Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Oh its a fighting polygon scorpion

Not to be confused with the fighting kotaku scorpion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I absolutely hate spiders. It's not usually too bad for me in games, but if the spider has an attack where it like, grabs you or jumps on you or something? ughhh

Yeah spidders are ok for me but I forgot about the man-sized ones coming down from cave ceilings in Skyrim and when you have a VR hat on and everything is 3D life-scale... :o:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Sometimes I forget scorpions are arachnids because they never seem to come-up in arachnophobia discussions despite looking like some sort of mythological abomination come to life.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Crowetron posted:

Sometimes I forget scorpions are arachnids because they never seem to come-up in arachnophobia discussions despite looking like some sort of mythological abomination come to life.

I'm not afraid of spiders but there is something about the grabbing and biting that is scarier than a scorpion having pincers and a venomous tail.

Even though holy poo poo have you seen a scorpions mouth??

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Inzombiac posted:

Very kissable lips

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crowetron posted:

Maybe because they seem smooth and shiny instead of hairy and rough like spiders? I think of them more like crabs because of the pincers.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Probably also that Scorpions are pretty limited to a few climates while spiders are pretty much everywhere so 90% of the population has regular exposure to them

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

I'm not afraid of spiders but there is something about the grabbing and biting that is scarier than a scorpion having pincers and a venomous tail.

See, I'm the other way. Biting is what animals do, it just seems like a natural thing that would happen to you if you started poking at a critter. But the tail strike reminds me too much of like hitting someone with a weapon. Like it's deliberately malicious.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There's a whole spectrum of instinctual reactions I have to each of these many-legged creatures:
  • Spiders - legs, no claws, no tail: horrifying abominations that give me nightmares
  • Scorpions - legs, claws, tail: not horrifying, just remain cautious
  • Crabs - legs, claws, no tail: delightful snoppers, the high point of evolutionary development

I have no idea why there's such a distinct difference in my reaction to each of them when they have a lot of basic similarity, someone should really look into that.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Captain Hygiene posted:

There's a whole spectrum of instinctual reactions I have to each of these many-legged creatures:
  • Spiders - legs, no claws, no tail: horrifying abominations that give me nightmares
  • Crabs - legs, claws, no tail: delightful snoppers, the high point of evolutionary development

I have no idea why there's such a distinct difference in my reaction to each of them when they have a lot of basic similarity, someone should really look into that.

Seems inversely related to how delicious the meat is served with butter

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
What was that game that's basically Metal Gear Rising but you are playing as a real scorpion.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Deadly Creatures

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Half as a scorpion, half as a spider. You can probably guess what the final boss is.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A boot?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Post/AV combo

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
so how do arachnophobes generally feel about facehuggers or headcrabs, especially the poison ones, those little shiny black skittling motherfuckers

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Where does that whip spider posted a couple of pages back fit in? The one that was wearing the fez.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Going back to spider chat, I finally remembered to try out the arachnophobia mitigation button in Jedi Survivor, and it handles things a bit...differently than I was expecting:

It's so derpy I can't help but love it :buddy:

So you're saying there are hopes of it running on the Switch?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Need an update to the game so i can leave the gonk a tip

How about the establishment's owner pays the Gonk Droid a fair wage, removing the need for tips? :colbert:

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

How about the establishment's owner pays the Gonk Droid a fair wage, removing the need for tips? :colbert:

Greez pays fair wages for sure! Greez is that friendly grandparent taking care of everyone who looks like they need help or food.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

so how do arachnophobes generally feel about facehuggers or headcrabs, especially the poison ones, those little shiny black skittling motherfuckers

headcrabs: no issues

poison headcrabs: hideous monsters (honestly it was mostly the noise though, the actual things themselves never bothered me)

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

Regular headcrabs whatever to kind of cute (I still want a HL headcrab plush), poison headcrabs jesus gently caress no I had nightmares about them as a child. Combination of the noise, the speed, and the whole creepy black skin and poison stuff.

I had a very interesting time trying to make it through HL: Alyx because they are a way more staple enemy there :gonk: And it's VR, so actually having something flying at your face is. Just a bit creepy...

