Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ewe2 posted:

My comment about the round of 32 choices: if I'm reading it right, they basically replaced 4 2-2 bots with 4 1-3 bots. An interesting decision. The argument could be made for Tantrum and Ribbot over Valkyrie and Shreddit Bro, I think they simply have better drivers whatever the merits of the bots. it gets more contentious when comparing Fusion and Shatter! with Triton and Mammoth. Nothing against Reece but I don't see how his bot outperformed Mammoth. And Shatter! has never beaten any of the higher-seeded bots except, interestingly, Lock-Jaw. By needing a large pool to end up with a round of 32, you're going to have to make these kinds of decisions, it is what it is, I just hope we get more RIPperonis but that's probably a lot to ask.

It is weird that Shatter got in the 32, they really haven't shown much of anything this season. Their spot probably should have went to another team like Triton maybe.

Mammoth went 2-2, but their wins were judges decisions over Starchild & Kraken. Both bots went 0-4. Mammoth is kind of nerfed with the current Battlebox, it's nearly impossible to get a bot out of the arena.

Fusion went 1-3 beating Emulsifier and then losing a split decision with Witch Doctor & also losing to Huge & Rotator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Time to get on board with the pizza.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol saw someone point out that Ripperoni got seeded lower than Copperhead even though they had the same record, but Ripperoni had a better strength of schedule and also beat Copperhead convincingly

Also Jackpot seeded under Ribbot despite having a better record than Ribbot and also kicking the poo poo out of Ribbot.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

lol saw someone point out that Ripperoni got seeded lower than Copperhead even though they had the same record, but Ripperoni had a better strength of schedule and also beat Copperhead convincingly

Also Jackpot seeded under Ribbot despite having a better record than Ribbot and also kicking the poo poo out of Ribbot.

Yea the seeding on Battlebots outside the top 4 or so is mostly meaningless I think. There's a lot of fights in the brackets that most definitely are there for potentially good storylines and fights instead of the actual performance of the teams.

No way it's a coincidence the 2 nut holders are facing off in round 1 for example.

There's also the 2 English bots, Cobalt (although sold to Gigabyte) and Monsoon fighting in round 1 with similar weapons too.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Ripperoni - black dragon is still the saddest matchup to me. I really like both those teams.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Time to get on board with the pizza.

Ripperoni is the glass cannonest glass cannon that ever glass cannoned and I love it. I would love to see it go far in this tournament.

As for the mid-level seedings, I think a team's pedigree matters more than we might want it to. Copperhead, for example, has been around but Ripperoni is a more unknown quantity. If you're the producers trying to make sure as many tournament matches as possible are good, I guess the argument would be you can trust the proven bot to give you good matches more than the unproven one. You see this in college football and basketball seedings too. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's a thing.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ray Billings new bot Mortician got its first fight. He really seems stuck on that design, but he has a new driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yDJ_VIzkWE

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

Ray Billings new bot Mortician got its first fight. He really seems stuck on that design, but he has a new driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yDJ_VIzkWE

The new driver has yet to master the Billings Maneuver where he hits them with the butt and then pivots the blade into their side.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

The new driver has yet to master the Billings Maneuver where he hits them tempts them with the butt and then pivots the blade into their side.

I winder if Claw Viper would be fast enough to actually grab Tombstone by the butt before Ray could spin around and whack them

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Alright, double-octofinals

Witch Doctor-Jackpot: About as expected. Jackpot really took a licking there, and it kinda seems like a bot on the decline with everyone else moving to brushless motors and whatnot. Which is too bad because it's great to have a robot with "only" a $5,000 pricetag in the competition.

Lucky-Hypershock: Lucky was really playing with fire by hitting the flipper right into the weapon and eventually got burned. Those forks were doing some good work deflecting Hypershock's attacks though.

