Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"immersive sim" is a widely recognized genre at this point and Prey is definitely in it so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah it reads better than Deusexlike for, uh, a variety of reasons

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

haveblue posted:

"immersive sim" is a widely recognized genre at this point and Prey is definitely in it so yeah

Since when?

I mean that literally, not to mean "I don't believe you"; I'm just not familiar with the term. I googled it when I read your post and found people talking about it and using it to describe Ultima Underworld, System Shock and Oblivion. Is it just what Warren Spector called his games and now it's getting applied to other stuff?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Since when?

I mean that literally, not to mean "I don't believe you"; I'm just not familiar with the term. I googled it when I read your post and found people talking about it and using it to describe Ultima Underworld, System Shock and Oblivion. Is it just what Warren Spector called his games and now it's getting applied to other stuff?

It's been a (relatively) well-known term for years. Nobody really likes it, but it's relatively a good descriptor for certain design philosophies.

2016:
https://www.polygon.com/2016/8/18/12539476/what-makes-an-immersive-sim-and-why-are-they-staging-a-comeback

2017:
https://www.pcgamer.com/history-of-the-best-immersive-sims/

2011:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3091455&pagenumber=304&perpage=40&highlight=immersive+sim#post391142065 (the oldest SA post available with search)

2007:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/bloody-mess

Kennel has a new favorite as of 19:33 on May 5, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah we realized there wasn't a good term for games that give you wide exploratory freedom and also a large toolbox to gently caress with enemies, so they invented one and then retroactively applied it to older games that fit that mold

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Maybe it's just because I first started hearing that word used to describe Dishonored and Dishonored 2, but Immersive Sim always came off like people were trying to come up with a new label for stealth games to me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I must've heard the term before, but apparently not in any way that stuck with me. I can definitely see the meaning is going for, it's just that "sim" has immediate connotations of things like world or city builders. I think of most of those games as shooters/action games first, so I'd naturally add the "immersive" part on top of that.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

IMO, it's not a great genre name, but I've heard worse. Some people keep trying to push "0451 games", which is loving terrible.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

King of Solomon posted:

Maybe it's just because I first started hearing that word used to describe Dishonored and Dishonored 2, but Immersive Sim always came off like people were trying to come up with a new label for stealth games to me.

I'd say that they often have stealth as an option, definitely, as a side-effect of trying to make a believable world. Because it'd be hard to believe that there was only ever one pathway to a place, and that every single pathway was guarded or at least equally guarded, and as part of motivating you to try not just going in guns blazing everywhere, you tend not to be as durable as Doomguy, so you're also incentivized to stealth it up a bit.

But in, say, Deus Ex, with the right build, you can absolutely do some action hero poo poo, and the same goes for later-game Prey, and Dishonoured 1 and 2, and System Shock 1 and 2... most of them, really.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd say that they often have stealth as an option, definitely, as a side-effect of trying to make a believable world. Because it'd be hard to believe that there was only ever one pathway to a place, and that every single pathway was guarded or at least equally guarded, and as part of motivating you to try not just going in guns blazing everywhere, you tend not to be as durable as Doomguy, so you're also incentivized to stealth it up a bit.

But in, say, Deus Ex, with the right build, you can absolutely do some action hero poo poo, and the same goes for later-game Prey, and Dishonoured 1 and 2, and System Shock 1 and 2... most of them, really.

Yeah, admittedly a lot of this comes down to me not being very familiar with any specific game in the genre, I just understood the Dishonoreds to be stealth games first and foremost, and then suddenly people were calling them something else. If there's more to it than that, then cool, a different genre name makes sense, though I'm not sure I'd put Oblivion in that category.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Veotax posted:

IMO, it's not a great genre name, but I've heard worse. Some people keep trying to push "0451 games", which is loving terrible.

lol that's really bad

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It's a mildly funny reference/inside joke but an incredibly bad genre name, yeah

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It comes from how they traditionally use 0451 as the first keypad code in the game

It's not the code in Deathloop, but if you try it, the game gives you an achievement called basically "yeah nice try"

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

And he's climbing the stairway...to heaven.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

haveblue posted:

Yeah we realized there wasn't a good term for games that give you wide exploratory freedom and also a large toolbox to gently caress with enemies, so they invented one and then retroactively applied it to older games that fit that mold

wait i thought that was sandboxes?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

wait i thought that was sandboxes?

Sandboxes are goal-less, or at the very least very undirected. loving around in the sandbox is expected to be the majority of the game, and you're mostly doing it for its own sake or in service of some very long-term objective. An imsim will present you with more concrete goals like "there's a guy on the other side of this broken door that you need to talk to", which motivate the moment-to-moment gameplay of messing with enemy AI, using your tools to open, break, or bypass barriers, or just shooting things.

PurpleXVI posted:

Incidentally, I once played the first Deus Ex game with a rule that I had to drop everything I was carrying before loading into a new map. It's totally doable, though you need to make your peace with the fact that most of the time your only weapon will be the assault rifle. Turns out that with enough levels in the relevant skill, that weapon becomes ridiculously good.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Good luck chainsawing god, doctor. :patriot:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The other name I've seen for that kind of game is "systems game" with the idea being that the game is designed around building coherent systems for action and behaviour that apply throughout the game, and then letting you loose to figure out how to work the systems to achieve your objective, instead of achieving objectives by just doing the way the designers programmed in for you to do it. I don't think that's any better of a name though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

vyelkin posted:

"systems game"

That should be what we call zachtronics games

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Thieflikes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Thieftem shocknoreds

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I still sometimes say Doomclones but I think it's a reference nobody ever gets. I mean, you guys get it. But like real people.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

credburn posted:

I still sometimes say Doomclones but I think it's a reference nobody ever gets. I mean, you guys get it. But like real people.

I genuinely dislike the term "Boomershooters" that's grown popular to call 'em instead. But there's not much I can do to change people's minds on that one.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nuebot posted:

I genuinely dislike the term "Boomershooters" that's grown popular to call 'em instead. But there's not much I can do to change people's minds on that one.

ok boomer.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The problem with "immersive sim" as a genre is that a lot of people are using it as a "prestige" thing. Sure the Action-RPG sub genre from the System Shock/ Deus Ex linage could probably use a name , but a lot of people are using it for a wide set of game genres with the qualifier being games they like and "respect". Thief and Splinter Cell(especially Chaos Theory) are just normal stealth games but they keep getting labelled Immersive Sim, likewise Skyrim(Morrowind might get it though) and a lot of ca 2000's FPSs are much closer to the design ethos of System Shock and Deus Ex but don't get that label, because they suck/ aren't regarded as highly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hel posted:

The problem with "immersive sim" as a genre is that a lot of people are using it as a "prestige" thing. Sure the Action-RPG sub genre from the System Shock/ Deus Ex linage could probably use a name , but a lot of people are using it for a wide set of game genres with the qualifier being games they like and "respect". Thief and Splinter Cell(especially Chaos Theory) are just normal stealth games but they keep getting labelled Immersive Sim, likewise Skyrim(Morrowind might get it though) and a lot of ca 2000's FPSs are much closer to the design ethos of System Shock and Deus Ex but don't get that label, because they suck/ aren't regarded as highly.

They're all action rpgs but people are precious about a couple of them

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

they're all adventure games because you have an adventure in them

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hel posted:

You could also pretty comfortably call Cyberpunk 2077 an imsim (there are systems that interact in unexpected ways, you're encouraged to solve problems in various ways including sneaking, it's possible to play nonlethally, there's hacking, etc).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Doc Hawkins posted:

they're all adventure games because you have an adventure in them

Unironically I believe that immersive sims are the inheritors to adventure games. You're still solving puzzles, but because we've been liberated from pre-scripted adventure game insanity by actually having engines that can simulate small sections of worlds, you're able to solve these adventures in logical ways and often with a multiple of different solutions.

Hel posted:

I wouldn't really called Thief an "immersive sim" because of how limited your interactions are. You can stab, you can sneak, you can shoot bow, and enemies are pretty limited to reacting to just sound and sight. You can't distract them with things they like or really interact with the world much.

In the same way, Skyrim and Morrowind really only have violence(and sometimes stealth as a precursor to violence) as a main mechanic. You can do a lot of crafting outside of the dungeoning, and a rare few pre-scripted quests have non-stabby solutions to things, but once again there aren't actually any particularly deep systems or systems that come together to make a real-feeling world. You'd need something like the rumours of Oblivion's original "radiant AI"(I don't really believe those stories were ever true, but they were funny and sometimes interesting) where NPC's were motivated by base desires that often got them wildly off track and hosed up the world massively, to get an immersive sim out of a Bethesda game.

Some of the later Hitman games you could start considering immersive sims simply because of all the detailed little objects you got to gently caress with and how many ways you could accomplish most of your objectives, all the different types of violence and stealth you could employ. Simply staying unseen, disguises, distractions, shooting people, environmental kills, trap kills, setups that effectively got people to kill themselves, etc.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The latest Hitman games are getting there, and 3's Chongqing level feels like it's very deliberately evoking Deus Ex. I don't think I'd confidently call it an imsim though

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Philippe posted:

You could also pretty comfortably call Cyberpunk 2077 an imsim (there are systems that interact in unexpected ways, you're encouraged to solve problems in various ways including sneaking, it's possible to play nonlethally, there's hacking, etc).

That's my point, the term has become so wide as to be meaningless for describing anything other than prestige or perceived quality because that basically describes Skyrim, which obviously can't be an immsim because it's dumbed down for babies, especially compared to Far Cry 2 which is obviously an immsim since it has weapon degradation and fire propagation. But also despite having hacking, multiple routes, sneaking , gadgets and social areas, Sin is obviously just a lovely FPS and not a true immsim, Splinter Cell is though because it reduced the options to just sneaking.

It has basically become a term for "action-Rpg I like because I'm a person of good taste".

PurpleXVI posted:

I wouldn't really called Thief an "immersive sim" because of how limited your interactions are. You can stab, you can sneak, you can shoot bow, and enemies are pretty limited to reacting to just sound and sight. You can't distract them with things they like or really interact with the world much.

I agree, Thief is a stealth game, and not a ImmSim in the "Like Deus Ex" meaning, but it keeps getting stuck with the label because it was made by Looking Glass and is a cult classic.
The point is that the label of ImmSim has become meaningless because people keep trying to jam all their favourites into it because of prestige reasons.

But I also disagree that just having more options is what makes an immsim, because that really just a matter of fidelity, budget and effort, not a genre definition. Hitman is a great example, The difference between Hitman 1-3 2016-2021 and Hitman 1-3 2000-2004 is basically just a matter of more, not one of change. It was always(in the good levels at least) about walking around to take in the area, figure out what levers could be pushed, and setting things in motion. The later ones just hade more sand in the sandbox( IMO do it's detriment).

PurpleXVI posted:

Unironically I believe that immersive sims are the inheritors to adventure games. You're still solving puzzles, but because we've been liberated from pre-scripted adventure game insanity by actually having engines that can simulate small sections of worlds, you're able to solve these adventures in logical ways and often with a multiple of different solutions.
You are missing the real reason why they are the successors to adventure games, because they let your be a massive rear end in a top hat for no reason, though I admit I've yet to see an immsim let me fry the skin of a mans back to steal a map like Guybrush Threepwood.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Hel posted:

But I also disagree that just having more options is what makes an immsim, because that really just a matter of fidelity, budget and effort, not a genre definition. Hitman is a great example, The difference between Hitman 1-3 2016-2021 and Hitman 1-3 2000-2004 is basically just a matter of more, not one of change. It was always(in the good levels at least) about walking around to take in the area, figure out what levers could be pushed, and setting things in motion. The later ones just hade more sand in the sandbox( IMO do it's detriment).

I think that a lot of options does not by itself an immersive sim make, but also that you cannot have an immersive sim without a lot of options, because immersive sims to me are defined by having believable worlds (in a mechanical sense), which tends to mean a lot of interacting systems, which inherently give you a lot of levers to pull. If your only lever is "gun" or "sneak" or "fireball," then I'd have a hard time seeing the imsim in it. Like the ideal of an imsim would be a 100% simulated real-ish world, and let's say you have to get to work in the morning in the real world, your options:

Walk
Steal a bike and ride
Drive your car
Take a taxi
Take the bus
Hijack a car and make someone else drive you there
Decide to call in sick instead
Walk outside, lever up a manhole cover, and hide in the sewers for a week

The more "real" and "immersive" the videogame world, the more options you're always going to have.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

PurpleXVI posted:

I think that a lot of options does not by itself an immersive sim make, but also that you cannot have an immersive sim without a lot of options, because immersive sims to me are defined by having believable worlds (in a mechanical sense), which tends to mean a lot of interacting systems, which inherently give you a lot of levers to pull. If your only lever is "gun" or "sneak" or "fireball," then I'd have a hard time seeing the imsim in it. Like the ideal of an imsim would be a 100% simulated real-ish world, and let's say you have to get to work in the morning in the real world, your options:

Walk
Steal a bike and ride
Drive your car
Take a taxi
Take the bus
Hijack a car and make someone else drive you there
Decide to call in sick instead
Walk outside, lever up a manhole cover, and hide in the sewers for a week

The more "real" and "immersive" the videogame world, the more options you're always going to have.

See this is for me really a fidelity thing, Because your options IMO amount to
Walk
Drive Vehicle(Stolen or Owned)
Get a driver(Legal or Illegal)
Ignore / Decline Quest
With the separate options being flavour/fidelity differences rather than significant genre ones. So having 4 choices, or 4 choices but with 12 variations doesn't really feel like enough to change the genre for me.

Like sure Hitman now has 300 different environmental kills, but they are still just environmental kills with different variations. Mechanically they are the same as having one( or well 4 for the different hidden/ noisy variants)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wish a suffragist would start punching each of you in the head

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

streets of rogue is fun as heck

PurpleXVI posted:

i remember they used to call this ideal a "gestalt game", meaning total, or all-encompassing

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i wish a suffragist would start punching each of you in the head

It's not a true imsim unless this can happen.

Doc Hawkins posted:

streets of rogue is fun as heck

And also an imsim and I love it, ask me about my 115 hours of game time.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
For me, the key traits to an immsim (I like that term better than the full 'immersive sim' but it still ain't great) are:
-Multiple approaches to a given problem are viable. The common trifecta is stealth, combat, or social, with hacking or magical methods that don't neatly fall in those three occasionally filling one or cropping up in a fourth slot.
-A character-building system that rewards both focus on one style or generalist builds.
-Free-roaming areas large enough to accommodate multiple routes to an objective, in keeping with the multiple approaches.

Skyrim fails on all three fronts 95% of the time, because it usually sends you into a linear dungeon where your primary goal (Or the thing preventing you from accomplishing a goal) is to stab something in the face, and generalist builds will rapidly fall behind a dedicated stealth archer (while you were leveling crafting, the draugr were training). It's an action RPG.

Hitman fails because it has no character building, 47 is equally skilled with a sniper rifle, a nailgun, or a can of pasta sauce. It's an action puzzle game.

Farcry 2+ fails because regardless of whether or not you stealth, the solution to a problem is nearly always to kill every motherfucker in the place. It's an FPS.

The Dishonored universe only just fails point 1. It has everything else, but your only options are to kill someone or sneak past them and everything is in service to that. They're stealth action games up until Deathloop, which is an action stealth game.

But as I was typing all that out and revising and looking things up to make sure I had my story straight, I realized I don't care what it's called. We live in the era of tags, we don't need to just slap one word or a short, punchy phrase on the box to let people know what they're getting. You can call it an immersive sim or an action RPG or a stealth dating visual novel, I'm gonna look at the user tags and see #eldritch horror #heartwarming #assassination and go "Huh, looks neat."

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Since when?

Redfall is an immersive sim. Don't believe me? It's all in the people.
Redfall's Creative director

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
i think an immersive sim is when your sim goes swimming and you take the ladder out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Can we have a name for climbing glue blobs and turning into a mug to roll into tight spots to access new areas? That was so much fun