Facehuggers are creepy too but I've not really played any of the Alien games, so the most familiarity I have with them is movies which they aren't tooooo bad? I can imagine a first person view of the 'latching onto your face' bit would be absolutely horrifying, but I've not seen that.

Captain Hygiene posted:

How do you feel about spider crabs or coconut crabs? Those ones tread super close to spiders (long spindly legs/looks like an oversized tarantula) that they get me unnerved. Not quite scared, but just very uncomfortable looking at them for any extended period of times.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm really liking the dialogue options in Honkai Star Rail, the latest gacha jRPG from the devs of Genshin Impact, especially in side quests:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

How do you feel about spider crabs or coconut crabs? Those ones tread super close to spiders (long spindly legs/looks like an oversized tarantula) that they get me unnerved. Not quite scared, but just very uncomfortable looking at them for any extended period of times.

Coconut crabs are the ones that come closest to bothering me, they're so weird and blobby looking that I'd be creeped out a bit, especially since they climb. And they're pretty darn big, too. But it's more of a "this thing looks potentially threatening" reaction like for scorpions than the freakout response for spiders.

Spider crabs don't bother me at all, I like them. I think it's because they still have a recognizable crab body and the legs are so exaggerated, they veer into entertaining.

Tenebrais posted:

Where does that whip spider posted a couple of pages back fit in? The one that was wearing the fez.

I sorta felt the same way at first glance - it's so exaggerated that I thought it was a made-up design, it didn't trigger anything. But I'm also not inclined to go back research more examples of them, just in case it was just that particular view.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Gnome de plume posted:

I don't mind spiders or even headcrabs in HL really but haven't been able to beat HL Alyx because of that loving headcrab hotel

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m not sure when they did, but Vampire Survivors added some Kazoo covers of their songs to the game.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
If it has long spindly jointed legs it's a nope

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

Regular headcrabs whatever to kind of cute (I still want a HL headcrab plush), poison headcrabs jesus gently caress no I had nightmares about them as a child. Combination of the noise, the speed, and the whole creepy black skin and poison stuff.

That's the other funny thing, normal headcrabs are great, I've had this one as my work friend for probably 15 years now :3:

But the poison ones trigger that spider reaction real bad, I hate those things. I found them weirdly entertaining in HL: Alyx though, it felt unexpectedly therapeutic to give in to my rage and just unload entire clips on them in VR.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

It's the little hairs that puts the poison crab to that level

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The poison ones are spindly, are dark, always placed as an ambush and make a horrifying sound.

HOWEVER, they can't kill you. They can only drop you to 1HP.
That takes away a lot of terror if they are the only enemy around.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Library of Ruina changes the game launch load screen based on your last completed story mission. It's something that would be easy to miss but it's a real nice little touch

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Len posted:

Library of Ruina changes the game launch load screen based on your last completed story mission. It's something that would be easy to miss but it's a real nice little touch

I love when games do this! The start screen's background in Great Ace Attorney changes depending on your current location in the game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MGSV has one that you'll rarely see because it's hospital-themed and only shows up when you've started the intro tutorial but switches to the regular helicopter base theme as soon as you start the actual game. That was a fun surprise when I'd forgotten about it much later and started up a new game.

DownTheWell
Apr 19, 2007

Prosecute

Len posted:

TLOU2 does this in a way that spoils most of the game unless you delete your save before starting a new game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Spec Ops: The Line's main menu screen reflects the state of your latest saved game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One of the Just Cause games, the main menu background is the protagonist leaning against a car somewhere on the island. You hit 'continue' and he stands up and you're seamlessly in control.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I like when games do the instant start thing, but less so that it means quitting out to the main menu now takes as long as a load point

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

All the little variant animations for doing normal stuff in Jedi Survivor.

Specifically, Gunslinger Cal shooting chests open, and BD-1's little happy dance at finding new stuff :3:

https://i.imgur.com/cfDblMD.mp4

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 05:12 on May 5, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Len posted:

Unavowed does something like that where every character you recruit eventually is added to the title screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

credburn posted:

Spec Ops: The Line's main menu screen reflects the state of your latest saved game.

Spec Ops also has a very weird loading screen that as far as I know only appear once and only if you die at a certain point in the game.