Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the leader system was in desperate need of a revamp. i mostly just ignored it previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zurai posted:

Stellaris is vastly better for the FTL change. Fighting wars before was just completely frustrating, there was literally no way to defend yourself or force an engagement. Now at least there's some pale semblance of strategy to the military part of the game.

You had to know how your opponents moved. You could absolutely engage them, but you had to solve a fairly complicated logistical puzzle to do it. That's what made it interesting, and at times, quite difficult.

I quit playing partly because of this change. I've come back to the game several times over the years, a lot of the changes since (how planets work being the biggest one) feel like huge improvements, but I have never enjoyed the game as much as the earlier days.

If they HAD to pick one, they could have at least kept the Wormhole generators, since they were the most fun, and they created terrain (in a way that actually makes sense, no less) by virtue of forcing empires to defend around big objectives with huge, glowing targets on their back.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Every 4x dev ultimately wants to make a board game. But it's the abstract, chaotic nature of 4x games that make them interesting in the first place.

They shouldn't bother, Eclipse v2 already exists.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQwx1EolD8

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Well AoW 4 is getting ‘mixed’ reviews because of fairly serious bugs and the failure of the servers for multiplayer so if you haven’t already bought a copy you may want to wait. Why they released it in this state who knows.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mayveena posted:

Well AoW 4 is getting ‘mixed’ reviews because of fairly serious bugs and the failure of the servers for multiplayer so if you haven’t already bought a copy you may want to wait. Why they released it in this state who knows.

To answer you here instead of the wrong thread (whoops, both of us):

The multiplayer servers apparently crashed because they just didn't expect the game to sell as well as it did, and will be resolved in the near future presumably. The rest, yeah, apparently some weird poo poo's going on lower end machines that still do meet minimum specs? So it's probably a genuine fuckup on their part.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

it's defaulting to integrated graphics on some machines

runs great and looks great for me

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

victrix posted:

yeah it's been flawless for me as well

truly sorry for anyone having issues, but I think the reviews are basically a selection issue insofar as only people experiencing the bugs would normally be leaving reviews this early

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't run into a single issue in AoW4 so far in 3 hours. It's really good.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

victrix posted:

My machine is pretty low end (like the game pegs my CPU low end, though it still meets specs and I have enough GPU to make it look pretty) and even I'm not having any technical issues aside from, y aknow, pegging my CPU for hours on end because I can't stop playing.

guess I need to clean the case and refresh the thermals

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

deep dish peat moss posted:

I haven't run into a single issue in AoW4 so far in 3 hours. It's really good.

If I have to refund because it sucks, I’m coming after you with a really snarky post!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Age of wonders more like age of BLUNDERS!!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

By the way, I didn't mean my post to be a criticism of the devs. At the end of the day, Paradox is the publisher and is responsible for the publication. For all we know (I know a dev for Triumph posts here but they may be limited in what they can say) Paradox forced the publication early so any issues I blame them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Seems like the multiplayer issues are apparently just the standard “we didn’t plan for launch week” scaling stuff that really has no place in a modern cloud world but gaming is always 5-15 years behind modern software practices, so c’est la vie.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dead game

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The problems are vastly over-represented because if the game crashes for someone they negative review it right away then refund, but everyone who the game works well for is busy playing and might not add a review at all.

It's already up to Mostly Positive (72%). I think the vast majority of people aren't having technical issues, but some people definitely are. If you strip out the "crashes when I launch it" reviews it's like, near-100% positive.

e: I don't think a single person in the AoW4 thread has had any major performance issues or crashing and pretty much every post is glowing praise :allears:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 3, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

No issues here in my ~hour. It's great, and extremely pretty.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yes I tried both the Steam version and the Xbox version, went with the Steam version, seemed a little easier to use, but the Xbox version was fine as well. Looks very very promising, I'm looking forward to playing it (at least until the new Zelda comes out :) )

