Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

a tweet that can give you brain damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
elon has been on this earth for 51 years, rich for all of them

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Filthy Hans posted:

every time i try to read it i just turn into :goofy: irl

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shrecknet posted:

AD was always ahead of its time

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Filthy Hans posted:

he really has been Trump the whole time, just flying under the radar of public consciousness

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

how is spraying concrete dust and chunks of metal/concrete on a wildlife reserve the "greastest good for all" ?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

toggle posted:

how is spraying concrete dust and chunks of metal/concrete on a wildlife reserve the "greastest good for all" ?

The government handed Elon musk billions of dollars to do it.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

ikanreed posted:

The government handed Elon musk billions of dollars to do it.

so good :blessed:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

dang shirly ann fisk, grandma

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

toggle posted:

preserving the light of consciousness

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010

RandomBlue posted:

dang shirly ann fisk, grandma

Now I post as Shirley Ann Fisk, Grandma!

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010
here's a real question for the people in this thread: do you think musk is at all sincere in his lofty stated ambitions? like, the stuff about wanting to solve global warming and make humanity a multi-planet species and bring about the future from comic books and all that.

I don't know, I guess at some level I think that he genuinely is the kind of sci-fi nerd tech-fetishist that so many of his fans are and that he genuinely believes that, long-term, he's saving the world, even if there are hiccups along the way.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

here's a real question for the people in this thread: do you think musk is at all sincere in his lofty stated ambitions? like, the stuff about wanting to solve global warming and make humanity a multi-planet species and bring about the future from comic books and all that.

I don't know, I guess at some level I think that he genuinely is the kind of sci-fi nerd tech-fetishist that so many of his fans are and that he genuinely believes that, long-term, he's saving the world, even if there are hiccups along the way.

he is, and it is epic.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

I think he desperately wants people to like him and look up to him and he thinks that appearing to work on those things will help yea

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Elon is only sincere in his self regard. He's taken up those causes only as much as they bring him praise from other people. They exist only as a projected surface to cover his raw narcissism. I wouldn't be surprised if he believes that he holds those goals sincerely, but they would change in an instant if he felt that his preferred zeitgeist changed its mind, and he would experience zero cognitive dissonance in doing so.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Good Citizen posted:

I think he desperately wants people to like him and look up to him and he thinks that appearing to work on those things will help yea

:hmmyes:

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
he also truly believes the reason the problems still exist is because he wasn't the one working on them, and as long as he's in charge they will be fixed. Literally everyone else in the world is incapable of solving these issues but him.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

LegoMan posted:

he also truly believes the reason the problems still exist is because he wasn't the one working on them, and as long as he's in charge they will be fixed. Literally everyone else in the world is incapable of solving these issues but him.

Yeah, he's a real life megalomaniac narcissist. It's wild they aren't just in cartoons

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

edit: this is not the nhl playoffs thread

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
he also thinks he can snap his fingers and buy anything he wants on a whim. and to be fair he's right.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Escape Goat posted:

But you just know Musk has a decade-stale “release the Kraken” joke ready if anyone ever asks him for an opinion about the event. Also queued up: “rock you like a Hurricane”.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1654324102415482880

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

yes in the sense i think he genuinely believes that when he says it but I don't think there's anything resembling a long term strategy or plan so much as just blurting whatever pops into his head at a given time and he's a big doofus.

basically i think he is like a lot of dumb guys that think they are smart in that he thinks he's the first one that ever thought of something. i think i said earlier in this thread that to me he is the apex of the "idea guy" from many mmo/game forums that doesn't really have a skill (even his paypal code was legendarily lovely) but just wants to sit around and think up great ideas. like in an mmo it'd be like "pfft why don't you just take the skill system of star wars galaxies and the pvp system of ultima online but have a fully destructible world bing bong so simple, the only reason devs don't do it is they're lazy".

well if you have even a modicum of knowledge of software development, game development, game knowledge, etc., you'd know it's not "devs are lazy" so much as "the skill system of star wars galaxies" and "the pvp system of ultima online" and "a fully destructible world" are all incredibly complex problems *on their own* to say nothing of MMOs on their own being incredibly complex, so mashing all four of those things together is building something exponentially complex if it could even theoretically be done. and then, of course, you have the biggest questions: would you be making something people would even want to play? would it sell? would it be any good?

but the thing is: to an idea guy, it is not the "doing of the thing" that is hard because they have no idea how to do it and they don't really care. to them it is "merely" doing the work so they don't value it at all. To them the hard part is "coming up with the great idea". like ANYONE can write game code, PFFT, but *I alone* have the secret of success in my Great Idea.

in games idea guys are always crushed/pissed when they run into actual game developers who tell them "um yeah literally all of us have hundreds of great ideas for things we'd like to do, have you ever actually, like, made a game? because it's pretty hard. you should probably do that." the number of "idea guys" that actually have jobs as "idea guys", you could probably count on your hands, and usually they have shipped enough titles that they can kind of coast on their cool ideas (because they actually have cool ideas that actually do make good games that actually do sell, these are all important).

ol' musky is a little bit different in that he has a shitload of money so he can buy his way into companies. as we've heard about in this thread, at many of those he's had entire teams of people dedicated to showing him shiny things and massaging his ego and keeping him away from the people who actually do work and telling him "of course sir brilliant idea sir" and he gets to actually BE the idea guy and boss the engineers around but, like, he's always bought his way into reasonably competent places that can take the blow of having a doofus in charge to generate publicity and drive sales while the engineers actually build the product. like yeah, he makes stupid decisions at tesla and the fart app is dumb as poo poo, but he does sell cars. i mean that has literally been the largely successful legal strategy in several Tesla-related trials. "yeah he's full of poo poo, but everyone knows it, and the guy sells lots of cars."

