Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Fantastic seeing the new truck under the camper. It feels... proper I guess. If and when you put a new frame under the brick nose I'd totally pay for a chunk of the old one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Way it sounds donk will either be parted out or sold off. Just seems like the amount of time money and effort will be massive especially if csb and partner don't really have a permanent home or storage.

Thinks what a 30-40 year old truck? And you likely have a junked as gently caress trans after putting in another engine and a welded frame? As is the amount of time and effort is more then I could see myself doing, however some of it was due to them not having other options ie the frame and engine at the time. Those were spots were you had to do something because you didn't have a second option at the time like you do now, that and the ability to get a transmission that was functional likely was way more risky then the other situations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
It's gotta get fixed enough to get outta here and make it to where I can deal with it appropriately.
I go back and forth between pulling the engine and putting it in something else or rebuilding this truck on another frame. A diesel bronco would be awesome. Buuut it could also work as a truck at the homestead. It wouldn't be my first frame swap, nor my last.
We're well beyond the point of throwing good money after bad or pretending this is an investment. Initially I was thinking of selling the truck for the price of the engine. He shut that one down. I can't sell it as a working truck knowing what the frame is. I don't care about a shithoused transmission. The frame ain' good news. F-super frames are not super common anymore but they are dirt cheap and good for a gvr of 15k. They also bolt in.

Theres far too many unknowns right now, especially with my lack of shop.I'm purposefully indecisive and trying to not make any commitments with permanent outcomes.
It has some things going for it. However it's not a 1997 F250 or a 2nd gen dodge though it is an all mechanical pre-emissions diesel truck that is not deep in maintenance debt for its age.
It's a good utility and possibly service truck for whatever shop I do end up in.
It'll drink B100/algae fuels/synthetics/waste oils/etc without a care. The 550 needs special care to run B20. Anything else will wreck its 8k dollar fuel system built of one-time-use-only parts.
Stanadyne does have a DCR pump that drops in and is biofuel compatible... I still can't sit my old rear end under the hood to work on it though.

Transmission related: I found diagrams of the idi sae2 bell last night. Its narrower than the exhaust manifolds which means I could run a 5/6 speed bus box. May need to adjust the fire wall slightly or work it out with the transmission mount.
Good because the 4 speed option hasn't proved a good OD aux box yet. GV doesn't like reverse power flow, brownies will explode, fuller aux boxes are as big as the short block and weigh nearly as much.
And ZF6 cores are now 2k with remans in the 4-6k dollar range with nothing for a ZF5 shy of buying a running parts truck.

There's also been some context that hasn't been posted about really because the proof in the pudding is in the eating. Like going from theory in class to applying it. I've put almost 2000 miles on the 550 so far with the camper. When I first got the 550 I was okay with the notion of parting out or selling the 350. Now at the time of this lengthy shitpost? No, the 550 goes.

While the 550 is a total beast it is also a loving princess. It's quite complicated for what it is and is extremely picky about everything. It seriously reminds me of '00s era German engineering.
For now it's a tool. A utility. I doubt that this vehicle is long term maintainable given my experience with it so far. It'll do what we need it to do then it will move on and I'll build something else because I'll have a shop. This thing is like working on a macbook; you don't. Use it, throw it away when it's old. Modern diesels are bullshit that actually aren't built for this and I will fully break this apart later. And when it does go wrong, no chuddy rear end diesel shop wants to work all of a sudden. If I'm gonna work on it all the loving time I at least want it to be easy to work on.

Donk was built to tender the bus and build us a home. I asked it to become my home and that was too much. I will make the 550 will do this. After that? Who the gently caress knows. Put your seatbelt on.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Comedy option: 3d scan everything around the frame and CAD + build a new one out of 4x8 3/8 wall box tube that fits everything you want including a real transmission

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jesus, I've blown some clutches up, but that.... that's special.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

kastein posted:

Comedy option: 3d scan everything around the frame and CAD + build a new one out of 4x8 3/8 wall box tube that fits everything you want including a real transmission

Just watched this today, the price on decent scanners is getting within reach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rORuE8Oyxd0

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
The $18k 3d scanner I bought at work 5 years ago can be matched by a $700 hobbyist level gadget these days so yeah, scanners got crazy good and crazy cheap.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I hosed around with kinect and primitive lidar stuff ages ago. $700 is a hell of an entry point for pro grade 3d scanning. Though used Iphones are cheaper and can do nearly as much.

