Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

skooma512 posted:

Oh yeah, I live in LA. The carhate is personal, it's so loving personal you can't even imagine.

That's what I don't get about that number, you would have to drive from the edge of LA to the center, and that's somehow the American average?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Weka posted:

That's what I don't get about that number, you would have to drive from the edge of LA to the center, and that's somehow the American average?

LA , the SF bay area, and NYC aren't the only places with long commutes lol, they're some of the biggest outliers, but as housing continues to get more and more expensive for basically no reason but "gently caress you", the longer commutes will continue to get

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Yeah but I figured as bad as it gets in LA would not be average.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

essentially a series of missed opportunities to take the keys out of her hands and save some lives, but the state doesn't even see this as an option. her right to keep endangering others is more fundamental than their right to life.

I'm noticing a pattern in america

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Weka posted:

Almost every state east of the rocky mountains has a couple of cities like that. Tons of jobs in the city but nobody can afford to live there or they don't want to because they think it's not safe for families. Having parents that spend about an hour driving to work was normal when I was growing up.

The most extreme example I can remember was someone whose dad had a 3 hour drive to work so he just lived in a studio apartment in the city during the week and then came home for the weekends.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Still cheaper than a divorce with split custody

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Actually now that you mention it that totally could have been a "not divorce" situation. They were pretty religious.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hmm

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

hailthefish posted:

LA , the SF bay area, and NYC aren't the only places with long commutes lol, they're some of the biggest outliers, but as housing continues to get more and more expensive for basically no reason but "gently caress you", the longer commutes will continue to get

When I first moved here I worked with a guy who had a 115 mile round trip commute every day. Some people are just sickos

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

meanwhile in my tiny town one new business opened up, a bar, and between Thursday evening and Monday morning there is no parking available any more lol

fuckin deranged way to structure society

How else are all the drunk people supposed to get home?

Apr 7, 2003

heated game moment posted:

How else are all the drunk people supposed to get home?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

the implication

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Allowing cars to drive on beaches continues to be just a great idea that isn't demented on its face!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

Almost every state east of the rocky mountains has a couple of cities like that. Tons of jobs in the city but nobody can afford to live there or they don't want to because they think it's not safe for families. Having parents that spend about an hour driving to work was normal when I was growing up.

The most extreme example I can remember was someone whose dad had a 3 hour drive to work so he just lived in a studio apartment in the city during the week and then came home for the weekends.

Atlanta is like this. Holy hell. My sister only goes in three times a week but commutes nearly 60 miles from here ridiculous suburb to downtown. As do most of her neighbors

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAU2TgfZAcc

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

cat botherer posted:

Allowing cars to drive on beaches continues to be just a great idea that isn't demented on its face!

I don’t think they were actually driving on the beach. I don’t know for sure what it’s like now but I don’t remember beach driving being a thing anywhere in South Carolina back when I lived there. It’s pretty widely allowed in Oregon and Washington but I can’t remember the last time I heard about an accident. You got to be careful with the tides though. I saw a VW bug with BC plates get stuck in the rising tide a few years ago. Luckily there was a guy down there with an old rover who managed to pull it out before it got swept away

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Atlanta is like this. Holy hell. My sister only goes in three times a week but commutes nearly 60 miles from here ridiculous suburb to downtown. As do most of her neighbors

Atlanta is a textbook example of this. There are more people around Atlanta than in Atlanta. A perfect example of car-centric urban planning gone wrong.

Apr 7, 2003

It kicks rear end that the Atlanta Braves's new stadium is an hour from downtown Atlanta when there's traffic (there's always traffic)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I kinda support driving on beaches, but only because the salt is not good for the car at all.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I can’t remember if it was this thread or the pics thread but recently somebody posted a meme that “the driving distance from Atlanta, GA to Atlanta, GA is one hour…” I sent it to my sister and she just responded with the skull emoji

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I don’t think they were actually driving on the beach. I don’t know for sure what it’s like now but I don’t remember beach driving being a thing anywhere in South Carolina back when I lived there. It’s pretty widely allowed in Oregon and Washington but I can’t remember the last time I heard about an accident. You got to be careful with the tides though. I saw a VW bug with BC plates get stuck in the rising tide a few years ago. Luckily there was a guy down there with an old rover who managed to pull it out before it got swept away
I don't know about SC specifically, but I've seen a number of east coast beaches (garbage beaches) that allow driving. It's not as big of a deal on WA and OR because you don't have masses of people lying down on the beach and poo poo because it is cold and windy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It kicks rear end that the Atlanta Braves's new stadium is an hour from downtown Atlanta when there's traffic (there's always traffic)

3 o clock am on christmas morning there's atlanta traffic lol

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Literally every Braves fan I've met loves the new stadium because they don't have to drive into downtown to see a game now. But there's just as much traffic around the new stadium as the old one. So if it's not the traffic they're glad to be away from then what is it?

:thunk:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Weka posted:

American exceptionalism ftw

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

Literally every Braves fan I've met loves the new stadium because they don't have to drive into downtown to see a game now. But there's just as much traffic around the new stadium as the old one. So if it's not the traffic they're glad to be away from then what is it?