the problem is at twitter, that ablative layer of "keep ol' musky from touching the important poo poo" people wasn't in place so he's actually loving with stuff that matters and twitter isn't a hype and sales and government contract driven company. twitter is a content and user driven company. twitter is driven by the twitter-brained weirdos that love tweeting, so you need to keep them engaged, and a lot of them were the very libs and the lib media class he set out to antagonize from the beginning because he bought the line it was government censorship keeping conservatives down in the town square and once he freed the speech everyone would back him because america.

anyway his fans do relate to him because he is literally a I loving Love Science guy like them. does he *actually have* a plan to make mars remotely livable? lmao, no, of course not. nasa has vague plans to build a base on the moon and there are some ideas but it is extremely hard if you know a thing about it. but if you don't know anything at all, it seems easy. "i would simply build a big rocket out of, i dunno, stainless steel or something, then i'd fly some people to mars, build a base, bing bong the light of consciousness is extended, so simple."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth has issued a correction as of 05:41 on May 5, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

yes in the sense i think he genuinely believes that when he says it but I don't think there's anything resembling a long term strategy or plan so much as just blurting whatever pops into his head at a given time and he's a big doofus.

basically i think he is like a lot of dumb guys that think they are smart in that he thinks he's the first one that ever thought of something. i think i said earlier in this thread that to me he is the apex of the "idea guy" from many mmo/game forums that doesn't really have a skill (even his paypal code was legendarily lovely) but just wants to sit around and think up great ideas. like in an mmo it'd be like "pfft why don't you just take the skill system of star wars galaxies and the pvp system of ultima online but have a fully destructible world bing bong so simple, the only reason devs don't do it is they're lazy".

well if you have even a modicum of knowledge of software development, game development, game knowledge, etc., you'd know it's not "devs are lazy" so much as "the skill system of star wars galaxies" and "the pvp system of ultima online" and "a fully destructible world" are all incredibly complex problems *on their own* to say nothing of MMOs on their own being incredibly complex, so mashing all four of those things together is building something exponentially complex if it could even theoretically be done. and then, of course, you have the biggest questions: would you be making something people would even want to play? would it sell? would it be any good?

but the thing is: to an idea guy, it is not the "doing of the thing" that is hard because they have no idea how to do it and they don't really care. to them it is "merely" doing the work so they don't value it at all. To them the hard part is "coming up with the great idea". like ANYONE can write game code, PFFT, but *I alone* have the secret of success in my Great Idea.

in games idea guys are always crushed/pissed when they run into actual game developers who tell them "um yeah literally all of us have hundreds of great ideas for things we'd like to do, have you ever actually, like, made a game? because it's pretty hard. you should probably do that." the number of "idea guys" that actually have jobs as "idea guys", you could probably count on your hands, and usually they have shipped enough titles that they can kind of coast on their cool ideas (because they actually have cool ideas that actually do make good games that actually do sell, these are all important).

ol' musky is a little bit different in that he has a shitload of money so he can buy his way into companies. as we've heard about in this thread, at many of those he's had entire teams of people dedicated to showing him shiny things and massaging his ego and keeping him away from the people who actually do work and telling him "of course sir brilliant idea sir" and he gets to actually BE the idea guy and boss the engineers around but, like, he's always bought his way into reasonably competent places that can take the blow of having a doofus in charge to generate publicity and drive sales while the engineers actually build the product. like yeah, he makes stupid decisions at tesla and the fart app is dumb as poo poo, but he does sell cars. i mean that has literally been the largely successful legal strategy in several Tesla-related trials. "yeah he's full of poo poo, but everyone knows it, and the guy sells lots of cars."

the problem is at twitter, that ablative layer of "keep ol' musky from touching the important poo poo" people wasn't in place so he's actually loving with stuff that matters and twitter isn't a hype and sales and government contract driven company. twitter is a content and user driven company. twitter is driven by the twitter-brained weirdos that love tweeting, so you need to keep them engaged, and a lot of them were the very libs and the lib media class he set out to antagonize from the beginning because he bought the line it was government censorship keeping conservatives down in the town square and once he freed the speech everyone would back him because america.

anyway his fans do relate to him because he is literally a I loving Love Science guy like them. does he *actually have* a plan to make mars remotely livable? lmao, no, of course not. nasa has vague plans to build a base on the moon and there are some ideas but it is extremely hard if you know a thing about it. but if you don't know anything at all, it seems easy. "i would simply build a big rocket out of, i dunno, stainless steel or something, then i'd fly some people to mars, build a base, bing bong the light of consciousness is extended, so simple."

:goofy:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
long term problems require no current solutions

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
remember a bunch of his texts/DMs came out during one of the trials.

he really does believe his own bullshit. and a lot of other "elites" (lol) he talks with daily are also just objectively dumber than some random guy off the street.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Looking into this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Elon Musk Ftw.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

interesting that all his solutions involve things that make money for him

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if i were going to compare musk to an MMO forum deranged poster i'd skip the ideas guys and go straight to the guy who posted about vagine bones on the marvel heroes forum

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Also, epic printer scene in Office Space

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

this is what happens when you increase the character limit

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

lol he's dumb

chird
Sep 26, 2004

rodbeard posted:

Looking into this

Knew this was coming and still lolled when it scrolled into view, oh well brain broken I guess

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

RandomBlue posted:

this is what happens when you increase the character limit

basically i think he is like a lot of dumb guys that think they ar Show More...

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

oh man now I want this

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

he always manages to surprise me, he really is a buffoon

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Escape Goat posted:

Twitter is the best place to watch NHL playoffs

and this thread is the right place to discuss what you see on Twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

You could just type "he is the typically dumb rich guy".