Lockjaw-Bloodsport: Holy poo poo what a turnaround. This was a tall order for Bloodsport since Lockjaw already had a winning formula and Bloodsport was driving it perfectly then :rip

Shatter-Riptide: Weird stuff pre-fight but who knows how much of that is unusual. Pretty unclear how they could lose 2 lbs, seems like Shatter thinks they were breaking tip speed rules. Weighing down the weapon so it only hits 250 mph in final testing and then removing the weight after testing? It seems like it would be tough to pull off.

Shatter survived a lot longer than most this season at least.

Madcatter-Claw Viper: Great fight, but Madcatter clearly got the best of them.

I don't know what Derek was smoking scoring that for Claw Viper. Can't blame them for appealing a split decision in the tournament though.

Weird presentation to have it go back out to Faruq and have another announcement. I preferred the way they did the appeal results in the regular season.

Huge-Skorpios: Woo boy, that might have been the biggest threat to Huge in that quadrant too. It's just 4-wheel verts from here on out, which is exactly what Huge is built to kill.

Rotator-Copperhead: Neither bot looked 100% from the jump. Pretty lackluster fight.

Tantrum-End Game: The logical endpoint of the fork meta is two bots locked up, unable to touch each other with their weapons for 3 minutes.

Ultimately End Game managed to push through and this will be a third loss to End Game where Tantrum will tell themselves "we had them on the ropes sometimes, could have gone either way".

Post-Show
Pretty good interviews and some post-fight damage. Worth the watch I'd say

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Before:

RIP Jackpot. It's a cool bot though I'd like to see it back.

Hypershock v Lucky - yeah p much, though at the start it half occurred to me that Hypershock could've easily beefed it lol

Bloodsport and Lock-Jaw - Lmao this match amazing. That was a pretty fast flameout and an even faster tire slash. Then that last bop lmao. Rip. I was pretty sure my bracket was doomed here haha. Plows are good!

Shatter went out the obvious way lol. That was some air time though!

RIP the sign. Closer than I thought that'd be though.

Wow Skorpios really bombed out there. Expected a tossup there.

Rotator's really just constantly underwhelming but Copperhead taking that hit really sort of took the wind out of the fight lol.

End Game remains our hope against Riptide.

Great opening to the tournament! My bracket holds firm lol, barely (Lock-Jaw!). Though, I wonder what's the deal with the pre-fight stuff and Riptide? It overshadowed the whole thing to me. It seems like it cleared and they reaffirmed the weapon speed too at the end too but on the other hand the refs gently caress up a lot, but they also just play that sort of thing up a ton. It seems more like they're setting up a narrative instead of anything serious but at the same time they did look up to something. It's really just getting to be not fun to watch them, regardless how the actual fight goes. Manufactured or not it's just dragging things down to listen to.

Going back to Jackpot though, you know, maybe instead of a weight class there's a budget class? That might shake it up and make things more open to people. Still keep some limits around though.

The post-fight's a fun idea, I'd like to see that more.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 4, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also Reddit has this gif of Copperhead looking busy for one of the pit interviews and lmao :allears:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

RBA Starblade posted:

Though, I wonder what's the deal with the pre-fight stuff and Riptide? It overshadowed the whole thing to me. It seems like it cleared and they reaffirmed the weapon speed too at the end too but on the other hand the refs gently caress up a lot, but they also just play that sort of thing up a ton. It seems more like they're setting up a narrative instead of anything serious but at the same time they did look up to something. It's really just getting to be not fun to watch them, regardless how the actual fight goes. Manufactured or not it's just dragging things down to listen to.

