Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Since I prefer the rank style games (AoS is still better than WHFB was) I purchased a Mantic starter set for a faction that was not present in WHFB, some sort of underwater creatures. They were the worst loving miniatures I have ever seen and to this day they sit unassembled in a box in my craft closet. Sometimes I pull them out thinking they might be fun to build, but then I look at them and am immediately turned off.

As far as competitors to TOW the 3d print world really has ToW and rank and flank covered. Titan-Forge models makes some really, really good stuff. OPR also has a lot of fun stuff that is distinctly different from what GW offered that is fun as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

As far as competitors to TOW the 3d print world really has ToW and rank and flank covered. Titan-Forge models makes some really, really good stuff. OPR also has a lot of fun stuff that is distinctly different from what GW offered that is fun as well.

Those 3d companies are fantastic, however my personal favorite is a smaller one called Highland Miniatures, their designs are really good and pretty close to GWs style.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 5, 2023

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Cooked Auto posted:

Made their own statue made out of trash, painted it gold and put in the parking lot in front of their front door. I'm sure there are pictures of it somewhere still.
It came off as incredibly childish and petty in my eyes.

Pretty sure that was a Photoshop of some arms on a giant tube of super glue.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Since I prefer the rank style games (AoS is still better than WHFB was) I purchased a Mantic starter set for a faction that was not present in WHFB, some sort of underwater creatures. They were the worst loving miniatures I have ever seen and to this day they sit unassembled in a box in my craft closet. Sometimes I pull them out thinking they might be fun to build, but then I look at them and am immediately turned off.

I bought a few boxes of wargames atlantic conquistadors and thats your empire foot troops right there

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Pretty sure that was a Photoshop of some arms on a giant tube of super glue.

I honestly can't remember nowadays and can't be arsed to look it up either. v:v:v

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Geisladisk posted:

The dumbest thing about Kirby by far is that he and the leadership at the time thought they were purely a model company and the games were an afterthought, and that few of their customers actually played the game. He also openly scoffed at the notion of tournaments.

The result was that the game development team was barely supported and the rules were dogshit.

The quality of all of their games started sharply improving the moment he left.

The gameplay of "if you kick your opponent so hard in the dick he crumples to his knees, you win" is the platonic ideal of gameplay

The double turn is up there but you can apparently that's good game design for ???reasons???

Edit: I think there were also scenarios in AOS 1e that if you tabled your opponent, you won. However, with how the rules were written you could take unkillable terrain in your army and thus it was impossible to lose that scenario

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 5, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have heard this story many times. I have a mantic giant and hooooly poo poo was it a pos to assemble

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AnEdgelord posted:

One the things about the bad old days people often forget that codexes/army books could go SEVERAL editions without an update and you were lucky to get one FAQ a year and it would never answer what you wanted.

My Bretonnians were from 6th edition and had to play 7th ed Daemons.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

The double turn is up there but you can apparently that's good game design for ???reasons???

The reason that the priority roll is good game design is that it makes the game way more interesting and fun while raising the skill ceiling of the game considerably.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I would generally agree with that, but both priority and battalions would be better if battalions were more strict, gave you their ability, and were each one drop.

Death to battle regiment.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

serious gaylord posted:

My Bretonnians were from 6th edition and had to play 7th ed Daemons.

to be fair as covered above no book before or since 7e daemons could compete with them, it was the single most egregious faction book in the history of GW

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Priority roll in combination with perks for going second in missions is a good thing because forces you to make choices when you get it, makes you play around it, and importantly is an aspect you can't control so it keeps the unfun powergamers who move models with their water bottles in 40k.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
How few models can you sensibly get away with running in Nurgle demons? I don't really understand AoS, but it seems like you can go Befouling Host and satisfy battleline requirements with 3 Beasts of Nurgle? Then just load up on Great Unclean Ones? How terrible is that?

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

MCPeePants posted:

How few models can you sensibly get away with running in Nurgle demons? I don't really understand AoS, but it seems like you can go Befouling Host and satisfy battleline requirements with 3 Beasts of Nurgle? Then just load up on Great Unclean Ones? How terrible is that?

