Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah my parents talk about how renters have no incentive to take care of the place they live in because they'll just move at the end of their contract and then immediately be shocked at the problems we've had getting the problems in our flat fixed. Able to understand that it's entirely the landlord or estate agent's fault when they are tangentially affected, but incapable of transferring that understanding to the broader situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Well yeah, taking care of the property is part of the landlords expenses. I don't know why they expect their tenants to do free maintenance as well.

For example there were weeds growing in the gutters where I was renting. The whole street is like that.
I told the landlord and they said can I get a ladder and do them. Eventually some guy came by offering his services to clean them and I passed his details along to the landlord. Again the landlord asked me to take care of it (pay for it myself), even though it's not my house.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is remarkable how landlords feel entitled to every penny they can squeeze out of people while simultaneously claiming they are so very hard done by in their job of collecting money for doing nothing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The funny part is most Tennancy agreements specifically say that the Tennant can't do any renovation work without the express permission of the Landlord.
So even beyond how there is a bit of a double standard to "you can't put a chin up bar in your house. But feel free to clean the gutters" surely the Landlord wouldn't want the Tennant cleaning the gutters in case they fell while doing it? Then it becomes an insurance/occupiers liability issue.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The landlord wants the tenant to clean the gutters for free and then claim they came up with the idea themselves if they fall off.

I assume this because "I want reality to work both ways as long is it benefits me" is 90% of landlording.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah my parents talk about how renters have no incentive to take care of the place they live in because they'll just move at the end of their contract and then immediately be shocked at the problems we've had getting the problems in our flat fixed. Able to understand that it's entirely the landlord or estate agent's fault when they are tangentially affected, but incapable of transferring that understanding to the broader situation.

Yes this guy kept saying that to me and my wife. My wife who worked in lettings for ten years (she's a writer now :woop:), who then went on to school his rear end. Guy never rented, lived in his mas house even after getting married, but would show up to mine with his missus and go on and on about unaffordable my rent was. It was plenty affordable, THAT'S WHY WE LIVED THERE.

Worst issue in mine ended up being our fire extinguisher, which took 8 years to get installed, with the whole "Oh yeah you're required to have one in here..uhhh oh can't YOU get it?" "actually you're required to supply one" every 6 months or so. There are so many things like that you just stop asking unless it's REALLY big.

edit: also my favorite LL catch 22, "You cannot use a clothes horse to dry clothes inside or outside the apt... No I will NOT fix your washer dryer!"

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
What is the justification for not allowing indoor drying? Do they assume the clothes are permanently absorbing precious, expensive heat?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Cicadalek posted:

What is the justification for not allowing indoor drying? Do they assume the clothes are permanently absorbing precious, expensive heat?

causes damp in poorly ventilated houses, which of course landlord hasn't paid to install vents as needed

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I don't even have anything witty to say to that, that's just loving miserable

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Fun fact, the legislation says that the minimum standard for a private rented accommodation has to include acess to a washing machine and a dryer if the property does not have an outside clothes line.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2019/si/137/made/en/print

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
My landlord suggested I install a dishwasher on my own dime lol. What was I going to do, take it with me when I left?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Leave it behind as a gift to your landlord, so they can charge the next tenant an extra couple of hundred for the privilege of having it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, I have had one good landlord who would ask us to fix minor stuff on the understanding that he'd reimburse us the costs and then pay us for our time. We made a couple of grand out of fixing stuff for him in the end, and the reference he gave us for the next place we rented is spectacular.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ammi Burke just had her unfair dimissal case thrown out after failing to get yet another judge to recuse themselves. She conducted herself about as well as you'd expect

https://twitter.com/FrankGreaney/status/1654131856634441728?t=PXuwBL4KSgNzRI9q9rkStg&s=19

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The funny thing is she's kind of put herself into a Catch-22 position where her performance in court means that even if by some miracle she bullies herself back into a job they can point at this and go "gross incompetence" and fire her again :allears:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I wonder if they shout over each other at home.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I imagine it's a vow of silence at home but they're allowed to moan when they orgasm from flogging each other with the cat of nine tails

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So just for those keeping score.

Ammi lost her WRC case against her employer because the standard of her presenting her own case fell so far below the expected norms for courtroom proceedings that the Adjudicating Officer said the judicial equivalent of "gently caress this, I'm out." and dismissed the case.

Ammi's lost her judicial review of the WRC case in the High Court because the standard of her presenting her own case fell so far below the expected norms for courtroom proceedings that the High Court Judge said the judicial equivalent of "gently caress this, I'm out." and dismissed the case.
One of the legal arguments being advanced was "I wasn't aggressive. I was just being forceful in my attempts to make sure the law was followed." And well, the Judge seems to have gotten a flavour of how that went.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

All the while your mother is behind you in the room shouting 'God'll git ye!' to everything not going her way.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

They are people functionally incapable of interacting with the actual world. Which is extremely weird, given that so many of them have hard-won qualifications that require an ability to interact with the modern world.
It's like they all learned to fake normality until they got qualified, then reverted to absolute loving insanity afterwards.
Most of the younger adult Burkes have impressive academic qualifications, but they are all functionally insane. Insane in the sense that their version of reality is profoundly at odds with the generally accepted version.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Dumping litres of vinegar on the one fly over and over.

