Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

sethsez posted:

Everyone wondering why the Retroid Pocket Flip design looks so half-assed has clearly just gotten used to the locations of the Start, Select, Volume and Home buttons on the RP3 and forgot how baffling they were when it came out. That whole system was just "build a Switch Lite clone around an iPhone 6 display" and every deviation from that blueprint was goofy as hell. The Flip is completely on brand for Retroid.

Putting the Home button right where every single person's hand would be gripping the system is one of those "no-one thought about how humans use things" design decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Photex posted:

yeah i'm not understanding the low effort design, it almost looks like something powkiddy would put out for $100.

You can get a V90 for $31.99 shipped and it would do so many of the things that people want the RP Flip for. People talk way too much poo poo about Powkiddy itt and it’s really undeserved.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
God help me I just bought a flip. It looks so goofy in that video that it endeared me

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

You can get a V90 for $31.99 shipped and it would do so many of the things that people want the RP Flip for. People talk way too much poo poo about Powkiddy itt and it’s really undeserved.

The problem Powkiddy have in most people's minds is that 90% of their stuff is dogshit and they occasionally put out an absolute banger (V90, the RK2023 recently, arguably the original T18S, RGB10) seemingly more by accident than design. They're just wildly inconsistent. Even now though unless you absolutely need a clamshell I'd still say get an RG35XX over a V90 these days.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 29, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I brought a v90 for my nephew. If I have to do it again, I would spend the extra money on a 35xx. People who play retro game can afford to spend a little extra for better build quality.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

I brought a v90 for my nephew. If I have to do it again, I would spend the extra money on a 35xx. People who play retro game can afford to spend a little extra for better build quality.

Your experience and perspective are not universal. Some folks don’t have much disposable income and are interested in how much performance they can squeeze out of cheap devices. The latest and greatest toys are not always the best choice for playing 35 year old games, especially when there are options at 1/4 the price. I’m not arguing that it’s better and that other options are a waste, but dollar for dollar it’s the best buy in retro gaming imo

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

njsykora posted:

Putting the Home button right where every single person's hand would be gripping the system is one of those "no-one thought about how humans use things" design decisions.

It is baffling when you think about it but in practice it honestly hasn't been a problem for me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Some of the 3+ button placement is baffling but once I got the grip I never accidentally press home or the volume buttons anymore

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They're inset far enough that it's basically impossible to accidentally press them in my experience

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Miyoo Mini+ get.

Think I prefer it over the RG35XX but my RG35XX also has fucky inputs (half alleviated by me replacing the buttons, half not... still TBD)

The transparent purple is hot though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yeah, got mine and I really have been liking doing retro achievements on it. Duck Tales had some fun ones.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The screen is really nice now that I've played on it for two hours or so. I would consider doing some side by side comparisons with the RG35XX but there's probably not much that Russ hasn't covered in his video tbqh

One small thing is the volume up button is sticking a bit, but it's loosened up a bit naturally already

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 1, 2023

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Just a rumor at this point, and I never picked up the original GBA SP clamshell portables, but I might pick up one of these, once final colors are revealed.

Miyoo Flip?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Wee Bairns posted:

Just a rumor at this point, and I never picked up the original GBA SP clamshell portables, but I might pick up one of these, once final colors are revealed.

Miyoo Flip?

I know alot of retro guys will fail for it heh.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Wee Bairns posted:

Miyoo Flip?

It’s a bit more than a rumour, it’s a patent filing Miyoo made last year, alongside the Mini+ and the landscape handheld they’ve been working on forever.
https://twitter.com/gameboyjuntaro/status/1651795980575178755

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

stephenthinkpad posted:

I know alot of retro guys will fail for it heh.

I only know that as the car for German Lottery winners.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

This is exactly what I have wanted all along. I even said itt that if anybody made a powkiddy v90 with analog sticks I'd buy two, I don't care if it costs more than an odin

And if those are the final colours, I'll buy three

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I wish the Miyoo Mini Plus came in fun colors like that. Closest I could get for fun was the transparent purple

I really like Miyoo's stuff though, my first gen Miyoo Mini is still truckin' along and it's been fine ever since I got it, I know they've done v2/v3 revisions but I have no issues with the v1

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone know of any USA based sellers that sell glass screen protectors for the RP3/+?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I took my MM+ apart to see what was going on with the volume button. It's the button itself, the little clicky part of the module is slightly too big, you can tell on the other volume button that it's slightly loose.

