Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

I spent a fair amount of time in Canada growing up and I always thought it was so funny how there were like famous artists, celebrities and TV shows that Americans just, didn't know existed. There were crossovers of course and HGTV and Food Network launched with a shitload of Canadian content, it was just funny how just over the border there were these like legit famous Canadians that people just didn't know about.

Canadians created Paw Patrol and for that I am eternally spiteful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
canadians also created caillou

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

I spent a fair amount of time in Canada growing up and I always thought it was so funny how there were like famous artists, celebrities and TV shows that Americans just, didn't know existed. There were crossovers of course and HGTV and Food Network launched with a shitload of Canadian content, it was just funny how just over the border there were these like legit famous Canadians that people just didn't know about.

Everyone knows Justin Bieber and Nickelback, but did Canada ever officially apologized for them?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

mobby_6kl posted:

Everyone knows Justin Bieber and Nickelback, but did Canada ever officially apologized for them?

we gave you drake and the weeknd at least?

sum 41 was our fault too though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Brian Adams

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

That’s Bryan Adams to you, mister

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

We gave y’all Rush, we don’t have to apologize for poo poo :colbert:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Canada is so worthless that even the magnetic North Pole has left them.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YFR20MmvpM

is it weird i have some immediate doubts about the accuracy of their testing results? not for any specific reason like i care about specific cooling solutions, i just wonder if their big new testing setup is that well constructed or precise based on.....how slapdash everything at LMG is

i don't have these same doubts about GN

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GN also really likes the peerless assassin though. If anything, it's closer to the D15 in their testing than in LMG's.

My biggest issue with that video is the complete lack of noise testing. I know he mentioned they want to do noise normalized results eventually too, but not mentioning noise at all completely glosses over a large part of the reason why people buy aftermarket CPU coolers.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
as someone who'd done a pure 140mm case and had to get a rear 120mm for my new case, it kinda blew my mind how silent 140mm fans can be compared to 120

i think the lack of talk about noise normalization also falls into the same issue i have with conversations about cooling where we don't talk about the specific fan curves people set up. a lot of people end up going aio because it's less fidgeting with that kind of stuff with temps taking much longer to ramp up and down

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think with fans and coolers you can't test for custom fan curves outside normalised testing, because most people are just going to leave it on default. So test how good those defaults are.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kliras posted:

as someone who'd done a pure 140mm case and had to get a rear 120mm for my new case, it kinda blew my mind how silent 140mm fans can be compared to 120

Larger fans are generally perceived as quieter even at the same dB due to having a lower pitch. Like if you set up one PC with all 140s and one with 120s and tweak them so they are exactly the same in an acoustic chamber, then put them in a room, the 140 will sound quieter.

One is that a lower pitch is less noticeable / annoying. But second is that higher pitch sound tends to reflect off smooth hard surfaces better, so the back side of your PC pointed at a wall will bounce noise out to you.

kliras posted:

i think the lack of talk about noise normalization also falls into the same issue i have with conversations about cooling where we don't talk about the specific fan curves people set up. a lot of people end up going aio because it's less fidgeting with that kind of stuff with temps taking much longer to ramp up and down

The fact that every major mobo maker has bios fan control with hysteresis, but they all ship with it set to zero so fans instantly ramp up and down in a very annoying way is IMO a drat shame. Even a stock cooler is often more annoying because of the uneven noise than the pure loudness.

I dunno, I think noise testing is really tough in general. Clearly some type of normalization is really important, even if you're not using a professional acoustic chamber. LTT just went and said positive things about a loving 120mm radiator AIO in 2023, because no noise testing. What GN does is much better, but even GN doesn't test everything and has a hole or two in their results.

(The big one being idle noise in case reviews, which TBF they are aware of and is really hard to test. But it's the one thing that a non-mesh case is potentially superior for.)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Klyith posted:

The fact that every major mobo maker has bios fan control with hysteresis, but they all ship with it set to zero so fans instantly ramp up and down in a very annoying way is IMO a drat shame. Even a stock cooler is often more annoying because of the uneven noise than the pure loudness.

