Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Who's up for a glass of delicious

I'm the interest of full disclosure, it's not just pimento:
  • 2 cups fresh, cooked asparagus
  • 2 (7-ounce size) jars pimentos, drained
  • ½ cup skim milk
  • 2 raw asparagus spears, to garnish
  • 2 lemon slices
:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I feel like "cherry pepper smoothie" would sound more palatable but not by much

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Captain Hygiene posted:

• ½ cup skim milk
  • 2 lemon slices
This is somehow worse than I was expecting from the picture. Milk? Two cups of asparagus??

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

And it's that old-school boiled asparagus that made used to make me think that asparagus was terrible, even before sending it into the blender! :barf:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Captain Hygiene posted:

And it's that old-school boiled asparagus that made used to make me think that asparagus was terrible, even before sending it into the blender! :barf:

At least that'll break up those boiled strands of fiber that you can't fully bite through

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

FreudianSlippers posted:

maize flavored "Summer Beer"

Would.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Zero_Grade posted:

Two cups of asparagus??

Piss that can slap you in the face

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Piss that can slap you in the face

and just might, once it learns you're the type to drink pimento smoothies

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Captain Hygiene posted:

Who's up for a glass of delicious

• ½ cup skim milk
  • 2 lemon slices

Did everyone in the 70s smoke so much that they completely destroyed their palate?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Move over Cincinnati, there's a new regional Ohio food in town

https://twitter.com/RegionalUSFood/status/1654120442473373696

Looks like they have onions/garlic/various seasonings plus ham/sausage/etc depending on the recipe, honestly I'd probably love em.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

absolutely would those look good as hell

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
New? There was no shortage of sour kraut balls at the German culture club's soccer field when I grew up in NE Ohio.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

New to me, I never heard of them before.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

Did everyone in the 70s smoke so much that they completely destroyed their palate?
I saw a youtube cocktail guy make drinks from the 70s once and that's basically the conclusion he drew and affirmed with each additional recipe.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 20:18 on May 4, 2023

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

They're like german/polish arancini and they look great.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Captain Hygiene posted:

New to me, I never heard of them before.
I'm punning around. I don't know when these first showed up but 5 minutes later the joke was first made that you can't sniff around NE Ohio without catching a whiff of some sour kraut's balls.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol

But seriously, I can't stop thinking about making these, I think a Reuben variant would be incredible.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol

But seriously, I can't stop thinking about making these, I think a Reuben variant would be incredible.

And that Russian dressing dipping sauce? :discourse:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1654169230739111959

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chinese chips are quite nice, very crunchy. Generally prefer the rice myself though.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Chinese restaurants near me (US) have always served fries so it's weird to me that people keep calling that out in particular. Fried chicken wings with french fries or fried chicken wings with pork/other fried rice is a standard Chinese takeout order here.

The Chinese takeout fried wings are a different recipe than the dedicated fried chicken places, so they're worth getting. The best lemon pepper wings of any lemon pepper wings I can find are served by a local Chinese place.

Also seeing posts from Americans saying they order teriyaki? From their Chinese restaurants?? None carry that here either.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
My local Chinese place will sell me a whole duck for like 30bux and I am ever so tempted.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I've only ever considered fries on a US Chinese menu to be there for children to order. its certainly not something I've seen someone actually order

not too denigrate it, if they're good I could see ordering it but I always assume it's an item given 0 care by Chinese places

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I've only ever considered fries on a US Chinese menu to be there for children to order. its certainly not something I've seen someone actually order

not too denigrate it, if they're good I could see ordering it but I always assume it's an item given 0 care by Chinese places

they go with the fried chicken that's also ubiquitous to every chinese restaurant in the US

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Weirdest part about my local chinese restaurant growing up is that they made the best pizza in town, and it wasn't even particularly close. Eventually one or two pizzerias started up that were at least solid competition, maybe even better, but it's still weird that a chinese restaurant even has pizza, let alone good pizza.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I always assume it's an item given 0 care by Chinese places

Fries is not an item that requires care. You take them out of the freezer and dump them in the deep fryer for 5 minutes. Probably the easiest food to make at a restaurant.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I would expect any food place that owns a fryer to also own a pack of frozen fries to throw into it.
Where I grew up the fashion of "asian" was Viet-Thai, which means Pho, some Thai main dishes and euro-chinese duck. They also all added a small sushi bar once that boom started.

A more interesting trend was mid-sized kebap places expanding by buying a pizza oven and serving pizza. Giving us pizza with kebap meat, which is meh, and pizza suzuck, which is great. And some even started using the ovens to make their own bread for the kebaps, making them secret tips.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AARD VARKMAN posted:

My old town has a Indiana-Korean fusion restaurant that serves "Bulgogi Fries" which are extremely good. That said it seems like they've got a bunch of innovative frie based dishes in actual Korea, these days.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

getting chips at the chinese takeaway and saying "fusion cuisine" as I dip them in hoi sin.

I eat quite a lot of Chinese food here in Sydney, and I've never seen chips on the menu of an out-and-out 'Chinese' restaurant. That said, a lot of the chicken shops or fish & chips places will have various "Asian" cuisines as options, a banh mi, dim sims, curries etc. So it's more that takeaways often have the standard 'western' food (chips, burgs) and the owners will just chuck in extra options. Perhaps it's reversed in the UK, I wasn't brave enough to try what an English person would consider an acceptable Chinese meal.

My local bakery sells cambodian curry next to lamingtons and mudcakes. It owns, I welcome this form of multiculturalism gladly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AARD VARKMAN posted:

it's chips, you don't give it care you deep fry the gently caress out of it in whatever magic oil they use and it goes hella crispy

and then you put them next to your rice and tray of mystery vegetables and ribs and dump the peking sauce all over it and then shovel it into prawn crackers and then your gob

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Lol the thought of a group of people deciding "let's get Chinese tonight" and opening a bunch of styrofoam containers of chicken wings with fries is really quite something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know anyone who would just get chips, and tbh I also don't know anywhere that does just chicken unless you get maybe satay chicken or something, you usually get a rice or stir fry main and chips to go with.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Satay chicken, another Chinese favorite

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
pizza, kebab, Chinese, satay, Indian, fried chicken, and it's all run by a large group of Palestinian brothers.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
I wouldn't order it but yeah fried wings and fries is a pretty common order for a Chinese food place here.

Spaghetti pie is less common.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loOt8DbXtWU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/worrystonee/status/1653513196915884034

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think the thing is, in the UK, most chinese places are fish and chip shops first, and the Chinese takeaway aspect is secondary. Not all fish and chips shops will do Chinese, but most, if not all, Chinese takeaways will do fish and chips. Then they sell nuggets or whatever for the kids, because who cares, you have the oil going anyway, may as well bulk out the menu.

The chips can be variable though depending on how well they know their fryer and how much they care. Best ones in the area used to be from the shop next to the graveyard, and sometimes we'd take bread and butter with us and make chip butties next to the graves in the evening. Then one day the owner announced he was going back to China and it shut overnight.

Now I have to go a mile if I want the good stuff!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Data Graham posted:

I distinctly remember there was a time in like the early 90s when the Nutrition Facts info boxes were standardized to the format they're in now, and all the serving sizes were made "realistic". Like before that a can of Coke would be listed as like 1 2/3 servings or some poo poo, or the serving size on a bag of chips would be given in ounces; but afterwards it was like "it's 1 serving, give me a break. Serving size: 1 CAN".

Does anyone else remember that? In any case I guess things have drifted off into la-la land again since then if that's what the conventional wisdom is, but I still think it was a lot more insane back in the 80s, to the point where as a kid I was accustomed to looking at the serving sizes in the store just to laugh at them.
I see that in chips bags, where I can buy the box of ten 1oz bags where 1oz is the serving size. And then I buy bags at a convenience store that have 3.5oz, but at least on the back of the bag it has "100 calories per serving, 350 calories per bag"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pick them up at the store. Or else.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

DONT gently caress WITH THE FRUIT COCKTAIL COMMITEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

In Ireland, there are basically 2 types of Chinese restaurant/takeaway - the very rare actually authentic ones who adhere to a regional style, and the omni-present, bog-standard type that carry the same menu as every other one - ribs, spring rolls, sweet and sour chicken, chow mein etc etc.

One of the ordinary type in my town closed down when the owners retired, and some younger family members reopened with a new, interesting non-standard menu, including a menu handwritten in chinese on the counter that had dishes completely unfamiliar to the average Irish person.
It was really really good, and closed down after about 6 months only to turn back into the same old boring stuff because that's what sells :(

Example of authentic Irish-Chinese fusion cooking - the Spice Bag