Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Today marks the 20th anniversary of Ray starting his advice column. https://www.achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=04302003&allnav=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

mutantIke posted:

Today marks the 20th anniversary of Ray starting his advice column. https://www.achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=04302003&allnav=1

Oh, I'm taking Ray's advice
'Cause you know that Ray is wise
About important stuff
Like alcohol and drugs... and love

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Antivehicular posted:

Oh, I'm taking Ray's advice
'Cause you know that Ray is wise
About important stuff
Like alcohol and drugs... and love

Does she wanna French with me, how am I gonna know
What should I wear, what can I say
Should I move to Thailand, please tell me Ray

(Man, MC Frontalot sounded real rough back then)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I told you that story to tell you this story.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 1, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eau de MacGowan posted:

are there any good teodor arcs? the only other one i can recall offhand is 'teodor gets raped in a van'

Look at the GENIUS! Look at him stand in his ROOM!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
During Occupy Wall Street, there was achewood graffiti on a door:
In the minds of the main mattering men, the speed up before the slow down adds to the art of the artifice.

Or is it the slow down before the speed up? Whatever

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

CannonFodder posted:

During Occupy Wall Street, there was achewood graffiti on a door:
In the minds of the main mattering men, the speed up before the slow down adds to the art of the artifice.

Or is it the slow down before the speed up? Whatever

How dare you have a terrible cocaine addiction during Occupy Wall Street!

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Teodor always struck me as the most inserted of the self insert characters.

There's lots of Onstad in everyone in the strip but Teodor always seemed the most grounded in reality to me. It's sorta hard to explain but if Beef is one end of Onstad's emotions, and Ray is the manic opposite than Teodor is kinda the hapless fuckup middle zone that men of a certain age and background wallow in

Also as an alcoholic in recovery, the description of Teodor's bender and shutdown in Cookbook 2 is 100% a thing that Onstad did. Between that and Ray's bottoming out in the Pho parking lot I saw a lot of similarities in my Real Life poo poo.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I saw a lot of similarities in my Real Life poo poo.

Things ain't ever the same once you seen a dudes stew

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

smarxist posted:

Things ain't ever the same once you seen a dudes stew

Is...is this a friend's arrest

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Teodor always struck me as the most inserted of the self insert characters.

There's lots of Onstad in everyone in the strip but Teodor always seemed the most grounded in reality to me. It's sorta hard to explain but if Beef is one end of Onstad's emotions, and Ray is the manic opposite than Teodor is kinda the hapless fuckup middle zone that men of a certain age and background wallow in

Also as an alcoholic in recovery, the description of Teodor's bender and shutdown in Cookbook 2 is 100% a thing that Onstad did. Between that and Ray's bottoming out in the Pho parking lot I saw a lot of similarities in my Real Life poo poo.

I don't think that it's an accident that Onstad's middle name is Todd.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SacrificialGoat posted:

I don't think that it's an accident that Onstad's middle name is Todd.

He's a crappy little bullshit man?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

That guy's a business?!

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

There are many ways to go
Some are fast, some are slow
Some guys go by their own hand
Some get hit by their friend's van

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

:siren: Achewood is back y'all, but you'll pay for the privilege :siren:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

A second cookbook and now new Achewood strips? Jesus Christ literally nobody could have predicted these things happening, somebody check on the temperature of Hell. Also they redesigned the site and it links to blogs that were published on the same day as strips! That's a HUGE improvement!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
2 patrons

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm gonna sign up for a couple months at least. I've had an insane amount of entertainment for free* for like 20yrs.

* Aside from a t-shirt, a mousemat, and some stickers.

Johnny Cleanslice
Apr 25, 2022
Patron count was 2 before I signed up and hasn't moved, haha

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
Suppose that explains why the site was down earlier. Will probably sign up for a few months in a few months, should also probably pick up the cookbook

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the site now allows for infinite scrolling and suggests you rotate your phone to landscape to look at it

the future!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

poo poo, yeah, this is definitely gonna get 14 bucks a month out of me

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I will gamble a stamp. If Onstad shits the bed with the lights on, well, in a couple of months I will feel I compensated the man for the joy his work has brought me on the road to the grave.

I am cautiously encouraged by the initial content. Things have changed, yet others have not.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
So has plans for that announced Oni omnibus disappeared into the ether? :ohdear:

But color me surprised at this return. gently caress it, it's me, the guy who now has a webcomic patreon subscription.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

So has plans for that announced Oni omnibus disappeared into the ether? :ohdear:

Oni exploded, iirc

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

the new comic made me laugh and he has some other written stuff on there like a transcript of beef and pat doing a podcast, good stuff so far

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Incredible miss to not have a $6 tier (a cute amount of money), a $7 tier (never was anyone promised as much as that seven dollars) or a $600 tier (class money, and surely some whale would soak that for a few months).

(I did it at $14, like a sucker)

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I would sacrifice adblockers in an instant if I knew they were responsible for the death of free, independent internet art (especially webcomics). It's a miracle MSPA stayed profitable for that long before Viz Media stepped in and Viz'd all over it. Will definitely be paying for this

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
It is a foregone conclusion that I will give Onstad a bit of my cash shortly, but I am curious regardless.

How’re the new strips?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It's just one so far but it had that old Achewood charm. I'm only at the 5 bux tier but considering upping my tier to get some of the extras now..

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I don’t have any money and will not be doing this but I’m happy onstad is back on the horse. Hope it’s good

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Doesn’t the listing say there’s several months of strips already available?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

moot the hopple posted:

It's just one so far but it had that old Achewood charm. I'm only at the 5 bux tier but considering upping my tier to get some of the extras now..

Poddin' with Pat and Beef is pretty good, I'm glad to see more zine-style stuff come out of this too.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

morestuff posted:

Doesn’t the listing say there’s several months of strips already available?

Yes, but they'll be doled out weekly over the next several months. Good plan, as he's a bit of a ditherer.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I don’t have any money and will not be doing this but I’m happy onstad is back on the horse. Hope it’s good

Same here, it's a shame. Would love to get into the inner circle on this one but hey, who knows what'll happen

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
The comic was fine but the Beef and Pat article is hit-the-ground-running quality. there's even Lore Development!

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 6, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Subscribed!

edit: Not doing so would be a real moof-up.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Gonna need to hear from the very top tier subs. Especially about those guitar tabs he promised

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Subscribing because i want onstad to have a little walking around money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

My first thought about this was "oh poo poo does this mean they're not gonna do the party for season 3 of brain tape" and I think I might have gone soft in the noggin