Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

bootlickers gonna lick boot and probably stab you in the back. they see only their self interest and a rising tide is anathema to them because people other than them also benefit from it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The general procedure that I've heard about from mcalevey and the like is to begin with issue identification. This means talking to the worker, as a peer or fellow worker, and figuring out something they want to be improved in their workplace. It doesn't have to be something obvious like pay, it could be something like there's an rear end in a top hat supervisor hitting on employees, or the boss keeps changing the schedule at the last minute every week. bringing people on board with signing a letter about that is a first step to bringing someone reluctant on board

if someone just wants to be a randian ubermensch libertarian and thinks your job is to sit there and be his punching bag while he owns you with FACTS and LOGIC then you should just move on, they're not worth you wasting time you can use doing real organizing work. this is known as the "delete twitter" theory of organizing

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
At my old job, there were a raft of immediate issues and I kept running into a few problems. Either people were actively hostile to working together because they saw career advancement opportunities, people were too afraid to ever address that the bad bosses were the root of the vague discontentment they were willing to share openly, or if I could get people around to saying it was the bad bosses, I couldn't generate any support to do anything other than go through ~*proper channels*~. The idea of putting demands on bosses was right out.

Things now aren't as obviously broken (on the relative scale of capitalist working environment being inherently exploitative) and I'm just trying to feel people out before the crises start up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

before our eventually successful union campaign, people did try going through the Official channels and seeing how clearly those just don't work at all to address the actual concerns of the employees helped open people's ears to alternative strategies. fwiw. Your ideas and theories will be correct, but for a lot of people they need the experience of that failure to kind of, prove it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, basically nobody in an unorganized shop will be willing to strike (basically by definition), and what building up to a strike entails is getting worker buyin by exhausting every other option. go through the proper channels, get ignored. Go through the proper channels with an email with a few dozen signatures, get a dismissive email from HR saying to please refer to the employee handbook. Do another petition with a request for a meeting to discuss the issue and stick it on the boss's office door martin luther style, get ignored again. hold a public workers meeting/rally at lunch, get the boss to drop the friendly facade and send an angry email telling everyone to stop talking to the outside agitators stirring up trouble by putting these foolish ideas about wanting consistent hours into his employees' heads, at this company we're like a family, do you want an outside group like a union to come between you and your family?, if anyone ever has any problems with anything his door is always open

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

This sounds like politics.

.....wait.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yup. The owner sending the angry email turned a tentative effort into a totally unified front it's awesome. Let your boss prove unequivocally what the power relation is.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

that was essentially the path taken at my workplace.

try to talk to management individually. try it as a group. compare responses (all promising changes that never come). realize we’ve all done this at multiple workplaces. need a new solution. unionize.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lmao it hit me just now that the hollywood strike started on international workers day

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I thought it started at 00:00 on May 2nd. I mean I guess it was May 1st somewhere for a couple of hours

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

organize your workplace: it's always May 1st somewhere!

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost
Our union leadership had a meeting with ELT on Wednesday, we got the email update last night; should I as an individual member be concerned about what seems to be a lack of anything resembling a timeline besides "in a timely manner" given that our CBA is already littered with the phrase "in a timely manner" on any of these items?

quote:

The company acknowledged the validity of our concerns, took ownership of the issues, and made several commitments in order to resolve them, including but not limited to:

● A comprehensive payroll audit (including checking for proper pay rate, tax withholding, dues withholding, and 401k contributions for each employee.) and a commitment to address and rectify any payroll issues in a timely manner.

● In accordance with Article 11 of our CBA: Regular reviews of all contract workers and the duration of their employment by the company, as well as regular notifications to our local Unions about contractors employed by the company.

● In accordance with Article 8 of our CBA: We learned that ALL managers of union employees have now received personal training on the CBA and their Union obligations from the company’s attorney. The company informed us that they will take any violations of our grievance process seriously.

● In accordance with Article 16 of our CBA: The company has committed to an improved internal process for the establishment and Union negotiation of new job titles.

● Acknowledged the need for greater transparency around how sales quotas are calculated in order to help members understand if they’re realistic/achievable.

● In accordance with Article 32 of our CBA: The company voiced a desire to communicate more clearly in the future about the differences between our 3% Union raises and performance-based merit increases.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I think that's a good reaction to have. No concrete deadlines means they can just kick the can down the road or drag things out as long as possible.

I mean, it sounds like leadership already loves to use this language by peppering the CBA with it. Do ya'll have any previous examples of those "in a timely manners" not really being timely? That could be a great story to use for organizing/agitation.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Greatbacon posted:

I think that's a good reaction to have. No concrete deadlines means they can just kick the can down the road or drag things out as long as possible.

I mean, it sounds like leadership already loves to use this language by peppering the CBA with it. Do ya'll have any previous examples of those "in a timely manners" not really being timely? That could be a great story to use for organizing/agitation.

The meeting was in response to a letter, that was the response of an organizing campaign in response to various members' grievances going unresolved, or taking months to resolve, lack of communication on issues that affected the whole of union membership, etc. The issues raised in the letter were:

quote:

Our CBA mandated annual raises for all covered employees, yet several employees were left waiting for months for their raises with no explanation.

Our CBA has a grievance process with mandatory timelines that your People Team has steadfastly refused to follow.

We have submitted Requests for Information that have been ignored for weeks or months.

Simple information like lists of union members and lists of contractors, which you are obligated to provide per our CBA, have been provided only partially.

The CBA requires [The Company] to notify the Union of new job titles, and to bargain with us over the wage floors for those titles. Time and again, [The Company] has created job titles and misclassified them as non-union positions, or created the titles and moved people into them without discussing the positions and salaries with the Union as required.

Several times, when employees have repeatedly inquired about the status of ongoing issues with their pay or classification, your managers have falsely blamed the Union for delays - despite the delays being caused by [The Company] management.

Based on conversations with managers and senior leaders, many seem completely unaware of the rules of the CBA which they are bound to follow, or uninterested in complying.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
started a new job last month and i'm already ready to unionize the drat thing, yeesh

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Replace timely manner with a specific number of days. Also be prepared to have management suggest the most ridiculous number of days depending on the situation

Timeline to grieve? Very short.

Timeline to be able to discipline? Very long.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tom Smykowski posted:

Replace timely manner with a specific number of days. Also be prepared to have management suggest the most ridiculous number of days depending on the situation

Timeline to grieve? Very short.

Timeline to be able to discipline? Very long.

I asked from the folks that were in the meeting/put together the notes what objective metrics we had for determining a timely manner, or if a specific date, even a general # weeks/months time frame for the pay audit were given but so far haven't gotten an answer. It sucks, I really feel like a lot of this is just basic questions that should have been asked but since it was a closed door meeting I don't even know if it was something that was asked and then just not communicated well (at all?) in the meeting notes, or if our people were just so wholly unprepared that they didn't go in ready to try and pin the company down on specific timelines.

It's...disappointing, and I'm afraid my constant pushes for these kinds of specifics are making me out to be a bit of a squeaky wheel.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Being the squeaky wheel is the only way poo poo gets done in those situations

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

...okay

https://twitter.com/UnionElections/status/1655934656855019520?s=20

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
[dead prez voice] hell yeah

https://twitter.com/cirseiu/status/1655658418546286594

(medical residents and staff)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I need to read more Saunders again

https://twitter.com/adamconover/status/1655655082665598976?s=20

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

people should stop by a picket line if they're near one, it's a good experience and they're always grateful to see solidarity from more people: https://www.wgacontract2023.org/strike/picket-schedules-and-locations

I live in NYC and they also have an emergency outreach option to call as many people as possible to help them w/ a mobile picket line that targets shoots, theyve stopped filming at a few locations now and it kicks rear end. I assume they have similar operations in other active metro areas w/ a film industry

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7231253213528263978

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Topeka, KS is about to have one less WAL-MART

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dancers at LA’s Star Garden Topless Dive Bar Become the Nation’s Only Unionized Strippers

quote:

Los Angeles – The 15-month effort by dancers employed at the Star Garden Topless Dive Bar in North Hollywood, Calif. to gain union recognition and become the nation’s only unionized strippers ended today in complete victory.

"If you have been following our journey, then you know this has been a long, exhausting fight, which is why this victory is so sweet,” said Reagan, one of the Star Garden dancers. “We put everything we have into this campaign, and we were fortunate to have the support and solidarity from the club’s patrons, our allies and friends, the labor movement and our union, Actors’ Equity Association.”

Lawyers representing the owners of the Star Garden Topless Dive Bar in a settlement hearing with union attorneys withdrew all election challenges, agreed to recognize the union and will meet with Actors’ Equity Association across the bargaining table within 30 days to negotiate a first contract. The club also will reopen for business and bring back dancers who were dismissed last year.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
gently caress YEAH

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

gently caress YEAH

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

my pal was fired after trying to unionize strippers in Portland years back so this is pretty freaking sweet news. i still feel lovely about how the lusty lady went down in SF.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Because the deck is so heavily stacked against the worker I know it takes a long time for the material benefits of organizing and unionization to roll in, but I've been helping other cafes organize and hearing one of em is ready to file soon is just a fantastic feeling. I know it's just vibes, but at least it's good vibes. :unsmith:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Geight posted:

Because the deck is so heavily stacked against the worker I know it takes a long time for the material benefits of organizing and unionization to roll in, but I've been helping other cafes organize and hearing one of em is ready to file soon is just a fantastic feeling. I know it's just vibes, but at least it's good vibes. :unsmith:

That's fantastic, good for you for putting in that work. It is always a long, hard struggle but seeing it pay off at the end is so worth it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Geight posted:

hell yeah motherfucker

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

Geight posted:

:letsgo:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Geight posted:

…I've been helping other cafes organize and hearing one of em is ready to file soon is just a fantastic feeling. I know it's just vibes, but at least it's good vibes. :unsmith:

Truly the most blessed post.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

feel like the company is taking extra lovely steps to create disunity in the union.

after laying people off back in january they've stepped up our workload with new projects, revised timelines for preexisting efforts, and adding presale scoping and quoting (since our team's coordinator was one of the layoffs) to our workloads.

the existing effort to get all of our clients off of the previous release of our platform is now down to "every migration needs to be complete by EOY this year" from the previous push to have all customers off the legacy platform in 2 years.

the hosed up part is that it's no longer a manager assigning out the platform migrations - they passed that duty on down to a business unit member and because of the push from ELT more and more of us are finding ourselves double and even triple-booked on projects on some days.

i can't help but think they're setting the dude who's scheduling them now up to be the target of animosity for the rest of the team and while it's a fairly obvious play to me, I'm not sure the rest of our team is picking up on it.

i loving hate it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lazy_Liberal posted:

my pal was fired after trying to unionize strippers in Portland years back so this is pretty freaking sweet news. i still feel lovely about how the lusty lady went down in SF.

What happened there? I saw the documentary about it back in the day but it seems like more stuff went down since

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What happened there? I saw the documentary about it back in the day but it seems like more stuff went down since

with lusty lady, i think it just became an issue with the building owner and rent prices blah blah blah.

in portland news, we continue to unionize nonprofit behavioral health agencies. got another major organization last week 👏

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/InsideTheMagic/status/1661153956234514435

Disney Evacuated, Cast Member Revolt Traps Main Street

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 01:49 on May 25, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

:guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That reminds me of the 1941 Disney animators' strike, where they lynched and guillotined an effigy of Walt Disney