Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

California. I have also seen events offering prix fixe dinners with paired marijuana tastings.

The (untested) assumption is that the Feds have given up on the state of California as far as public consumption goes.

e: For your entertainment, El Blunto

k, but even there:

quote:

Possession with intent to distribute more than one ounce of marijuana is a misdemeanor punishable by 6 months imprisonment and a fine of $500. If the offender is younger than 18 years of age, then the offense is an infraction punishable by up to 8 hours of drug counseling and/or up to 40 hours of community service.

California Health & Safety Code § 11359(b)
California Health & Safety § 11359(a)
California Health & Safety § 11357(b)(1)

I'm surprised you can get banquet insurance for it. I mean clearly I'm wrong if they're offering it, I'm just surprised is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

Does getting multiple emails in Teams do anything, alert wise?
How does OP know other than checking?:
> he emailed me several times during an important meeting

Yeah I feel like there are more aggressive ways to put yourself on do not disturb. Turn off teams notifications at the system level. Silence your phone and resist the temptation to look at it. Do not under any circumstances respond in any way until you have a spare moment

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing to babysit because of $10?

the mom will cave first 9 bucks an hour baby sitting is a steal in rural nc its a bigger steal where ever they are

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my girlfriend her food is disgusting and to stop cooking for me?

quote:

So my (m26) girlfriend (f26) and I moved in together exactly six weeks ago. We have been dating for nearly two years and we thought that it's a good time to make this step in our relationship. Before I had stayed over at her apartment and she stayed at mine. Sometimes we would cook for each other, I gotta admit I am a picky eater but she has some meals she cooks quite good.

However, since we moved in together she has been trying different recipes because we can't always eat pasta I guess. She definitely doesn't know how to cook and it's difficult to persuade her to order delivery or let me cook since she said cooking is a way to "show me how much she loves me" but tbh her food is disgusting.

I finally reached my breaking point so yesterday and I told her to stop cooking for me, to cook just for herself until she gets better at it because I don't like how her food tastes. She immediately got defensive and told me she's trying to do the best she can, I told her that's not enough because her food still tastes like poo poo. I also asked how can her food taste so bad if she's only following a recipe, like how does she mess that up? Its literally just following instructions. She got angry and called me a cruel rear end in a top hat, I told her I'm just being honest, she's now not talking to me. AITA? Should I apologize? I feel like she's being unreasonable because I told her nicely that I don't like her food, she made such a big deal out of nothing

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Do we have an equivalent to AITA or AAM on these here forums? I know E/N used to be sorta like that but I haven't wandered over there in some time, not sure what the climate is like.

I've got a legit question involving my job, a customer who I think needs to be banned, and my immediate supervisor chastising me for sending an email from my work account to just 2 people (my actual hiring boss and her) that had the dude's mugshot from his sexual assault in 2021, plus a somewhat amusing picture of a character from a TV show, because that's what he looks like, not the mugshot.

Edit: or if anyone wants to see what Reddit has to say , I'm happy to type the whole story up if someone who knows how that site works wants to post a throwaway

Did you get written up or receive an official verbal warning? If not, accept that your boss has zero sense of humor and never do anything like that again. Some people can't handle that sort of thing. If you did, ask them exactly where in the company manuals you crossed a line that warrants being written up. Your company might have a lovely notwithstanding clause where they can write you up "for other reasons not specified herein as determined by your superior."