In the before times the lovely 2D lidars were cost prohibitive to fuckabout with. They're like $30 lego now. I'd like to bastardize one using some crt tricks to cobble 3d scanning together point cloud style.
My husband is working from the photogrammetry side of things.

STR posted:

Jesus, I've blown some clutches up, but that.... that's special.

It's by far my personal best. Including the time I busted a festiva transmission in half pouring its guts onto the road.

kastein posted:

That involves making new spring mounts. Ugh, I guess.The short leaves suck anyway.
A straight frame brick would put the cab at roughly F650 mud truck levels of hilarious body lift. Could fit 44" thornturds easy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

cursedshitbox posted:

It's by far my personal best. Including the time I busted a festiva transmission in half pouring its guts onto the road.

I've managed that on a roommate's 90 Integra. Split the fucker sidestepping the clutch, but drove home (a lot harder to shift and making funny noises). He kept driving it for a few weeks after, that fucker took FOREVER to finally die. But when it did, it locked up the gearbox, and I'm sure that what I did was just the final nail in the coffin.

Apparently a common problem on cable clutch B series transmissions? Diff pin breaks and splits the case, but it's still held together enough to work.. till it locks up. G2IC claimed you could drive it for a long time after the pin broke before it'd split, so the torque (lol Honda? Torque?) of sidestepping probably just split it open where the diff pin had already been eating through it.

Good thing I had a 91 Integra for both of us to drive - automatic on that one, same color tho. So much slower (and pretty stock compared to his). And a 96 Civic that told a lot of knock knock jokes.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 8, 2023

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

This you?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

cursedshitbox posted:

That involves making new spring mounts. Ugh, I guess.The short leaves suck anyway.
A straight frame brick would put the cab at roughly F650 mud truck levels of hilarious body lift. Could fit 44" thornturds easy.

Oh yeah, I was thinking miter cut, bend, butt weld, and fish plate as needed to make it (roughly) factory frame shaped so it wouldn't look like a yeehaw lick n stick job.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

cursedshitbox posted:

A diesel bronco would be awesome.

I think you know what my vote is.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
In all seriousness, the main reason I picked a 6.7 cummins over the other two was the ability to work on it. The engine bay is crowded but not nearly 6.7 psd or l5p crowded. It’s manageable. The fuel system is comprised of the same single use parts, but slightly fewer and with the more reliable injection pump. The fuel passes through 2 filters and has an electric pump in the tank, compared to the duramax with 1 filter and relying on the CP3 to pull from the tank. There are tuning options because the ECU is not encrypted like the l5p. So yeah, I get the sentiment on the 6.7 vs IDI. Its a monumental leap in technology. But imho no way around it. The older any vehicle gets the less reliable it will be and interstates are no longer limited to 55.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Oh yeah, I was thinking miter cut, bend, butt weld, and fish plate as needed to make it (roughly) factory frame shaped so it wouldn't look like a yeehaw lick n stick job.

I was thinking about this post posting. The miter cut might be the most difficult op in the whole chain as i'd need thou level precision. I have lasers to facilitate this. I'd make a jig to set it up since I'd build the joint 4x symmetrically. think: forward flat section above the axle, below the engine. drop below the cab, then rear flat section above the rear axle below the bed. I'll schematic this up with weldments and possibly the jigs when I get time.

Admiral Bosch posted:

I think you know what my vote is.

Ok but diesel bronco with a slide in lithium powered utility body where the roof pops off?
Going bronco would mean that I could relax the stick requirement and go 6R140.. maybe. They're too short to stack a bunch of cheap old gearboxes underneath like donk is.

rdb posted:

In all seriousness, the main reason I picked a 6.7 cummins over the other two was the ability to work on it. The engine bay is crowded but not nearly 6.7 psd or l5p crowded. It’s manageable. The fuel system is comprised of the same single use parts, but slightly fewer and with the more reliable injection pump. The fuel passes through 2 filters and has an electric pump in the tank, compared to the duramax with 1 filter and relying on the CP3 to pull from the tank. There are tuning options because the ECU is not encrypted like the l5p. So yeah, I get the sentiment on the 6.7 vs IDI. Its a monumental leap in technology. But imho no way around it. The older any vehicle gets the less reliable it will be and interstates are no longer limited to 55.

