Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

There really is someone for everyone I guess, and yeah maybe Asahi's "charm point" is that he's just a little poo poo surrounded by figures of titanic power that he can neither compare to or contest in any real way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FuturePastNow posted:

I consider Asahi a comical character just for that scene where he leans in to try to intimidate you. Maybe it's not funny if you're close to him in size but it's hilarious if you're much bigger or smaller

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Doomykins posted:

But then again humans are never very good at grey morality when keeping absolute score cards is so much easier and satisfying.

Checking cosmic scorecards is very common and also very dumb. As well as demanding 1:1 parallels between all the characters and that all arcs hit the same beats and land in the same place. It's boring if nothing else.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Actually Aurum Vale is good

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Asahi attempting to give a menacing glare to my roe's nipples was definitely a high point of that cutscene.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Asahi is a tiny, spiteful man and while I do not find him sexy I respect a born hater of such dedication.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Asahi would be an incredible poster

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tekopo posted:

Asahi would be an incredible poster

Repeated probations for his weird Zenos fetish effortposting in unrelated threads

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Anime History has shown us that crimes committed by a serious person are worse than the same crimes commited by a zany person.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pwnstar posted:

Anime History has shown us that crimes committed by a serious person are worse than the same crimes commited by a zany person.

https://youtu.be/CyZoe-r9qb0

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

But elsewhere it's really noticeable, and it's hardly an FFXIV thing. There's a couple examples when you start looking around (obviously by the endgame the most obvious is Emet and Venat,

Cleretic outside of the OF I have seen more posts being weird and stretching plot beats or getting mad about people liking the former just from you personally than I have seen about the latter in total. Yeah there are gamers weird about women in this game like there are in every game but I think you're letting personal biases and selective memory to make this point extrapolated to the fandom at large.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

I skipped majority of the games cutscenes, but that's not going to stop me from complaining about the story not making sense!

Come on now I didn't say that. I copped to not being properly informed and stated my perception of things, clearly asking to be told otherwise. Because under my incorrect gloss-over understanding of the story, I saw a difference between Fordola helping the actual bunch of assholes Garlean Empire (believed war against them by the hero side Ala Mhigans is legitimate) and hypothetical Fordelfa helping the dragons (believed war against them by the "hero side" elves is RaHoWa bullshit engineered for social control).

I am a chronic skipper who could tell the thread about lots of things I don't really get but I don't wanna be a main character type here or get dunked on even deservedly. I'll take the "lmao rip" I deserved

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SuperKlaus posted:

Come on now I didn't say that. I copped to not being properly informed and stated my perception of things, clearly asking to be told otherwise. Because under my incorrect gloss-over understanding of the story, I saw a difference between Fordola helping the actual bunch of assholes Garlean Empire (believed war against them by the hero side Ala Mhigans is legitimate) and hypothetical Fordelfa helping the dragons (believed war against them by the "hero side" elves is RaHoWa bullshit engineered for social control).

I am a chronic skipper who could tell the thread about lots of things I don't really get but I don't wanna be a main character type here or get dunked on even deservedly. I'll take the "lmao rip" I deserved

That hypothetical fordelfa wasn't hypothetical, it was the whole cult of Shiva transforming themselves into dragons to fight the Ishgardians in an attempt to stop the war (By killing the ishgardians). Lady Iceheart eventually wants to go meet with big H to try and stop the war with his aid but before that her whole following was turning into the other side of the war to then fight the ishgardians.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Firebert posted:

Actually Aurum Vale is good

aurum vale became lovely when they gave coincounter tells. do not attempt to change my mind on this for it is futile

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

World War Mammories posted:

aurum vale became lovely when they gave coincounter tells. do not attempt to change my mind on this for it is futile

Yeah they ruined it but it was inherently a good dungeon until everyone cried and the devs decided tanks wouldn't have to learn to LOS pull stuff in dungeons anymore

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Justice for Cave Toad 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ImpAtom posted:

Some people seem to think redemption is invalid if you ever experience a moment of comfort or happiness.