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I still play a lot of Stellaris, because no one else has a good Star Trek mod (despite the warp lane bs)

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mayveena posted:

Yes I tried both the Steam version and the Xbox version, went with the Steam version, seemed a little easier to use, but the Xbox version was fine as well. Looks very very promising, I'm looking forward to playing it (at least until the new Zelda comes out :) )

Was it 60fps on the Xbox? I am considering grabbing it on PS5 at some point and figured fps would be the same

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Theotus posted:

Was it 60fps on the Xbox? I am considering grabbing it on PS5 at some point and figured fps would be the same

You know, I never pay attention to FPS, apologies I can't answer. However it looked great on my Series S, noting the smudginess that at least ACG mentioned in the combat scenes.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
AoW4 runs great, would have been nice for the tutorial or the popups to tell me how to build Cities

fwiw you build Outposts by selecting the empty province, not by building a settler or using your hero

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SIGSEGV posted:

The funny thing is that they did know what made it good, they just decided not to make the next one good.
Yeah he said something like "The strategic layer is an excuse for generating tactical scenarios" and then made the strategic layer in 2 an absolute ball ache even ignoring the bugs.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

I think the reason multiple FTL options didn't work in Stellaris is because the game was too modular. In SotS your travel method was paired with a bunch of unique characteristics for your empire and that made it fresh and gave each race a unique playstyle. But in Stellaris you can customize literally everything so the FTL just becomes a best choice option.
To merge the two current thread topics, Aow4's empire creation approach is what I wanted out of Stellaris's.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 3, 2023

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Splicer posted:

To merge the two current thread topics, Aow4 empire creation approach blows stellaris out of the water.

Can you expand a bit more on this? AoW has always seemed like more of a wargame with an empire attached, and I like things the other way round typically - does the new one have enough on the strategic empire/economic side for that, or should I just keep waiting for Victoria 3 to get a sale instead?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

To merge the two current thread topics, Aow4's empire creation approach is what I wanted out of Stellaris's.

What is Stellaris' empire creation lacking exactly?
I can't think of any large differences between those two.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

for a fairly long time, stellaris empire options were really bland compared to something like endless space/legend, IMO

it's come a long way since, though. it's still not as out there as completely premade gimmick civs in the endless games or similar, obviously, but it's in a good spot right now imo

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

As someone who's only watched AoW4 for now but played a ton of Stellaris, my guess would be that there's at least the impression of more weight to the decisions made at character/empire creation. Most of the Stellaris pre-game decisions don't really make the game feel much different in action (barring some Origins, a handful of Civics, and the gestalt/normal empire divide). AoW4 gives you a lot fewer choices overall, but they all seem from an outside perspective to have much more impact on the game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah the real big differences in stellaris empires didn't start until the origins and the more out there civics like servitors etc. landed

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zurai posted:

As someone who's only watched AoW4 for now but played a ton of Stellaris, my guess would be that there's at least the impression of more weight to the decisions made at character/empire creation. Most of the Stellaris pre-game decisions don't really make the game feel much different in action (barring some Origins, a handful of Civics, and the gestalt/normal empire divide). AoW4 gives you a lot fewer choices overall, but they all seem from an outside perspective to have much more impact on the game.

I agree in that with the exception of all the options that heavily change how a Stellaris empire plays, none of them change how a Stellaris empire plays much.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Can you expand a bit more on this? AoW has always seemed like more of a wargame with an empire attached, and I like things the other way round typically - does the new one have enough on the strategic empire/economic side for that, or should I just keep waiting for Victoria 3 to get a sale instead?

Everyone who says AOW is Civilization with tactical combat is giving the wrong impression. It’s really a Total War-esque game but with turn-based tactical combat. The strategy layer *exists* but if you aren’t playing for the fights you’re gonna have a bad time.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

This was pretty much my impression, yeah, and AoW4 feels like a definite shift in AoW's model to a more civ like experience. Well, it still has a more in depth tactical combat system, but the strategic mode is more in depth as well now. So I guess I'd say now it's closer to an even mix while previous titles were more tactical focused?

