Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
One of the craziest dark souls moments is the milfanito trapped at the top of castle drangleic with the... guy locking the cage. And then ofc the way you unlock the cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Real heroes keep the keyblade to cosplay as Sora

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Real heroes keep the keyblade to cosplay as Sora

Also because it does ludicrous damage on counter-hits (not crits, hitting while the opponent is in an attack animation).

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I have never used a strategy for the Royal Rat Auhority. Just YOLO rush to kill that small rats before Rat-Sif joins the fight. Same thing with Champions Gravetender in DS3.

Skeleton Lords is a fun fight, but not a hard one. Especially if you bring a claymore or zweihander and mow the skeletons down in droves.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Paracelsus posted:

Estus Flask Shard ✅
Fire Seed ✅
Sunlight Blade ✅
A door to come back to later ❓
Fire Tempest ❌
Red Iron Twinblade ✅
Homing Crystal Soulmass ✅
Manslayer (poison katana) ❌

Not an item, but if you're out of effigies and rescued all/didn't kill any Milfanito, there's a shrine towards the end you can pray at to restore your humanity.
Looking good, grabbed all the important things. Thanks!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I upgraded my manslayer and poison-infused it, it's situationally useful when there's some bastard who just needs to be poisoned to death.

Just got through the majority of brume tower but needed help to take down the fume knight, I'm terrible at dodging his second phase sword. Sir Alonne's up next.
I think the enemies that gave me the most trouble there were the floating posessed armours. I'm able to stagger them with a couple of claymore hits, but if I go for a third in my combo they break out of it and smash half my health off with a combo that I don't get a free recovery from. Most other fights are fine but these assholes feel like they don't play by the same rules as everyone else and just get a free poise refill mid-beatdown.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Crazy Achmed posted:

I upgraded my manslayer and poison-infused it, it's situationally useful when there's some bastard who just needs to be poisoned to death.
:eng101: Dark Fog

Why it's going splendid, thank you for asking, how are you holding up?

Oh... well then. Good luck, I'll remember you forever, Lucille.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

giZm posted:

:argh:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Crazy Achmed posted:

Just got through the majority of brume tower but needed help to take down the fume knight, I'm terrible at dodging his second phase sword.

Got some good advice earlier here:

NGDBSS posted:

To clarify/expand on what Mr Dog said previously, it's generally easier to not have to switch modes against the Fume Knight by equipping Velstadt's Helm as the host. If you do so he instead just goes straight to phase 2, with the following four attacks:
-A (relatively) quick multi-hit combo. Dodge away from this.
-A telegraphed point-blank AoE. Dodge or run away from this, including the dark fireballs that it releases after the initial burst.
-A slow fiery sweep of his sword. Learn how to dodge under this to his your left, then smack him in the rear end once (or twice with a really fast weapon).
-A charging stab. Learn how to dodge towards him (effectively ducking under the sword), then smack him in the face once.

I used to have a hell of a lot of trouble with the Fume Knight, and hated him for having so much health. But then I took him apart as above, and with this strategy he's pretty easy. Just make sure not to stay in his face; by doing so you'll discourage him from using the combo (which is bad for counterattacking) and towards the charge (which is good for counterattacking). A lot of the bosses have some optimal range that encourages a particularly helpful distribution of attacks, but perhaps none more so than the Fume Knight (play keep-away!) and Sir Alonne (get in his face). (The Ancient Dragon doesn't loving count; he's a bonus boss.)

I'd like to add that Fume Knight telegraphs his moves, and since it's kind of a small moveset you can learn the signals. He also gives you very small openings for chugging estus. When he is just about to finish a long combo, start chugging. That will give you time to dodge the next one and retaliate.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

giZm posted:

:mad:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Speaking of ban worthy offenses: loving Benhart of Jugo's AI
Had to burn two Ascetics because I managed to not only miss his sign at Brightstone Cove Tseldora, but also at King's Way for Mirrorboss. In Brightstone Cove he fell off the cliff near the boulders/peasants not once but TWICE, then proceeded to get stuck on the spiders instead of joining the boss, although technically he survived I suppose. And for Mirrorboss he just stood there, probably gazing at his family heirloom's reflection, that oaf.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

giZm posted:

Lucatiel was remembered. In DS3 you can get her mask by trading with the crows.

"Mask attached to a ceremonial hat.

A Hollow once fought valiantly with this mask, but feared the fading of her self, and implored a comrade remember her name.

Perhaps that is why this gentleman's mask is named after a woman."

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

Lucatiel was remembered.

Her name's Lucille dude.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
"How much can one mask cost, Michael? 10 souls?"