It's strange because still team Riptide are pieces of poo poo. But it seems the whole prefight (and post fight) was Team Shatter just being a little bit of sore losers. I guess team Riptide maybe were working on the bot after the weigh-in which is against the rules. But I doubt Riptide was intentionally trying to cheat in order to beat Shatter.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Also Reddit has this gif of Copperhead looking busy for one of the pit interviews and lmao :allears:

Haha, I saw that too. Apparently the Hypershock guys were just hammering on the tires in the background of the pit interview in this episode because the TV crew tells them "look like you're working on the bot" so they take it a chance to be goofy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Great opening to the tournament! My bracket holds firm lol, barely (Lock-Jaw!). Though, I wonder what's the deal with the pre-fight stuff and Riptide? It overshadowed the whole thing to me. It seems like it cleared and they reaffirmed the weapon speed too at the end too but on the other hand the refs gently caress up a lot, but they also just play that sort of thing up a ton. It seems more like they're setting up a narrative instead of anything serious but at the same time they did look up to something. It's really just getting to be not fun to watch them, regardless how the actual fight goes. Manufactured or not it's just dragging things down to listen to.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's strange because still team Riptide are pieces of poo poo. But it seems the whole prefight (and post fight) was Team Shatter just being a little bit of sore losers. I guess team Riptide maybe were working on the bot after the weigh-in which is against the rules. But I doubt Riptide was intentionally trying to cheat in order to beat Shatter.

It was very strange. It did seem like Shatter was being paranoid, but I don't know why Riptide would weigh in different. That said, I don't think the extra testing was unwarranted if they were loving around with the bot after testing.

I mean, if they do tip speed tests before and after, how could they be cheating?

All you could tell from the video was one of the Riptide guys was loving around with duct tape.

Is dry ice cooling even against the rules? If they want to waste weight on it, doesn't feel wrong to me.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 4, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PostNouveau posted:

It was very strange. It did seem like Shatter was being paranoid, but I don't know why Riptide would weigh in different.

I mean, if they do tip speed tests before and after, how could they be cheating?

From skimming around Reddit more for hot takes reactions to whatever that was, apparently earlier in the season Hijinx noticed someone using dry ice to cool themselves internally (which isn't against the rules afaik, but I hadn't even heard of it being a thing before), maybe Riptide's doing that and it's simply thawing before the match? But yeah it seems like with the post-fight they all but confirm that it was fine anyway though it was still rulebreaking to fiddle with it at that time, so :shrug:

It seems like the kind of thing with Hydra's cowcatcher where someone should have called it out but simply didn't, so what's the team going to do, really?

The rest I get playing up to have a villain narrative or whatever but it's still sucking the fun out of it and I'm tired of hearing about them lol. I guess the difference from other years is Ray really obviously's a nice guy (I didn't even think they were trying to seriously push him as a heel for a while lol) and Jake's mostly goofing off or testing the limits of the rules (or a ref is loving something up). Some other odd stuff the Shatter captain pointed out though from my Reddit safari- they CGI'd stuff onto Shatter at one point for a shot (I guess because they didn't have a good picture of it at the time? Weird though), but also composited him into the clip of them looking at Riptide at the weigh-in/being worked on; he said he wasn't actually there. I've been saying it all season but the editing is kind of just wtf in general this year, as good as the rest has been.

I wonder if they would have even bothered to air any of it if Ethan hadn't just out and called it out in the post-fight interview.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

The rest I get playing up to have a villain narrative or whatever but it's still sucking the fun out of it and I'm tired of hearing about them lol. I guess the difference from other years is Ray really obviously's a nice guy (I didn't even think they were trying to seriously push him as a heel for a while lol) and Jake's mostly goofing off or testing the limits of the rules (or a ref is loving something up). Some other odd stuff the Shatter captain pointed out though from my Reddit safari- they CGI'd stuff onto Shatter at one point for a shot (I guess because they didn't have a good picture of it at the time? Weird though), but also composited him into the clip of them looking at Riptide at the weigh-in/being worked on; he said he wasn't actually there. I've been saying it all season but the editing is kind of just wtf in general this year, as good as the rest has been.

I wonder if they would have even bothered to air any of it if Ethan hadn't just out and called it out in the post-fight interview.

lol, compositing people in is super weird. You're airing footage from a live event! I know you make choices in editing and some of the audio stuff gets fixed later, but poo poo that did not happen at all is over the line.

