Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"Stick to what's real and possible" is the kind of poo poo that was being fed to us back in 2008 shortly after Obama won on his huge Hope and Change platform and proceeded to ditch it in favor of "well, it's the best we can do" centrism. Sorry, single payer, maybe you'll enjoy this regurgitated literally-from-a-Republican version. We just don't have the votes. Please ignore the supermajority and the fact that we could have just ended the filibuster.

At what point does it finally get to be too much? At what point do you stop going "duh, just vote harder so they have more power" and look at the real and actual harm going on across the nation's red states.

Voting rights are being eroded, trans and queer people are having laws passed that basically outlaw them from existing. Actual people are having to flee Texas and Florida because of their anti-LGBTQ poo poo. The time for actually standing up and loving doing something was years ago and our elected representatives continue to do gently caress all. Meanwhile the Supreme Court, the grand third part of our government that people were so up in arms over ~the sanctity of the system~ when Roe v. Wade got overturned is now coming out to be even more corrupt than anyone imagined and the court itself is like "So what? What're you going to do about it? :smug:"

I don't know any more. I don't understand people can look at how hosed up the system is and conclude that, well, we just can't do anything because votes. :(

Like seriously, lest we all loving forget:

maffew buildings posted:

packing the courts would have been a cool thing to do with control of government. and bad news, the fascists are going to get more radical regardless of whether they are given a reason or justification or whatever. being civil does not work.

Remember Garland and Amy Coney?

quote:

Democrats rebuked Republicans and accused them of hypocrisy, stating that they had violated their own interpretation of the Biden rule, which they set in 2016 when they refused to consider then-President Obama's nomination of Merrick Garland more than nine months before the end of his term.

Perpetual Lucy footballing. Oh no! I can't believe our literally evil counterparts, who at one point literally said their number-one priority above all else was loving over the president rather than actually try to govern, would pull an underhanded trick, and on top of that, one that literally everyone saw coming!

At what point do we collectively say "holy poo poo, pull your loving heads out of your asses and DO something" instead of continuing to make excuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zamujasa posted:

"Stick to what's real and possible" is the kind of poo poo that was being fed to us back in 2008 shortly after Obama won on his huge Hope and Change platform and proceeded to ditch it in favor of "well, it's the best we can do" centrism. Sorry, single payer, maybe you'll enjoy this regurgitated literally-from-a-Republican version. We just don't have the votes. Please ignore the supermajority and the fact that we could have just ended the filibuster.

At what point does it finally get to be too much? At what point do you stop going "duh, just vote harder so they have more power" and look at the real and actual harm going on across the nation's red states.

Voting rights are being eroded, trans and queer people are having laws passed that basically outlaw them from existing. Actual people are having to flee Texas and Florida because of their anti-LGBTQ poo poo. The time for actually standing up and loving doing something was years ago and our elected representatives continue to do gently caress all. Meanwhile the Supreme Court, the grand third part of our government that people were so up in arms over ~the sanctity of the system~ when Roe v. Wade got overturned is now coming out to be even more corrupt than anyone imagined and the court itself is like "So what? What're you going to do about it? :smug:"

I don't know any more. I don't understand people can look at how hosed up the system is and conclude that, well, we just can't do anything because votes. :(

Perpetual Lucy footballing. Oh no! I can't believe our literally evil counterparts, who at one point literally said their number-one priority above all else was loving over the president rather than actually try to govern, would pull an underhanded trick, and on top of that, one that literally everyone saw coming!

At what point do we collectively say "holy poo poo, pull your loving heads out of your asses and DO something" instead of continuing to make excuses.

That poo poo was so loving hosed.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

McNally posted:

The Democrats could have done literally anything and it would have been more meaningful than what they have done.

Be less of a dickwad in this subforum please.

Were we not just in the middle of discussing how the IRA and ARP have got the economy recovered in the fraction of the time it took to recover from 2008?

IIRC the ARP was the largest direct aid bill ever passed.

Ended the war in Afghanistan.

Also student loan forgiveness, it's out of their control that is hung up in the courts.

I think that falls under "literally anything".

