Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
So ... uh... we're not just talking about that rancid pufferfish/inflation pun?

EDIT: Oh poo poo new page. Um... hey, did anyone watch Picard season 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I mean, do you see a fire?

Ooo, okay yeah fair, they even call it a self-heating cauldron earlier. I'm on edge!

sebmojo posted:

The parties plan has been clearly described, and so therefore cannot happen, the soup is getting more attention than any food in the run of the comic so far, and there are very visible runes on the cauldron. Also serini is off somewhere. Oh, and yeah belkar seeing the possibility of doing something he likes that's not murder.

Yeah they're hosed lol

It's like in an anime fight, the character you can hear the internal monologue of is almost always about to get their rear end handed to them

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

sfwarlock posted:

So ... uh... we're not just talking about that rancid pufferfish/inflation pun?

We don't need to make everything about your fetish

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

sebmojo posted:

The parties plan has been clearly described, and so therefore cannot happen, the soup is getting more attention than any food in the run of the comic so far, and there are very visible runes on the cauldron. Also serini is off somewhere. Oh, and yeah belkar seeing the possibility of doing something he likes that's not murder.

Yeah they're hosed lol

Serini is eating the soup in panel 1, that's no secret.

Also Roy is having a secret telepathic conversation with Durkon, which is clearly the secret part of the plan that lets the verbalized part go off without a hitch. Rich has already lampshaded the convention of the narrative jinx several times, we're about due for a subversion.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

sebmojo posted:

Yeah they're hosed lol

Counterpoint delaying things any further would be stupid.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dr Pepper posted:

Counterpoint delaying things any further would be stupid.

Oh for sure. I'm routinely wrong about this kind of thing so you're probably best assuming I'm wrong about this too lol

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

sebmojo posted:

Yeah they're hosed lol

Doesn't necessarily have to be soup stuff, though. It's been established that Serini hasn't so much as looked at the final dungeon since she set it up all those decades ago, and they're expecting Redcloak and Xykon to take days to get there. There's plenty of time for some unexpected poo poo to be going on in there.

There's no way they're gonna leisurely search a stasis-ified dungeon for a perfect spot to set up an ambush, and then camp out for 3-4 days. Something is going to go horribly wrong, for sure. It just probably doesn't have anything to do with the soup pot.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Also there is a very easy way to Serini to sabotage this that doesn't involve any forgetting juice. All she has to do is go into the final dungeon right now, all alone, while they are talking. They won't have another way of getting in.

But I think there's been too many delays, so yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this is just giving the order one last moment to rest before things get crazy.

There's other ways this could go wrong anyways. Like something being very wrong with the final dungeon, issues with the stasis traps or Serini getting attacked by team evil before they make it there, the IFCC pulls out whatever gambit they are going for, etc etc.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SlothfulCobra posted:

Community service!

Although saving the world and the future of all realities would probably be good enough to earn some kind of pardon, and especially if he seems to be turning over a new [Bitter]leaf, then maybe some kind of probation period to make sure he's adopting to a less-murder lifestyle would be good enough.

Paladins are cautious, I can see a few years of community service before a full pardon. He gets into the most trouble when he's bored, so Hinjo forcing him to do productive and satisfying work for a few years would be good for his rehabilitation.

You know, if he wasn't about to die.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

habeasdorkus posted:

Even taking 10 gets you a 14, which is probably not michelin quality but should be pretty good so long as you've got decent ingredients.

Yeah but it's 4 ranks in gourmet chef, not regular chef. So I imagine it confers a stronger effect.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

sfwarlock posted:

Hahaha yeah the scene you're probably alluding to is like nearly 1:1 to Oots, that was incredible.

e: I went back and reviewed things, the only thing that makes me not thing its the couldron is that clearly when it had the amnesia potion it was full of the stuff that was a clear green liquid and Serini clearly said that to lose even a weeks memories didn't a vial of the actual potion. Belkar clearly just cooked regular soup which he's been presumably taste testing the entire time and would know if something is wrong.

Likewise Serini said the couldron was merely a self-heating couldron (hence the runes) and I figure Varsuuvius of all people should be able to tell if this isn't the case.

There is also the narrative issue of everyone losing their memories does maybe seem like a bit much even when the pacing is considered in terms of being a book.

I think something else goes wrong even though the soup sure is making me nervous.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 5, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Belkar's lucky he isn't going to be executed. Until very recently he was murdering random people he met if they bored him or weren't immediately useful. It took a powerful, debilitating curse to even slow him down. His morality was somewhere in the vicinity of Xykon's and he arguably had even less self control. A prison sentence he'll love to see the other side of seems pretty fair to me.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
is there a 3.5 version of hero's feast?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

There is also the narrative issue of everyone losing their memories does maybe seem like a bit much even when the pacing is considered in terms of being a book.