It's the only choice, run it

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Not good, but very funny.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MCPeePants posted:

In Canada, this costs:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

What the gently caress? Sorry I had to double take how? Like how?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Great Unclean One is like $250rrp in Australia

$243 from GW

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 6, 2023

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

In Canada, this costs:

I'm not what you'd call very beholden to official gw product.

However, yes, lol indeed.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
There are infinite good GUO stls out there.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

If you're going to 3d print go for a greater clean one, honestly much more disturbing.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Angry Lobster posted:

Those 3d companies are fantastic, however my personal favorite is a smaller one called Highland Miniatures, their designs are really good and pretty close to GWs style.

I have dire wolfs and blood knights from highland - wolfs are fine indeed and they add varaiety but knights compared to the ones from gw are "we have blood knights at home" quality

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Covermeinsunshine posted:

I have dire wolfs and blood knights from highland - wolfs are fine indeed and they add varaiety but knights compared to the ones from gw are "we have blood knights at home" quality

I see what you mean, that unit design is certainly not top tier. I'm more familiar with their Empire and dwarfs range, especially the former which is great. If someday I decided to complete my half-finished Empire army, I'll use their models.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Angry Lobster posted:

I see what you mean, that unit design is certainly not top tier. I'm more familiar with their Empire and dwarfs range, especially the former which is great. If someday I decided to complete my half-finished Empire army, I'll use their models.

Yeah compared to ancient empire sculpts they are improvement for sure.

If you are looking for a twist on human soldiers I dig this guys design https://www.myminifactory.com/users/Herospawnspot

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What's the timeline like on the new cities range anyway? I suppose around Christmas since they're showing things, but I'm not sure how long GW usually spend showing off minis before selling them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The AoS Roadmap says Autumn, so expect around september to november maybe.
And how much they will show off depends on how many reveal streams they'll host, and new mini mondays as well.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Im very much hoping that the Cities of Sigmar revamp comes with some cityscapes.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

War and Pieces posted:

Im very much hoping that the Cities of Sigmar revamp comes with some cityscapes.

like, city themed terrain?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

like, city themed terrain?

yes we need like fishmonger stalls and maybe a big huge pile of gold with a set of scales

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

War and Pieces posted:

yes we need like fishmonger stalls and maybe a big huge pile of gold with a set of scales

fun fact: at least in aqshy no one (except fyreslayers) barters in gold - water is used as currency

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Covermeinsunshine posted:

fun fact: at least in aqshy no one (except fyreslayers) barters in gold - water is used as currency

In Soulbound Aqua Ghryanis (magic water that heals you) is used as currency across all realms, because its uh, a magical healing potion

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Which is kind of useful in a universe where fights happen

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Annointed posted:

Which is kind of useful in a universe where fights happen

IRL we should move to the Paracetamol standard.

10 pills for a sandwich.
30,000 for the AoS v4 box set.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Z the IVth posted:

10 pills for a sandwich.

Z the IVth posted:

10 pills for a sandwich.

We should set up a betting pool for thwt.

Stormcast vs What?

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

We should set up a betting pool for thwt.

Stormcast vs What?

Stormcast vs Stormcast: Sigmarumble in heaven

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/07/sunday-preview-horrors-descend-in-warcry-nightmare-quest/

Another slow weekend of releases, just the new Warcry box and the previous old teams by themselves.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/07/sunday-preview-horrors-descend-in-warcry-nightmare-quest/

Another slow weekend of releases, just the new Warcry box and the previous old teams by themselves.

You call that slow I just bought wyrdhollow. Only thing that saves my wallet this month is that gallowfall is gone already but this warcry box is must have for me

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Slow for some, terrible for others? v:v:v

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Just when I thought I was out of Underworlds and Warcry, they pull me back in :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

moths posted:

It was a trip watching Mantic speedrun from aping cool fun 80's GW to the weird licenses, bloat, and unnecessary edition shifts of 2000's GW.

It's kind of incredible how not just Mantic but other would-be GW killers like Warmahordes, Flames of War, Malifaux, Infinity, etc decided to nosedive directly into the worst of GW bullshit just as GW started to dig itself out