Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Enjoy posted:

because russia is engaging in a war of aggression

The War of Eastern Aggression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol you think Ukraine shot s300s into Poland killing a bunch of people?! don't be absurd, why would Ukraine attack an ally, it was obviously deliberate Russian attacks

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Remember the Japanese lost 43 planes, so everything else landed in Oahu

I would like to think those depth charges were USS Ward sinking the Japanese midget submarine and not some sailors trying to fire K guns at torpedo bombers. Curious about all of the .45 ammo though, that definitely landed within the naval base.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:01 on May 5, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

crepeface posted:

lol you think Ukraine shot s300s into Poland killing a bunch of people?! don't be absurd, why would Ukraine attack an ally, it was obviously deliberate Russian attacks

drat, someone outside this thread just got roasted. Probably more efficient if you reply to them directly rather than rehearsing your posts ITT.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
what

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

BORING!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
nm, just stfu dipshit

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Remember the Japanese lost 43 planes, so everything else landed in Oahu

maybe they just filled those 43 planes with a LOT of lead ??

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1654481261904134145?s=20

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

РБК posted:

❗The Ministry of Defence has ordered Colonel-General Kuzmenkov, who is responsible for the logistics of the Armed Forces, to "keep under special control the continuous and rhythmic supply of all necessary weapons and military equipment to the groupings of troops in the areas of the special military operation", Sergei Shoigu has said.
(from t.me/rbc_news/73506, via tgsa)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

OctaMurk posted:

if we banned people for making claims without evidence we'd be outta people in this thread, or at least really low

if you clear a lane as a hardcore pedant it should be required. if you don’t you can say what you want

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Brie's right

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1654206810897670145

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Zelenskyy will get his planes.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

she’s wrong because she has to put that first line there because she’s too afraid to lose her liberal listeners - she just wants to “challenge” them

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, GPS jamming was mentioned early during the war, I wonder what it’s effect on JDAMs.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"All types had some ready ammunition at the guns, in accordance with their type directives. Battleships and Cruisers, 15 rounds per gun for two guns for the 5-inch anti-aircraft battery and 300 rounds per gun for half of the .50 caliber battery. The Destroyers present all had .50 caliber ammunition available and some 5-inch ammunition, depending on tests that were underway at the moment. Although a battery condition of readiness for ships had not been designated from the Naval Base Defense Plan, the first batteries opened fire less than two minutes after the attack was initiated. All batteries, except those on ships undergoing overhaul, had taken up the fire within approximately seven minutes after the attack was initiated."

"Although the Japanese launched their initial attack as a surprise, battleship ready machine guns opened fire at once and were progressively augmented by the remaining antiaircraft battery as all hands were promptly called to general quarters. That all ships present opened fire with commendable promptness is attested by the record. Actually, as stated above, ships opened fire immediately with machine guns, bringing down two, and damaging others, of the first wave of attacking torpedo planes. Within an estimated average time of under five minutes, practically all battleship antiaircraft batteries were firing; cruisers were firing all antiaircraft batteries within an average time of about 4 minutes; and destroyers, though opening up with machine guns almost immediately, averaged seven minutes in bringing all antiaircraft guns into action."

"On the occasion of the treacherous surprise attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, battleship ready guns opened fire at once. They were progressively augmented as the rest of the antiaircraft battery was manned as all battleships went to General Quarters with commendable promptness. This resulted in an early and great volume of antiaircraft fire. Considering all the circumstances, including the necessity for local control in the early stages of the attack, the control of fire was gratifyingly good as attested by the fifteen to seventeen enemy planes which were brought down. That such an antiaircraft fire could be inaugurated and sustained in spite of the difficulties resulting from early damage by torpedoes and bombs and great and menacing oil fires is a tribute to the courage, constancy, efficiency and resourcefulness of the officers and men. Not only were they maintaining a sustained and aggressive fire whenever the enemy threatened, but they were engaged in valiant efforts to save the ships, prevent their capsizing and fighting large and menacing oil fires, enveloped in dense clouds of smoke. Severe structural damage and flooded magazines made replenishment of ammunition a serious problem, in overcoming which great courage and ingenuity was exhibited."