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my girlfriend her food is disgusting and to stop cooking for me?
we can't always eat pasta I guess

lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

I mean her food could be poo poo but lmao at pasta for every meal.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Hughlander posted:

k, but even there:

I'm surprised you can get banquet insurance for it. I mean clearly I'm wrong if they're offering it, I'm just surprised is all.

there are legal dispensaries. the people who work at 'em don't get slammed with possession with intent. clearly there are ways the state can and will license you to be able to do this, and one can readily imagine that the people who run the businesses that let you do blunt tastings are involved in that licensure situation

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

there are legal dispensaries. the people who work at 'em don't get slammed with possession with intent. clearly there are ways the state can and will license you to be able to do this, and one can readily imagine that the people who run the businesses that let you do blunt tastings are involved in that licensure situation

Step one is to be white. Step two is to be related to the right people and/or make appropriate campaign donations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Step one is to be white. Step two is to be related to the right people and/or make appropriate campaign donations.

while i get your point i assure you that there are black people who work at and sometimes even own dispensaries (incredibly underrepresented! subject to systemic discrimination! but!)

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
AITA for telling my friend that he should see his parents more

quote:

Hey all,

So one of my (M32) friends (M28) from law school just got married. At the wedding I caught up from other law school friends including M26 who moved last October from Toronto (our hometown) to Quebec City. Since his move he has not been back til the wedding when he came back for 2 weeks.

I asked him how often is he planning on coming back going forward and he said «maybe once a year; idk». Now I thought this was ridiculous; he needs to come back and see his parents more often. Like at least once a month, even for a few days. Toronto and Quebec City are like 9 hours away and he has fleixibility to work from home. He also has the income to afford this; he just makes it harder on himself by refusing to buy a car (he took the train back here). If he lives in Vancouver or something I'd get it - flying back once a year may make sense due to cost - but even then I would say do twice a year

He also said that he is trying to integrate and establish a life there and that coming back all the time would get in the way. That he calls home everyday. But I pointed out that it is not the same. And again he is not all the far away; he should see his parents; you don't know how long they will be around. And BTW I am not a hypocrite. I live in 9 hours away in Northern Ontario for work and drive back every other weekend.

The rest of our law school friend group agreed (well not sure about the groom since he wasn't at our table of course). But others sided with me. But he got annoyed and told us at much. AITA

Because that is perfectly reasonable and absolutely, 100% your business.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

seriously the states with legal dispensaries do, actually, have setups for people to get licenses to deal in weed and the criminal penalties being cited are levied against people who are working outside of that licensing process. the licensing process is flawed and minority members are still facing systemic discrimination even within the licensing process; i believe in eradicating drug penalties for everyone and not requiring the licensing process at all and not having any of those criminal penalties for people working outside of the process, but like

yes, there is a legal process, it is a thing, it's been a thing for years now?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Evil Willow posted:

I hope she does stop cooking for him, and then eventually gets really good (because it takes practice to get good), and then still refuses just to spite the lovely way he went about this.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

InediblePenguin posted:

I get that, it's just the thought that the golf course wedding hall counts is what I was blinking at.

CONTENT!

AITA for ordering the steak at a group dinner?

quote:

My best friend of over twenty years, has a sister with a husband who is just insufferable. Nothing is ever good enough. I blocked them all on social media during the pandemic because they would see my posts, take them personally and make a fuss. Ex: I posted something like “anyone who likes the color blue is an @$$” and I guess they like the color blue, so they called my best friend and told her I was talking about them, when it finally came out it was just a generic post on my page, my friend was pissed.

Anyway fast forward a few years, it’s been easy to be the adult and just not be involved with them, we can go to events and just not interact.

However last week we went out to dinner for someone’s birthday. There were 10 ppl the bill totaled less than $400 ($475 with tip). My husband and I dot not drink, every other person at the table had multiple alcoholic beverages. No one’s meal was under $20, but I chose to splurge as we hadnt be out and I got the steak meal, which was $43.

We did not split the check. I handed over $130 for my $43 steak, my husbands $20 nachos, our sodas and tip.

When the check was delivered bluey picked it up and loudly proclaimed “who was the rear end in a top hat to get the $43 steak”

Immediately I responded “what does it matter I paid for it” and he said I should have ordered a more comparable meal to everyone else. But the steak was the only think I ate on the menu. The rest was covered in fancy chesses I do not eat. And I PAID FOR IT +++

So is there some social or moral clause I do not know about? That I shouldn’t order more expensive items than others at the table, even if I am paying?

