Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah the Great Plateau I think is getting a boost because it was everyone's first time playing the game, you get all the main toys, and it's a safe place to dick around and experiment with the stuff you'll be doing for rest of the game. I was always eager to leave plateau ASAP. In ToTK seemed.to flow much faster to getting the shrines and getting the gently caress out so you can start to play for real. This game is also very much a sequel, someone could play it as their first but it's built around people having beaten BotW and looking for new things to do or combine.

The ice shrine in BotW was much more annoying to get to. In ToTK I got really close to the shrine and didn't even need to worry about cold of I didn't want to. Just made myself a little log bridge to shimmy up from some bonus area I explored and led right up to the shrine.

It was also fun making little carts to glide in the rails, "oh it's that sorta game" moments abound. I had a huge grin and was having a fantastic time the entire island and intro and I'm one of the most negative people I can imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Shabadu posted:

These are fun little open ended puzzles.
find a way to shade the thorns blocking the door from the rain and then Apply Fire

Hmm i did this, I have one going right at the entrance after covering it with a structure and its not doing anything to them. I also lit a fire under a covered area where thorns were and it didnt burn them either.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Try ust covering the Just entrance, I used arrows + fruit to deliver the payload.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Shabadu posted:

Try ust covering the Just entrance, I used arrows + fruit to deliver the payload.

Thanks, had to make a different structure and it worked

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shabadu posted:

One nice bit about that is if you find a good weapon in a chest, you can just choose to replace your worst weapon/shield what have you instead of closing, opening menu, dropping garbage, and then reopening chest. Dropping from the hot swap is also pretty dope.

Oh yeah, this was a great quality of life thing.

edit: And the dropping from hot swap is also kind of necessary for the Fuse ability (since as far as I can tell there's no way to fuse directly from the menu and you have to drop the item on the ground first).

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

9 times out of ten i'm fusing from an item that dropped on the ground after something died, or i'm fusing an arrow from the hot menu you can bring up when you shoot. The hot menu for arrows is pretty good when you sort by Most Used, i'm mostly fusing fire and bright fruits, bomb flowers, various ChuChu jellies and Keese Eyes.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

20 hours in, i'm gonna say it... better than Elden Ring.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Better world exploration. Combat is good but not Elden Ring engaging. So far it's been either I kill stuff fast and easy or it's tough stuff and I die in one hit because my weapon doesn't allow shield and I didn't notice in time.

Really they should team up and hold hands and kiss because they are both flirting around the perfect combo. Throwing a little Death Stranding in here would be sick. They gave us towing harnesses and... So far haven't needed it once. I'd love to build some roads and long haul truck some poo poo across this world.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Barreft posted:

20 hours in, i'm gonna say it... better than Elden Ring.

I was on the fence until I put a rocket on my shield and well this is a good videogame

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Khanstant posted:

Better world exploration. Combat is good but not Elden Ring engaging. So far it's been either I kill stuff fast and easy or it's tough stuff and I die in one hit because my weapon doesn't allow shield and I didn't notice in time.

Really they should team up and hold hands and kiss because they are both flirting around the perfect combo. Throwing a little Death Stranding in here would be sick. They gave us towing harnesses and... So far haven't needed it once. I'd love to build some roads and long haul truck some poo poo across this world.

Have you beat any of the dungeons yet? Having Gust has been pretty essential for me

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Phoix posted:

I was on the fence until I put a rocket on my shield and well this is a good videogame

I'm only now doing the Zora dungeon area, I finished Rito's and holy poo poo that boss. I haven't seen Gerudo or the Gorons at all. I have so many quests. The world is so *alive*.

e: that said I'm dumb as hell and a lot of these goatse shrines puzzles are tough

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 5, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Barreft posted:

Have you beat any of the dungeons yet? Having Gust has been pretty essential for me

No not yet, I'm in rito village finally though so I will tonight I think.