"The need for adequate splinter protection for topside personnel was vividly demonstrated. For example, the protection afforded by the King Board bulkheads provided considerable protection so far as it went. These bulkheads were pitted by many .50 caliber bullets and fragments. In no case were the bulkheads which were inspected holed. However, the protection afforded was inadequate. There should be gun shields, or better still, gun turrets. In the case of the Nevada, a bomb hit the boat deck and wiped out most of the personnel because no protection was afforded from inboard."

I think the official report lowballed just how much ammunition was fired, because the report from the USS Sacramento alone says:

US Navy Report of Japanese Raid on Pearl Harbor, Enclosure E, USS Sacramento posted:

At 0757 sounded general quarters. 0800 all stations manned and ready. 0802 Commenced anti-aircraft machine gun (.50 caliber) fire.

The 4 inch battery was not used as sufficient elevation was not obtainable. The personnel from this battery was supplied with rifles, Browning automatic rifles, and Thompson submachine guns and stationed on the dock alongside the ship.

( Parenthetical, but ouch! )
Personnel Injuries: To obtain the magazine keys without delay, Lieutenant H.P. Michiels, USNR sustained lacerations to his right hand in smashing class cover. As a member of forward ammunition handling party, WARRENBURG, J.P. F1c., USNR, sustained crushed hand when he caught a full case of small arms ammunition which had slipped from slings and was falling back to the magazine. Being on berth deck, WARRENBURG's hand was caught between case and hatch coming in catching it.

Material casualties; Jams in both .50 caliber machine guns cleared by gunner's mates.

Ammunition expended:
1950 rounds .50 cal. tracer
4000 rounds .50 cal. armor piercing.
2000 rounds .45 cal. Thompson sub-machine guns.
5473 rounds .30 cal. armor piercing.
2887 rounds .30 cal. tracer.
3000 rounds .30 cal. ball.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Vomik posted:

she’s wrong because she has to put that first line there because she’s too afraid to lose her liberal listeners - she just wants to “challenge” them

that quote isn't even from her, it's from Ben Norton. That said she's been saying this stuff and hosting people willing to say it for awhile now and is subject to a lot of insanely misogynist and racist abuse from nafos because of it, and has pissed off any liberal listeners long since. so I don't buy that

the only thing she's afraid of are any questions about Virgil

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

hold me, Kremlinbros
https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1654485359835721731?s=20

The way that Russian warheads are reacting on social media leads me to believe Prigozhin hosed this one up hard.

I mean get good and stop being idiots is all I can really say to them.

I have never heard of an army empty so many clips (magazines) into their feet as the russians have, just tremendous.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 16:18 on May 5, 2023

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

speng31b posted:

Brie's right

this is quoting Ben Norton

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I loving said this at the height of the wonder weapon thing. Excalibur fails a quarter to half the time in peacetime training, what did anyone think would happen?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Though on the subject of wonder weapons, the Weapon of the Future being used for target practice in the 1930's is kind of funny.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

I mean get good and stop being idiots is all I can really say to them.

Its social media

Assume everything is disinformation or another kind of theatre

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

speng31b posted:

that quote isn't even from her, it's from Ben Norton. That said she's been saying this stuff and hosting people willing to say it for awhile now and is subject to a lot of insanely misogynist and racist abuse from nafos because of it, and has pissed off any liberal listeners long since. so I don't buy that

the only thing she's afraid of are any questions about Virgil

sorry I was just being snark when I saw that first sentence lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

I loving said this at the height of the wonder weapon thing. Excalibur fails a quarter to half the time in peacetime training, what did anyone think would happen?