No, I think it's invalid if you don't show self-awareness of the error. Fordola got that. Emet got that (in a way, not for all his sins, and after the point where people started giving him credit for it), Nero didn't, and Shadowhunter is in a weird place. The STORY has the necessary parts, but since he's played so stonefaced any recognition on his part is internal. Revenge against the Ascians, anger at others for using his ideals to be cruel, despair that his children are following his lessons in ways that will destroy them, it's all deflection away from himself and we can either read that as growth on his part or as someone who's still the patriarchal fascist they used to be.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Bruceski posted:

No, I think it's invalid if you don't show self-awareness of the error. Fordola got that. Emet got that (in a way, not for all his sins, and after the point where people started giving him credit for it), Nero didn't, and Shadowhunter is in a weird place. The STORY has the necessary parts, but since he's played so stonefaced any recognition on his part is internal. Revenge against the Ascians, anger at others for using his ideals to be cruel, despair that his children are following his lessons in ways that will destroy them, it's all deflection away from himself and we can either read that as growth on his part or as someone who's still the patriarchal fascist they used to be.

I don't think I read it as him being a patriarchal fascist, at all, frankly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tacos

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Aren't there people just subscribed for the mahjong

I respect it tbh

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Aren't there people just subscribed for the mahjong

I respect it tbh

You can play as much mahjong as you want on the free trial, so you don't even need to subscribe

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah funnily enough FFXIV is actually a really good online Majjong platform apparently.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is FFXIV still the best mahjong client?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

depends how much of a traditionalist you are. there's mahjong soul and stuff but those have optional helper features in the lower levels of ranked play. they get turned off at higher ranks but still. ff14s appeal is that the mahjong is fairly low frills.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't know if it's any better on the US servers but on Shiva it takes too long to find a match and you seem to run into the same 5 people a lot

tenhou for life!!

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Bruceski posted:

There was an opportunity to have disillusioned taciturn Gaius on one side and basically have a true believer Prae Gaius on the other, and have Gaius directly confront the bullshit he used to spout and the things the empire was doing. Instead we got the Milk Man cartoon character. Honestly Werlyt should've been leveled by the shockwaves from the mood whiplash in that content.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Exactly, if you don't imagine that every time you think of Asahi, you're playing this game wrong

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I think of this usually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxoV8J6NW5Q

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
My WoL is a min height lady Xaela so I have to imagine that Asahi felt smug he could actually loom over me until I yanked him down by the collar and gave him a "lissen here u little poo poo" dressing down.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Doomykins posted:

My WoL is a min height lady Xaela so I have to imagine that Asahi felt smug he could actually loom over me until I yanked him down by the collar and gave him a "lissen here u little poo poo" dressing down.

The Navy SEAL copypasta, except it's actually a dramatic understatement of kill count

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The most unrealistic part of that scene was my roe not punting that man off a cliff

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

At that point Asahi hadn't actually done anything actionable yet. He just talked a big, menacing game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There was also the whole hostage negotiation thing where our allies may not have taken it too kindly if we killed the deal outright by icing the diplomatic representative.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I feel like the game handled it in a way that made sense. I was bracing for a big stupid "oh no, I can't tell my allies about this psycho" miscommunication plot, but instead the WoL tells everyone what happened, and everyone agrees dude is a psycho to watch closely but that we need to cooperate until the hostages are safe, which is reasonable!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Truth be told I forgot about the hostages. I just think that being Huge I should be able to throw more NPCs out windows/off cliffs

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

YggiDee posted:

Truth be told I forgot about the hostages. I just think that being Huge I should be able to throw more NPCs out windows/off cliffs

Hey, potatos could do that too with a running headbutt!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

Hey, potatos could do that too with a running headbutt!

I don't know if he takes suggestions from his Patreons, but I'd love to see BeneG. animate this…

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

YggiDee posted:

Someday throwing a person through a window will be the right thing to do and I'm willing to be patient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, not gonna lie, an eventual tense talking scene where the WoL suddenly realizes that, no, there really isn't any good reason not to throw down and just goes for it would be pretty cathartic. Bonus points for the WoL glancing at Alphinaud/Aymeric/the diplomatic NPC in the scene and just getting a little "yeah, take out the trash" nod.