Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The fact that "the ring tempts you" just leads to more and bigger and more positive effects rather than edging you closer and closer to your doom is some weak-rear end design.

Yeah, it being all upside is really stupid. Flavor-wise there should be some parts that let opponents create nazgul tokens or cause you to lose the game if you are tempted too much.

I guess the lose the game will be on other cards, but it seems like it should be an aspect of the ring itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I assumed it was gonna be some demonic pact style effect.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is really good tech, and yeah I am swapping the Make Disappear out for it... I missed it on first pass because I thought of it not fitting into "mono-U" but hitting the kicker is actually pretty trivial, the Mycosynth Gardens and Mirrex work just as well to get the B

Thanks, but I can't take the credit for it. I was playing a monoU permission deck that was designed to be a loving nightmare, and swapping Fading Hope for Vortex and the Swamp/SNC fetchlands to kick it really worked.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Frodo just didn’t take the ring off and pass to Sam enough times to get the sweet buffs

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The fact that "the ring tempts you" just leads to more and bigger and more positive effects rather than edging you closer and closer to your doom is some weak-rear end design.

Yeah that's a pretty weird flavor fail tbh. At the very least I feel like if the ring tempts you enough times you should lose the game

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Boromir was right

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
LSV looks like he's been lying dead in water for 5 days

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is there a link to the stream? WOTC is horrible at advertising this.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there a link to the stream? WOTC is horrible at advertising this.

https://www.twitch.tv/magic

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Thankee

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I wish they printed a legend named Kosita

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Lollllll

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
LotR set seems like a total dud. Ugly art, weak cards (bc they know they don't need to be good cards), weak thematic elements.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

That's one of the symptoms of crypto kool-aid poisoning

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Starting to think standard is unfixable until fable rotates or is banned.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Khanstant posted:

LotR set seems like a total dud. Ugly art, weak cards (bc they know they don't need to be good cards), weak thematic elements.

Gotta agree about the art

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Starting to think standard is unfixable until fable rotates or is banned.

Standard is really fun right now with a lot of deck diversity. Fable probably isn't even on my top 10 of cards I'm ready to see rotate.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

im excited for the doc who precons :kiddo:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

Standard is really fun right now with a lot of deck diversity. Fable probably isn't even on my top 10 of cards I'm ready to see rotate.

It's all over the pro tour right now and a lot of the decks are just variations of rakdos value piles. It's not awful but I'm not personally a fan.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I haven't looked forward to a standard rotation this hard since 2020, everything right now is a boring midrange deck because there's too much good removal for aggro or big chunguses to be a thing, and no good combos for that to be a thing

MID/VOW/NEO/SNC can't get the gently caress out fast enough imo

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
These Rakdos/Grixis reanimator piles are pretty fun honestly. The mirrors just devolving into who gets better Etali hits off the top of each deck is hilarious

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It's all over the pro tour right now and a lot of the decks are just variations of rakdos value piles. It's not awful but I'm not personally a fan.

Ah I wasn't watching yet so I was thinking it was more of a general venting from playing standard. The pro tour streams I've watched in the past seemed to all love playing big piles of just the best things from a few colours. I built a few of the Esper and Grixis and Rakdos goodstuff pipe decks and they're not bad but they're not as fun as a deck with a more cohesive theme.

The shared souls combo wasn't that far from those but the Convo made the deck more fun even if it's technically be more consistent swapping all those parts for noncombo stuff.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The only reason I'm looking forward to rotation is then I'll be forced to stop trying to make Willow Geist work

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

yah i think the frodo revealed card.. i thought you'd lose the game if you got tempted by the ring 4 times but it looks like the player you're attacking loses the game. kinda sucks there's no penalty at all. maybe people would be less willing to play it? but as-is its just another mechanic like dungeon or stickers or whatever that you now possibly have to track.

not sure if anyone else watched but they're gonna be double dipping LOTR with a holiday release.

quote:

In addition to our June 23 release, we have a little more in store for The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth this year. Arriving November 3, some exciting additions that share more from The Lord of Rings include:

Scene Boxes—discover beautiful traditional foil borderless scene cards depicting new moments from The Lord of the Rings.

Collector Booster: Special Edition—packed with a new treatment and a special edition for longtime Magic and The Lord of the Rings fans.

The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth™ Jumpstart Volume 2—adding more themes to mix and match within The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth.

November's releases for The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth build on the excitement of the set just in time for the holidays!

So a special edition collector booster.. jesus...

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

also during Commander Masters Draft events.. all monocolored the commanders will have partner.

edit: i previously wrote "all" meant, "all monocolored"

quote:

Commander Masters has a unique addition only for the Draft environment: only during Commander Masters Commander Draft, all monocolored Legendary Creatures have the Partner ability.
The Partner ability allows a player to have two commanders, as long as each one has Partner. Please keep in mind that this information is not displayed anywhere on the product packaging, as it only applies during Commander Masters Commander Draft events.
Allowing monocolored Legendary Creatures to have Partner in the Commander Draft environment allows players some flexibility while they draft, since in Commander, the cards in a deck must match the color identity of the chosen commander.
https://wpn.wizards.com/en/news/dates-and-details-for-commander-masters
edit: the revealed commanders

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 6, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
So, not all commanders. Just the monocolored commanders will have that? Seems like a clever rule to make Commander draft work better.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

also the doctor who universe beyond which should only be commander decks... also have collector boosters...

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Doctor-Collector-Booster/dp/B0C3TDDX49?ref_=ast_sto_dp
COLLECT RARE & SPECIAL ALT-FRAME CARDS—Collector Boosters are a shortcut to the coolest Doctor Who cards; every booster contains 7–14 cards of rarity Rare or higher and tons of special card treatments, including 6–7 Extended-Art cards

DIMENSIONALLY TRANSCENDENTAL TREATMENTS—Every pack also contains 2 Showcase TARDIS cards, using the Chameleon Circuit to turn Magic cards into your favorite time-and-spaceship with alt-frames and alt-art

FULL OF SHINING FOIL CARDS—Get more shiny cards than you can shake a sonic screwdriver at; each pack contains a total of 12 cards that gleam with a gorgeous foil treatment, including 3–10 special Surge Foils

-----

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Strong Sauce posted:

yah i think the frodo revealed card.. i thought you'd lose the game if you got tempted by the ring 4 times but it looks like the player you're attacking loses the game. kinda sucks there's no penalty at all. maybe people would be less willing to play it? but as-is its just another mechanic like dungeon or stickers or whatever that you now possibly have to track.

not sure if anyone else watched but they're gonna be double dipping LOTR with a holiday release.

So a special edition collector booster.. jesus...

A flavor slam-dunk for tempted by the Ring would have been zero changes to the way it works now... except you'd lose 1 life each time you were tempted and already had all four effects. I know their surveys show that players hate cards with any sort of downside so thinking that they'd use one in their "get a new fanbase to give us money" set was wishful thinking.

As for the face Commanders:

Abzan: I don't like exiling my own stuff to get effects because I'm still in the EDH way of thinking (as opposed to Commander way) where I'll get to reuse my stuff over and over. In Abzan especially though, there's enough reanimate and regrowth effects to make the ability less good. Right? Eh.

Colorless: Neat. If this doesn't include some of the Big Three Eldrazi though it's a waste, because those are some expensive upgrades. Please reprint All is Dust.

Guff: I hate Superfriends. It's too good at the casual to powerful range and I assume drops off a cliff for cEDH.

Slivers: I just want this one for the reprints... I think. Imagining playing Slivers gives me a headache. A potential commander that you want in your graveyard is interesting though. There aren't many. The new Slimefoot and Squee is the only one I can think of.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/c...t=1&utm_term=15

I don’t know anything about Doctor Who but I hope they keep putting this amount of care and attention into these UB sets.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

So “tempted by the ring” is like they took the concept of a Voltron deck and turned it into a set mechanic? A creature of your choice gets increasingly better and there a bunch of cards that play off if that or have additional benefits if they are the chosen creature?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Welp, I've played enough Arena and haven't been to an FNM long enough that the full 90 degree tap now looks weird to me.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Sauron, the Necromancer

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TotalHell posted:

So “tempted by the ring” is like they took the concept of a Voltron deck and turned it into a set mechanic? A creature of your choice gets increasingly better and there a bunch of cards that play off if that or have additional benefits if they are the chosen creature?

The ring gets better, and a creature of your choice will have the ring

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I love sagas but there's something about these mechanics that are "there are so many modular changing abilities that you need these non-game objects with the information" that rubs me the wrong way

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

More dumb hobbit poo poo

https://twitter.com/Kesswylie/status/1654688545989328896

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Have they said if the LotR set includes stuff from The Hobbit? My family would love seeing a Smaug card.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The turn out for FNM at my closest LGS was huge today. FIrst time I have been in a years. The shop was revamped last year. Most surprising is just as many showed up to play flesh and blood.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fadam posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/c...t=1&utm_term=15

I don’t know anything about Doctor Who but I hope they keep putting this amount of care and attention into these UB sets.

so one of these is gonna have the tenth doctor's fez as an equipment right

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"Lobelia sacksville-baggins shows up when someone's creature dies to steal it's spoons" makes up for every lore fuckup they could possibly make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

these blown up cards have an alt-art version on them