Yeah for sure. That was an oversight on my part. I expected it to not break as often as a 30 year old 750 thousand mile 7.3. And when it did, a shop would be willing to work on it since it's a generic rear end modern diesel truck that literally every oil, gas, and powerco use.
I didn't like the mopar box. The aisin is reportedly fine though. I am afraid I'd break any and all ram frames that isn't a 1963 powerwagon D300 with a straight rail. I do really like how much more open the 6.7 cummins is under the hood than the PSD or Duramax. I can actually see the injection pump and turbo on the ram...
the psd 6.7 is incredibly crowded and complex for the 300hp/660lb-ft it makes. There's nothing about that I like as an engineer. There's a literal ton of one time use tty bolts on this engine. That is not field serviceability. I did have false notions that I could pay shops to work on this thing. Soon we'll get to tear it all the gently caress apart on a road side because nObOdY wAnTs To WoRk. That's been weeks ago and I'm still mad as hell about it.
CP4s in the 6.7 PSDS are way overblown. from what I read it's mostly dildo the flatlander pouring def in their diesel tank and vise versa. Some others that spun filters on and immediately tried to go the races without bleeding them. FORScan has a feature for filter bleeding. The pcm also runs the pump for 30 seconds on key on. It's a dual filter system with a 10 mic + separator and 2 micron fine. The lift pump (diesel fuel conditioning module) generates something like 55psi of head with its on built in air evacuating system similar to what I built into the idi. Filters every other oil change. Don't run poo poo diesel or wmo. Exactly the same care regimen I used for the old idi.
Then there's the Stanadyne DCR that's supposedly as bombproof as the old rear end db2 on the idi which may open the possibility of alternative fuels?
GM has always been allergic to lift pumps even in the LB7 days. I had a comeback once because the aluminum filter housing distorted just enough to suck air by the filter when cold and lose prime.
I would have absolutely bought a 4wd pre cp4 topkick. But lol those are more unobtainium than non crewab 4wd 5500/550s are.
Donk was built for a 55mph world and it shows. It never really liked being pushed much over 65. The lack of intercooler was part of why. Tbh the new truck doesn't either. Its runs through fuel and shits up its dpf faster.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Diesel Electric Hybrid Bronco, there's the rub

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

cursedshitbox posted:

dildo the flatlander

If anybody is looking for a user name, well you found it

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
The new GM/International medium duty looks nice - just needs to get cheaper. 4x4 seems common, no idea on the reliability but engine access is probably better than a pickup. Nice ground clearance and maybe decent axles too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
GM's new styling can die in a fire. Really all truck styling after 2020 is terrible. It's like chev looked at the Jeep that had the Hershey Squirts Face and doubled downed on it. I am 6' tall and can't reach into the bed of the 1500. I can barely see over the dashboard despite my knees being planted into the bolster.

70 front, 110/130 rear like the 550. The 70 is nice. Some of their Dirtymax revisions have cooling system problems. I posted about it a looong time ago in the towing thread and have long since flushed the buffer.

CommieGIR posted:

Diesel Electric Hybrid Bronco, there's the rub

The rub is that stubby wheelbase and where to package the batteries. Buuuut. If I can get a PTO somewhere, it's possible.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 9, 2023

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

cursedshitbox posted:

However it's not a 1997 F250
What is special about a 97 F250? (besides the HDs keeping the old body style)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

joat mon posted:

What is special about a 97 F250? (besides the HDs keeping the old body style)

It's the last of the old body and got the most refinements.

When there's not truck and house and jeep and hobby projects stacking up that I don't want to do there's always cooking.

IOC was my secret santa this year and he delivered to me some oils from Queen Creek. I scratched together a focaccia.

More grilling.

Grilled cheese.

Leftovers in burritos.

The new solar controller is here.

Lubing the frontend that the dealer didn't lube.

Since donk is loving off to storage the F550 inherits its brand new motocrap batteries.

Speaking of. poo poo dick got a replacement disc and moves under its own power again.

The clutch fork doesn't fit through the bell like it should. I pulled it into position through the bell while the transmission is apart. This is why you always check fitment before bolting things together.

Of all the 4wd clutches I've had to do in the field, this one went really, really easy. It's ready to leave.