Also for more context, everyone else had seafood or Italian. My husband had nachos and my best friend had a burger.

Editing to add, when I said “picked up the Check” I mean literally, he picked it up to read it. He didn’t pay for anyone else’s bill. But that was my poor wording.

I love the whiplash between title and end of story.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Evil Willow posted:

Can't fool me, Dennis Reynolds

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for calling my girlfriend selfish for being upset I wasn’t at the birth of our kid because I was also in hospital?

quote:

My girlfriend and I (both 26f) have a son who is just over a year old. And there was some major ‘drama’ during the birth.

For some context, I have chronic heart problems and have been struggling with it since birth. I had a surgery when I was an infant, another at 7 and another at 15. I haven’t needed one since and have been doing well all around. When my girlfriend was 6 months pregnant, I got really, really ill and it took a massive toll on my lungs and heart. I pulled through but spent about a month in the hospital. I felt so awful that I couldn’t be with my girlfriend (Jane) but she was super great with it.

Then, 2 days before the due date, I was rushed into the hospital due to a build-up of fluid around my heart. I had to get the fluid removed asap. When the fluid was all out, my BIL came to visit me and he told me Jane had given birth. I was both ecstatic and devastated.

I had to spend the night under supervision but as soon as I was allowed to leave, I went to the maternity wing to see my wife and baby. At the time, all negative emotions were smothered by our bundle of joy but over the months, Jane has been showing more and more signs of resentment towards me.

It came to a head last night during our date night. I had the whole day planned; baby had gone to grandmas, her favourite take out, got all her favourite movies ready to play, spa evening planned, etc. But she wasn’t feeling any of it. I asked her what was wrong and she said she’s angry at me for missing the birth.

I’ll admit, I didn’t handle it as best as I wanted to, but we argued for a bit and I ended up calling her selfish for saying that. I asked her if she understood the severity of the situation and that I was very ill. She got up and said she wasn't going to let me patronise her and that she's never been disrespected like that before and that she's going to bed.

AITA?

comment not from OP but another poster:

quote:

Right? It was a legit medical issue! Hell my child's sperm donor was texting another woman while I was getting induced after almost needing an emergency c section from the IV being messed up almost passing out while baby was in distress. 16 hours of labor while basically being ignored in the room except to be asked about an open relationship lmao.

AITA for mentioning in front of our 2 friends that spouse took a shower after 20 days?

quote:

Husband and I were hanging out with two of our friends and during the conversation I made a joke that he takes shower sometimes after 20 days (which btw is the truth and I have a hard time dealing with it). He’s been very angry at me for ruining his reputation and been sleeping in the guest room. AITA for telling this? I feel really guilty about it but can’t take it back.

Edit: It’s not mental health related but just laziness. He plays active sports at least 3 days/week and still doesn’t hit shower. His reasons “it’s too late to shower”; “I’ll get a cold”, “hot water will make me cold afterwards”. He only showers regularly when his mom/aunt are visiting us.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 5, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hughlander posted:

k, but even there:

It's really, really common, especially in marijuana-growing regions.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Bonster posted:

I live in 9 hours away in Northern Ontario for work and drive back every other weekend.
This is absolutely bonkers to me. Like, even if you leave straight from work on Friday, you wouldn't arrive till like 3-4 am Saturday, then presumably sleeping for a few hours. Then you need to leave by around noon on Sunday to get home in time to sleep for work. So if you don't count the time you're asleep, you're effectively driving 18 hours round trip to spend something like 18 hours (awake) with your family. If you hadn't seen them in a long time, I could absolutely see it but like...if you just saw them a couple weeks ago, how the gently caress do you not quickly get sick of that drive and decide "so this is too much, it's 2023 and we have phones and FaceTime and etc"?

