Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
He's saying it'll take more than just good games to turn it around not that they'll never try to make a good game again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Seltzer posted:

Spoil this you knob. Also the whole point is its not following every games formula. ffs

Fine, but it's not exactly a secret when most media outlets have already said the same.

There's also a large line between "not following the formula" and "rug pull at the last minute". Don't get me wrong, I like the game, it just isn't better because it's different in that way.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

He's saying Xbox can't compete with Nintendo or Sony by chasing their strategies, which is totally correct. Sony and Nintendo don't even compete directly, they have different strengths and aim for different (if overlapping) audiences and find success on their own terms. MS has to compete on their own strengths, that's the point he's getting at. Game pass is an example of that approach and it's been really successful obviously. But it needs a steady drip of content, including day-1 AAA releases, and MS is kinda struggling there.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

mem posted:

Did the head of xbox really just say we can't compete with Nintendo or Sony? They should replace him with someone who wants to compete in the console market. Pretty brazen to let your console players know they are second class citizens because ms is just focusing on disrupting the industry or whatever.

We have a PS5 and switch in the house and it still kind of pisses me off to hear that. I know he's having a rough week but good lord.

loling at you.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I'm happy for you - it is a comedy forum after all.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
xbox is not in the consoles market, they are in the subscriptions market

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

laughing remembering the existence of adam sessler, a guy who vehemently backed and did media for both Evolve and Friday The 13th. Guy is like the oracle of delphi when it comes to picking a project that will collapse hilariously.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

mem posted:

Did the head of xbox really just say we can't compete with Nintendo or Sony? They should replace him with someone who wants to compete in the console market. Pretty brazen to let your console players know they are second class citizens because ms is just focusing on disrupting the industry or whatever.

We have a PS5 and switch in the house and it still kind of pisses me off to hear that. I know he's having a rough week but good lord.

Jim Ryan said that if PlayStation loses COD they wouldn't be able to fund first party games any more or compete with Xbox lol

DLC Inc posted:

laughing remembering the existence of adam sessler, a guy who vehemently backed and did media for both Evolve and Friday The 13th. Guy is like the oracle of delphi when it comes to picking a project that will collapse hilariously.

I really liked Evolve. I know the DLC and microtransaction stuff turned people off (including me, I never bought the game because of all the bad press so it seemed like it would be dead on launch) but I had a lot of fun playing the beta/demo and I think that it was a really well designed and made game that was unfortunately overshadowed by some very greedy microtransactions that I don't think were even the developers fault.

Might have also just been too niche as well though. I just liked it a lot because it was pretty much the perfect Predator game and that map with a jungle section and rain at night was stupidly fun to play on.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think if MS does get actiblizz they should keep cod on playstation but make it so their aim assist is disabled and they just get absolutely wrecked

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

They should make it so that at the end of every multiplayer match, regardless of which team is victorious, it says that Xbox wins

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SUNKOS posted:

They should make it so that at the end of every multiplayer match, regardless of which team is victorious, it says that Xbox wins

*nods*

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'm enjoying my XBSX way more than I enjoyed my PS4 so keep on keepin' on imo. And release Forza already.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I think it’s telling the only games Microsoft can make with any regularity are sim games. I’m guessing this is because classic programming and devops bullshit works when your target is just fidelity. When you need creative decisions and imaginative, thoughtful design suddenly the entire programming mechanism is fighting against you because it’s less about closing sprints and more about a blend of art and science and Microsoft’s only artists are video editors making Surface sizzle reels.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Sony can "dominate the market" of my balls in their mouth

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

You know it kills John to go in on Arkane lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aXo7ZamM04

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It would seem this game is a real "credfall" for the sterling reputation of Arkane Studios!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Arkan't make a good game since prey

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

AndrewP posted:

You know it kills John to go in on Arkane lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aXo7ZamM04

he say that theres a pattern of unreal open world games with problems, so this one is another among them. with the exception being unreal 5.

well see, also discussions about engines is complicated, the responsabilities of the engine and the game devs are blurry has hell and you never know how much attribute to one of the other

the part where textures takes 22 seconds is tough to look, somewhere in the world the person responsible for this is grinding his teeth in a audible way

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

If you come across anything low-res, hit the menu button then exit out and the textures are high-res lol

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

DLC Inc posted:

Friday the 13th is GOATed. I still play it with my friends. If it weren't for the dumb lawsuit there would have been so much more cool content

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Like, the game isn't great but the "discourse" or whatever has been pretty pathetic with this game, or maybe just gaming in general lately. I don't know what point I'm trying to make but seeing stuff like this makes me sad.