Three years and 20k-mi of full time has left the camper a little worn around the edges. Painting is a slow slog with the cold temperatures even in Yuma. The bulk pantry drawer bent its slide on one side. It drags and is annoying. Replacing the slide.

Pulled the tail lamps apart to clean the dust out.

While the side is apart for the electrical refit. The hatch on this side has been sticking for a while. The body is starting to sag a little.

Bottle jack and a jack stand to lift the body then wedge a small beam in place.

The controller mounted.

Pantry built back up.

Cabinet doors back on.

Some Genuwine ford parts arrive to add fogs.

Because it's not in the documentation anywhere. The fog light connector is right drat here.

Remove the plastic filler panels.

Insert harness.

And plug in the $30 ebay lights.

Inside. Pull the light sensor bung out.

Plug in the light sensor and snap it into the housing.

Do the same with the light switch.

The connectors are the same however there's more pins populated.

Code everything in FORScan and done. Added high beams + fogs.

Side note: I loathe blue clusters. Why ford why.

No more driving with one working light.

With the external array there's now 1700W of solar available.
A smaller 3D printer is purchased better suited to the cabinet's size.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel. It's probably a ford on a rollback.

Todo before rolling out in ~4 weeks:
Store the F350 somewhere
Build a cabinet for the printer
Convert starlink to POE
Upgrade the AP and add a switch
Attempt to unfuck the gen
Perform generator routine maintenance
Polish the filon
Polish the truck lights v2
Tint the truck windows

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Donk looks small now.

Edit: also:

cursedshitbox posted:

Bottle jack and a jack stand to lift the body then wedge a small beam in place.

Why have I never thought to do this?

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 9, 2023

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

cursedshitbox posted:

GM's new styling can die in a fire. Really all truck styling after 2020 is terrible. It's like chev looked at the Jeep that had the Hershey Squirts Face and doubled downed on it. I am 6' tall and can't reach into the bed of the 1500.
After years of struggling to reach into the bed of my 14 Silverado, I went to grab something out of my buddy's 08(ish) Colorado (which he also has dropped a couple of inches) and was instantly overcome with deep, seething jealousy. That thing is at like waist height.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
A local tyre place to me has a slammed Hilux as a delivery vehicle and it looks so much more practical.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
A repair on the camper without epoxy?

How tall are you now with the new ride?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Back in the day I had this dropped darkish seafoam green mighty max on chromed early pathfinder steelies.
carbed 4g, 5 speed, roll pans. It was a sweet little truck for daily truck things. Easy to jump into the bed, easy to haul cargo. Easy to park. Good fuel economy. No bullshit.

I also had a 3vz toyota one ton. Roomate did me a favor by wrecking it. Fucker got 8mpg and could barely do 70. But it too was really easy to do truck poo poo with.

The 2020 chev 1500 I rented to replace the 350's engine was entirely too big in every dimension for what it was. It had this cavern behind the seats but the seats wouldn't go all the way back into said cavern. Why are my knees in the dash in something this big? Why's the hood so high on a 1500. Getting the 350's 100lb copper radiator in and out of the bed without damaging it was a pain in the rear end because of how high the bed sides are.
At 50% payload its ride was overloaded feeling mushy butt at best. Actually blew out one of the rear shocks bottoming it out so hard on Denver roads.

SpeedFreek posted:

How tall are you now with the new ride?

11'5". It's lowered by 5-6" than it was on donk. It's nicer in some regard when I park somewhere that isn't flat. It does dwarf the hell out of the 350.
The proportions are a lot better now.

(2021, frame break #1)

350:
23' long, 8' wide, ~12' tall, 13,200lb

550:
25' long, 8.5' wide, 11.5' tall, 16,000lb.

*Whipcrack*

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
The old lulzbot took up most of this cabinet. This one is fully enclosed with 4 filament capability with nearly the same build volume and takes up a fraction of the space.
*plop*

Illuminated. magnetic build plate. carbon linear rails.

Donk now fixed, can gently caress off.

It made the 250mi trip to its new home without a issue. The transmission howls like a banshee over 2000rpm and under load.
The border patrol knuckle draggers for some reason thought I'd smuggle people in the poo poo tank. Stupid Fucks.

It was a 12 hour project. To which I get home and am greeted with terrible solar.

