Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mordecai posted:

Surviving The Game as a Barbarian is a game isekai that looks promising. There are no stats or status screens, at least so far. Also the game is a masocore dark fantasy dungeon roguelike.

Lmao that ones loosely based off dungeon crawl stone soup.
I had to not snort when the it said there was barely any documentation on the game and he had to figure things out on his own, when this style of roguelike includes some of the most exhaustively documented games.

Theres been inuniverse details that explain why the game does things the way it does (like healing potions not being able to be used in battle because they hurt like hell to drink). But i assume the game mechanics bit is coming soon.

Theres an interesting bit where the otherworlds inhabitants know isekaiers exist and that they come into the world by possessing existing people.

E: As it stands its just crappier sword king

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

drilldo squirt posted:

Anyone reading anything new that's not literal trash?

You're in the wrong thread.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

drilldo squirt posted:

I’m still picking away at Ascendance of a Bookworm. I’m in the second volume of part two.

It’s interesting but you can really tell that it was initially written as web fiction. The story structure is based around chapters, not novels

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
These are the only ones I can really classify as "new" (that is, less than a year since translations started). Most of the stuff I read has been ongoing for a while now.

I've already mentioned this one before in either this thread or the other one. I've actually been reading the LN and its pretty great so far. Its something that would work in the other thread:
https://mangadex.org/title/5f64d517...-2-shuume-musou

This is another "strategy guide" style series. Isekai-adjacent I guess as there is no world transference or anything like that but it is full of RPG/isekai tropes. Seems pretty safe for now.
https://mangadex.org/title/98017a70-5580-40fb-9d69-69e377325484/kono-sekai-no-kouryakuhon-wo-hirotte-shimaimashita

Technically a year old, but I've never seen it mentioned. A bunch of people with bad skills find out their lovely skills synergize together really well. The translation is really slow.
https://mangadex.org/title/a9e23d07-b293-4530-b592-e97880c8101f/the-chronicles-of-the-misfit-quartet-and-their-unrivaled-synergy

---

Some others that rarely get mentioned that are fun. They've been going for a while now.

A different kind of fantasy story than you would usually see. Has a lot of "worlds / cultures collide" themes.
https://mangadex.org/title/178d3cd8-4624-4afc-81b0-b2f260a1b28b/hime-kishi-wa-barbaroi-no-yome

Its just a wholesome romance story about a hero and his dragon lady and all the weirdos surrounding them.
https://mangadex.org/title/8572da1b-3b5d-44aa-a40c-8a92b512c336/dungeon-no-osananajimi

---

If you want to take a risk, this just came out. There are no tags, no LN version, nothing to indicate how unwholesome it will be. It also sounds incredibly, incredibly stupid, in a really dumb way. I have absolutely no idea how this will turn out. I just thought the artwork was pretty good.
https://mangadex.org/title/d44a7093-826e-4d79-bf98-f71c852d788e/isekai-henshusha-manga-de-sekai-o-suku-koto-ni-narimashita

Nalin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 5, 2023

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I read Barbaroi but I kinda got sick of the barbarians being basically elves who are in tune with nature and are super powerful and also are friends with the spirits and etc etc etc.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

My library started stocking Kakuriyo Bed and Breakfast for Spirits and that should technically qualify as an isekai because the main character is whisked away to the spirit realm. Fairly standard 'human in world of monsters' romance.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

VictualSquid posted:

Newest thing I remember reading is: "I May Be a Guild Receptionist, but I’ll Solo Any Boss to Clock Out on Time" but looking it up, it is a year old. And not technically isekai.

Started this also.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Brought To You By posted:

My library started stocking Kakuriyo Bed and Breakfast for Spirits and that should technically qualify as an isekai because the main character is whisked away to the spirit realm. Fairly standard 'human in world of monsters' romance.

I'm gonna start this.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
still reading a bunch of isekai, but just not ones I find interesting enough to share

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

doomrider7 posted:

Yes...yes she does. I just love the reaction faces from the announcers and the crowd.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but the manga is running for the Kodansha Award for Best Shonen. Here's to hoping it wins.

SUNRAKU FTW!!!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/3b999f4a...i-wo-musou-suru

Might become trash, might not, still feeling this one out. Basic premise : MC gets isekai'ed into another world, defeats the demon lord. Then gets beheaded because everyone's afraid of how strong he is. Instead of a revenge fantasy though, he isekai's BACK to japan but 40 years after he left, into a new Japan that now has magic and monsters and stuff. Now he doesn't want to stand out because he learned that standing out means you frighten people into killing you so instead he tries to live a subdued life. But, because of magic and monsters he pretty much immediately starts standing out.

Nalin posted:

If you want to take a risk, this just came out. There are no tags, no LN version, nothing to indicate how unwholesome it will be. It also sounds incredibly, incredibly stupid, in a really dumb way. I have absolutely no idea how this will turn out. I just thought the artwork was pretty good.
https://mangadex.org/title/d44a7093-826e-4d79-bf98-f71c852d788e/isekai-henshusha-manga-de-sekai-o-suku-koto-ni-narimashita

I'm calling it now :

Everyone in the world including the demon lord becomes hooked on Manga and peace is brokered because if Humanity is killed then there will be no more releases

khy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 17, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
there's a similar one.
setting is a towers thing where people have to battle up the floors. With a regression setting.

So within the MC, is all the paths he took. Warrior/mage/alchemist ect. Along with the many path, even though its the same kind, they all have different ending personalities and experiences. And the MC can draw on experiences and skills from them (but he doesn't know it, they all reside in his head in a kind of roundtable format) and try to subconsciously guide him to build resonance with their path to lend their skills. Pretty sure all of them met a dead end, and this one is the current run.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dude better have a floating skull buddy and repeatedly say "updated my journal."

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1658926534059491328?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

…sure why not. At least it’s a different flavor of trash

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Seven Seas will just license anything won't they.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Kwyndig posted:

Seven Seas will just license anything won't they.

If they think they can make money yes. Yes they will.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New mob isekai

The best outcome possible. :allears:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Captain Invictus posted:

New mob isekai

The best outcome possible. :allears:

Having listened to a few more volumes of the novel on youtube, I don't think anything is really actually done with this, and the plot goes back to treating them as gals being pals, and kind of sidelines both of them once this volume ends.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

GateOfD posted:

there's a similar one.
setting is a towers thing where people have to battle up the floors. With a regression setting.

So within the MC, is all the paths he took. Warrior/mage/alchemist ect. Along with the many path, even though its the same kind, they all have different ending personalities and experiences. And the MC can draw on experiences and skills from them (but he doesn't know it, they all reside in his head in a kind of roundtable format) and try to subconsciously guide him to build resonance with their path to lend their skills. Pretty sure all of them met a dead end, and this one is the current run.

I swear I read this one at some point but I don't remember the name, I think he has like a magical brand on his hand that is what activates the spell to call on the previous incarnations, the only problem is that his is made of cancer causing materials or something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

maltesh posted:

Having listened to a few more volumes of the novel on youtube, I don't think anything is really actually done with this, and the plot goes back to treating them as gals being pals, and kind of sidelines both of them once this volume ends.
so the most interesting non-mc characters get shoved in a box after this arc ends? lol of course

well at least that moment was good

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
It's a comic where the world setting is women have all of the political and social power yet somehow still have no agency in the world at large. What were you really expecting?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh I'm not saying the series is GOOD, it's trashy entertainment with an incredibly unlikeable but amusing rear end in a top hat MC at best. just that those two have been main characters alongside him the entire series so far, and it's hilarious if the series actually confirms they are super into each other rather than just implying it and then immediately puts them on a bus.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the one rule of that story is that no one ever gets to have a fulfilling relationship. the isekai siblings are so unbelievably terrible that they ruin the love lives of everyone around them.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The junk collector posted:

It's a comic where the world setting is women have all of the political and social power yet somehow still have no agency in the world at large. What were you really expecting?

I'm not caught up with manga so I don't know if it's covered it yet but in the light novels you learn they don't actually have any power. The whole situation was set up by the royal family to weaken the nobility.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new cancer grandpa isekai

I really like their artstyle. it's clean, relatively simple, and detailed where it matters.

I wonder if they're about to recruit the elf into the group. also, I love the meatheadedness of the grandpa, insisting on throwing everyone to consider fights finished

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I like that his doodle for Sniper implies he wanted to try and charge down Simo Häyhä. I guess a magic archer elf is close enough.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Captain Invictus posted:

new cancer grandpa isekai

I really like their artstyle. it's clean, relatively simple, and detailed where it matters.

I wonder if they're about to recruit the elf into the group. also, I love the meatheadedness of the grandpa, insisting on throwing everyone to consider fights finished

This is so far very cute, meatheaded, and also wholesome so far.

arch-nemesis: SLIME

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Captain Invictus posted:

so the most interesting non-mc characters get shoved in a box after this arc ends? lol of course

well at least that moment was good

I am horrible and have read up to the latest on NovelUpdates. It is time-burning trash for me so I may screw stuff up. I will spoiler without spoiling too much regarding Ange and Livia.

They are not involved in the second game, which takes place in a completely different country. It is the republic in the study abroad program that flashed by recently. Leon ends up taking it to get the hell out of the country and make sure the second game ends properly without going to poo poo. I don't think it's a major spoiler to say that everything there also goes to poo poo. On the other hand, the republic isn't a misandrist hellscape, just a zaibatsu hellscape.

There is then a third game that takes place back in the kingdom that starts pre-hosed thanks to the butterfly effects of everything else that has happened so far domestically and abroad, including some other countries and not just Leon. Ange and Livia come back for this and remain, including participating in fighting.

There is a short story taking place after the conclusion of the overall main story where Leon's younger brother studies abroad to get over stuff only to find Leon teaching there to make sure a new game does not go to poo poo. Leon immediately spins him around and pushes him right into it.

Leon does not know about the sequels and finds out about them starting with Marie.

It is implied in other short stories that as much as Leon can't stop meddling, the default course with the game protagonists--or at least for Livia--is not good.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

That was the best ending to this encounter. "Welp, this youngin just extended their hand so might as well oblige them" is exactly what a combat grandpa would do.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
another chapter, and I can already see that given enough time, gramps is gonna 100% throw the moon somehow

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Onean posted:

If you like Alysara due to the dive into magic, you might also like A Budding Scientist in a Fantasy World. Alice gets pulled into another world and finds herself incredibly curious about the System and magic, and dives into trying to figure out the details of how it all works (when she's not having to spend her time not starving and/or freezing to death).

I looped back around to finally read this. The prose quality certainly leaves something to be desired. The author does an underwhelming job editing their work as they forget words in sentences or make repetitious ones. I do think they do a better job than the author of Alysara at making the magic system comprehensible as the latter has gotten so deep that I've lost track of the rules there.

Once I get fully caught up I might make a few suggestions to the author on some tools they could use to check their grammar for said missing words or so on.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Good comic got some new updates, it’s not Isekai but it’s power-fantasy protag in a fantasy world and stupid title so whatever. Also couldn’t find the generic fantasy manga thread on my phone where I’ve posted it before(if that still exists)

Is It Odd That I Became an Adventurer Even If I Graduated From the Witchcraft Institute?

https://mangadex.org/title/a220cb1c...craft-institute

Posting here because CW: a rape discussed (not depicted) early on IIRC. Other than that it’s pretty wholesome, looks like a harem party but goes out of its way to keep it platonic and introduces the lead’s romantic interest later which is fun when the other party members get nosey about the relationship. Good reaction faces also

E: reread the beginning and the cw content is very mild for the general level of this thread, but still wouldn’t call it wholesome. I did forget that it has some decent ruminations on what is considered evil or just. Like still a manga, but it’s not just shallow shounen and lets an early villian have some humanity and has characters reflecting on themselves afterwards.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 7, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

quote:

It was on our way back from the expedition to defeat the Demon Lord, which was a pastime for aristocratic sons.

“Hiira, I’m breaking off our engagement. Also, you’re no longer needed in the party, so leave.”

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Super strong tomboy childhood friend princess knight. I approve of this ship and so does the rest of the party.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that one is pretty funny and goofy, except when it comes to elves and orcs, where it gets considerably brutal and vicious. the main party of four(and the tomboy princess) are fantastic together, though.

also, new Faraway Paladin, and herein we get a title drop!

this series continues to be phenomenal. Valacirca is a perfect representation of an ancient dragon, one who plays with words to defeat his opponents, even before a single blow is struck. immense malevolence, playing upon the fear of his presence to persuade his potential assailants to let down their guard, before the fight has even begun. love it, I was afraid this character wouldn't live up to the buildup that the series has been amassing for many, many chapters, but this one chapter allayed those fears.

these two spreads are fantastic:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

When I was reading the light novel I don't remember thinking Valacirca as being beefy but it really fits with the series.

I think I've said it before but I really hope the author gets better so he can put out more books.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was just thinking about the 12 Kingdoms anime, which is technically an isekai and something anyone should watch who hasn't (and I imagine quite a few people probably haven't heard of it since its anime is pretty old now). One of my favorite shows of all time. It's so good.

It's very depressing to me that we'll probably never get any other Light Novels for it (it's based off of a LN series, and I don't think all the ones that exist were even translated, I think just the first four?). Probably one of my favorite fantasy settings, and one of the very few isekai stories that actually has an interesting and fleshed out "other world" that doesn't revolve around the Earth people.

IMO the anime's additions of Asano and Sugimoto (as characters who were also transported to the 12 Kingdoms) were actually one of the few examples of a good anime-only change. They're both used in ways that help reinforce the themes of the story. Sugimoto in particular is a good contrast to Youko.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Behind the battle of the Hero and the Demon King
https://mangadex.org/title/345d29ab-46ae-4c0b-93e8-d4b9984df628/maou-to-yuusha-no-tatakai-no-ura-de

I've been following this one and it is pretty good so far. It's really action packed and it feels like the MC has to work his rear end off just to survive. The main criticism about the novel on Novel Updates is that the author goes off on crazy world building tangents spending whole pages discussing flowers, so I'm going to guess that the manga ends up cutting away all that stuff and leaves all the fun battles and political things.

Can't be too sure though as only 6 chapters have been translated so far, but I think it is one to watch.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Nalin posted:

Behind the battle of the Hero and the Demon King
https://mangadex.org/title/345d29ab-46ae-4c0b-93e8-d4b9984df628/maou-to-yuusha-no-tatakai-no-ura-de

I've been following this one and it is pretty good so far. It's really action packed and it feels like the MC has to work his rear end off just to survive. The main criticism about the novel on Novel Updates is that the author goes off on crazy world building tangents spending whole pages discussing flowers, so I'm going to guess that the manga ends up cutting away all that stuff and leaves all the fun battles and political things.

Can't be too sure though as only 6 chapters have been translated so far, but I think it is one to watch.

oh man that's cool. I love those kind of military battle mangas (or manhwas) that aren't just the protagonist wrecking through everything because they're level 100 or whatever.

guess I sort of just want more Kingdom and this is in a way more Kingdom.

if there's other isekai a bit like that, I would love some recommendations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's not an isekai but Hawkwood does larger battles. Hasn't been updated in like two years through.