As far as the empire creation itself, I'd say it seems to take definite inspiration from Stellaris, and benefits from being built from the ground up with the knowledge of what worked and what didn't. Lots of similar stuff is there; design the race, then the nation, with two civics picks to add flavor and make each empire play a bit different. But compared to Stellaris they feel a big more impactful. And then the tome system makes your empire change as it develops but not always in the same way, which is cool.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 3, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kris xK posted:

I still play a lot of Stellaris, because no one else has a good Star Trek mod (despite the warp lane bs)

It's such a good mod I didn't even think about the warp lanes until you said something.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's such a good mod I didn't even think about the warp lanes until you said something.

Honestly they do it in a decent way and I dont really mind it. If you remove the warp lanes graphic you can forget its there.

While I've got your attention, are you playing St: New Horizons or St: New Civilisations?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jack Trades posted:

I agree in that with the exception of all the options that heavily change how a Stellaris empire plays, none of them change how a Stellaris empire plays much.
Indeed. Unfortunately "with the exception of all the options that heavily change how a Stellaris empire plays" resolves to a significantly higher number than 0. The curators have been doing a great job on that but they're working from a pretty bad start. They really need to start cutting and merging content but the DLC model makes that very hard.

Jack Trades posted:

I've been trying to articulate this for a while now, but it's like someone looked at Stellaris' empire setup and just made everything better. There's civic equivalents, but none of them are just "+10% happiness". Affinities are like if traditions and ethics had a much superior baby. The current Stellaris tech deck is a morass of opaque weighting that ends up with every empire looking exactly the same anyway, while an AoW4'd version would be 10% a base skeleton of key cards and 90% packages of unique techs determined by your origin and ascension perks.

And it's all so coherent.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

You come to the AoW series for the fighting and the treasure so if you're not into that you can't really avoid it. The new economic system is very good and a definite step up if you like tactical unit combat and just want some realm management as well.

You obviously can't directly map the empire creation across the two games because of this, but it's more about the ethos than the specifics. If we map AoW unit combat to Stellaris planet management for an analogy it's like if the job and building variety from civics were the norm rather than the exception, and also came bundled with a bunch of other thematic stuff that you could tangibly interact with.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 3, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kris xK posted:

Honestly they do it in a decent way and I dont really mind it. If you remove the warp lanes graphic you can forget its there.

While I've got your attention, are you playing St: New Horizons or St: New Civilisations?

I think NH but it crashed so I gave up, I didn't really get that far but it was still the most fun couple hours I've had with Stellaris.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Man, the Story Scenarios suck rear end in AoW 4. In the second one there's an Empire of lovely rear end toadpeople that you literally cannot war against even though they're setting cities right next to your empire and resources. It gives you one of two options when first interacting with them, the first starting a quest chain to like be their friend and the second one telling them to just gently caress off. You'd think that the latter would let you murder them if they start getting in your way, but nope.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 5, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SweetBro posted:

Man, the Story Scenarios suck rear end in AoW 4. In the second one there's an Empire of lovely rear end toadpeople that you literally cannot war against even though they're setting cities right next to your empire and resources. It gives you one of two options when first interacting with them, the first starting a quest chain to like be their friend and the second one telling them to just gently caress off. You'd think that the latter would let you murder them if they start getting in your way, but nope.

Were you playing toads?

I was playing elves and had useless but smugly superior elf neighbors. So that felt on brand.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

LLSix posted:

Were you playing toads?

I was playing elves and had useless but smugly superior elf neighbors. So that felt on brand.

Are you thinking mission 1? Because I'm playing Elves on mission 2 and also have mopey toad people neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I’m thinking of the one with Yaka as the bad guy. I agree it was pretty lame.

Are you counting the tutorial mission? I skipped that one but it make numbering them confusing.