Also, OP definitely has like zero friends and absolutely no social life in the city they live in right? Because I have no idea how you'd successfully make friends in a new city if you're completely unavailable on half of weekends when people normally hang out.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 5, 2023

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for mentioning in front of our 2 friends that spouse took a shower after 20 days?
OP needs to explain to him that dude, all your friends already know you are a filth goblin.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh no, now he's sleeping in the guest room.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cowslips Warren posted:

What the gently caress :catstare:

Forget joking about it to friends, you need to be greeting this person with a hose sprayer attachment before they can make it in through the door.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

He sounds very nice. I'm sure he wipes diligently.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for calling my girlfriend selfish for being upset I wasn’t at the birth of our kid because I was also in hospital?

So say OP ignored her heart condition.

"In a new medical first, a mother died during childbirth but she wasn't the one who was pregnant"

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.
AITA for eating salad in front of my girlfriend and then making a joke about it?

quote:

I (28M) grew up in a family that put a lot of emphasis on healthy eating. As a kid, we always started dinner with a salad, and I've continued that practice as an adult. I don't take my salad with any dressing, and the only toppings I add are mushrooms and tomatoes. Since I don't put dressing on my salad, I often eat it with my hands since it's easier than trying to spear the dry mixed greens with a fork. I've been eating my salads like this basically since I was a teenager, and it was never an issue, even when having dinner with my parents.

My girlfriend (27F) eats salads occasionally, but doesn't love them the way I do, which is fine. She's currently pregnant, and pretty much all she wants to eat right now is meat and potato type meals, which is also fine. She's had some severe morning sickness in the first trimester and it's been a struggle to find foods that she can consistently keep down. So we'll make something she wants for dinner, and then I will pair it with a side salad for myself so I'm still getting my greens.

Lately, I've noticed she's been a little distant during dinner, so I asked her about it. She said that my side salads are "unappetizing" to her, and she requested I stop eating them in front of her because it makes her nauseous to watch. I told her that everything makes her nauseous right now, and that it's not fair to me that I have to change my lifelong diet because of her pregnancy symptoms. She told me that the issue isn't with the salad, it's the way I "shove it down my throat like a caveman." Apparently that makes her gag and then she doesn't want to finish her own food. I told her that I've been eating my side salads like that for over a decade an no one has ever commented on it, so I think she's being overdramatic. I told her that her caveman comment was rude and unnecessary, and that I would continue the conversation with her when she's ready to talk about it in a more reasonable way.

She immediately got up and went into the nursery and shut the door behind her. When I walked by later, I could hear her crying, but I didn't go in and say anything because I feel like she should be the one to apologize to me for the crass comments she made about how I eat. She ended up sleeping on the glider in the nursery while I slept in our bed alone.

We sat down for breakfast this morning in silence, so I attempted to diffuse the tension by asking if the way I was eating my toast was acceptable or it it was also making her nauseous. She immediately started crying again, calling me an rear end in a top hat and accusing me of not caring about her feelings or how hard the pregnancy has been on her. All I was trying to do was make a joke. And I know pregnancy is hard, but women go through it just fine all the time, so I don't understand why she's making such a big deal about it.

So AITA for eating my salads in front of her and then making a joke about it the next morning? I want us to sit down and resolve this when she gets home from work tonight, so I guess if I need to apologize, I will.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

^^^ Yet another man whining about being slightly inconvenienced by the person carrying his child.

odiv posted:

Oh no, now he's sleeping in the guest room.

That would ruin the guest room. He needs to sleep outside.

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 5, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel so loving bad but the toast thing is hilarious.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

:sever: and fight for custody, holy poo poo. Girl your partner is a sociopath.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

She doesn't understand, manually shoveling a salad into my mouth like an animal every day has been an integral part of my personality since childhood

:psypop:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Captain Hygiene posted:

She doesn't understand, manually shoveling a saladfistfuls of dry greens, mushrooms and tomatoes into my mouth like an animal every day has been an integral part of my personality since childhood

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

atomicdream posted:

AITA for eating salad in front of my girlfriend and then making a joke about it?