I'd like to think the TV production would have learned by now that they shouldn't stir the pot because the toxic parts of the fanbase go way too far. I guess they didn't have much choice but to cover it if it came up in the post-fight.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

RBA Starblade posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if they edited in Team Shatter for extra drama. But also why would team shatter not be around if they were worried about weight and Riptide making modifications to the bot. Team Shatter came off the episode looking kind of bad, against Riptide of all teams, so not sure how much I believe them if they say the production gave them an unfair edit.

I do doubt that they would have shown any footage from it if Ethan didn't call it out in the post-fight interview and Team Shatter refusing the handshake at the end.

PostNouveau posted:

lol, compositing people in is super weird. You're airing footage from a live event! I know you make choices in editing and some of the audio stuff gets fixed later, but poo poo that did not happen at all is over the line.

It goes a bit beyond just fixing audio stuff later on. Pretty much everyone inside the battlebox arena is wearing the same clothes, the entire season. Faruq, Chris & Kenny wear the same suit the entire season, and the judges and most of the teams (if not all) are also wearing the same team gear & outfits for every fight. So they can cut in video from other fights & unrelated footage wherever they want to sell the reality TV story.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Shatter-Riptide: Weird stuff pre-fight but who knows how much of that is unusual. Pretty unclear how they could lose 2 lbs, seems like Shatter thinks they were breaking tip speed rules. Weighing down the weapon so it only hits 250 mph in final testing and then removing the weight after testing? It seems like it would be tough to pull off.

Shatter survived a lot longer than most this season at least.

There's not really any reason to put that much effort in. They could just limit that channel on the transmitter to 80 percent then switch to an identical profile with 100 percent during the fight. I do the same thing for less nefarious reasons with my small bots, it takes maybe a minute to set up.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 4, 2023

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Huge gonna take the nut! Kidding aside I think they have a chance.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

oh man Bloodsport, what an own goal

:rip:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Ethan is the only time where I am not sure if the rear end in a top hat bit is a bit.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

TomR posted:

Huge gonna take the nut! Kidding aside I think they have a chance.

It's certainly the best chance they've had in a long time.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Doubleposting:

From Sid on team riptide:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Great Beer posted:

Doubleposting:

From Sid on team riptide:

That only raises further questions lol like where the rest of the weight loss came from then, though I think it's that dry ice thing

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

The new driver has yet to master the Billings Maneuver where he hits them with the butt and then pivots the blade into their side.

Isn't that Rotator's gig? :v: and wasn't that a good old slugfest. I don't mind matches like that, Rotator had a good chance to rip off Copperhead's wheel and we might have been talking End Game v Rotator instead. And speaking of wheels, oh Bloodsport, you were following the script to kill Lock-Jaw and you killed yourself instead. Boo.

That HUGE v Skorpios fight, I actually felt sorry for Skorpios because they gave it a red hot go and HUGE is just purpose-built to bring the pain to bots that go underneath it. And Skorpios needs a complete redesign like Kenny was implying, it's well behind the times, its too easy to kill.

Driver of the night goes to Will Bales for beating another great driver, Lucky's Matt Olsen. Not to put down Mike Golightly's brutal demolition of Jackpot - particularly after Jackpots' casual putdown of Mike because he doesn't drive lower weight classes. I think Mike answered that question, he doesn't need to. This is one of the things that is keeping Battlebots fun, the sheer stupidity of it. Why the creators felt the needto add more confected drama to the idiotic things people are saying about each other beats me.

The only drama I want is for someone to beat Riptide so he goes completely apeshit as does his fans and Kenny has to hold him back and Chris Rose is screaming "cut the feed!" in the background and chaos ensues as fans take sides in a pitched battle against each other and Faruq stands there enjoying the scene.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They're apparently giving on-the-cusp bots some exhibition time in the live show

https://twitter.com/battlebots/status/1654441345988141057

Weird to see an old-school wedgebot design. I assume it's also a flipper or something.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

They're apparently giving on-the-cusp bots some exhibition time in the live show

Weird to see an old-school wedgebot design. I assume it's also a flipper or something.

