Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

more adapters please

Having your entire body weight and shocks from bumps going through those four 6mm screws in single shear seems suboptimal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

more adapters please

Where does one get one of these

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The giant machined dropout tabs are straight from the manufactorer and come with the frame:

https://velo-orange.com/collections/neutrino-mini-velo/products/neutrino-minivelo

The flatmount to post adaptor is their first party adapter designed for the frame.

It'll be fiiiiiine
everything's fine

edit: I should mention the bolts don't receive the force; it looks like a flat piece of aluminum but its actually an L shape that fits snugly and fully fills the space inside the chainstay. The bolts prevent it from popping out, but if you removed the bolts you could still jump up and down on it as long as there was no side-to-side force.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 6, 2023

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Pretty easy to stick a slightly shorter stem on and see if that feels better.
Hit your local bike coop, buy a 90mm stem, slap it on there and see.

Requisite skills: using a torque wrench, setting the pre-load on the headset bearings. Both pretty chill.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

did any of the wolverine frames (or similar) have iso disc brake mounts? then you could do: sliding dropouts -> post mount adapter -> flat mount adapter -> brake

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Having said that I'm glad people noticed that it looks sketchy as hell because thats why I posted it lol

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I love that someone bothered to make a crazy zig-zag FM->PM adapter that might fit or might not depending on the frame.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

The giant machined dropout tabs are straight from the manufactorer and come with the frame:

https://velo-orange.com/collections/neutrino-mini-velo/products/neutrino-minivelo

The flatmount to post adaptor is their first party adapter designed for the frame.

It'll be fiiiiiine
everything's fine

edit: I should mention the bolts don't receive the force; it looks like a flat piece of aluminum but its actually an L shape that fits snugly and fully fills the space inside the chainstay. The bolts prevent it from popping out, but if you removed the bolts you could still jump up and down on it as long as there was no side-to-side force.

That makes more sense! It would still make me nervous but at least it's not outright dangerous, probably

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
i have a poc axion spin helmet and i noticed this year its unbearably uncomfortable i also paid double the price that you can get it for today or more. so i bought a $60 smith signal helmet from amazon and i was kinda shocked how comfortable it is, would recommend smith.

smith, most comfortable bicycle helmet i put on so far..

i hate poc now needless to say i'll never pay a lot for a helmet again..online i bought it from their website like a FOOL for like $150 a few years ago i don't think pads in it can fix because the part that sucks about it is the two temple side pieces that seem to dig in

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 6, 2023

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Older products get discounted over time? Well I’ll be.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
but it was never good, being the correct size its just a bad design imo it just took me to long to notice :frogdunce:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Helmet brands vary by their aspect ratio range. I find POC to be very narrow and have the same temple squeezing. Smith and Kask are pretty round brands, for future reference.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Much like different saddles fit different people differently the same can be said for helmets. Because of individual difference in body shapes and whatnot personal recommendations should always be taken with a grain of salt. For me, I can't wear giro helmets because they're terribly uncomfortable, but specialized and kask feel wonderful. I wouldn't run around calling giro bad helmets though. They're just bad helmets for me.

In that same vein I bought a kask mojito and infinite right around the same time and I'd say the price premium on the infinite was totally worth it. However when I crushed my mojito with my car seat I was certainly a lot happier that it happened to my cheap helmet.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Back in the saddle boys!! Been biking to work (11 km one way) for the past month and I feel great, but my bike doesn't :(

The 9-speed deraileur is hosed after i took the back wheel off, it was stuck between 2-9 and wont shift into low gear anymore - I tried watching repair videos but that made me gently caress it up even more, currently between 3-9 gear (oh god the lactic acid)

I'm kind of getting used to it tbh, but it'd be nice to be able to sit down and bike up a steep hill y'know.

Any advice/good resources for home repair? Don't wanna leave her at the shop and have to wait for a week. :(

edit: the more bike pix the better i say. here's the beautiful french 90s 26" rigid-rear end steel beater commuter in question

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 6, 2023

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Turmoilx posted:

but it was never good, being the correct size its just a bad design imo it just took me to long to notice :frogdunce:

This may blow your mind, but POC fits me better than Smith.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

AEMINAL posted:

Back in the saddle boys!! Been biking to work (11 km one way) for the past month and I feel great, but my bike doesn't :(

The 9-speed deraileur is hosed after i took the back wheel off, it was stuck between 2-9 and wont shift into low gear anymore - I tried watching repair videos but that made me gently caress it up even more, currently between 3-9 gear (oh god the lactic acid)

I'm kind of getting used to it tbh, but it'd be nice to be able to sit down and bike up a steep hill y'know.