I think I'll die of old age before I see a BIOS that has a fan scheme as flexible and bug-free as FanControl

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Linus: You're paying too much for a CPU cooler.
Also Linus: Buy a 1000W PSU.

roomtwofifteen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YFR20MmvpM

is it weird i have some immediate doubts about the accuracy of their testing results? not for any specific reason like i care about specific cooling solutions, i just wonder if their big new testing setup is that well constructed or precise based on.....how slapdash everything at LMG is

i don't have these same doubts about GN
Considering Linus has a long history of both major and minor incompetence, it's not surprising you have a hard time trusting the data they're claiming.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Considering Linus has a long history of both major and minor incompetence, it's not surprising you have a hard time trusting the data they're claiming.
i don't know what part of the video it refers to, but they apparently also screwed up some basic maths in it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kliras posted:

i don't know what part of the video it refers to, but they apparently also screwed up some basic maths in it?

Linus mentioned that the added cost of the D15 is "only about 2.3 percent of the total price" of their example high-end PC build. This is basically correct, but when showing the math, the video editor forgot to deduct the cost of the Peerless Assassin from the cost of the D15. So they showed 109.95/2603.81 = 2.6% instead of (109.95-42.90)/2603.81 = 2.6% (there was a small price change in the peerless assassin). It was just a video editing error, so the math in the script was still correct.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kliras posted:

Sorry, reddit is NXDOMAIN'd on my network, so I can't read that post.

EDIT: Oh, Dr. Video Games 0031 posted with an explanation that gives it context.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CBD Corndog posted:

We gave y’all Rush, we don’t have to apologize for poo poo :colbert:

What about the Rush fans!?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

mobby_6kl posted:

What about the Rush fans!?

Probably mostly american though

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

With noctua you are paying for 2 things.

1. Being quiet

2. Staying quiet

1 is pretty easy, but its that second part that youtube testing out of the box wont notice unfortunately.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I recently pulled a noctura fan from my case that i think has been in service 24/7 since 2012. it was fine. the only issue with it is the new case was all 140mm fans and my little 120mm fan no longer has a place in the 140mm world

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I recently bought a couple Noctua fans and they weren't even that expensive. Just a couple bucks more than the cheap fans.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

With noctua you are paying for 2 things.

1. Brown

2. Beige

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Not all of noctua's fans are the premium stuff. They have some cheaper stuff too, though if you're talking in the $10 range, then Arctic still reigns supreme there. Their new P12 Max fans seem good, though I've seen multiple people report inconsistent bearing noise between multiple fans, with some of their fans being kind of annoying. So I guess you get what you pay for. Noctua offers a very consistent experience, and their products survive years of abuse.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I never really thought of noctua as that much more expensive and having something that Just Works for at least the life of one PC (ie 2-3 years, although I have one that is 8+ years and still going strong) is well worth the minor cost difference imo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It’s really not that minor for many people.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty much any fan will last 2-3 years even running 24/7.

I'm sure Noctua fans are better but it's hard to say by how much without doing an A/B test myself and I could never be bothered.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I bought a rad Noctua hoodie a while back
It's incredibly warm, and easily the highest quality clothing I've seen.
Thankfully they have dropped the terrible writing on the rear.
10/10 will probably buy the other colour next year.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
speaking of noctua

https://twitter.com/Noctua_at/status/1655858851160236032

i like that they keep it simple

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Okay, but no matter how much we praise them for building fans that last a decade, do Not buy a $35 fan hub lmao.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Don't miss the part where they didn't put a cover on the top of it because that would obscure the status LEDs that you will definitely be looking at all the time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Exposed power pins are always an excellent design choice

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Okay, but no matter how much we praise them for building fans that last a decade, do Not buy a $35 fan hub lmao.
they'd have to last a decade when noctua take that long to release the follow-up

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The case that I bought in 2016 and still use came with a 6 channel fan hub that looks pretty much exactly like that

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
one of the dumbest experiences i've had with a case was where be quiet would have a proper fan hub for their tempered "pro" cases and some useless nerfed version if you didn't feel like peering into your rgb carousel

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Rubellavator posted:

The case that I bought in 2016 and still use came with a 6 channel fan hub that looks pretty much exactly like that

The back of the thing is actually somewhat complicated:

But I still have no idea who actually asked for any of this.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

my more or less entry level enthusiast overclocking mobo has four fan headers on it and seems to have no problem driving any sort of combination of fans and rgb silliness.

so you do wonder who that product is for

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wasn't it an extremely lovely fan hub PCB (voltage traces running underneath screw heads) that was a fire hazard on those NZXT cases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

power crystals posted:

The back of the thing is actually somewhat complicated:

But I still have no idea who actually asked for any of this.

flip it the other way and it's

You vs the guy she told you not to worry about