And the 6.7s first code.

The DEF tank sender is basically a glorified rv holding tank sender. There's four stainless probes. One of them has flakey wiring.
Basically the top most one reports full, but the 1/3, 2/3 sender is reporting empty sometime. Ford probably used CCA wire somewhere and its having a bad day in this poo poo environment.

Related to solar. The Gen doesn't wanna work. The plug I got lacks a resistor and it's wicked pissing off the magneto once it warms up. Ordered another...
The tune up kit from Cumapart is still ??? I got a valve cover gasket at least. The valves were fine.

70mph gusts killed the tent. Well. Sorta. Sewed it back together and its fine. The 550 is a much more stable platform in high winds. I didn't sleep great but I still got enough sleep.

The alloy bike rack has been sagging with my super heavy 20lb hard tail hanging off the back. Both bikes are contacting now and his Niner is hitting the ladder.
Cue a suitable replacement.

The rig I should have built.

Remember the jeep with its PO306? We're going group jeeping in a few days. New plugs, new #6 coil. Bonus rodents.

The 550 gets a dashcam similar to what the farm truck is using. Actually the newer version.
There's wiring chases mounted throughout the truck. Kinda nice. Especially since this one is a stripper there's a lot of extra capacity for shenanigans.

It does split screen too but that's pretty much useless to me.

The start to the new printer shelf.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Jeeping day

Nice XJ in front of us leading in.

The group of snowbirds. The black one on the far right is from berta'. LS 6L swap with a 6L80. Lots of horsepower. Smells like a stable since its catless. Two throttle pedals, two ecus. Farm-truck wiring. Its to reset the oil change light. Kind of weird but it's a jeep thing, I don't get it. It had the EGH engine that was blown up, he bought it and swapped it.

Small world, one of them is ex air force and was stationed at the Turkish base I was born at. In the same time frame.

It doesn't look steep. It is.

Having been almost a decade since a proper wheeling trip. I wasn't having fun here.

Pumpkin hill.... Geo tracker split its front pumpkin on this climb nailing the rock right at the top.

Ridge running. This is more fun.

This however, was more fun. Not sure what the malfunction was but she made a line error, and compounded it with the soft sand.

Guy fulltimes with the canyon. Diesel. Lockers front and rear, spool valve shocks. the works. To quote him. "This is what Jeeps wish they had". I agree.

Carpeted the shelf.

Then placed the printer then used the printer to print its hold downs.

Networking upgrade is now complete. Wifi 6 LR AP, Microtik router. Starlink moved to POE with a power switch.
There's an extra 5V brick stashed away for future upgrades.

More fkin headlight polishing. These housings are trashed. An entire sanding kit per headlamp this time.

I was planning to coat them but they're so hosed and it was just cold enough I couldn't.

Tinted the back windows.

There's too much wind to do the fronts. They're friggin big.

Cue 3 days polishing filon and getting the oil from the blown engine off of the camper. Yes, the engine that blew 2 years ago.

If you noticed a classA nearby, you're right. They're friends of "old Fred" an 86 year old from Tonopah. That's a dude with stories.

I didn't care for his friends. They left their thermostat on 70 with a auto start-stop generator that's directly facing us. Every TV is always on, including the outdoor ones, so its hard to hangout with them and understand what they're saying.

Campfires.

Sunsets.

Scottish Wine.

Feburary 2023. This is the last of the LTVA for the Fall 2022 season.

Last Eddie run here.

Cya next year Imperial Dam.

Last of the cooking projects.

And roll northward on 95.

Since there's a lot of changes to the coach from its original 2020 config.
The updated power systems:

The updated networking

The eventual lo-buck earthroamer on 42s

Kind of a spoiler since I built this some time after. Six weeks ago or so at the time of posting. Its the future web/app interface for all of the onboard systems.
I'm a huge nerd and I'm absolutely not sorry about it.