I tried to file it down a bit and it's not perfect but the button actually clicks now, so that's nice.

Missing that volume wheel right about now.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Also I went to go gently caress with my RG35XX and apparently I dropped something on it because there's a clear pinprick glass break (on the bezel side so I can live with it for now) and some scratches on the face

I don't deserve cheap Chinese garbage

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Thinking about selling my Retroid Pocket 3+ because I have an Odin and don't really use it. Figured I'd check in here and see if I should just post it on SA Mart.

It's the transparent blue one but I swapped the face buttons for the black ones.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
How much you thinking? I have an RP2+ but I am dumb with money.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Alucard posted:

How much you thinking? I have an RP2+ but I am dumb with money.

Thinking 130 USD including shipping.

eta: It's also got a screen protector on, and it also has a 256gb sd card in it, so I'd just throw that in.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 4, 2023

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Doctor Hospital posted:

Thinking 130 USD including shipping.

eta: It's also got a screen protector on, and it also has a 256gb sd card in it, so I'd just throw that in.

Where are you shipping from? Since my Steam Deck got stolen I've been pondering a new device.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

evilmiera posted:

Where are you shipping from? Since my Steam Deck got stolen I've been pondering a new device.

I'd be shipping from Georgia. I may be able to ship to Canada for a little extra, but within the US would be ideal.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Doctor Hospital posted:

I'd be shipping from Georgia. I may be able to ship to Canada for a little extra, but within the US would be ideal.

Ah, I'm in Europe, would be a bit difficult then. Thanks anyway!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I was one of the first 500 backers for the OG Aya Neo back in 2020. The first 500 units they shipped had some obvious issues and they shipped all of the first 500 upgrade kits which essentially upgraded the unit to the 2021 version.

I took it to Mexico and came back from the pool drunk and dropped it cracking the screen.

Luckily the upgrade kit came with a new screen

The only thing that stays the same is the motherboard, heat sink, and battery. Everything else is new.

The OG fan was pretty hosed as it would rub against the case for some reason if you moved the unit.

It’s kinda amazing how small the thing actually is.

It probably took me an hour and a half because I had to keep watching their YouTube video which kept skipping over stuff.

Overall the unit is 100% better. The buttons are perfect and the fan is much more quiet. Main complaint are the switch style thumb sticks.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

She cleans up real nice.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ioa8EcqFZs

An open-source handheld control panel application.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ayn is still struggling with the Loki

I’m only keeping my order because I got the discount and I paid for it like a year ago.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Don't post vaporware news, op.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Don't post vaporware news, op.

They showed a PCB!!

I really like my Odin a lot but drat I wouldn’t take a chance on anything they don’t already have made and are shipping lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know that "we're dropping these lower tier models because no-one bought them" is necessarily struggling, but it's in line with the Odin. They are going to ship Loki's, even if it takes way longer than they expected. Whether anyone will care given that the 6800U is already becoming old news with the ridiculous pace the handheld PC market is moving at is another question.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

welp all the idiots who loving played the new Legend of Zelda early just got Lockpick RCM and Skyline nuked by Nintendo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I expected fallout from it. Sucks rear end that it's damaging stuff well beyond idiot leakers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Photex posted:

welp all the idiots who loving played the new Legend of Zelda early just got Lockpick RCM and Skyline nuked by Nintendo.

I haven’t been following the specifics of this leak. Does that include people that may have legitimately bought the game early?

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Skyline wasn't nuked as far as I can tell. The devs got cold feet and decided to shut it down.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I haven’t been following the specifics of this leak. Does that include people that may have legitimately bought the game early?

No, it’s not out for another week. No stores are sending it out until Tuesday at the earliest. If you were playing it already you were playing the leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Picking up my RP3+ for the first time since getting the deck and this thing is tiny in comparison. I really don't see myself ever doing early retro stuff on the Deck with how portable this thing is.