Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

run on sentience posted:

For the longest time I thought you all were just joking that bbby was bed bath and beyond. I can vaguely understand why they'd take interest in something tech-adjacent like Gamestop, but a failing chain of towel stores that they have almost certainly never set foot in?

My understanding is basically they just sorted a spreadsheet by how much people were shorting different stocks and went with the highest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

run on sentience posted:

For the longest time I thought you all were just joking that bbby was bed bath and beyond. I can vaguely understand why they'd take interest in something tech-adjacent like Gamestop, but a failing chain of towel stores that they have almost certainly never set foot in?
Nostalgia for their childhood and fear of change probably making them susceptible to assurances that a well known chain can't disappear.

Same as gamestop really, for anyone HODLing after the initial short squeeze. I used to hang out and browse gamestop as a kid, but how many of them do you think are still doing it as adults versus buying games on steam and occasionally having fond memories of checking out Xbox games at the mall

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Gamestop's entire actual business model is to be a WASP-friendly pawn shop, any other option is a dead end

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sentient Data posted:

Gamestop's entire actual business model is to be a WASP-friendly pawn shop, any other option is a dead end

It'll be a gaming-themed lounge where you can come in and discuss video games such as Mario

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I miss Funcoland. They were just as bad as gamestop but somehow cooler.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
Googled "Gadget Hackwrench" because I was about 80% sure it was Inspector Gadget's full name. Now I'm upset.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

jokes posted:

It'll be a gaming-themed lounge where you can come in and discuss video games such as Mario

...with a chatgpt powered waifu vtube avatar on a screen, brilliant!

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I remember when Gamestop bought out Electronics Boutique, thus resulting in them having two stores in my town right next to each other, one in the mall and one in a strip mall immediately across the street. They kept them both open like that for at least a year or two, and I remember hearing that it was far from the only place where that happened. I wonder if they were just trying to clear out pre-orders in the mall EB before they shuttered it.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

BBBY is up 50% today!!!

correction: BBBYQ

also, lol

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Think one of those bitcoin atms showed up in a gas station near me, or at least I haven't seen it there before;

Anybody want to buy a "dollar" of crypto for $1.17?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I like how coinzer think juggling multi different (volatile ) things is good for a economy and using for every day transactions.

oh and never mind the lag of the system.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Gamestop survives as the go to spot to turn cash into V-Bucks, another great digital currency.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

LostCosmonaut posted:

Think one of those bitcoin atms showed up in a gas station near me, or at least I haven't seen it there before;

bitcoin has not been at thirty-six thousand since exactly one year ago; it is currently 'trading' at about twenty-eight thou

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for the future of buying things where I have to check 100 different coins to figure out which one will give me the best purchasing power as they wildly fluctuate in value.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

istewart posted:

I remember when Gamestop bought out Electronics Boutique, thus resulting in them having two stores in my town right next to each other, one in the mall and one in a strip mall immediately across the street. They kept them both open like that for at least a year or two, and I remember hearing that it was far from the only place where that happened. I wonder if they were just trying to clear out pre-orders in the mall EB before they shuttered it.

We had Software Etc. and Babbage's at our local mall, both of which were eventually converted into GameStops. At least they were on different floors.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Babbages was the best.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

ellie the beep posted:

bitcoin has not been at thirty-six thousand since exactly one year ago; it is currently 'trading' at about twenty-eight thou

so what you're saying is "BUY BUY BUY !!!!!!"

ok I will

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Sentient Data posted:

...with a chatgpt powered waifu vtube avatar on a screen, brilliant!

Have you watched the Sarah Z video on replika, it's impressive how detrimental to society capitalism can be. It felt like learning about the Bhopal disaster but for human social interactions.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

davecrazy posted:

Babbages was the best.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

davecrazy posted:

Babbages was the best.

The shopping district in my town had a funcoland, electronics boutique, and babbages all within a mile radius of each other

The first two closed and the babbages got rid of its retro game bin and computer game shelves when it became gamestop :smith:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

LostCosmonaut posted:

$20 is 0.000034 bitcoin currently

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1654533978550943746?s=20

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Suppose you were a crypto bro. And suppose if you were a bad father. But I repeat myself.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
he's a crypto
he's a bro
he's a bad
he's a father

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Boxturret posted:

he's a crypto
he's a bro
he's a bad
he's a father

he's a coiner, he's a pain
how does he feel no shame?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

Bought the dip, price unseen
There's nothing in between
his ears. I'm working on divorcing him today

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He should go home and be a family man imo

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Boxturret posted:

he's a crypto
he's a bro
he's a bad
he's a father

Hello Sailor posted:

SatansOnion posted:

loving magnificent.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
today i saw someone call them "divorce tokens" and i can hardly believe that's the first time i've seen that one in twelve years of knowing what a buttcoin is

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Boxturret posted:

he's a crypto
he's a bro
he's a bad
he's a father

Hello Sailor posted:

SatansOnion posted:

drk
Jan 16, 2005

divabot posted:

today i saw someone call them "divorce tokens" and i can hardly believe that's the first time i've seen that one in twelve years of knowing what a buttcoin is

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Need to win this street fight tournament, not for my son, but for a picture of a wombat wearing a sailor hat, smoking a banana, and wearing a purple turtleneck!
HADOOOKENNNN!

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 6, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

happyhippy posted:

Need to win this street fight tournament, not for my son, but for a picture of a wombat wearing a sailor hat, smoking a banana, and wearing a purple turtleneck!
HADOOOKENNNN!

ATOKEN!

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
He was a crypto Boi
She said see you later boi
He wasn't good enough for her

Now he's livin on skid row
Turning weird tricks for blow
Rugged by a Shiba v-tuber

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

cagliostr0 posted:

He was a crypto Boi
She said see you later boi
He wasn't good enough for her

Now he's livin on skid row
Turning weird tricks for blow
Rugged by a Shiba v-tuber

Five years from now
He sits at home
Buying BBBY from Ryan Cohen

He turns on TV
Guess what he sees
FTX filing for bankruptcy

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1654196231722225681

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

this is my surprised face

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

https://youtu.be/0amWsMfR2Ok

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Working as intended

I am baffled the suckers still congregate there. Fish learn to avoid the spooky cave of death faster than these folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Even after reading this thread and looking back on all of human history I still have trouble believing people are stupide enough to buy meme coins.