From here leaving the LTVA we are revisiting a lot of the original 2021 route. Winter is dragging on so the travel portion has been slow. I don't care to post about some(most) of the places we've visited before. It's a lot of effort to maintain this thread especially with 10mbit uploads. I do want to share some of the new things we've seen especially since the jeep makes it possible. We break a lot of poo poo and get to camp in some wild places just like 2021. But now sometimes in the middle of a snowstorm. Lots of rocks and mining to be seen.
The updates will be slower, and I will never run current posts from my current spot. Despite best intentions, goons are goons.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 15, 2023

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Love the interface, are the graphs functional yet or just RNGs?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have the data source for the PV/Inverter systems but not under one service. He and I are literally working on reorganizing all of that right now.
Some of that can't work yet because I literally haven't hoisted the solid-state-relays into the hvac system, but system power, weather, locale, graphing, logs, metrics, etc is most of the way there. We're tired of it all being in isolated silos so to speak.

The above needs its css/html/js/etc modified to do the front end stuff. I'm not super enthusiastic about this phase. I'll fix that once I have the live data source plugged into it. Think grafana/prometheus but with a shiny wrapper.
I built the assets in krita then used a website builder to kludge it all together as a series of pages. To prevent overinformation not all the above is visible outside of the "system overview" that we all know of from the MagTag. Which that just got a partial rewrite to encompass some of the above because I don't always have a lcd nearby.
he's rewriting the backend for the third time. The timing of the ext array mppt controller is slightly different and burgering its data.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
The blown as in blown truck engine? The hell did you store it at?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

UCS Hellmaker posted:

The blown as in blown truck engine? The hell did you store it at?

Oil from the blown engine. Sorry. It soaked *everything* including the roof apparently.
The dead 7.3 went back the day after I pulled it. I didn't want anything to do with a dead thousand pound lump of cast iron.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
This pic reminded me of this recent Everlanders video where it looks like he uses a few of the same power converters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAZGX379dmc

Obviously you are already familiar with this sort of stuff but figured a lot of people who follow this thread would find it interesting.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

Kind of a spoiler since I built this some time after. Six weeks ago or so at the time of posting. Its the future web/app interface for all of the onboard systems.
I'm a huge nerd and I'm absolutely not sorry about it.

:perfect:

cursedshitbox posted:

More fkin headlight polishing. These housings are trashed. An entire sanding kit per headlamp this time.

I was planning to coat them but they're so hosed and it was just cold enough I couldn't.

Polishing headlights is so good when it's good and so incredibly bad when it's bad. Those look quite good given where they started.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
In case you want a data point, we have hundreds of those converters in every 12, 24, and 48V flavor and they're great, interestingly better lifetimes than the "real" Tycon 24-24 converters standard in the DC side of networking. Interesting the Starlink uses a 4 pair passive PoE, which I recognize from the injector part number, we use those injectors for high current passive devices (licensed gear mostly) or needing to move 50W+ down 100m of ethernet cabling. They're solid as well. What's the Starlink voltage? 56V?

How do you like the 'Tik 5009? We just got some in the field and I haven't gotten to have a real look at them. I'd love to see how you're handling failover/balancing and PPPoE on the cell modem?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/UnseenOps/status/1658967280103878657

Next project?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Theres two default routes set up with different priorities. If the interface for starlink is up its default route overrides the LTE route. It's built into the Microtik.
If the Slink is on without an active connection it fuckywuckys, otherwise it's solid. The old system was a lot more complicated and kind of flaky. it would ping something out on the internet and switch accordingly.

It's all been solid since the build up. Haven't needed to gently caress with anything. the extended range AP helps with some projects.

Slink runs on 48V iirc and requires a crossover cable unless you're running this brick.
It's all on the 12V bus so if the inverter needs to be taken offline there's still internet.

Yes but I'd need help with parts. I can't get poo poo for a decade old truck half the time.
(the maz7310 and the hemtt are some of my favs)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

cursedshitbox posted:

Theres two default routes set up with different priorities. If the interface for starlink is up its default route overrides the LTE route. It's built into the Microtik.
If the Slink is on without an active connection it fuckywuckys, otherwise it's solid. The old system was a lot more complicated and kind of flaky. it would ping something out on the internet and switch accordingly.

It's all been solid since the build up. Haven't needed to gently caress with anything. the extended range AP helps with some projects.

Slink runs on 48V iirc and requires a crossover cable unless you're running this brick.
It's all on the 12V bus so if the inverter needs to be taken offline there's still internet.

Having not just a redundant but also fault tolerant setup is key with your sort of setup. Starlink is hard because they don't do non-NAT or even Option 82, but maybe someday we'll get a more enterprise solution when it stops being an Ikea design exercise.

I wish I had gotten into providing these solutions ahead of the work-from-boondock thing that seems so popular now, I have all of the right niche experience. Mikrotik is absolutely the best router to use for your application, if you needed real wild setup you could use a Netonix WS6-Mini as well, it that can do whatever power you want and does L2 switching, but they're thin on the ground really work best in a cost as no object design with the desire for half a dozen differently powered uplinks.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 20, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah without the provided-with lovely ap it gets in a mood every now and then requiring a couple power cycles before it decides to quit having personality quirks. Once or twice we've had to dig out the AP and plug it in.
Here's hoping a competitor comes along or they grow the gently caress up and divorce the manchild.
It works. It works pretty well. It's better than hughsnet. But I am Not Happy about who is involved.

The LTE side of things is bone reliable. Though now with Slink we end up out of LTE service pretty regularly. At the moment I'm at the fringes of a tower I can see about 5-7 miles away but posting over Slink.

You really should have cornered the market. IT really isn't really in my wheelhouse but holy boosted v8 are vanlyfers bad about this sorta thing. (electrical too but that's another topic)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Somewhere near The Mojave
A spot the jeep shall not pass.

But someone with some yuge tires made it.

Wasn't any of these rigs that's for certain.

Eastern side of Mojave national Preserve. There's an old fort located there. Fort Piute. It's an old mail route along the Mojave Road.

Easy to tell why this location was picked for the fort.

Printing upgrade parts off of the sun.

The 550 churning along well like any ford product would.
Barometric|MAP sensor correlation is flaking out. The barometric sensor is integral to the pcm. It gets altitude sickness.

It's complaining about boost pressure. Then dropping vane control leaving me with no boost. It's getting about 5mpg with a functional fuel range of 70mi radius from any fuel stop.

Random diggings. Near the tip of Death Valley NP.

At another fuel stop near Shoshone. Aging 950s still out there doing what 950s do; drink fuel.

Just 6.7 things. This fucker aggressively shits up its particulate filter.

Perched on Funeral Peak. 5400' ASL.

While waiting in line at Shoshone I grabbed some local things to eat.

IG worthy bullshit. Nevermind that I need to take the truck apart in a day with a pair of snowstorms right behind it. This will be our first. Wind gusts predicted up to 75mph.
Getting back here the anchors for the shoe rack pulled out of the wall finally. More things to fix later.

There's some random mining remains on the hills behind us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Today I learn that the new to me poo poo tractor was not baselined by ford like I had paid to do so.

In among the hose storage bay that is the 6.7 engine room there's a water to air intercooler. The pipe that goes from the charge air cooler to the intake is made of plastic. To service the engine this pipe has to come out. Reminder that the truck got new belts and such. yet somehow this was missed.

I pulled it suspecting a boost leak and reading elsewhere that these like to explode leaving trucks stranded.

Ayup that'd do it. Good thing there's a ford dealer about 4 hours away in Las Vegas. The same idiots I got the wrong coolant pump from 2 years ago. Online order is about $70 cheaper and I can just go pick it up.

I peer into the throttle actuator and find the intake is heavily laden with carbon build up.

That doesn't make sense. I paid to have this cleaned. Well whatever no ford dickhead is touching my poo poo again.

And if it swallows a valve because of it I'll be happy to fist someone with the remains of the loaded cylinder head.

Least the turbo is new. Hopefully it wasn't overworked by this stupid oversight.

Side note: the wider flatbed makes a great workbench. This was something I wanted to implement with the farm truck.

The new fantastic plastic part.

It was a day trip to drive from The top of Funeral Peak to Gaudin and back. Rushing the clock because there's snow coming and I don't want the truck offline during inclement weather means putting this in while it's cold, windy, and potentially wet.

The high winds are picking up a lot of dust too. In the heavy equipment days you'd spray the ground with water to keep the dust down near where the equipment dropped. No such luxury today other than work expediently.

That's entirely unusable.

One half-hour later it is ready to be snapped into place.

It goes together without fuss. It's probably one of the easier jobs in this cramped bay.

I pull the MAP sensor since the truck has been throwing Barometric sensor/Map sensor correlation faults.

Ayup more evidence it hasn't been properly decoked.

I broke the old hose down for the usable parts and disposed of the rest.

Snow begins to fall as I'm buttoning the rig up.

The next morning: