Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

he’s so stupid the only reason tesla exists is because of the worsening climate crisis lol literally talking himself out of a job like the moron he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

he’s so stupid the only reason tesla exists is because of the worsening climate crisis lol literally talking himself out of a job like the moron he is
You won't care

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Trying to win both 'global warming is fake' and 'global warming is real' sides and just failing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
One might be tempted to think that he is making a point about the "if global warming then why so cold today" argument, but he absolutely has not put that much thought into it.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

oh good so we can stop subsidizing his stupid car company. No need to funnel money to it since we don’t need an immediate solution like EVs

EVs are not a solution

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

EVs are not a solution

there basically is no reasonably possible solution at this point lol we all gonna die

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Good Citizen posted:

there basically is no reasonably possible solution at this point lol we all gonna die

I wish

The elons will just sit in domes with a lifetime of provisions and play immortan joe until they get overthrown by the head of security

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Egg Moron posted:

I wish

The elons will just sit in domes with a lifetime of provisions and play immortan joe until they get overthrown by the head of security

Uh huh. And what quality do you think those domes are gonna have?

Those folks probably will die first when their dome collapse within 15 days of living there and nobody is going to bother salvage for provisions since the rats already got in it in the second day

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Egg Moron posted:

I wish

poo poo will go well when a security team for a billionaire in their mansion vault is asked to put on bomb collars for compliance.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

here's a real question for the people in this thread: do you think musk is at all sincere in his lofty stated ambitions? like, the stuff about wanting to solve global warming and make humanity a multi-planet species and bring about the future from comic books and all that.

I don't know, I guess at some level I think that he genuinely is the kind of sci-fi nerd tech-fetishist that so many of his fans are and that he genuinely believes that, long-term, he's saving the world, even if there are hiccups along the way.

absolutely yes. musk on some level understands that he has immense undeserved wealth and privilege

but it's all for the greater good, he's saving the planet. he has to believe this to keep the self loathing away

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The rich being destroyed by their own hubris is not helpful on the current timeline. Amusing but not helpful unless it is moved forward.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

"potential"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Bar Crow posted:

The rich being destroyed by their own hubris is not helpful on the current timeline. Amusing but not helpful unless it is moved forward.
X, the everything app has advanced the timeline of the rich being destroyed by their own hubis by 5-7 years

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Good Citizen posted:

You will certainly

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

withak posted:

One might be tempted to think that he is making a point about the "if global warming then why so cold today" argument, but he absolutely has not put that much thought into it.

this is a dude who genuinely believes he's one of the smartest people on the planet (privately, in his heart he probably thinks he's the smartest) and whose enormous personal wealth is deeply invested in public fears about climate change, and I doubt he's absorbed even a tiny fraction of the scientific literature on the subject.

"I get it, but a couple degrees temperature change isn't that big a deal, plus I'm sure [future super-science technology I read a 3 paragraph blurb about in popular science ten years ago] will fix it anyway" --thats the kinda rationalization you expect from joe schmoe on the street, this should be one of the things he actually knows something about, if for marketing reasons more than anything else!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the couple degrees is always in Celsius which is bad messagening to Americans imho

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He's going to destroy his Tesla biz just so he can appease Mike Cernovich and catturd2

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

yes in the sense i think he genuinely believes that when he says it but I don't think there's anything resembling a long term strategy or plan so much as just blurting whatever pops into his head at a given time and he's a big doofus.

basically i think he is like a lot of dumb guys that think they are smart in that he thinks he's the first one that ever thought of something. i think i said earlier in this thread that to me he is the apex of the "idea guy" from many mmo/game forums that doesn't really have a skill (even his paypal code was legendarily lovely) but just wants to sit around and think up great ideas. like in an mmo it'd be like "pfft why don't you just take the skill system of star wars galaxies and the pvp system of ultima online but have a fully destructible world bing bong so simple, the only reason devs don't do it is they're lazy".

well if you have even a modicum of knowledge of software development, game development, game knowledge, etc., you'd know it's not "devs are lazy" so much as "the skill system of star wars galaxies" and "the pvp system of ultima online" and "a fully destructible world" are all incredibly complex problems *on their own* to say nothing of MMOs on their own being incredibly complex, so mashing all four of those things together is building something exponentially complex if it could even theoretically be done. and then, of course, you have the biggest questions: would you be making something people would even want to play? would it sell? would it be any good?

but the thing is: to an idea guy, it is not the "doing of the thing" that is hard because they have no idea how to do it and they don't really care. to them it is "merely" doing the work so they don't value it at all. To them the hard part is "coming up with the great idea". like ANYONE can write game code, PFFT, but *I alone* have the secret of success in my Great Idea.

in games idea guys are always crushed/pissed when they run into actual game developers who tell them "um yeah literally all of us have hundreds of great ideas for things we'd like to do, have you ever actually, like, made a game? because it's pretty hard. you should probably do that." the number of "idea guys" that actually have jobs as "idea guys", you could probably count on your hands, and usually they have shipped enough titles that they can kind of coast on their cool ideas (because they actually have cool ideas that actually do make good games that actually do sell, these are all important).