Is system time just busted for this game on RyujinX? All amiibo say I can't use em them today, even thought I last used em almost 2 days ago by now. All my saves say exactly at 12:00. Which is also annoying bc it'll default to last auto save after hitting contnue even if I made a more recent manual save. I tried changing the time in the setting of RyujinX but it didn't matter, and I'm on latest version of ryu.

I am using an old system version 13, it worked when I last played a game and this game launched fine so I didn't bother updating firmware. Game is running well enough as it is I don't wanna poke the bear if it doesn't even matter. Anyone emulating on the latest firmware confirm if timekeeping works or not for your saves or amiibos? I just wanted some dang free sky arrows

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
It's going to be nice to know what the essentials to get first are. I know in my replays of BOTW, it's pretty much a beeline for Revali's Gale first before just wandering around.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I tried emulating it but it looked like poo poo so I’m playing it on a real switch

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So much regret doing that Divine beast after getting nearly every shrine. The other powers weren't so useful so I didn't expect the last one to be a super useful movement thing.

Saw there's a custom build of ryujin out that'll require you to purge your shader cache, but supposedly fixes the timekeeping and underground textures. Rock bug still there but at this point I've just accepted it as part of the general basic rock texture of the world lol.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

An Actual Princess posted:

I tried emulating it but it looked like poo poo so I’m playing it on a real switch

???

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 5, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Khanstant posted:

So much regret doing that Divine beast after getting nearly every shrine. The other powers weren't so useful so I didn't expect the last one to be a super useful movement thing.

Saw there's a custom build of ryujin out that'll require you to purge your shader cache, but supposedly fixes the timekeeping and underground textures. Rock bug still there but at this point I've just accepted it as part of the general basic rock texture of the world lol.

Whats the link to the build?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ytlaya posted:

edit: And the dropping from hot swap is also kind of necessary for the Fuse ability (since as far as I can tell there's no way to fuse directly from the menu and you have to drop the item on the ground first).

dropping from the hotmenu is also invaluable for dropping a glowseed while you're falling down a pitch black hole so you can actually see the ground and not pancake at the other end in some of the darker chasms

Barreft posted:

e: that said I'm dumb as hell and a lot of these goatse shrines puzzles are tough

i'm not going to admit how long i spent on one of the red laser puzzles before realizing they don't kill/damage you if you touch them

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, you can cheese SO MANY SHRINES with a rocket shield. It's funny, you're not allowed to drop any zonai bits in a shrine to not gently caress with the puzzle, but they overlook pre-fused stuff. I still do the puzzles anyways because they're fun, but I'll often just look at the structure of a shrine when I enter it and go "yep I could totally just fly to the end via the power of rocket shield".

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Barreft posted:

Whats the link to the build?

There was a newer build more recently supposedly addressing the early complaints. I'm trying it now and the underground has texture but I cannot get the amiibos to recognize new time, all say can't be used again today. Not a big deal, I guess I'll take rebuilding shader cache if it means proper underground. It's very different down here with floors and walls. Less scary and easy to navigate it seems lol. I thought it was meant to be that dark and confusing anyway besides not seeing walls.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NewYuzuPiracy/comments/137ze80/ryujinx_custom_build_fixes_the_depths/

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

An Actual Princess posted:

Same; I actually had good performance with the recent Yuzu fix, but various elements were just "off" graphically to the extent that I prefer just doing it on the Switch where there's no hassle and everything just works correctly. I figured out how to transfer saves between the Switch and PC, so I can always just switch over when emulation improves.

It'll be amazing emulated once the kinks are worked out (though it's a shame it will probably never reach the heights of CEMU BotW, which had a ton of graphical/visual upgrades).

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I didn’t say it looked like poo poo for everyone just that it did for me and I didn’t care enough to fix it when playing on a real switch is easier and much more convenient

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Same; I actually had good performance with the recent Yuzu fix, but various elements were just "off" graphically to the extent that I prefer just doing it on the Switch where there's no hassle and everything just works correctly. I figured out how to transfer saves between the Switch and PC, so I can always just switch over when emulation improves.

It'll be amazing emulated once the kinks are worked out (though it's a shame it will probably never reach the heights of CEMU BotW, which had a ton of graphical/visual upgrades).