:thunk:

They loving love it. The Atlanta news recently hailed that place as "the gold standard in mixed-use development" and my eyes rolled out of my skull.

Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They loving love it. The Atlanta news recently hailed that place as "the gold standard in mixed-use development" and my eyes rolled out of my skull.

It's straight up a copy of any late eighties / early nineties suburban strip mall development, there's even a Red Lobster across from the ballpark

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:wtc: mixed use? do they have $500k luxury condos in a subterranean warren under the stadium or something?

Apr 7, 2003

My first experiences of the deep south were working in suburban Birmingham when I was 18-19 and I was gobsmacked, coming from the northeast, that people lived in these isolated gated communities with no sidewalks or even streetlights.

mystes
May 31, 2006

My first experiences of the deep south were working in suburban Birmingham when I was 18-19 and I was gobsmacked, coming from the northeast, that people lived in these isolated gated communities with no sidewalks or even streetlights.
I think that's everywhere now except for places built before gated communities were invented though

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

:wtc: mixed use? do they have $500k luxury condos in a subterranean warren under the stadium or something?

It's built into a big complex of attached shopping and restaurants called the Battery, and lots of housing was already around or went up after it did. I don't think anybody figures traffic into anything in Atlanta because it's always bad all the time everywhere no matter what. I miss the old stadium because it had so much history for me, but even it was something this thread would lmao about because the huge parking lot had like 2 exits both right onto the most congested highways in the city and 40,000 people all leaving at the same time, and was the old old stadium paved over so you could literally park on the old home plate location and you'd know because it had a marker iirc.

Funny enough even the new stadium with its obvious reasons it was moved was grumbled about because all the parking for it is a much longer walk from the stadium.

Apr 7, 2003

All three stadiums here are in the city like Turner Field was and have the same problem, getting out is hell after a game.

Oorrrrrrrr, you could take the subway stations that are right next to the stadiums and be out of town within twenty minutes

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah it ain't great. It's a once a year treat for me if that and I always make sure someone else is driving when I go, what I really miss is living near a minor league park. Used to live 20 minutes from the Pirate's AAA team and while there wasn't a subway, it's minor league so you could just park for free at the zoo nearby, see the game for $10 and get some free unhinged swag as is traditional for the minor leagues, then go wander around the zoo for a bit or maybe a nearby museum.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Weka posted:

People absolutely do this poo poo. I worked with someone who lived in Redlands and commuted to near downtown LA, everyday. This is basically Big Bear, or a 2 hour drive if uncontested, which uh lol no it's not on a weekday. Plenty of people also commute in from Santa Clarita or Palmdale, which is 50 miles easy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah it ain't great. It's a once a year treat for me if that and I always make sure someone else is driving when I go, what I really miss is living near a minor league park. Used to live 20 minutes from the Pirate's AAA team and while there wasn't a subway, it's minor league so you could just park for free at the zoo nearby, see the game for $10 and get some free unhinged swag as is traditional for the minor leagues, then go wander around the zoo for a bit or maybe a nearby museum.

Minor leagues have the best mascots and poo poo generally

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

wow, that article only talks about guns and not the crazy people driving up and down that poor man’s neighborhood

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

skooma512 posted:

People absolutely do this poo poo. I worked with someone who lived in Redlands and commuted to near downtown LA, everyday. This is basically Big Bear, or a 2 hour drive if uncontested, which uh lol no it's not on a weekday. Plenty of people also commute in from Santa Clarita or Palmdale, which is 50 miles easy.
Palmdale's relatively cheap because its a boring collection of strip malls and subdivisions across the mountains in a hellish desert, but lol at then more than offsetting the cost savings (not to mention time) commuting to LA every day. People who buy places in the exurbs have amazing brains.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

Heard stories about how a person drove from Rancho to LAX for work.

LA doesn't need to be one of those "everybody goes to downtown for work" cities. There are tons of offices everywhere, just have people work there.

There was woman who had two jobs in data entry, in roughly the same place. The first one offered flex time and she came in early because it worked well with dropping off her kids from school. But the second one had this loving poo poo head transplant boss that wanted everybody to show up at the same time. So there she was stuck in traffic and making more traffic.

Rancho to LAX is like 1 and half hour drive with no traffic, but can hit 3 hour on a bad day

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 18:50 on May 5, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Minor leagues have the best mascots and poo poo generally

Yeah, if you just wanna watch some baseball on a nice day it's the best choice 100% of the time. A visit to a major league game is more like a special treat. You still get to see a lot of real talent too. I was pretty lucky because the Pirates' AAA team was usually at least as good as the Pirates

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

theres a lot to hate about houston in general but i do like that all of our sports stadiums are centrally located and accessible by public transit. you can ride the light rail or the bus to go see any of our teams, it's very easy. hell the light rail can drop you off directly at the soccer and football parks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I knew people who commuted daily from Ukiah to Santa Rosa, which is about a ninety-minute drive one way.

Americans are loving insane.