ol' musky is a little bit different in that he has a shitload of money so he can buy his way into companies. as we've heard about in this thread, at many of those he's had entire teams of people dedicated to showing him shiny things and massaging his ego and keeping him away from the people who actually do work and telling him "of course sir brilliant idea sir" and he gets to actually BE the idea guy and boss the engineers around but, like, he's always bought his way into reasonably competent places that can take the blow of having a doofus in charge to generate publicity and drive sales while the engineers actually build the product. like yeah, he makes stupid decisions at tesla and the fart app is dumb as poo poo, but he does sell cars. i mean that has literally been the largely successful legal strategy in several Tesla-related trials. "yeah he's full of poo poo, but everyone knows it, and the guy sells lots of cars."

the problem is at twitter, that ablative layer of "keep ol' musky from touching the important poo poo" people wasn't in place so he's actually loving with stuff that matters and twitter isn't a hype and sales and government contract driven company. twitter is a content and user driven company. twitter is driven by the twitter-brained weirdos that love tweeting, so you need to keep them engaged, and a lot of them were the very libs and the lib media class he set out to antagonize from the beginning because he bought the line it was government censorship keeping conservatives down in the town square and once he freed the speech everyone would back him because america.

anyway his fans do relate to him because he is literally a I loving Love Science guy like them. does he *actually have* a plan to make mars remotely livable? lmao, no, of course not. nasa has vague plans to build a base on the moon and there are some ideas but it is extremely hard if you know a thing about it. but if you don't know anything at all, it seems easy. "i would simply build a big rocket out of, i dunno, stainless steel or something, then i'd fly some people to mars, build a base, bing bong the light of consciousness is extended, so simple."

I'm not really clear on what you're getting at here. Could you expand on this a little bit?

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

I'm not really clear on what you're getting at here. Could you expand on this a little bit?

Elon musk is really dumb but we have to deal with it because dumber people gave him 200 billion dollars.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

EVs are not a solution

Of course they aren’t but that’s what Musk advertises Tesla as and why succlib media and the government held him up as real life Tony Stark saving humanity: a capitalist who will use capitalism to solve the climate crisis caused by capitalism without any changes to our economic system and how we use resources. It’s the facade of why we need to funnel money into his garbage car company and he’s out here claiming his entire foundation of his grift actually isn’t real so he can get brownie points with Nazis on Twitter :lol:

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Niwrad posted:

He's going to destroy his Tesla biz just so he can appease Mike Cernovich and catturd2

counterpoint: number go up

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
musk is only justifying what he was already going to do with effective altruism

I'm doing nothing with my life because of the pending climate and economic collapses, ha ha weird why did I type that?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1654580643362111488?t=8dd4Zow2Ikt55hsCvRZFzw&s=19

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bullying works.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

RIP

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you won't care

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Niwrad posted:

I don’t know if he even can. My experience with Tesla owners and people considering buying one is that they’ll totally ignore everything he says or does, because that would make their expensive purchase stupid, and people will believe anything as long as it’s not them making a mistake.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Trending towards break-even

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Jazerus posted:

you won't care

I hope that’s the last thing he tweets.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

yes […] he […] is […] a […] legendar[y] poo poo[…]-brained weirdo […]

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

nikosoft posted:

In Econ and from Wharton

This qualifies him to launch rockets and design cars, of course

also I believe it's honorary.

seriously.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1654580420053270529?t=zH-xW4Kg_FOZ1BfEXWfVhQ&s=19

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

maybe it's net revenue so it's gonna be 842 years before they break even and the program kicks in

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Twitter finally acknowledged the Circle leaks

https://twitter.com/videah_/status/1654590843234205699?t=v7m01Z3XlejUQ1S_lDi_2w&s=19

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/jenntakahashi/status/1654594213030526976

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

NeonPunk posted:

Uh huh. And what quality do you think those domes are gonna have?

Those folks probably will die first when their dome collapse within 15 days of living there and nobody is going to bother salvage for provisions since the rats already got in it in the second day

Steve Bannon tried to do a hermetically sealed environment and it fell apart immediately because, among other reasons, no one involved knew about concrete curing

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
bannon just came in at the end to sell it for goldman sachs or whoever, he didn’t have anything to do with setting it up. that was an entirely different group of weirdos

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
If Musk isn’t really an effective altruist (a la SBF) he plays one very well, IIRC one of the big drivers of his Tesla compensation is that he needs enough money to fund space travel for the good of humanity for it to be worthwhile for him

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hoshi posted:

If Musk isn’t really an effective altruist (a la SBF) he plays one very well, IIRC one of the big drivers of his Tesla compensation is that he needs enough money to fund space travel for the good of humanity for it to be worthwhile for him

Sounds epic. Elon ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

elon really whips the llama’s rear end