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

Lucatiel was remembered. In DS3 you can get her mask by trading with the crows.
The DS3 Hollowslayer is also modelled after Laramy's sword, with basically the same moveset.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

I have never used a strategy for the Royal Rat Auhority. Just YOLO rush to kill that small rats before Rat-Sif joins the fight. Same thing with Champions Gravetender in DS3.

Skeleton Lords is a fun fight, but not a hard one. Especially if you bring a claymore or zweihander and mow the skeletons down in droves.

feel like a big reason skeleton lords isn't that rough is that bonewheels are a hell of a lot less threatening than in ds1.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

lol Veeg not taking hostages

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Did I actually miss two bonfires in the castle or are these for later on?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

giZm posted:

Both are hidden but could be found now.

one quite close to King’s Gate behind a door and down a hole
another behind a false wall in the outdoor section

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

giZm posted:

One is just a hidden bonfire on the path to Nashandra, and the other is accessed from the room with all the doors and the soul absorbing doors. This one had a special NPC nearby which gates a hidden boss.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Found them, thanks. Aldia's Keep is missing the 2nd bonfire as well, but I'm not going back there anyway. Next up: all the dragons!

FishMcCool posted:

This one had a special NPC nearby which gates a hidden boss.
I'm going to have to beat Darkstalker this run as well, goddamn. So many firsts.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I did my first playthrough of DS3 as Lucatiel, definitely one of the best Souls side characters.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Lucatiel is the best, much like Dark Souls 2.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Best at getting her rear end mulched by The Rotten when he has 1hp left. Never completed her story because of her suicidal to the point of comedy ai

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

One of the craziest dark souls moments is the milfanito trapped at the top of castle drangleic with the... guy locking the cage. And then ofc the way you unlock the cage.

yeah it's up there with the tree that you whip to repair your armor

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Dear diary,

Today I visited the dragons!

Staff on site was very cordial, I left a 5 star review on Yelp.

Also Benhart finally gave up and handed me his stuff.

And some other dude I've never met before bequeathed me his helmet for some reason. Cool.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Game is cool and it owns that some of the things like this

Rubellavator posted:

yeah it's up there with the tree that you whip to repair your armor

sound like schoolyard bullshit you don't believe, but no it's actually there

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

giZm posted:

:eng101: Dark Fog

Why it's going splendid, thank you for asking, how are you holding up?

Mmmm..? Odd, I can't seem to recall her name. Oh well, I'm sure it will come to me in time.

Say, how did I get here anyway? Ha ha ha ha....

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Do you like maps? I've got a cool map to show you.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

This is a fun challenge run. Baron's Castle beats all DS2 bosses in unneccesarily complicated ways, and shows off glitches and weirdness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjpSvrMkTKg

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Gaius Marius posted:

Best at getting her rear end mulched by The Rotten when he has 1hp left. Never completed her story because of her suicidal to the point of comedy ai

my friend, back in the early days of DS2, when Faith was strong and the Shrine of Amana was full of tactical heat-seeking missiles, I summoned Lucille for the Smelter, went into the fog door three feet away from the summon sign, and a few seconds later she apparently fell off the loving ledge into lava and died.

Also her HP and defense was a lot lower.

Yeah I never finished her quest.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Can we get a title change?

Dark Souls II - I'll remember you forever, Lucille.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

axolotl farmer posted:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

axolotl farmer posted:

Do it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

Dark Souls II - I'll remember you forever, Lu... hmm... you.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Her?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

rip

First of all, nobody likes dragons, so Sinh goes on the backburner for being stupid. The last Giant Soul for Vendrick is again a dragon, so how about those Smelter Wedges? I heard they were 1 short, could one Bonfire Ascetic to get more? Also any way of restocking the traders in Majula?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

giZm posted:

rip

First of all, nobody likes dragons, so Sinh goes on the backburner for being stupid. The last Giant Soul for Vendrick is again a dragon, so how about those Smelter Wedges? I heard they were 1 short, could one Bonfire Ascetic to get more? Also any way of restocking the traders in Majula?

Sinh is my favourite dragon in the series. It's just a cool fight with a good balance of air vs ground making it feel like you're actually fighting a dragon and not a giant lizard, the arena is super scenic, and Sinh itself looks awesome with that spear still in. The giant drake in the sanctum is just a bad fight though.

Regarding wedges, can't remember if there's one missing or if the last one is behind Fume Knight, but it shouldn't be a big deal at any rate unless you've already been overzealous. There are plenty of statues that are just a minor inconvenience and that you can just ignore, such as the one at the top of the tower for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah it's not "missing", but you have to fight a boss for the last one, a boss that wants you to still have wedges, so it's recommended to chill it with the staking. Don't burn Ascetics - wouldn't work anyway!