Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jel Shaker posted:

yeah they paid for 60ft

It's cold out ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

25 year fixed rate mortgages aren't really a thing in the UK, so maybe this was written by an American? Also most first time buyers are going for 30 or 35 years now, so Deano is being rather prudent here.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Sounds a bit like Bob Mortimer's Barry Homeowner character ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-eWYoegOOc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

25 year fixed rate mortgages aren't really a thing in the UK, so maybe this was written by an American? Also most first time buyers are going for 30 or 35 years now, so Deano is being rather prudent here.
My guess is that it was written by someone without any hope of getting on the housing ladder in a comical style about the last lot who could.

Deano got on before that was a problem, and doesn't see why anything would be different now. He got a 25 year mortgage back then, and got it fixed rate to start with, so that's what he calls it.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

escapegoat posted:

Deano is just a basic bro you're meant to feel superior to for not being so painfully mainstream. And while he may have nice things like his own house he got it by taking on tons of debt 'cos that's just what you do and also it looks like this:

This just always makes me a little sad. If they all agreed to just share the garden space they would have a massive green space to play football, sunbathe, plant, barbeque etc. In many ways it sums up neoliberalism - rather than sharing 2000 square feet, everyone gets 200 square feet to themselves instead. Also there's a load of inefficiency and some of you get awful plots of impractical land.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A personal outdoor space is nice but at that point yeah I feel like the privacy fences are just making it feel like a prison.

Would probably go with a lower fence at least so you can see more than ten feet in front of your nose.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

winegums posted:

If they all agreed to just share the garden space

what and let Carol's dog piss all over my daffodils? you're having a laugh mate

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

During lockdown my neighbours down the road took out the fence panels between their gardens so they could have a socially distanced drink every night. Certainly helped with one of them as she was a nurse on the covid ward (all floors). Now I think about it I wonder if she was working the ward when Sir Captain Tom croaked.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I've lived in places with shared gardens before. Everyone argued over who was paying to maintain it and nobody ever went in it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have a friend who lives in an old victorian terrace with the wall at the back and the alley. I quite like the layout honestly, you have a decent back wall to put climbers up and everyone just has a fairly low fence between the houses. Lets people have plenty of privacy while not feeling quite so dire.

Kitchen protrudes into the yard too so it has a nice view of the flowerbeds, although shite for insulation.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

OwlFancier posted:

A personal outdoor space is nice but at that point yeah I feel like the privacy fences are just making it feel like a prison.

Would probably go with a lower fence at least so you can see more than ten feet in front of your nose.

I really wish communal green spaces were more common. My house shares a communal courtyard and green space with my neighbours out front and it definitely means we see each other more.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would probably say cut the front garden down a lot and make the back gardens bigger and yeah maybe have a communal bit in the middle.

I don't get why front gardens exist tbh, I don't know anyone who uses them, they just maintain them, it seems to be just for showing off, the back garden is where people actually spend their time if they have them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The front garden is where you either make an absolutely beautiful flower show like a family friend does or deliberately plant it with prickly terror bushes like a colleague of mine did after his attempts at the beautiful flower garden kept being lost to people walking across his front garden as a short cut and trampling the flowers to death.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

that's the length of the repayment, which is typically how theyre sold in the uk

you would take a 25year mortgage and then fix it for a set period ie 5 years

25years is fairly modest these days i've seen banks pushing 35 and even 40year products to maintain affordability

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Before I was born my da took the plain lawn front garden and dug a circle in the middle where he planted an apple tree surrounded by a circle of flowers

sadly it was a crab apple tree so I couldn't eat the fuckers

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rustybear posted:

i've banks pushing 35 and even 40year products to maintain affordability

well it's not bloody working I'll tell you that for nothing

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I would probably say cut the front garden down a lot and make the back gardens bigger and yeah maybe have a communal bit in the middle.

I don't get why front gardens exist tbh, I don't know anyone who uses them, they just maintain them, it seems to be just for showing off, the back garden is where people actually spend their time if they have them.

My house doesn't have a front garden and I mostly agree apart from I need some roofing done and it's a ballache because there is no space at the front for them to put up scaffolding .

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

My house doesn't have a front garden and I mostly agree apart from I need some roofing done and it's a ballache because there is no space at the front for them to put up scaffolding .

Like a small offset from the road makes sense yeah, maybe room for something to give you a bit of front window privacy, but a lot of houses seem to have massive front gardens that I've never seen people do anything in other than maintaining them.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

The front garden is where you either make an absolutely beautiful flower show like a family friend does or deliberately plant it with prickly terror bushes like a colleague of mine did after his attempts at the beautiful flower garden kept being lost to people walking across his front garden as a short cut and trampling the flowers to death.

Or fill with umpteen broken down cars & car parts because the missus won't let you keep the old carburettors in the bedroom dripping motor oil all over the duvet covers & carpets.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
My parents house has a garden backing onto a school field, seperated by a relatively thick wall of trees owned by the council. You can't really access the tree bit from the road and nobody ever goes along there, so my dad chopped a bunch of them down, built a new fence further in, and pulled down the old one. It's pretty cool because they now have a much bigger garden and there's still plenty of trees seperating it from the field, but I am dreading having to sell the house when they die. Kind of hoping no one pays attention to the fact that the paperwork lists a significantly smaller square footage than there now is, but I'm anticipating it's going to be a nightmare.

Guavanaut posted:

That's always been the face of English fascism. I guess the Italian technofuturist fascism of strength, speed, engines, science (real and nonsense like 'race science'), cleanliness by action, and rejection of the weak victim cult of Judaeo-Christianity for the martial strength of Ancient Rome all seemed a bit gauche for English fascists, who preferred a fascism of quiet countrysides, cottages, skepticism of science, cleanliness by nature, and obedience to faith and family.

I always found the link between British fascism and the environmental movement really interesting - the soil association etc being originally founded by people with some very suspect opinions about literally everything else. Kind of disconcerting to think that actual Britfash types probably would do a much better job of looking after the natural environment, ensuring decent food standards and sustainability etc than the more Thatcherite tories (and maybe even a lot of 'left wing' parties, certainly Labour!). Just don't be brown, or gay, or whatever else they've decided is the enemy of the moment!

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 5, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Front gardens exist to stop dogs and toddlers from running out into traffic, and also as somewhere to store the bins.

There's one round the corner from me with a model trainset in.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

winegums posted:

This just always makes me a little sad. If they all agreed to just share the garden space they would have a massive green space to play football, sunbathe, plant, barbeque etc. In many ways it sums up neoliberalism - rather than sharing 2000 square feet, everyone gets 200 square feet to themselves instead. Also there's a load of inefficiency and some of you get awful plots of impractical land.

disagree, we've just overhauled our '200 sqft to ourselves*' into a veg planters etc which wouldn't be possible in communal area + i can leave my children/dog to enjoy the garden in peace which i wouldnt be able to do with other people's pets/kids loose

we were part of communal garden for a while but dealing with the politics just became too much of a ballache; private gardens are popular for a reason

to be frank nobody in here would dare post a pic sneering at a row of terrace gardens but new builds are ok because it's coded as petit-boug, and wrongly so given it's all debt-financed

*not a new build if that matters

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 5, 2023

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The front garden is where you put the hanging basket that you are definitely going to look after and then you miss one day of watering it (usually after 3 days) and it's dead

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Cringeworthy dogshit lickspittle stuff from Lammy here as he tugs his forelock for a US audience

https://twitter.com/davidlammy/status/1654400464903892995?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

My parents house has a garden backing onto a school field, seperated by a relatively thick wall of trees owned by the council. You can't really access the tree bit from the road and nobody ever goes along there, so my dad chopped a bunch of them down, built a new fence further in, and pulled down the old one. It's pretty cool because they now have a much bigger garden and there's still plenty of trees seperating it from the field, but I am dreading having to sell the house when they die. Kind of hoping no one pays attention to the fact that the paperwork lists a significantly smaller square footage than there now is, but I'm anticipating it's going to be a nightmare.

Just put up a chicken wire fence at the right square footage and vigorously play dumb if questions are asked, bing bong simple.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Our front garden is just dandelions and broken slabs, the neighbours probably loving hate us.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Like a small offset from the road makes sense yeah, maybe room for something to give you a bit of front window privacy, but a lot of houses seem to have massive front gardens that I've never seen people do anything in other than maintaining them.
My front door opens directly onto the pavement, and it's mostly annoying that I can't have a porch or outward opening storm door or anything to stop the entire front room losing its heat within 5 seconds in winter.

