Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

joylessdivision posted:

Is Klaus Kinski still alive, and if so, how do we get him in this movie.

He can be Ridley.

Ridley Scott should be Ridley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1653456861872398337?s=20

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1653444931606724608?s=20
ngl i know they wanna make the harkos weird and sickly looking but I kinda wish he had the flair of Sting in Lynch Dune

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I mean Butler did play Elvis, the flariest of persons, and a lot of people liked that.

Too bad he apparently lost the Elvis accent by the time he was filming Dune.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1653456861872398337?s=20

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1653444931606724608?s=20
ngl i know they wanna make the harkos weird and sickly looking but I kinda wish he had the flair of Sting in Lynch Dune

We were talking about this in the DUNC thread too. I love Villeneuve and technically things look great, but I do think the look of the Harkonnen stuff folks and stuff in general was kind of a misfire and they're a little too generic bad guy looking. They're supposed to be the wealthiest of the great houses and the establishing show does show like a future city kinda place but then they all live in this one cave?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JO6isH-zhU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Neo Rasa posted:

We were talking about this in the DUNC thread too. I love Villeneuve and technically things look great, but I do think the look of the Harkonnen stuff folks and stuff in general was kind of a misfire and they're a little too generic bad guy looking. They're supposed to be the wealthiest of the great houses and the establishing show does show like a future city kinda place but then they all live in this one cave?

They look like the bad guys from Dark City. I do love the bad guys from Dark City, and they kind of fit because they are a decadent society caught in a spiral of decline. But I still think the look doesn't really work for Dune.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dark City is great because they are supposed to be weird and mysterious

Vill Harkos look goth and spartan

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

I mean Butler did play Elvis, the flariest of persons, and a lot of people liked that.

Too bad he apparently lost the Elvis accent by the time he was filming Dune.

He still had it as of the Oscar's maybe someone called him on his poo poo and made him drop it for filming?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Babylon 5 is back in animated movie form

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1653799076641779712

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Anything earnestly described as “a love letter to the fans” is inherently cursed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anything earnestly described as “a love letter to the fans” is inherently cursed
I had the same thought

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Alrighty then

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I was about to make a Bo katan joke but man I will never not get bsg mixed up with that

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean if it's WB actually animating it, at least the animation should be pretty good I guess. :shrug:

They haven't fired all their talented animators in the last couple of years or anything have they?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yeah didn't they shutter almost all their animation division. This feels like something hurriedly put out to everyone's consternation and then disappeared from all their distribution and streaming platforms within a year

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

A few pages back people were wondering if there had ever been good comedy sequels released 10+ years after the original and I have to say the Wet Hot American Summer prequel is really good and holds up on par with the movie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought the complete opposite, that both the prequel and sequel series should have been films if they were going to do anything because they did not have nearly enough material for eight hours each.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I loved all those, Michael and Michael and co can do no wrong for me.

I love Anchorman 2, love Bill & Ted 3. It seems expectations are so particular and personal for sequels, it's pretty tough to please everyone. But I happened to love those ones. Bill & Ted 3 is so low-key and quirky it feels like an indie B-movie adventure. And I love that.

Lupin the Third is a franchise that's been doing great stuff for decades, so plenty of good comedy sequels there.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Anchorman 2 is a good hour and a half movie crammed into two hours. Everything just takes way too loving long.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Anchorman 2 is a good hour and a half movie crammed into two hours. Everything just takes way too loving long.

It eats up a lot of time when there has to be a Will Ferrell reaction to literally every line of dialogue

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I remember hating anchorman 2 and also Zoolander 2

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I thought Anchorman 2 was largely pretty ehhh except for the fight scene toward the end which is the highlight of the entire thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1654250394594463744?t=ByviwsGYZo4auOr_OpO7Ig&s=19

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hah, I wouldn't hate it. Karl is funny and Johnny Cage underwent a transition as more responsible goofy dad in Mortal Kombat X that he'd work for.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Love Karl Urban and I could absolutely see that

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I remember hating anchorman 2 and also Zoolander 2

IIRC Anchorman 2 was pretty much only made because Adam McKay wanted to make The Big Short instead. And while Zoolander 2 was terrible it did give us Ben Stiller's directing/producing career which led to Severance being a thing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Severance kind of came out of loving nowhere for Stiller. The closest thing tonally I can remember him ever doing is Cable Guy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC Anchorman 2 was pretty much only made because Adam McKay wanted to make The Big Short instead. And while Zoolander 2 was terrible it did give us Ben Stiller's directing/producing career which led to Severance being a thing.

I would have thought Zoolander 1 plus Cable Guy and Tropic Thunder did that

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, Stiller has been directing movies since the 90s, including the original Zoolander.

Actually, if anything, Zoolander 2 seems like it ended his film directing career since he's shifted to TV since then.

I will say, while I really disliked Zoolander 2 as a whole, I did really laugh at the bit where the Zoolander Center for Kids' collapsing is the movie universe's version of 9/11.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 5, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stiller has said that Zoolander 2 flopping gave him some perspective and drive to direct, which is something he wanted to do more than acting.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Reality Bites was pretty accomplished for a debut as well, I often misremember and think it was Linklater. The movie itself is unwatchably 90s now tho

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Cast him as Kano, what the gently caress are you doing Hollywood.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

joylessdivision posted:

Cast him as Kano, what the gently caress are you doing Hollywood.

The fact that they're making a Mortal Kombat 2 should give you a hint to their competency

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't the first one basically the fireworks factory joke?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I mean the guy they got Kano in the first one was good so don't replace him. Just let him do his thing more

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Personally I was glad they didn't just re-do the original tournament movie. The bigger problem was Original-Character-Do-Not-Steal 'Cole Young.'

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Leatherhead posted:

Personally I was glad they didn't just re-do the original tournament movie. The bigger problem was Original-Character-Do-Not-Steal 'Cole Young.'

Also "this birthmark is the reason why we have special powers", nobody gives a poo poo just rip some heads off.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Pretty much yeah

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cacator posted:

Also "this birthmark is the reason why we have special powers", nobody gives a poo poo just rip some heads off.

Please tell me the birthmark is in the shape of the Mortal Kombat logo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Pretty much is