Any advice/good resources for home repair? Don't wanna leave her at the shop and have to wait for a week. :(

edit: the more bike pix the better i say. here's the beautiful french 90s 26" rigid-rear end steel beater commuter in question

Pictures of the rear mech and the bike would be useful, as well as a description of what you tried that made it work less well - there's a number of potential causes, from "limit screw issue" (very quick fix, free) to "bent rear hanger" (less quick fix, not free), as well as things in between

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Pictures of the rear mech and the bike would be useful, as well as a description of what you tried that made it work less well - there's a number of potential causes, from "limit screw issue" (very quick fix, free) to "bent rear hanger" (less quick fix, not free), as well as things in between

Pretty sure it's from me slackening the shift cable and going hog wild on the H and L screws like a dum dum :(

Here's an imgur album w/ pics of the cassette and derailleur https://imgur.com/a/hlcuugS

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

It's as if the bottom springy bit wont extend out far enough to be able to catch the bigger low gear cogs on the cassette

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

AEMINAL posted:

Pretty sure it's from me slackening the shift cable and going hog wild on the H and L screws like a dum dum :(

Here's an imgur album w/ pics of the cassette and derailleur https://imgur.com/a/hlcuugS

1) make sure wheel is properly seated in the dropouts. With the wheel on the ground, loosen the quick release, tap firmly on the saddle to make sure the frame is pushed down all the way square. Re-tighten the QR.

2) put the bike in the stand, or hang the saddle over a railing to hold the rear wheel up. shift to the hardest gear. Loosen the cable at the read derailleur.

3) Adjust the high limit screw so that the derailleur will drop in to the hardest gear, but not overshoot it. Test this by moving the derailleur with your hand - you don't need to re-tighten the cable yet.

4) once the high limit screw is set properly, tighten the cable back down.

5) shift up one gear. If it doesn't go smoothly, use the barrel adjuster to add or remove a bit of tension until it makes one step smoothly.

6) shift all the way to the easiest gear. Adjust the low limit screw so that you can get into it, but not shift past it.

7) shift back down the cassette, making sure it shifts smoothly into each cog. If you can't get the tension to work at both ends of the cassette, your derailleur hanger is probably bent.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Not enough B screw?

Post vid.

Edit: also deffo do steps 1-9 your rear mech needs to be completely set up again from scratch. Before step 1 fix your barrel adjuster. It's so far out it's probably barely threaded in at this point. Disconnect the cable screw that thing all the way back in and start from step 1.

Given how grubby the bike is your rear mech could use a wash degrease and light lube and I'm betting your shift cable as well as the housing is trashed and needs to be replaced. Your closest bike shop should sell it by the foot so you could just take it off bring it to the shop and go 'I need this much shift housing and a new shift cable'.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 6, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah your derailleur ought to naturally fall down to the lowest gear by default. If it's not it's one of three things

1. Your limit screw is in way too far
2. Your derailleur hanger and/or derailleur is bent (dropped the bike or something/someone fell on it
3. Your pull cable is hosed up somehow

Derailleur hangers are sometimes hard to source especially for older bikes. Bending it back almost never works very well

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

one person that sounded ready to buy my bike eventually said that he saw it as a stolen one.. lol kinda funny because i thought it was too but checked before and it's not. still one other person interested in it though :toot:

my goal is not this bike because its limited tire width

amazon bib shorts arrived, cycling with an rear end is a different world (and posting/s). as for the helmets .. i think its crazy peoples heads are different shapes i really didn't consider that helmets had different shapes.

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 6, 2023

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I like my poc ventral a lot. And it goes well with their giant sunglasses.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Yeah personally never had an issue with my POC and I managed to do a 1200k with one on without pain or stress about my head.

I do find my Giro much more comfortable though but the POC was good.

(helmets are really dependent on head shape and fit)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I got my bike back today! Yay!

They trued up the rear wheel, and the bend in the derailleur hanger was very slight, so it was easily fixable. They told me that it was actually shifting fine even before they did that, so I guess I was able to dial it in pretty good after that picture I posted. I rode it around a little and, yeah, it's in good shape.

So, my son has Special Olympics tomorrow, but it's at a place that's right off the bike trail, so let's look at the forecast... oh, cats and dogs? Yeah, probably not going to get a ride in. I doubt the event will even take place.

This does have me wanting a quick-release mount for my Wahoo so I can transfer it to my other bikes when I am not on the road bike.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

tarlibone posted:

I got my bike back today! Yay!

They trued up the rear wheel, and the bend in the derailleur hanger was very slight, so it was easily fixable. They told me that it was actually shifting fine even before they did that, so I guess I was able to dial it in pretty good after that picture I posted. I rode it around a little and, yeah, it's in good shape.

So, my son has Special Olympics tomorrow, but it's at a place that's right off the bike trail, so let's look at the forecast... oh, cats and dogs? Yeah, probably not going to get a ride in. I doubt the event will even take place.

This does have me wanting a quick-release mount for my Wahoo so I can transfer it to my other bikes when I am not on the road bike.

Aren't all the wahoo mounts quick release?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Not really. Mine is in the handlebar and requires a hex key to remove or install. I'd like an option that doesn't require any tools.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Just get another mount for your other bike from aliexpress for 10 bucks

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Are you talking bike to mount or mount to unit? Mount to unit should be quick release (twist and pull), bike to mount you'd get one per bike.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Are you talking about the mount? What most people do is have separate mounts for each of your bikes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

Are you talking about the mount? What most people do is have separate mounts for each of your bikes.

Yes, I should have been more clear. I mean bike-to-mount.

I'll shop for some extras.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I like the K-Edge mount I got on my primary bike. You can put a GoPro style mount underneath the computer for compatible cameras or lights, and the metal construction means no vibration or bounce.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A lot of stems also offer some sort of computer mount that attaches to the face plate. I meant to get the zipp one for my stem but it was never actually available so I found some cheap deal on eBay that just uses longer bolts and spacers. And then also have a couple of trek stems with their blendr deal, and a k-edge that goes on the steerer as a spacer, and a regular k-edge kicking around somewhere that i couldn't use with my new road handlebars.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 7, 2023

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

tarlibone posted:

Not really. Mine is in the handlebar and requires a hex key to remove or install. I'd like an option that doesn't require any tools.

Another mount costs $15. Put one on each bike, it ain't worth the faff moving the mount.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

After my first real deal holy poo poo I might actually get hit by this car event in over a decade of riding on the road I'm starting to think about cameras. Any suggestions for a bike/dash cam that'll run for at least 4 hours without having to connect a separate battery?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

charliebravo77 posted:

After my first real deal holy poo poo I might actually get hit by this car event in over a decade of riding on the road I'm starting to think about cameras. Any suggestions for a bike/dash cam that'll run for at least 4 hours without having to connect a separate battery?

I'm interested in an answer to this, too. Some company has ads in my Facebook for a system, but it's pretty pricey.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My Drift Ghost X has been working well for years. It's a bit long in the tooth but they have newer models available. With the expanded battery it ran for 6-8 hours, and it's swappable so you can just pop a new one in if you forgot to charge.

They can also take power from an external source and the WiFi transmitter in it can be used for streaming a video feed. I had it running 24/7 for a month while using it as a nest cam. I ran a USB extension to a battery pack that I replaced every couple of days.

http://burningjustice.net/img/flaps.mp4

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

My Drift Ghost X has been working well for years. It's a bit long in the tooth but they have newer models available. With the expanded battery it ran for 6-8 hours, and it's swappable so you can just pop a new one in if you forgot to charge.

They can also take power from an external source and the WiFi transmitter in it can be used for streaming a video feed. I had it running 24/7 for a month while using it as a nest cam. I ran a USB extension to a battery pack that I replaced every couple of days.

http://burningjustice.net/img/flaps.mp4

That looks promising.

And thanks for the obvious advice on just getting more mounts. For some reason, my broken brain was thinking that spending more on a single unit that I could move from bike to bike (and that would inevitably be left on a bike I didn't bring that day) would make more sense than just buying one for each of the bikes I ride. Derp.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's been long enough that there might be more options now from other manufacturers to fill in the bicycle dash cam niche, especially with more people commuting by bike during the pandemic. When I got that camera most bike cams were oriented to more action cam usage rather than boring "who should my family sue when I get eaten by a car", and action cams don't have the super long battery life you'd want in a dash cam.

I've been thinking of upgrading to a newer one anyways and using my existing camera as a rear facing cam. I remember hearing some talk about how a rear facing one is going to be more useful in the event of an accident, so why not cover all your bases with two cams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001

charliebravo77 posted:

The Garmin Varia radar has model with a camera that activates as cars get close/go past. They claim 6 hours of battery life. I’d imagine it’s a lot more expensive than a camera only set up though.

I’ve got the radar and taillight only model on my road bike and it’s been a game changer for being aware of vehicles.