Yes, it is

https://tigardlife.com/featured/tigard-entrepreneur-hopes-to-ptera-dominate-the-robot-world/

quote:

Another example is the way he has adapted a welding regulator to carefully measure the amount of air he will need to power an internal piston that he intends to use to propel opposing robots upward and into the air.

As well as a spinner

quote:

pieces of AR600 steel he has had machined into a series of rotating blades. These are packed together into a row on the rear of the robot and spin at up to 8,000 rpm.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Great Beer posted:

From Sid on team riptide
Saw that as well. What that team doesn't seem to understand is that BB would never have had to assemble the footage if their 'leader' wouldn't have brought it up in the interview. What gaggle of idiots picks the least likable, most socially inept person as their face?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

It's a really good idea for Battlebots to do really. It's fun and exciting for the people seeing the live show, and gives some rookie designs a chance to test out their design before trying to get into filming the season.

The F1 race in the fall is going to mess up filming Battlebots, so they are either filming season 8 during the summer or early 2024. So if they are doing the summer dates, now is a good time to get rookie teams to the live show!

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Slyphic posted:

Saw that as well. What that team doesn't seem to understand is that BB would never have had to assemble the footage if their 'leader' wouldn't have brought it up in the interview. What gaggle of idiots picks the least likable, most socially inept person as their face?

Its because his dad gives them money. Money he makes from selling a "cure" for autism.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

That only raises further questions lol like where the rest of the weight loss came from then, though I think it's that dry ice thing

One of the scales was allegedly defective and would show up to a 4lb difference depending on where the robot was placed. So it was probably a big nothing burger made worse by team riptide being consistent jerks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Great Beer posted:

One of the scales was allegedly defective and would show up to a 4lb difference depending on where the robot was placed. So it was probably a big nothing burger made worse by team riptide being consistent jerks.

Lol

Thanks Battlebots

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

:ughh:

I don't know if the TV production is ever going to learn to cool it.

An awkward edit of the post-fight interviews would have been so much better than making a mess of things like this. Riptide seems like they're taking a lot of heat they shouldn't (except for they're jerks so everyone is inclined to believe it), and Shatter's potentially legit tip speed complaints are now clouding the competition. They could have quietly tightened things up behind-the-scenes between seasons but now the show has kicked up a bunch of internet heckling of the teams, the production crew, the rulemakers. This looks like a minor incident that one would expect to happen in a complicated event like this.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I don't want to give production too much credit here, but I wonder if they're editing to support a DQ later in the tournament for Riptide, hoping for a 'well they had it coming' rather than a 'wtf, where did this come from?' moment.

I would prefer if they just didn't allow assholes like an autism 'cure' fraud through the doors, but they missed the chance to set the bar for ethics and decency with that last year.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Slyphic posted:

I don't want to give production too much credit here, but I wonder if they're editing to support a DQ later in the tournament for Riptide, hoping for a 'well they had it coming' rather than a 'wtf, where did this come from?' moment.

I would prefer if they just didn't allow assholes like an autism 'cure' fraud through the doors, but they missed the chance to set the bar for ethics and decency with that last year.

It's possible I've seen very vague internet rumors (:siren:warning here this might be a spoiler for a future fight or it might be dumb internet bullshit:siren:) even more drama in the Hypershock-Riptide fight and insinuation from people who claim to be in the know that Hypershock wins that fight. A DQ there would maybe explain why the TV production is going in on Riptide so hard now.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Great Beer posted:

Hahahahahaha ... :negative:

Great tv show guys

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Uggggggh this bullshit manufactured drama is the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
this is how you know battlebots has achieved being an actual sport