I think something else goes wrong even though the soup sure is making me nervous.

Yeah and I think it's possible conflict won't be delayed for much longer anyways.

The comic has drawn some attention to Redcloak's usage of level 9 spells today with his casting of Implosion and Gate. And we know that a level 9 spell slot is needed for the ritual to seal the Snarl. So there's at least a couple of scenarios where running out of 9th level spells could matter a lot here.

So if that does happen to be something important, then something major has to happen before dusk and Redcloak refreshes his spells. So there's at least that time limit for something to happen, assuming that is going to be something that matters anyways.

Though it definitely would be fitting if Redcloak gets specifically screwed over because he wasted a spell slot to cast Implosion at Durkon. Since that would be at least one consequence for upending a good faith negotiation like that anyways.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 5, 2023

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I admit, showing everyone eating the soup does feel suspicious... but I feel like Serini doesn't really have a motive anymore to screw everyone over. I suppose it's possible that maybe she didn't believe the gods being willing to dumpster the world and this is just a con, but...

sebmojo posted:

Yeah they're hosed lol

That's not exactly it. A plan which has been described cannot be shown and things go perfectly according to the plan (because that would be repetitive and thus boring). A described plan can still go perfectly if they skip over the "carrying the plan out" part and go to the end. Most commonly, though, is when you show a plan you described, but unexpected complications ensue.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jokes on us, the Snarl's just been making soup the whole time. That's why there's so much water on the other side of the rift. What is an ocean but a really big fish soup, after all? And thus, Belkar will undo the Snarl at the cost of his own life by doing his best Gordon Ramsay impression and shattering the Snarl's self esteem. Outraged at a mortal critiquing its cooking, in the Snarl's dying moments, it will make pull Belkar through the rift and make one last Halfling Drop Soup.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
the Snarl can't handle critique of its bouillabaisse.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just thought it was a heroes feast

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

sfwarlock posted:

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hahaha yeah the scene you're probably alluding to is like nearly 1:1 to Oots, that was incredible.

I actually said “oh, it’s gonna be the Durkon thing, isn’t it,” as it was happening. I’m not saying the Star Trek writer’s room is cribbing off of popular webcomics for their big emotional beats, but if they are, they picked one of the best.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sfwarlock posted:

Yes. Anyone got any of Serini's amnesia potion?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
All this worrying about the soup and nobody theorizing that Belkar breathing his last won't be because he dies, but because he gets shoved into a stasis box?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Archenteron posted:

All this worrying about the soup and nobody theorizing that Belkar breathing his last won't be because he dies, but because he gets shoved into a stasis box?

Still will be in the box forever. Not much of a difference.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Gun Jam posted:

Still will be in the box forever. Not much of a difference.

In a world where the afterlife provably exists, it's actually a lot worse.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

instantrunoffvote posted:

In a world where the afterlife provably exists, it's actually a lot worse.

That depends on which one you're heading for, imho.

Why are y'all spoiler tagging, by the way? The prophecy was discussed in the mainline strip. None of this is book-specific knowledge.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My money's still on apotheosis.

with a small side bet on "dies and somehow goes to Valhalla, opts for a gg no re"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I always figured Belkar would be a free-willed undead as a way of satisfying the prophecy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The other thing that occurred to me was that the amnesia potion route would be narratively very similar to the illusion trap of Girard gate. Maybe that in of itself would serve a purpose, such as an ironic echo, contrast who there were and what they are now. I dunno but I think it's a point no one else brought out.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I think Belkar will loving die

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I think belkar will die loving

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The Belkar, the

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I always figured Belkar would be a free-willed undead as a way of satisfying the prophecy.

This makes sense - Belkar as a lich lord ruling the North Pole would be a fun end to his story

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The X-man cometh posted:

This makes sense - Belkar as a lich lord ruling the North Pole would be a fun end to his story

There always must be a lich lord.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Sexy shoeless lich of war!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nenonen posted:

Sexy shoeless lich of war!

Maybe he'll be the new god of war with his own quiddity?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Belkar is gonna die and you're gonna have your heartstrings tore.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

reignofevil posted:

Belkar is gonna die and you're gonna have your heartstrings tore.

Not if I die of old age before then.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Or global warming kills all of us prior

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Burlew racing the death of the sun to post page 1327 in time

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

You must understand, young posters, it takes a long time to say anything in Rich Burlewish. And he never says anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I'm not convinced belkar's death will emotionally affect me.