https://twitter.com/Wonder_Phoenix/status/1654164861230645254?t=MmawITKJ4bcCu0sWnJbtaw&s=19

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Are that many people happy that Redfall didn't work out? I figured it would be kind of weak from the gameplay trailer but I wasn't *happy* about it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

you can be happy it sends another message to publishers about the expected response to live service 4 player coop looter shooting in tyool 2023

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Probably only a handful, but unfortunately, the meanest ones are the ones that stick out most. Social media is poison.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
I was thinking I'd still like it if the stealth was fun, but there's no point because it's just so empty. Oh well.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I think it’s telling the only games Microsoft can make with any regularity are sim games. I’m guessing this is because classic programming and devops bullshit works when your target is just fidelity. When you need creative decisions and imaginative, thoughtful design suddenly the entire programming mechanism is fighting against you because it’s less about closing sprints and more about a blend of art and science and Microsoft’s only artists are video editors making Surface sizzle reels.

lol, the most popular games are bland dog poo poo that are pretty much entirety surface level sizzle reels. This goes for all platforms. Ms actualy brought quite a few studios known for being on the more artsy side of thing, and have been known for being very hands off.

If the Activision purchase went through that actually would of been the closet to what you're talking about. Them and EA.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It’s a tentpole AAA game released in an almost shockingly terrible state. It’s a full blown spectacle at this point.

Sucks because I like Good Arkane. When Deathloop didn’t land for me I thought maybe it was just a matter of taste but this one objectively blows

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ruffian Price posted:

you can be happy it sends another message to publishers about the expected response to live service 4 player coop looter shooting in tyool 2023

Isn't that what Dead Island 2 is? Everyone seems to have had a really positive reaction to that, I think? Haven't played it but caught some gameplay on a Twitch stream and was really impressed with how realistic the interiors looked. The system they developed for tearing apart zombies is really impressive tech as well. There's definitely still a market out there for people that like co-op shenanigans in that style imo and from what I saw it seemed really fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

Like, the game isn't great but the "discourse" or whatever has been pretty pathetic with this game, or maybe just gaming in general lately. I don't know what point I'm trying to make but seeing stuff like this makes me sad.

https://twitter.com/Wonder_Phoenix/status/1654164861230645254?t=MmawITKJ4bcCu0sWnJbtaw&s=19

I think people, especially at this moment in time, are pretty geared up to be annoyed/angry at multiplayer-focus loot games because they have pretty much all turned out to be crappy and predatory and have devoured some popular franchises or studios. They had their moment in the sun but now all we're getting is crap fad-chasers long after the fad has died.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It sucks that Redfall isnt good, and I really know gently caress all about game development, but it also doesnt seem like it’s the fault of the people who actually made the game. Leadership that directed what the artists and programmers did, are who are to blame.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

“How was work honey?”
“Tough, the boss wants more writing on the cave walls and we’re all out of ideas”

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ColdPie posted:

Probably only a handful, but unfortunately, the meanest ones are the ones that stick out most. Social media is poison.

To me "peers, friends and colleagues" doesn't sound like randos online doing what they do.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

When I saw the thread title before being caught up on posts I was briefly excited thinking that Cave were rereleasing all their shmups on Xbox and I feel very owned

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I know there's a lot of baffling design decisions in Redfall, but now that I'm over halfway through I think the absolutely most baffling thing is that the game is separated into 2 different maps that are functionally exactly the same. Its like they made two entirely different games using the same exact same outline and then just put them together.

The Firehouse in the first part and the Marina in the second part have the exact same functions, like 3 people to buy poo poo from. And the Big Bads are different but presented in pretty much the exact same way with them jabbering at you from speakers or something and their cult roaming around. Except in the 2nd part of the game there's TWO of them instead of the Hollow Man.

It's so weird.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

AndrewP posted:

It’s a tentpole AAA game released in an almost shockingly terrible state. It’s a full blown spectacle at this point.

Sucks because I like Good Arkane. When Deathloop didn’t land for me I thought maybe it was just a matter of taste but this one objectively blows

It was fun while it lasted, Arkane.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

the creativity of storygames by sony about being a SAD DAD so you can cry.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sorry your game sucks donkey balls.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Tankbuster posted:

the creativity of storygames by sony about being a SAD DAD so you can cry.

Better than hoorah halo guy or hoorah gears guy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wiltsghost posted:

idk about peers but at least in terms of general gamers making fun of the game, they did charge $70 for it. i think that it is okay for people to have some resentment for being sold an unfinished and broken product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I am a dad and I am sad! This is somehow deep writing and the apex of creativity.