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

God bless

https://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/ro...rles-coronation

quote:

Pranksters mow giant penis in lawn where party will be held to honour King Charles' coronation

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

How do you reference the real harm being done in red states and not make the connection to why getting more votes is necessary? Do you see that in the states the Democrats have enough control to do things?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
CDC Director Rochelle Walensky to step down June 30

quote:

Rochelle Walensky, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is stepping down June 30. She made the announcement during an all-staff meeting Friday, crying as she finished her remarks, according to employees who tuned in.

Walensky, who has come under fire for the CDC’s failure to respond effectively to the coronavirus pandemic, had announced plans last year for extensive changes, including faster release of scientific findings and easier-to-understand guidance.

Within minutes of Walensky’s announcement, the White House sent out a statement from President Biden praising her “steadfast and unwavering focus on the health of every American.”

“As Director of the CDC, she led a complex organization on the front lines of a once-in-a-generation pandemic with honesty and integrity,” Biden said. “She marshaled our finest scientists and public health experts to turn the tide on the urgent crises we’ve faced. Dr. Walensky leaves CDC a stronger institution, better positioned to confront health threats and protect Americans. We have all benefited from her service and dedication to public health, and I wish her the best in her next chapter.”

Walensky also reflected on her tenure in an email to staff on Friday.

“The end of the covid-19 public health emergency marks a tremendous transition for our country, for public health, and in my tenure as CDC Director. I took on this role with the goal of leaving behind the dark days of the pandemic and moving CDC — and public health — forward into a much better and more trusted place,” Walensky wrote, touting the administration of hundreds of millions of vaccines. “In the process, we safely opened schools and businesses, saved and improved lives, and protected the country and the world from the greatest infectious-disease threat we have seen in over 100 years.”

Walensky’s tenure was marked by tensions with Republicans, who have launched probes into whether the CDC coordinated its school-opening guidance with teachers’ unions. Both Republicans and Democrats have criticized the agency’s mixed messaging on when to wear masks, isolate when infected and take other precautions.

Jeff Zients, White House chief of staff, had developed frustrations with Walensky and her communication style during his tenure as covid coordinator in 2021 and in early 2022, according to current and former White House officials. They said Walensky went off-script during a March 2021 covid briefing when she spoke of a feeling of “impending doom” about a potential covid surge.

Zients met earlier this year with Walensky to discuss her future in the administration, said two people who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal White House conversations.

Walensky’s departure will create another hole in the most senior ranks of the nation’s health leadership, with White House covid coordinator Ashish Jha set to leave this month, former infectious-disease director Anthony S. Fauci recently retired and no confirmed head of the National Institutes of Health. The White House also has yet to name a director for its new pandemic response office, which is set to inherit some pandemic-preparedness work after the White House covid response team disbands this month. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), chairman of the Senate health panel, this week vowed that future nominees to lead CDC and other health agencies must commit to an agenda of drug-price cuts.

Now that the Post mentions it, that is a lot of offices to fill.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Jarmak posted:

How do you reference the real harm being done in red states and not make the connection to why getting more votes is necessary? Do you see that in the states the Democrats have enough control to do things?

Voting more is something that needs to be done, but it isn't the only solution, nor is it the only thing that can or should be done right now. It's the bare minimum. And when people are actively being disenfranchised from it at this moment, voting right now isn't going to help.

But you have to give people something to vote for, and by Biden's own mouth they campaigned on nothing will fundamentally change. You can't just whip up more votes when your party is as appealing as a hot steaming turd.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

brb updating my will to ensure there's a giant penis at my funeral

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

Voting more is something that needs to be done, but it isn't the only solution, nor is it the only thing that can or should be done right now. It's the bare minimum. And when people are actively being disenfranchised from it at this moment, voting right now isn't going to help.

But you have to give people something to vote for, and by Biden's own mouth they campaigned on nothing will fundamentally change. You can't just whip up more votes when your party is as appealing as a hot steaming turd.

Okay that's fair.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I think the dems are probably sticking on the defensive because they realize that there is more dirt to dig and they are in an incredibly tenuous spot. Biden is old as gently caress and not a super well loved president, despite doing a pretty good job. They 100% are looking to avoid any unforced errors that could hurt his campaign, I would imagine that there may be some skeletons in the closet of the Liberal SCOTUS justices that they are concerned might get brought to the forefront.

Zamujasa posted:

What are you suggesting be done exactly?

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 6, 2023

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zamujasa posted:

trans and queer people are having laws passed that basically outlaw them from existing.

They actually go even further, because once you reach a certain point in transition taking away our hrt doesn't just detransition us, it can literally kill us because we lose the ability to produce our own hormones. People are going to start dying some pretty hosed up deaths soon because of this poo poo.

Did you know your body can't store calcium effectively if you don't have any sex hormones?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Jarmak posted:

Were we not just in the middle of discussing how the IRA and ARP have got the economy recovered in the fraction of the time it took to recover from 2008?

IIRC the ARP was the largest direct aid bill ever passed.

Also student loan forgiveness, it's out of their control that is hung up in the courts.

I think that falls under "literally anything".

Not in the context of the exact thing under discussion, being the Democrats rolling on business-as-usual as Republicans are doing their damnedest to dismantle the republic.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Grip it and rip it posted:

I think the dems are probably sticking on the defensive because they realize that there is more dirt to dig and they are in an incredibly tenuous spot. Biden is old as gently caress and not a super well loved president, despite doing a pretty good job. They 100% are looking to avoid any unforced errors that could hurt his campaign, I would imagine that there may be some skeletons in the closet of the Liberal SCOTUS justices that they are concerned might get brought to the forefront.

Tend to agree with this.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

RFC2324 posted:

They actually go even further, because once you reach a certain point in transition taking away our hrt doesn't just detransition us, it can literally kill us because we lose the ability to produce our own hormones. People are going to start dying some pretty hosed up deaths soon because of this poo poo.

Did you know your body can't store calcium effectively if you don't have any sex hormones?

this is actually incredibly funny because i ended up in the hospital and they told me my calcium was pretty low

i was diagnosed with low t something like 10 years ago

that's a funny way to learn about this

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zamujasa posted:

this is actually incredibly funny because i ended up in the hospital and they told me my calcium was pretty low

i was diagnosed with low t something like 10 years ago

that's a funny way to learn about this

Its why menopause turns womens bones so fragile. The severe drop in E associated screws us over.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

It's just the people of Cerne Abbas giving the new King a... *ahem* giant welcome in the traditional manner.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Jarmak posted:

That was Trump FWIW.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Jarmak posted:

Voting doesn't matter when votes won't change thigns on the state and local level, where things are set up to ensure that no matter how many votes dems get, the republicans still win. Wherep eople are having voting rights stripped away and districts gerrymandered to gently caress.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Fivemarks posted:

Voting doesn't matter when votes won't change thigns on the state and local level, where things are set up to ensure that no matter how many votes dems get, the republicans still win. Wherep eople are having voting rights stripped away and districts gerrymandered to gently caress.

Sure it will. Up until the Trump presidency there was a federal right to abortion in red states. Now there isn't. There are likely other rights that Republicans will seek to peel back if they get into the majority in congress/presidency that could continue to harm people that live in Red States. Voting also matters because it signals to politicians how strongly people feel about certain policy positions. The idea that voting doesn't matter is a bullshit copout. There are millions of people who are denied that right every single year as part of an intentional effort to stymie progress in this country. Republican strategists wouldn't continue to spend millions of dollars to continue that process if it wasn't effective and useful to them.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Fivemarks posted:

This kind of thinking suppresses turnout and leads to self fulfilling outcomes. Voter fraud claims are a prime example.

Be the change you believe in or whatever but local actions and voting matter. Cole was engaged on a local level and now I'm curious how it turned out and how he feels about it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

That was Trump FWIW.

I don't credit Trump because I don't think he would have followed through but sure, I think it's reasonable to contest that.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I used to be very much in the 'don't talk like this it won't drive votes' camp too - you can see it in my post history in this very subforum - but I've turned a pretty sharp corner on that.

The fact of the matter is that civil rights continue to erode in part because of Dems clutching desperately to status quo horse race politics. Instead of actively addressing issues, the most powerful among them are holding them hostage and saying 'well the other guys are worse.' Either way I look at it, currently, we're either voting for fash, or the people who enable them.

Most people are still going to vote for the enablers because it is demonstrably the lesser of two evils, AND buys us some time, but that is quite literally the absolute 100% best Biden and his poo poo-for-brains admin can offer us. And that's not even that much. Time-wise? Consider everything that's happened to human rights within the span of one year - the Dobbs leak was just one year ago - and ask yourself how much longer we can actually afford to vote for even the "slow slide" into total fascism.

GOP told us what they were going to do with Roe and ~us queers~ for the past five decades and no one who was in any position to do anything listened. Saying 'well it's just not the time to do anything now' is always the excuse, and always has been. People are literally dying, right now, because of the human rights rollbacks in the past year. 'Give it time' is not an answer, least of all for people like me, who are twice in the line of fire, and doing our best to help friends and loved ones that have been turned into literal political refugees.

Now, yeah, I don't know what to do about that either, but I sure as hell know that voting Biden is maybe just buying people 12 or so extra months of lagtime before things get real fuckin awful and everyone's like 'gosh IDK IDK how we could've seen this coming. Which demographics didn't vote hard enough?'

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 6, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
So you're proposing what exactly? What is the better proposal other than buying more time at this juncture? Also just a note but Presidential elections are held every 4 years so there would presumably be a 4 year window for other organizing efforts to take place to try and address these issues.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
You have to vote because it buys time and prevents things from getting worse. If you're stalling for time because you don't have a coalition powerful enough to effect change, you need to use that time to build that coalition. Stalling without a plan leads nowhere. I thought this stuff was obvious.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The Dems could start with actually doing some good advertising and local political pushes. Think of all those town council races and local Board of Eds to which $50k is a kingdom.

I want them to actually do the things

But signal boosting the few good things they did do is a start

And advertising what they want to do and what republicans are doing opposite is also going to be good.

Instead they are mice. AoC and Fetterman are exceptions to the rule

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lol sick they just promoted Buzz Aldrin to brig general

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Lol sick they just promoted Buzz Aldrin to brig general

Surprised the Space Force didn't do it first

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

M_Gargantua posted:

The Dems could start with actually doing some good advertising and local political pushes. Think of all those town council races and local Board of Eds to which $50k is a kingdom.

I want them to actually do the things

But signal boosting the few good things they did do is a start

And advertising what they want to do and what republicans are doing opposite is also going to be good.

Instead they are mice. AoC and Fetterman are exceptions to the rule

Thought AOC turned into a grifting piece of poo poo or something post election?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Nick Soapdish posted:

Surprised the Space Force didn't do it first

They did do it. Kinda surprised it wasn’t done years ago really.

https://news.yahoo.com/buzz-aldrin-named-honorary-brigadier-015335607.html

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

TheWeedNumber posted:

Thought AOC turned into a grifting piece of poo poo or something post election?

You’re thinking of Synema.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

hannibal posted:

They did do it. Kinda surprised it wasn’t done years ago really.

https://news.yahoo.com/buzz-aldrin-named-honorary-brigadier-015335607.html

When I saw the picture, I thought it was AF since the last time I saw a SF dress uniform it looked way worse. Which is really an incredible thing to be worse than the bus driver uniform

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
AOC helped crush the railroad union because, she says, “rank + file” wanted her to crush them, somehow.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Platystemon posted:

AOC helped crush the railroad union because, she says, “rank + file” wanted her to crush them, somehow.

For what it's worth though, there's been a lot of behind-the-scenes wrangling between the administration, railway unions, and the railroad companies and there's some positive progress going on. So the "Biden and Democrats hosed the railroad unions" hit isn't as clean as it used to be. That whole deal really had no winners.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/jan-6-rioter-pink-beret-identified-ex-spotted-viral-fbi-tweet-rcna82286

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE GOT HER

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

“She’s clearly, like, a lost person,” he said, but added there needs to be accountability for people who stormed the Capitol.

He said he was struck by the sheer randomness of learning that an ex-girlfriend was on the FBI’s wanted list because of viral Twitter jokes.

“It’s just going to be one of those things for me,” the designer joked. “I dated this girl that was on the FBI’s most wanted list.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is the kind of thing that I don’t like about Joe Biden.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1654218088760373250

Context:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1291022609249898498
https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1571558193725165569

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Man would have made exemplary infantry

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Platystemon posted:

I don’t like about Joe Biden.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/scoopjefferson/status/1654975125572268033

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1654993928574074881

Usually Satanic Death Cult members aren't as obvious about their beliefs. And this dude doesn't even worship the fun Satan mentioned in some Ghost songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
just literally going "well, someone else is in control of everything", huh