You would think the shrewd approach, when you're up in court over a problem your shite behaviour and obnoxious attitude cause, would be to prove that wrong by cooperating with everyone involved. I can't tell anymore though if this is just attention grabbing theatrics, the righteous anger of people who are too quick to feel deeply wounded (usually by queer people existing but sometimes, apparently by being asked to work) or if they really are just deeply deeply mentally ill as a unit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think the reason they get impressive qualifications, usually, but not always, without sueing, is that as long as things are going their way it's all "God's plan" and the second it stops going their way then it must be an affront to that same plan... somehow.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
With Argos closed and Gamestop closing down, what business will go next in Ireland?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

PowerBeard posted:

With Argos closed and Gamestop closing down, what business will go next in Ireland?

Everything that isn't a phone repair shop or a vape shop.

Those with a combination phone repair and vape shop will rule us all in 2030.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

PowerBeard posted:

Hopefully mine

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd say Marks and Spencer will be the next to start "restructuring" locations. Any food hall that doesn't have clothes attached will go.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Iceland is probably pretty fecked. I'd say Dealz is struggling too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd say Marks and Spencer will be the next to start "restructuring" locations. Any food hall that doesn't have clothes attached will go.

In the UK at least they seem to be opening more food only places, and they just closed a big combination one near me.

Would have thought the food would be the main seller honestly, it's expensive but at least it's distinct, I dunno that their clothes are that different from any other high street brand and all those have shuttered.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E: ^^^^ agreed that I reckon there's more profit in the solo food halls.

The clothes can often be pretty good quality. I got the tie for my wedding suit there lately

Pookah posted:

My nearby Iceland on the Navan Rd is gone alright. They're fairly shite tbf

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The price difference between Ireland and the UK is wild for M&S food. Here in central London it's a little more expensive for what you get, but for the bits we bother with that cost is worth it. We regularly get the two pizzas and two sides for £12 deal because the dirty fries make it a solid meal, but the dirty fries alone cost like €5.80 last I looked at home. Being in competition with Waitrose is fine. Being head and shoulders more expensive than every other supermarket is not as sustainable.

Pookah posted:

Dealz is probably doing fine TBH. More people are shopping there for junk food, toiletries, batteries etc than will admit it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: ^^^^ agreed that I reckon there's more profit in the solo food halls.

The clothes can often be pretty good quality. I got the tie for my wedding suit there lately

They are but that just means I buy like, my undershirts and the occasional gift from there, and because they're good quality I also haven't bought any clothes from there for about a decade because I still have the old ones :v:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Arquinsiel posted:

The price difference between Ireland and the UK is wild for M&S food. Here in central London it's a little more expensive for what you get, but for the bits we bother with that cost is worth it. We regularly get the two pizzas and two sides for £12 deal because the dirty fries make it a solid meal, but the dirty fries alone cost like €5.80 last I looked at home. Being in competition with Waitrose is fine. Being head and shoulders more expensive than every other supermarket is not as sustainable.

Dealz is probably doing fine TBH. More people are shopping there for junk food, toiletries, batteries etc than will admit it.

The Dealz near me expanded during the pandemic. They are always very busy. Probably helps that there's no Penny's in town so Dealz are the only place for cheap clothes. The only option here for clothes are Tesco and Dealz, Tesco is more expensive but the quality is the same. Which can be hit or miss. Got some clothes lasted for years and some start coming apart after couple washes.

They're always good for little bits and pieces too. things for arts and crafts, notebooks, etc. Handy for gardening supplies too in the summer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pookah posted:

They are people functionally incapable of interacting with the actual world. Which is extremely weird, given that so many of them have hard-won qualifications that require an ability to interact with the modern world.
It's like they all learned to fake normality until they got qualified, then reverted to absolute loving insanity afterwards.
Most of the younger adult Burkes have impressive academic qualifications, but they are all functionally insane. Insane in the sense that their version of reality is profoundly at odds with the generally accepted version.

How long have they been doing this for? Wondering if it's really a family-wide case of passing the event horizon from a lockdown pressure cooker.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The Dealz near me went from 90% food and stuff (kitchen items, toys, crafts, etc) to 90% clothing.
And lost a poo poo load of traffic, surprised its open now still.

I miss being able to go in and get 3 cans for 1 euro 50 cent, and a horribly cheap sandwich for 3 euros.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
They energy drinks selection and price is unmatched. They're the only place I've seen that stock the Ginger Ale Monsters.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Dealz crisp section had Bacon (and Scampi Fries) go from €1.50 to €2 to €2.50. Sign of the times. And I saw the same six pack of bacon fries for over three quid in Supervalu.

That being said, Dealz isn't a little secret any more. Anyone I've been talking to has been on about them for years. Some for just the one year, others for three years, other for six years plus. No wonder they're pivoting towards clothes. Far bigger mark up.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Plus the dealz multipacks used to be 6 bags for 1.50, now they are all 5 or 4 packs for 2.50
Going the way of Iceland in the 2000s, where a 2l bottle of coke was, like, 3 euro, when it was 1.50 everywhere else.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How long have they been doing this for? Wondering if it's really a family-wide case of passing the event horizon from a lockdown pressure cooker.
Since at least 2008, according to their wikipedia article.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Might then just be how you'd be surprised how polite and well-behaved people can be right up until they think they have power over you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
WTF https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...a289268428.html

The Irish Times posted an article yesterday which seemed aimed at getting rage clicks. The author was some blue-haired, "Latinx", stereotypical woke lefty lady whose article stated that Irish women using fake tan was cultural appropriation.

It's been pulled now because people noticed the tell tale signs that the ladies bio photo was AI generated. And that the author didn't seem to exist.

It's scarily dystopian to think that major media is trying to use AI to create strawmen for their clickbait.