Also, the Excalibur are more precise but I don’t know I would call them actual precise weapons, considering their cost and very limited supply, it is a tough sell.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I just hate the slow drip of "actually they're low on ammo"..."actually they're short on launchers (which means they've lost many, left unstated)"..."actually they're being jammed" and at no point does anyone go back and think, oh that means what they were saying previously was a lie, they've been lying this whole time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I tried painting a mini tonight. The hard lesson learned is that random tubes of acrylic paint from the crafts store don't really work as well as I'd have liked - it's too thin and drippy and went all over the place.

The boots turned out great though because I found a bottle of Skrag Brown lying about my bag of art supplies. I'd give myself a 4/10, but I will try again tomorrow, with better paint this time. It's a nice way to spend an hour even if it's nowhere near good enough for the 'gram.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

I just hate the slow drip of "actually they're low on ammo"..."actually they're short on launchers (which means they've lost many, left unstated)"..."actually they're being jammed" and at no point does anyone go back and think, oh that means what they were saying previously was a lie, they've been lying this whole time.

Well it is partly about reading between the lines and putting everything together about the entire picture. If 80-85% of the casualties in the conflict are from artillery and they are not only running out of shells and their MRLS systems are getting less effective than what is exactly killing these huge amount of Russians?

I mean you can say some Wagner mercs have got taken out in urban fighting, sure, I don’t doubt it but what is causing these huge amounts of deaths?

It is just slowly the West is starting to admit it in bits and pieces, it is going to make for some interesting historiographic rifts.

That said, it does seem the Russian side of social media does seem extremely fractious and in love of high drama, I will give them that.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't read any "Actuallys" in that article, one thing being true and then the next doesnt mean they lied. They can be low on ammo, and being jammed, and low on launchers -- all can be true at once. I really dont think this is a good example of MEDIA DECEPTION compared to say, Bakhmut simultaneously being irrelevant and a strategically critical fortress.

I also haven't read on them being low on HIMARS launchers, that doesnt seem to be the case since

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
prigozhin losing his poo poo is pretty funny, really laying into shoigu like a he's trying out for nafo

even funnier if it got results

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The particularly brazen stuff like the S300, it just doesn’t seem necessary. To go back to Pearl Harbour for a second, would anyone really not understand if they had been told that the Navy was frantically firing back and unfortunately some people were killed, rather than the myth of Japanese pilots shooting up civilian cars persisting for decades and even making it into the Michael Bay film?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'd love to know if it was rehearsed theatre or if Russia really is that nakedly dysfunctional

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

What if Russian partisans in Poland launched a missile at themselves as a false flag to prove that they could blow up the pipeline?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

The particularly brazen stuff like the S300, it just doesn’t seem necessary. To go back to Pearl Harbour for a second, would anyone really not understand if they had been told that the Navy was frantically firing back and unfortunately some people were killed, rather than the myth of Japanese pilots shooting up civilian cars persisting for decades and even making it into the Michael Bay film?

Civilians being killed was a big selling point for the war and if anything helped fuel much of the hatred for Japanese people at both at home and abroad. Admittedly, at the time, it may have been some way ambiguous what had occurred and by the time it was certain, it did not really matter. If anything they say on the information for decades until almost no one cares anymore.

As for HIMARS launchers, supposedly they fires on average 19 a day… that seems a pretty low amount for 19 launchers (also supposedly a bunch of similar launchers were also sent, who knows what is included in that number or not). Also, the they paraphrased a Ukrainian soldier who said the effectiveness of using a HIMARS is down but he doesn’t give exact specifics. It could be very much a case of all of the above.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:56 on May 5, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Turns out somebody wrote a book on it

The Forgotten Casualties of Pearl Harbor – Inside the Accidental Bombardment of Honolulu on Dec. 7, 1941

As many as 100 civilians were killed or wounded during the Japanese attack in Pearl Harbor. Almost all were victims of what’s known as “friendly fire”.

“Eighty years later, it is perhaps time to be open and honest about what happened on that dreadful day.”

