Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

you absolutely should be allowed to own and work on your own car that you can use on a track since private cars should be banned from public roads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the government should make all cars so there’s only one model to service and make spare parts for, bing bong so simple

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

because that would probably make cars extremely expensive to own?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson loves corporations

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

i think it should only be legal for a licensed toyota mechanic to work on toyotas, gm mechanics to work on gms, etc.

wow, somebody's in the pocket of Big Fiat

mystes
May 31, 2006

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

the government should make all cars so there’s only one model to service and make spare parts for, bing bong so simple
as long as it's an underpowered compact hatchback, sure

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

fart simpson loves corporations

hosed up

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

yes and it should be the least appealing econobox possible

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

it's safe to assume that anyone with this opinion has never driven a trabant, lada, yugo, etc…

tbf, the yugo was the least bad communist car, but it was still bad

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you could probably just license a yugo design

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The_Franz posted:

it's safe to assume that anyone with this opinion has never driven a trabant, lada, yugo, etc…

i would totally drive a cheap lovely car if someone gave me one, i didn't need to pay for insurance and repairs were free

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The_Franz posted:

tbf, the yugo was the least bad communist car, but it was still bad

i think you may be missing the reason behind wanting to make all cars like this

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

infernal machines posted:

you could probably just license a yugo design

the yugo design was just a shortened fiat 128

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The_Franz posted:

make further modifications punishable by death

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

i would totally drive a cheap lovely car if someone gave me one, i didn't need to pay for insurance and repairs were free

the only car i've ever owned was an 86 renault alliance. it cost $150 in 2001

i neither insured it nor repaired it, so i guess i got my money's worth

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

The_Franz posted:

put it in H

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

the only car i've ever owned was an 86 renault alliance. it cost $150 in 2001

i neither insured it nor repaired it, so i guess i got my money's worth

$150 is reasonable. i would pay $150 for the car

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

driving is a sin and the first step to forgiveness is knowing your car is worthless and you are not a good driver

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

mystes posted:

how about an underpowered electric kei truck instead?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

$150 is reasonable. i would pay $150 for the car

it sounded like a detuned lawnmower and presumably could do 0-60 in some amount of time, but i never managed to get it going that fast

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Internet Janitor posted:

so you're saying you think it's ok to be obnoxious as long as you're rich?

hell, if loud vehicles were more expensive a lot of these shitlords would wear it as a badge of pride

drat you really owned arthur c pigov with this one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
lotta real stupid people both here and out in the world who think that loud = fast and also that good sounding = loud and that anything but stock = loud and that louder than stock = intolerable.

i have an aftermarket pipe on one of my motorcycles and it is certainly louder than stock. not obnoxiously so, which i am certain of because i've never once seen a person flinch or a dog jump or a kid cover their ears when i ride by. but definitely louder, which is good because its tone is also fan-loving-tastic. i will absolutely kick it down a gear in a tunnel and open it up to hear the snarl build into a roar. love it.

Beeftweeter posted:

the harleys are the absolute loving worst

they're loud, they stink, and they're slow

harleys actually have really good sounding exhausts from the factory. they are throaty and rumbly and balanced and not excessively loud. this makes sense, since h-d prides itself on the ~harley sound~ (they even tried to / maybe successfully trademarked it) but they still have to comply with noise laws.

you have never heard a stock harley exhaust, though, because every harley moron KNOWS that the stock exhaust sounds like poo poo and the first thing you do is sawzall tat poo poo off and get a SCREAMIN' EAGLE that makes the bike sound like an elephant having diarrhea in a swimming pool

Jonny 290 posted:

crossplane engines sound like nothing else on the planet and you can rev one in front of an unfrozen caveman and they'll grunt 'gently caress yeah'

ferraris are flat plane

agreed. the aftermarket for this car would be unbelievable

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats just a lada

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Carthag Tuek posted:

i agree, but im scandinavian so i like rules against stuff that hurts people

what the...!!?  that's extremely illegal

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Grace Baiting posted:

what the...!!?  that's extremely illegal

i regret to inform you there are no rules against being scandinavian

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

there oughta be a law, i tells ya,

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

there oughta be a law, i tells ya,

lousy swedes!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

which kinda red is that?

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

how scandilous

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mystes posted:

how scandilous

xD

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I don't think anyone would argue that Harleys are, on balance, good products or even should exist anymore, and hopefully with the extinction of the boomers Harleys will finally go away. Their entire "innovation" is, instead of having the crankshaft be driven by pistons on opposite sides, both pistons driving it on the same side. But doesn't this make no sense and require that you have to overbuild the entire thing because you've got an unbalanced engine?

Yes. Yes exactly. This is where their loving "sound" comes from and it's because the entire design is wrong and bad. They literally said "but wait a minute, why use an engine where the forces all line up with each other to maximize efficiency, when you can do the exact opposite instead?" It's 100% a triumph of marketing and idiocy over everything else.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

inspirational heroes are still out there...

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

you idiots are posting about the wrong kind of ai

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Captain Foo posted:

you idiots are posting about the wrong kind of ai

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029258

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
allen iverson hasn't been in the league in 15 years foo

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
i don't really care for loud cars, but i enjoy watching sideshows, but those are an impromptu community event so i think they're fine whenever even if they're illegal, but i'm not going to complain about cars with loud exhausts since i buy and shoot off illegal fireworks late at night throughout the year. oh it's 1:30am and now your dog's barking? sorry pal, that explosion in the sky was cool as poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
without loud exhausts we would not have bosozoku.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMQQjYSoJf4

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I don't think anyone would argue that Harleys are, on balance, good products or even should exist anymore, and hopefully with the extinction of the boomers Harleys will finally go away. Their entire "innovation" is, instead of having the crankshaft be driven by pistons on opposite sides, both pistons driving it on the same side. But doesn't this make no sense and require that you have to overbuild the entire thing because you've got an unbalanced engine?

Yes. Yes exactly. This is where their loving "sound" comes from and it's because the entire design is wrong and bad. They literally said "but wait a minute, why use an engine where the forces all line up with each other to maximize efficiency, when you can do the exact opposite instead?" It's 100% a triumph of marketing and idiocy over everything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeuXShFIgyc

Fortnine made a pretty compelling case to me that some of Harley’s choices make sense and he seems to know a lot about bikes so I guess I believe him

Harley is gross in a lot of ways, but also dumb as they somehow missed the retro standard revival that’s been going on for the last 20 years. They could have at any point just made this again

Literally a bike they invented to compete with triumph and BSA that “the kids” were riding in the 50s. Fast forward 60 years and that same design becomes en vogue again hmm what should be do? Sell electra glides to boomers forever duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Yes I know sportsters still exist but the ergonomics are all entry level cruiser, or those dumb drag bars with giant tires, or basically anything other than: flat seat, neutral bars and pegs, fun colors, lower price