An offset would be enough for that. Or exclusively using the kitchen door and jitty like my nan's generation did. But that's annoying enough that we always revert to just trying to Eugene Victor Tooms ourselves through the front door during winter.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

IIRC (been out of this line of work for over 25 years now) if your folks treat that piece of land as theirs and the council doesn't do anything to indicate ownership (such as trimming the trees, clearing undergrowth, putting up signs etc) and keep it going for 12 years, then it can become theirs by 'adverse possession'. Might be worth looking in to (once 12 years are up!) But be careful in case there is something under the land that isn't visible that could be a problem in future eg a covered culvert of some sort that could collapse & cause flooding or some such.

We had a case when I worked in the NHS, a sliver of land across the road from the main site, literally about 5 sq.m., it went back & forth for ages - noone would do anything & then every few years someone would think about it. The private house adjoining it had been treating it as theirs for many years. In the end I sold it to them for £1, the amount of effort, energy, legal fees etc going into it far outweighed the value, we were selling the main vacated hospital site and there was a road owned by the council between the site & the sliver so would have been a pain in the butt for anyone buying the site.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

When did he do it? If it was long enough ago you might still be able to claim adverse possession

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Christ

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

When did he do it? If it was long enough ago you might still be able to claim adverse possession

Oh yeah, I didn't realise this was a thing. They've been in the house probably nearly 40 years at this point and no one has ever noticed (or at least said anything) so it's definitely worth thinking about.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lol @ homesteading the council

they should make private rentals work like that.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't realise this was a thing. They've been in the house probably nearly 40 years at this point and no one has ever noticed (or at least said anything) so it's definitely worth thinking about.

Before 2002 you automatically gained adverse possession after 12 years of factual occupation. After 2002 you have to apply with the land registry after 10 years and the registered proprietor gets two years to oppose. I guess your only wrinkle would be proving how long you'd occupied it, but how it works in practice is outside my bailiwick.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
5% lower than 2017...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was going to suggest moving the palisade of your bailiwick to encompass it and pretending like it's just the way it's always been but apparently the word doesn't mean that kind of bailey.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

peanut- posted:

5% lower than 2017...

this is why there’s always the inevitable amusement of the lib dems predicting 100+ seats this year for real guys

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Latest local election results show Greens + Lib Dems together have gained more seats than Labour lol.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Nettle Soup posted:

Front gardens exist to stop dogs and toddlers from running out into traffic, and also as somewhere to store the bins.

There's one round the corner from me with a model trainset in.

Our front garden has a strip of forest left in it and usually we can pick a small bucket of bilberries there every year. Enough for a pie.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Pistol_Pete posted:

Latest local election results show Greens + Lib Dems together have gained more seats than Labour lol.

I do worry that people have forgotten that the moment the Lib Dems get a sniff of power they jump into bed with the tories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

I always found the link between British fascism and the environmental movement really interesting - the soil association etc being originally founded by people with some very suspect opinions about literally everything else. Kind of disconcerting to think that actual Britfash types probably would do a much better job of looking after the natural environment, ensuring decent food standards and sustainability etc than the more Thatcherite tories (and maybe even a lot of 'left wing' parties, certainly Labour!). Just don't be brown, or gay, or whatever else they've decided is the enemy of the moment!
That and their reflexive opposition to science in general means that whatever they did probably wouldn't actually work.

You can see some traces of this in parts of the modern green movement where any incremental improvement gets rubbished, like "fields full of solar panels when we could be growing crops, plus you know they produce terrible waste making them", but no positive alternative is proposed.

The actual Britfash took that as far as fetishizing the Corn Laws era of food autarky as some kind of golden age of independent sustainability, whereas the people of Merthyr Tydfil and the Scottish Highlands and most of Ireland have very different views about the sustainability of food and where it was going during that period of time.

I'd be interested in the abstract sense of how Jenks style autarky would work without colonies where they can pretend to be self sufficient while exporting famines, but it's not something I'd want to experience in reality. I'd probably get to find out how Bob Moran squares 'shrinking population' and 'lots of children' six feet beneath his picnic blanket.