I can just imagine this woman has been annoyed watching this for years but has kept her mouth shut, but now she's pregnant and she's done with it.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I feel so loving bad but the toast thing is hilarious.

The whole situation sounds like something you'd see on a sitcom about assholes

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Bonster posted:

50% chance he wants to gently caress OP
25% chance he wants a D&D night back home once a month
25% chance he wants both

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

kimbo305 posted:

Does getting multiple emails in Teams do anything, alert wise?
How does OP know other than checking?:
> he emailed me several times during an important meeting

By default settings you'll get a Windows popup for each mail as it arrives, which can be pretty distracting, especially if you're in the habit of always glancing at the mails to see if anything actually important has arrived. We have a couple customers like that, call every single person in the department they know, write mails if they don't receive a reply within five minutes and my personal favorite guy who will always mark his mails as very important and write "I JUST SENT THIS PACKAGE OFF WHEN WILL I HAVE THE RESULT I NEED AN ANSWER RIGHT NOW!" every loving time.

I set things up for the last guy so his mails are automatically moved into another folder. Would recommend that to OP.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

When I worked as a production support dev I got a ticket escalated from tier 2 that had come in through the helpdesk that was from a guy who was absolutely irate we sent him a scheduled email at 2am. It woke him up!!!

Naturally I escalated the ticket to design team for consideration because it was the funniest thing to do.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

run on sentience posted:

I can just imagine this woman has been annoyed watching this for years but has kept her mouth shut, but now she's pregnant and she's done with it.

The whole situation sounds like something you'd see on a sitcom about assholes

Stuff that didn't bother you before can really bother you once you're pregnant, or so my wife has told me. She says she was never bothered by watching me eat meat (she's vegetarian) but for a few months early in the pregnancy she'd get nauseated if I ate meat around her. Naturally I would avoid eating meat at those times and it made a great early-warning system for subsequent pregnancies.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

atomicdream posted:

It's the guy from "hostel," salad fingers.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AITA for eating a salad in front of my pregnant wife?

quote:

EVERY MEAL I SIT DOWN AND OPEN PALM SLAM A SALAD INTO MY MOUTH. ITS GREENS TOMATOES AND MUSHROOMS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I MAKE SURE TO LET MY WIFE KNOW THAT I DON'T TAKE DRESSING. I EAT EVERY LEAF AND I EAT EVERY LEAF HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME MUSHIES OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY HAVE MADE JAMMING RAW LETTUCE INTO THEIR GAPING CRAW AN INTEGRAL PART OF THEIR PERSONALITY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO MY PREGNANT WIFE AND ALL SHE DOES IS PROVE PEOPLE AT HOME CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE SALADS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY HOME LESS LONELY BY MAKING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MEAL. THEN I LIFT

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mx. posted:

When I worked as a production support dev I got a ticket escalated from tier 2 that had come in through the helpdesk that was from a guy who was absolutely irate we sent him a scheduled email at 2am. It woke him up!!!

Naturally I escalated the ticket to design team for consideration because it was the funniest thing to do.

I think David Thorne (the spider drawing guy) did something like this as a bit, it used to be on his website but I don’t see it now so maybe he took it down and put it in a book.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

MrQwerty posted:

AITA for eating a salad in front of my pregnant wife?

:golfclap:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Pirate Radar posted:

I think David Thorne (the spider drawing guy) did something like this as a bit, it used to be on his website but I don’t see it now so maybe he took it down and put it in a book.

Lol he's Australian and it was an Australian gov department so maybe it was him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GOP Delusion
Sep 10, 2010

The security of Israel is a moral imperative for all free peoples.
You just know the mushrooms are loving raw too. It’s not a salad at all.