Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
same

god I'm excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
TotK Preload Hype

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebOFIvAGG3Y

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Inzombiac posted:

I'm on the Pacific and preload for TOTK just started!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCeO4jRz4pE

:f5: :f5: :f5:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Well, back from visiting Hyrule Castle! A pain in the rear end! A thousand guardians, extremely confusing, enemies that deal 10 hearts per hit, and the lovely fact the last piece of the DLC armor is ABOVE THE FINAL BOSS. And it's a lovely 12 def set!

Oh well, at least I cleared the way, got a shitton of strong but brittle weapons, found a memory so only 3 left, read some diaries and cleared 2 related quests. And with that all DLC equips are mine so I can move to the next Divine Beast.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should make the legend of Zelda a link to the Future and the master sword is a laser and Ganon is space sheriff Ganon but got the first have of the game you think his name is Gavin until his true identity is revealed

And there's a fourth triforce that goes in the middle the triforce of space and some broad is the holder of that, midna probably, and Zelda has hair like princess Leia in Star wars but the metal bikini from return of the Jedi

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
TotK hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOB2mSALBiA

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

East Coast Canada, preload has begun! :toot:

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

how does NieR Automata run on switch? I like portability but also it's ten bucks cheaper on xbox

Chris Chichester
Oct 23, 2001
Fun Shoe
First time using the voucher’s. Anyone know if Nintendo sends a reminder before they expire or do I need to track that myself?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:sickos:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh apparently the DLC Royal Guard armor reduces the stamina cost of speeding up climbing/swimming by half so it has an actual use.

Still the castle sucked, ain't going back without an Ancient Shield and arrows. Specially since I left some stuff to do like a skeleton Hinox at jail after I saw Ancient Arrows were not massive damage.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Oh apparently the DLC Royal Guard armor reduces the stamina cost of speeding up climbing/swimming by half so it has an actual use.

Still the castle sucked, ain't going back without an Ancient Shield and arrows. Specially since I left some stuff to do like a skeleton Hinox at jail after I saw Ancient Arrows were not massive damage.

The music??

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Itshappening.gif

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
:thanks:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So watching this is making me wonder what the premise of Tears of the Kingdom is. "The heroes failed a hundred years ago and you're exploring the ruins" is a fantastic premise for an open world game. A lonely journey through ruins, meeting the few people making their lives in an empty world was the whole appeal of Breath of the Wild.

So if this is the same world, and the direct followup to that video- Zelda and Link are rebuilding a Hyrule that we already explored. Thoroughly. I guess there's stuff in the sky now and Gannondorf is doing something? But I can't imagine they'll come close to capturing the same appeal of the first game. And nothing I've heard suggests it'll be going in a totally different direction like they did when they followed up Ocarina of Time with Majora's Mask.

So like, without spoilers, do folks know what their angle is? I'm probably gonna get it 'cause it's been ages since I played Breath of the Wild back on the Wii U, but I can't bring myself to get that hyped about this new game 'cause I can't imagine a premise a fraction as compelling as the first coming out of this. What's the theoretical appeal of Tears of the Kingdom? I've only really seen the trailers.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Doesn't seem like as big of departure like between OOT and MM but it's the same general map, plus a ton of sky islands filled with fights and puzzles, caves and dungeons (allegedly).

Plus the new runes and Zonai equipment give you a metric rear end load of ways to gently caress around. The speed/gimmick runs of TOTK are probably going to be insane; even more than BOTW.

Edit: We don't actually know what the ground map is compared to BOTW. It's safe to assume the big hallmarks are the same but anything could have changed.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 6, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TotK preloaded :sickos:

This is gonna be the longest week ever lol

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay thread, what screen protector for the OLED switch do we like? I got the TOTK OLED and won't take it out of the box till I have the good one to put on.

(I realized I can sell my early switch for like $200, and blah blah blah I want it and can afford it so gently caress it). Also recommendations on a hand held grip?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
there could also be underground sections or a dark world or something wild, idk.

a buddy pirated it but he hasnt gotten very far in last i asked if there were real dungeons. i would assume the concrete answers to this are out there if you cared to risk knowing more than you bargained for by googling.

LionArcher posted:

Also recommendations on a hand held grip?

i like the hori split pad pro controller on my oled

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 6, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

LionArcher posted:

Okay thread, what screen protector for the OLED switch do we like? I got the TOTK OLED and won't take it out of the box till I have the good one to put on.

(I realized I can sell my early switch for like $200, and blah blah blah I want it and can afford it so gently caress it). Also recommendations on a hand held grip?

I like this Amfilm one with the idiot proof applicator

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Pls don't spoil the plot thx

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

hatty posted:

I bought Octopath Traveler 2 a few days ago even though Zelda is out in a little over a week and will consume my gaming time. Hopefully I can beat it before then

If you are on vacation for the next week or otherwise manage to play it for 8+ hours a day... maybe.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Eiba posted:

So watching this is making me wonder what the premise of Tears of the Kingdom is. "The heroes failed a hundred years ago and you're exploring the ruins" is a fantastic premise for an open world game. A lonely journey through ruins, meeting the few people making their lives in an empty world was the whole appeal of Breath of the Wild.

So if this is the same world, and the direct followup to that video- Zelda and Link are rebuilding a Hyrule that we already explored. Thoroughly. I guess there's stuff in the sky now and Gannondorf is doing something? But I can't imagine they'll come close to capturing the same appeal of the first game. And nothing I've heard suggests it'll be going in a totally different direction like they did when they followed up Ocarina of Time with Majora's Mask.

So like, without spoilers, do folks know what their angle is? I'm probably gonna get it 'cause it's been ages since I played Breath of the Wild back on the Wii U, but I can't bring myself to get that hyped about this new game 'cause I can't imagine a premise a fraction as compelling as the first coming out of this. What's the theoretical appeal of Tears of the Kingdom? I've only really seen the trailers.

I think from what we know (just from previews—I haven’t checked out what people playing the pirated copies are saying) the premise is… arguably kind of similar? From what I can tell it’s like this:

A hundred years ago, the Calamity, the Sheikah and their technology, yadda yadda, the plot of BotW, you know this.

But a thousand years ago, or something, Ganondorf was around, and a tribe called the Zonai fought him, and couldn’t defeat him sealed him away underground. The Zonai had advanced stuff just like the Sheikah and they used it to build floating sky islands, maybe to escape the surface? The sky islands then went away or were hidden. Some of their ruined structures are still around in the Hyrule we saw in BotW, but at the start of TotK something happens that brings back the sky islands. Then Link has to go on an adventure through a changed Hyrule, plus the sky islands and new underground areas, so you’re still exploring ruins of a people who failed to permanently defeat the evil and it’s still a bit lonely.

There’s probably also time travel involved in the plot so Link might also be traveling to the past to fight Ganondorf or rescue Zelda.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Eiba posted:

So watching this is making me wonder what the premise of Tears of the Kingdom is.

Gannon bad.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Waffle! posted:

Gannon bad.

:mods:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Eiba posted:

So watching this is making me wonder what the premise of Tears of the Kingdom is.

The royal family wants you to summarily execute a gerudo male for, reasons.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
The premise of TotK is that Nintendo kit bashed both Just Cause and Garry's Mod into BotW :amen:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Eiba posted:

link needs to get the flim flam so he can find the zim zam (a big magical animal) who tells him how to activate the bim bam to defeat ganon in a final battle

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Scuba Trooper posted:

how does NieR Automata run on switch? I like portability but also it's ten bucks cheaper on xbox

Really smooth. It’s not as pretty as on other platforms but it didn’t bother me.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Me want Zelda.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

The royal family wants you to summarily execute a gerudo male for, reasons.

It's called realpolitik, Link.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

This is just a guess, but perhaps they will go the Ocarina of Time route where you accidentally help Ganon take over Hyrule and then you spend the rest of the game trying to fix that?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Link takes a nap and oversleeps, zelda tries to do ~magic good thing~ but oops return of Ganon. Everybody else waits around for Link to do something about it, except for his best buds who get imprisoned and/or wasted.

Sorry if that's a spoiler just spitballing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffle! posted:

Gannon bad.

Canon Ganon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
has anybody ever tried engaging ganon in open and honest dialogue. he may have legitimate grievances and should be allowed to speak his truth