THE JAPANESE ATTACK on Pearl Harbor famously killed more than 2,300 Americans and propelled the United States into the Second World War.

Yet hidden within the alarming death toll – one of the highest the country had suffered in a single-day since the Civil War – were a number of civilians. What’s more, these non-combatant casualties were all victims of friendly fire, not enemy bombs. Their story, which has largely been ignored by popular histories of the Second World War, remains one of the forgotten tragedies of the conflict.

In my recently published book, Secret Casualties of World War Two, I explore the shocking number of civilian deaths during the conflict caused not by enemy action but rather by so-called ‘friendly fire.’

During the London Blitz, for example, as many as half those killed were victims not of German bombs, but rather of British artillery firing at enemy planes flying overhead. Hurling thousands of artillery shells weighing between 28 and 80 pounds into the sky above the capital was a tactic fraught with risk. The chances of any individual shell bringing down a bomber were slim; many did not explode until they landed in the streets below.

America’s first experience of this kind of thing occurred in 1941.

Shortly before 8 a.m. on Sunday, Dec. 7, 1941 waves of Japanese aircraft began dropping bombs and torpedoes on the American ships at Pearl Harbour. The surprise raid was carried out by dive bombers, flying in low enough to identify their targets visually. Midget submarines also approached the coast and fired torpedoes towards the harbour. All the bombs dropped were aimed at military installations; none struck Honolulu, which is six miles from Pearl Harbour.

By a stroke of misfortune for the United States, a large-scale military exercise to test the air defences of the naval base had ended a day earlier. The crews of the anti-aircraft batteries that surrounded the harbour had been given leave, which many of them spent in Honolulu, and the ammunition for their guns had been locked away. It was therefore left to the ships under assault to defend themselves as best they could. This would prove disastrous for the inhabitants of nearby Honolulu.

The defence of the American ships during the attack on Pearl Harbour was for the most part undertaken with five-inch naval guns. Much of the artillery was only intended to engage surface targets, others were dual purpose; meaning that they could also be used for anti-aircraft fire.

In the heat of battle, both types of ordnance were fired against the Japanese dive bombers. Although the shells for use against aerial targets had time-fuses, which could be set to explode in mid-air, the others detonated only when they struck a target.

Not surprisingly, many of the shells fired missed the enemy aircraft and landed in the streets of Honolulu. The shells, weighing around 55 pounds, exploded on impact, killing dozens of civilians, the youngest of whom was a three-month old infant.

Entire families were killed during the bombardment.

Jitsuo Hirasaki was a 48-year-old Japanese-American who ran a restaurant in the city. On the morning of the attack, he was in his diner with his family when a five-inch shell flew through the window and exploded. Harasaki was killed instantly, as were his three children, their 14-year-old cousin and seven young men who just happened to be eating breakfast.

In all, 32 people died in the shelling of Honolulu. Another 36 civilians were killed elsewhere.

The earliest reports of the Japanese attack on Hawaii described not only the destruction of vessels at Pearl Harbor, but also ferocious bombing raids on Honolulu.

It continues, but echoes what you said about it being useful at the time

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

its a special operation OP

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I tried painting a mini tonight. The hard lesson learned is that random tubes of acrylic paint from the crafts store don't really work as well as I'd have liked - it's too thin and drippy and went all over the place.

The boots turned out great though because I found a bottle of Skrag Brown lying about my bag of art supplies. I'd give myself a 4/10, but I will try again tomorrow, with better paint this time. It's a nice way to spend an hour even if it's nowhere near good enough for the 'gram.

You should probably look up some painting guides.

There's a whole technical aspect to it like thinning paint, mixing paint, brush techniques, glazing or layered coats of paint.

But yeah citadel acrylic paint is pretty thick and easy to put on, also easy to make a mess all over the place.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_VuPIS2c

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'd love to know if it was rehearsed theatre or if Russia really is that nakedly dysfunctional

What does your heart tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

really queer Christmas posted:

What does your heart tell you

Mostly theater with some dysfunction