Never use Yuzu. Use Ryujinx and RyuSAK

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Is there any chance that CEMU mod and improvement energy might now build for Yuzu or Ryujinx? I had a few quick mods or hacks for leaked releases before, never saw if they improved after I beat the games. Using the early 30fps mod seems to have helped.

Easy to imagine how good this game could look and perform with some beefing up. Like draw distance when you're in the sky, it looks good now, but at a higher resolution with more detail visible and drawn it'd be incredible. Was CEMU or WiiU in particular good for modding or just more people with hardware capable of running it + mods.

I assume soonish or sooner it'll be running as good as to better than Switch.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Seems to be emulating pretty good thus far, though I really haven't gone anywhere other than the first leap.

New emulator versions dropping every few hours and seem to be fixing graphical issues as they go.

Hopefully in a few days it'll be sorted, and worth playing on PC.
I'm dead broke atm, so this is a massive boon

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Barreft posted:

Never use Yuzu. Use Ryujinx and RyuSAK

Ryujinx runs way worse for me (unless there's been a radical improvement in the last ~24 hours, which is possible). I couldn't get a smooth 60fps in it, while I could in Yuzu.

Infinitum posted:

Seems to be emulating pretty good thus far, though I really haven't gone anywhere other than the first leap.

New emulator versions dropping every few hours and seem to be fixing graphical issues as they go.

Hopefully in a few days it'll be sorted, and worth playing on PC.
I'm dead broke atm, so this is a massive boon

I didn't run into most of the weird graphical stuff until reaching the surface.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

There will be a 0 day patch like usual, then everything will take off. But we're already playing at 1080p30 a week before release so it can only go up from here

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Ryujinx runs way worse for me (unless there's been a radical improvement in the last ~24 hours, which is possible). I couldn't get a smooth 60fps in it, while I could in Yuzu.

TOTK can only play at 30fps right now. the 60fps mod isn't good.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I can live with rock textures and hitchy frame rate, I'm in crashes every 30ish minutes land. The autosaves make it pretty easy to just soldier on though.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Shabadu posted:

I can live with rock textures and hitchy frame rate, I'm in crashes every 30ish minutes land. The autosaves make it pretty easy to just soldier on though.

The crashes drive me loving nuts. But then I remember I'm just lucky to play early in 4k

go gamers

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is one of the only times I’ve regretted not having a PC lol, all the emulator updates aren’t coming out for Mac so guessing I’m SOOL with underground textures for now at least

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Barreft posted:

TOTK can only play at 30fps right now. the 60fps mod isn't good.

I mean, you can play in 60fps pretty reasonably; you'd just need to set the speed to 50% in shrines and cutscenes. I don't think it's worth the hassle when I can just play on the Switch, but it's pretty playable.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, you can play in 60fps pretty reasonably; you'd just need to set the speed to 50% in shrines and cutscenes. I don't think it's worth the hassle when I can just play on the Switch, but it's pretty playable.

yeah you just explained why not to play 60fps. it also breaks cutscenes sometimes

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The new 60fps patch fixes that.

60fps outside
30fps in shrines
Cutscenes apparently sometimes break

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Questions for y'all pirates.

Is the cooking system still broken? As in, can you still stockpile fifty hearty meals?

Same with armor: do late-game armor upgrades trivialize combat?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

As far as I know those are both completely unchanged

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I’m rocking 20 light of blessing, and can’t for the life of me remember how to turn them into extra stamina wheels :(

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Tyma posted:

I’m rocking 20 light of blessing, and can’t for the life of me remember how to turn them into extra stamina wheels :(

Pray?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Infinitum posted:

The new 60fps patch fixes that.

60fps outside
30fps in shrines
Cutscenes apparently sometimes break

Which patch is that?
[LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR]
60 fps/30fps in cutscenes is what got the new XB3 DLC to work without crashing.

I haven't really looked, the game engrosses me for so long I've just tried to ignore the disconnects

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
wellllp

found the master sword

at what cost jesus christ zelda :negative: