Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

In terms of win/loss in one-score games the reverse of the 2022 Vikings was the 2021 Vikings, so congratulations to the 2023 Bears on their 13 win season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m kind of confused where the optimism for the Bears is coming from. They are the same team that won 3 games last season. Fields might improve but that’s guesswork at the moment

They were the best in the league in opening drive scores. 7 losses were a one score game. The defense was terrible after the trade deadline and there were a bunch of injuries. We basically had a practice squad on defense.

The bears addressed the interior dline via draft and FA, signed two top linebackers in FA, a cb from the draft, and there are hopes that they will make a move for an Edge before camp. They still got money to spend. They drafted a starter for oline and signed a few others, dj moore is now the #1 wr which opens up moore and claypool, Tonyan gives depth at TE, we signed an undervalued RB in Forman and drafted another undervalued RB in Roschon Johnson.

Im sure im missing some other moves, but this team is headed in the right direction. In my opinion, some our projected backups are already better than the starters we didnt resign from last year. Dakota Dozier and Byron Pringle, ect.

Ill take the over on 7.5 games.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PekalaLaw/status/1653777892579368960

Good, I guess

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The Bears definitely have a better roster than last year (it'd certainly be hard for them to do worse). But I'm personally still skeptical of whether the coaching staff will be able to make the most of their new talent — it's entirely possible that they will, and that the Bears will pull a worst-to-first! But it's also in the realm of possibility that they putter forward into a mediocre 5-7 wins and waste another year of Fields' potential. Only time will tell!

On that note:

GNU Order posted:

Just to get some context of what’s realistic I went and looked at teams with the worst record, and what they did the next season

2022: Jags 3-14 to 9-8 (and a playoff win)
2021: Jags 1-15 to 3-14 (drafted their franchise QB)
2020: Bengals 2-14 to to 4-11-1 (drafted their franchise QB)
2019: Cards 3-13 to 5-10-1 (drafted their franchise QB)
2018: Browns 0-16 to 7-8-1 (thought they drafted their franchise QB)
2017: Browns 1-15 to 0-16
2016: Titans 3-13 to 9-7
2015: Bucs 2-14 to 6-10 (drafted Jameis lol)
2014: Texans 2-14 to 9-7
2013: Chiefs 2-14 to 11-5 (and a playoff loss)
2012: Colts 2-14 to 11-5 (and a playoff loss, drafted Andrew Luck who played like a franchise QB)

So what does this mean to me, the eager Bears Goober? Bad teams who drafted their franchise QB with the first overall pick were usually pretty bad the next season, but I look at the 2016 Titans, a team with a good amount of talent and a QB in place, in a weak conference, who traded down from pick #1 to draft a right tackle, with coaches who were in their second season running the team, and they made it above 500. What if.

It's worth noting that every team I bolded had a coaching change before or during the season. The Jags in 2022 went from Urban Meyer to Doug Pederson. The 2018 Browns tossed out Hue Jackson halfway through the season. The 2016 Titans had Mike Mularkey take over as full-time head coach after being made interim coach halfway through the 2015 season. The Chiefs famously went from Romeo Crennel to Andy Reid. And in some (Though not all) of these cases, I think a lot of the increase in wins can be attributed to these teams getting better coaches. *cough*chiefs*cough*

That being said, Zac Taylor's Bengals are on here, and obviously they've done pretty well after spending their first two seasons being absolutely horrendous. There is precedent here for the Bears to improve and even do well, though like I said I'm still somewhat skeptical.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 3, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think if Fields improves, the Bears could win between 4 and 26 games. If he doesn't, they'll be forced to trade the 1st overall pick to the Panthers again. The Florida Panthers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MJeff posted:

I think if Fields improves, the Bears could win between 4 and 26 games. If he doesn't, they'll be forced to trade the 1st overall pick to the Panthers again. The Florida Panthers.

Can Sergei Bobrovsky play QB?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Fritz Kaegi is the best.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gonz posted:

Can Sergei Bobrovsky play QB?

All I know is that the man destroys the top team in the league in the playoffs. So I think we can say, absolutely.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m kind of confused where the optimism for the Bears is coming from. They are the same team that won 3 games last season. Fields might improve but that’s guesswork at the moment

They had $100 million in cap space, a bunch of draft picks, and a young QB going into year 3. They should be winning 7 or more games.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

So is there any cheap property close to Chicago? Even something twenty miles away would make for a good new, new location for a stadium.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Darth Brooks posted:

So is there any cheap property close to Chicago? Even something twenty miles away would make for a good new, new location for a stadium.

It's pretty cheap land all things considered. Cook County had a history of not taxing rich people who used certain law firms for a few decades, so this is likely not so much an increase, but just putting their property tax in line with us commoners.

Still, it goes to an appeal board and they are fairly easy to bribe. So this probably won't hold.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I can’t read the article, but since the bears just bought the property, doesn’t everyone know exactly what the property is worth? Unless he’s assessing it way higher than the purchase price, seems like an easy thing to calculate.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MJeff posted:

All I know is that the man destroys the top team in the league in the playoffs. So I think we can say, absolutely.

He’s a loose cannon!

HAND IN YOUR GUN AND YOUR BADGE, BOBROVSKY

YOU’RE OFF THE FORCE

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Not really how property taxes work. As long as you are in line with similar properties the actual number is whatever. They could put my house at a billion dollars but if everything else is on that scale the actual tax I would pay is the same as if they put everything at 2 dollars that’s similar.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gonz posted:

He’s a loose cannon!

HAND IN YOUR GUN AND YOUR BADGE, BOBROVSKY

YOU’RE OFF THE FORCE

Top :cop:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You made me sad that my hockey team had rapists and covered up sexual assault while being second level racist
And also sucks but didn't suck enough to get first in the draft

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1653905226334715907?t=KAdW35SsFzfSQFnX9C94UA&s=19

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

poles, sign a defensive end NOW, coward!!!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i love that my college football team is so terrible that they are tweeting out graphics for invitations to minicamps
https://twitter.com/NUFBFamily/status/1652758282899955714?s=20

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

I can’t read the article, but since the bears just bought the property, doesn’t everyone know exactly what the property is worth? Unless he’s assessing it way higher than the purchase price, seems like an easy thing to calculate.

That's exactly what happened. The property was being taxed at $33 million (:lol:). The Bears purchased it for $197 million. The county simply said "well, you paid $197 million for it, so it's worth $197 million".

Hand Row is right that it will be compared to other properties and such. But it's very unique and valuing it at what they paid for it seems pretty fair to me. If the Bears thought it was worth less, they should have paid less.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
lol invited

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Niwrad posted:

That's exactly what happened. The property was being taxed at $33 million (:lol:). The Bears purchased it for $197 million. The county simply said "well, you paid $197 million for it, so it's worth $197 million".

Hand Row is right that it will be compared to other properties and such. But it's very unique and valuing it at what they paid for it seems pretty fair to me. If the Bears thought it was worth less, they should have paid less.

Maybe it's a Bay Area thing, but this is exactly how it works here. If you buy a house for a million, the assessed value becomes a million.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shrimpy posted:

Maybe it's a Bay Area thing, but this is exactly how it works here. If you buy a house for a million, the assessed value becomes a million.

Oh well here you buy it at a million, it gets assessed at 1.5, maybe 2, depending on the market and then you pay that lawyer recommended to you by your state rep, and then it's reassessed at .85.
Sometimes you'll use a different lawyer to file for reassessment and doing this makes it worth 3. That's why your rep recommended that other lawyer. He's really good at it! :shrug:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darth Brooks posted:

I honestly didn't even remember that Arlington Heights was in Cook County, I could have sworn it was in Kane.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Timby posted:

I honestly didn't even remember that Arlington Heights was in Cook County, I could have sworn it was in Kane.

It's Arlington Heights, not Elgin

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think here we have assessed value and taxable value, and usually the taxable value is half the assessed value

That may only apply to non-commercial property tho

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

https://twitter.com/AndyHermanNFL/status/1653971800189984768

Orlder

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Timby posted:

How dare you disrespect the home of Jimmy Garoppolo like that!

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

with how I feel waking up on any given day I hope every nfl player is younger than me. nobody deserves to be taking tackles at like 37 or some poo poo

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Pretty reasonable escalators here. If he hits them he's the guy and the Brinks truck is gonna be backing up into his driveway

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1654150009795772416

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I can't believe Brian Gutekunst would gently caress with Jordan Love like this all to flex a tiny bit of power.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can't believe Brian Gutekunst would gently caress with Jordan Love like this all to flex a tiny bit of power.

Why not, he seems like a pretty bad GM and terrible person, it seems totally believable.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Timby posted:

Cook has the part in the NW that juts out further west than anything else, not sure why though. Hell Streamwood and Barrington Hills are still at least partially in Cook County.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Holy poo poo, Cook county almost makes it to the Fox river up there.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Bears signed some big super athletic OT from Nigeria. Who played no High School or college ball, but did play in the pre-season I think for the Giants last year?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

ghosthorse posted:

with how I feel waking up on any given day I hope every nfl player is younger than me. nobody deserves to be taking tackles at like 37 or some poo poo

Ill play a season for a couple mil.

E: or a few italian beef dipped and some ice.

Dexo posted:

The Bears signed some big super athletic OT from Nigeria. Who played no High School or college ball, but did play in the pre-season I think for the Giants last year?
This is cool and good. I had to look this up. He is a part of the International Player Pathway program. Not really signed. More like assigned to the bears. Good luck Roy Mbaetka.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Yeah I guess you can sign international players to your practice squad without them taking up a roster spot. The Lions got a decathlete/AFL player from Australia who's listed as a TE despite also being listed as 220 pounds. Get some good old American HFCS into this boy!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

As someone who watches aussie rules in the dead of night on the weekend,

:negative:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I wish rugby or aussie rules were bigger here in the states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

SKULL.GIF posted:

In signing this extension, Love has given up more than $5m in guaranteed money compared to the 5th year option in exchange for the potential, through escalators to earn about $2m more (if I'm understanding the numbers correctly).

The only way that tracks is if he's tragically contracted Okung disease or if he was told the 5th year option wouldn't be exercised. Was that $5m in guaranteed money and a little cap space next year worth the risk Love would tell him to fuckoff and play out the year (or hold out!) or did Brian want to show he could wear the big boy GM pants? :shrug: