be at least readable. If its main character's surnames are Steiner, Allard, Davion, or any combination of the above, get ready for boring characters facing either cakewalks that showcase their genius, or frustrating unfair obstacles set up by their no-good very bad super evil enemies.

Seconding the Victor Milan books. He is sorely missed.

Double Blind is a good book. Avoids the Steiner/Allard/Davion big bags and actually fleshes out Sun Tzu as an interesting character.

Gressman's books have good space battles.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Saint Celestine posted:

Someone needs to make a Jinggau model that doesn't look like rear end.

My Capellan friend,

Please get in line, right behind fixing whatever is going on with the Thunder/Lightning’s and Ti Ts’ang’s feet

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Owlbear Camus posted:

How many of those are any good?
It works out at around €0.27 per novel. Every single one of them is good at that price.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

FishFood posted:

and is usually pretty bad when it tries to do epic space opera with a focus on royals

You can just say "Michael Stackpole is a bad writer"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I say it all the time. He should be legally barred from writing character dialogue ever again.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

more like slackpole

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

GD_American posted:

You can just say "Michael Stackpole is a bad writer"

I feel bad pinning it all on him but he's by far my least favorite author in the setting, and I feel crazy sometimes because he seems so beloved. I understand that he's foundational and his books are pretty frequently the big tentpole novels that propel the metaplot forward but his characters are just awful.

I've been reading the Twilight of the Clans books and I've enjoyed all of the series except for his two entries. Exodus Road was a fun setup and I really enjoyed the Clanner intrigue and the cool spy mission set on a jumpship. Pardoe might be a horrible chud now, but he was a solid pulp writer back in the day. Then there's Grave Covenants which was a slog but I got through it alright, despite the constant droning on about how honorable Victor is and how he's so cool for becoming an honorary samurai and all that poo poo.

I really liked Gressman's three books, they were tense and had fun mysteries with solid political and interpersonal drama. All the characters in Task Force Serpent are likable and I enjoyed the push-and-pull between the pragmatic reality of the mission and the desire to limit casualties to military targets. It brought up some interesting questions about how you attack an entirely militarized state and how you distinguish between military and civilian targets. Pretty good for genre fiction about giant robits fighting in space.

And then I got to Prince of Havoc and that book is a giant turd, just loving awful. There's a scene where Victor and his dumbass friends go over the assassination of Morgan Hasek-Davion and poo poo on and "debunk" the investigation that happened in Gressman's book and it made my jaw hit the floor. It's entirely some dumb technobabble about how it went down slightly differently than what was presented, and as far as I can tell the scene only exists to show how much smarter and betterer the Victorfriends are than everyone else. It sucks.

The book then gets to the Great Refusal itself which was simultaneously too brief and also seemed to go on forever. The designated hero factions win or tie and Victor makes a big dumb smug speech to the Clans who are amazed by him and then he goes home and *gasp* his evil no good sister has stolen his kingdom offscreen! Katrina is an awful villain, I hate how one-dimensional she is, I hate how she's the bad politician scheming against the honorable warrior, I just hate it.

The book then has a few decent spy chapters that I actually like but I still haven't bothered to finish it. Blech.

Thurston's two entries are odd inclusions in the series that only loosely tie into the rest. I haven't read Falcon Rising yet, but Freebirth is a fun diversion with lots of Jade Falcon weirdness and more explorations of the Clans' Kafkaesque insanity he's really good at.

I didn't mean to turn this post into an impromptu review of the series, but that's what happened and I'm sticking by it.

FishFood fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 5, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Falcon rising has nothing to do with anything in the rest of the series and is only numbered as one of the series to trick people into buying it. It doesn't even have the excuse of his other book in the series where ostensibly we were seeing the destination of the journey. gently caress that book.

FishFood posted:

I feel bad pinning it all on him but he's by far my least favorite author in the setting, and I feel crazy sometimes because he seems so beloved. I understand that he's foundational and his books are pretty frequently the big tentpole novels that propel the metaplot forward but his characters are just awful.

There's a large group of fans who only read the books to know What Happens Next and actual craftsmanship doesn't matter. Combine that with how most people read his stuff when they were calling novels "chapter books" and don't actually reexamine them as an adult, you get a Stackpole fan.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 5, 2023

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Defiance Industries posted:

There's a large group of fans who only read the books to know What Happens Next and actual craftsmanship doesn't matter. Combine that with how most people read his stuff when they were calling novels "chapter books" and don't actually reexamine them as an adult, you get a Stackpole fan.

There's a sizable number of guys in my local scene who are honest-to-god VSD fans and are actively angry at the extremely fictional character Katrina Steiner and it boggles my mind. Like, I get mad at Stackpole when I read Katrina chapters because I'm being so blatantly and clumsily manipulated, but these guys just lap it up. It makes me feel insane. Most of my friends are all people who think a lot about media and storytelling and so encountering such uncritical consumption in the wild has been a bit of a shock.

There are all these newbies coming in and I hear people recommend the Warrior Trilogy and poo poo and I just want to scream "No!"

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Can I run named variants of mechs in lists or is that something you usually ask your opponent beforehand?

Fighting a clan list again, and I want to bust out the NSR-9J Nightstar Brubaker.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah I can't imagine you'd think that's a good way to get into the universe. Besides being really dated and having a lot of flat characters it's also just not an interesting story. The biggest guy beats up the smallest guy, he wins the whole time and the big final reveal is that the big guy was in even less danger than we previously thought. RIVETING.

Saint Celestine posted:

Can I run named variants of mechs in lists or is that something you usually ask your opponent beforehand?

Fighting a clan list again, and I want to bust out the NSR-9J Nightstar Brubaker.

Depends on the type of game you're playing. If you are playing a game that's balanced just by BV it's fine. If you're playing a game where your opponent is bringing a Faction X, 3150 force I would say it's poor form.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 5, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I mean eventually you have to read the Warrior Trilogy if you're getting into the setting, because they're the foundation of so much. But it's by no means good.

I want to read a trilogy from the Liao side

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Saint Celestine posted:

If you're going to blow 2,838 BV on a glass cannon that dies from losing a side torso (Inner Sphere XL Engine) to a Gauss Rifle explosion (Total lack of CASE which comes default on Clan 'Mechs) then you might as well take a Dire Wolf A.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

GD_American posted:

I mean eventually you have to read the Warrior Trilogy if you're getting into the setting, because they're the foundation of so much. But it's by no means good.

I want to read a trilogy from the Liao side

you'll find i don't have to read any of the books at all, actually

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

GD_American posted:

I mean eventually you have to read the Warrior Trilogy if you're getting into the setting, because they're the foundation of so much.

no

YOU should go read some CGL sourcebooks

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

no

YOU should go read some CGL sourcebooks

I've got the original House books sitting in my bathroom reading pile, sonny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

If you're going to blow 2,838 BV on a glass cannon that dies from losing a side torso (Inner Sphere XL Engine) to a Gauss Rifle explosion (Total lack of CASE which comes default on Clan 'Mechs) then you might as well take a Dire Wolf A.

:(

I am bad at building lists.

What should I be focusing on for a 10k list vs clans?